Gauthier Select Vineyards Los Chamizal Zinfandel 3-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶4̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2011 Los Chamizal Vineyard Sonoma Valley Zinfandel
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

I had the pleasure of trying this at a friends place about a month ago. No notes taken, but this was one of the favorites across 6 or so wines. Good structure, clean hi toned fruit, nice balance. Definitely a "higher end" zin.

bunnyb0y

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyb0y
trifecta wrote:I had the pleasure of trying this at a friends place about a month ago. No notes taken, but this was one of the favorites across 6 or so wines. Good structure, clean hi toned fruit, nice balance. Definitely a "higher end" zin.

Any comparison vs. a Wellington zin?

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bunnyb0y wrote:Any comparison vs. a Wellington zin?

To be honest, I have never been impressed by any Wellington zins. I have only had 3 or 4, but my reaction each time has been "eh, it's ok".
I'm hoping someone out there has more detailed notes.

ggauthiersquared9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ggauthiersquared9
trifecta wrote:I had the pleasure of trying this at a friends place about a month ago. No notes taken, but this was one of the favorites across 6 or so wines. Good structure, clean hi toned fruit, nice balance. Definitely a "higher end" zin.

ggauthiersquared9

ggauthiersquared9 wrote:

My wife has been after me to make a zinfandel for 10 years. It took me that long to find the right spot. Seeing your comments. confirms I found it.
Thanks

MaureenV

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MaureenV

Would someone please check this price? Looks like it is almost twice as expensive as it was on WTSO in 3/2013.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
MaureenV wrote:Would someone please check this price? Looks like it is almost twice as expensive as it was on WTSO in 3/2013.

Yep. It was $50.97 for 3 including shipping. yes, that deal was last month, but I dont think inflation is really that bad.

If you are going to live up to your self-proclaimed "best deals on the web" advertising Woot, you'll have to do better than this.

Would love to add this to the stuff in my cart before I pull the trigger, but at the current price I'll have to pass.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Give us the previous price and I'm in... otherwise pass.

Lactobeezor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lactobeezor

I am with toady!

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511
Lactobeezor wrote:I am with toady!

with me you're at +3. that's a big bump plus shipping and tax...ouch.

ggauthiersquared9

MaureenV wrote:Would someone please check this price? Looks like it is almost twice as expensive as it was on WTSO in 3/2013.

This is a question of supply and demand.....In june the wine enthusiast will give this wine 90 points and suggested retail is $42....the woot price is still way under FOB

ggauthiersquared9

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Yep. It was $50.97 for 3 including shipping. yes, that deal was last month, but I dont think inflation is really that bad.

If you are going to live up to your self-proclaimed "best deals on the web" advertising Woot, you'll have to do better than this.

Would love to add this to the stuff in my cart before I pull the trigger, but at the current price I'll have to pass.

The pricing is the current best deal. Limited production wines are hard enough to get.If you interested in a great value this is it. the wine is worth $40 a bottle.

Is there anyone who thinks 50% off is a bad deal for a great wine?

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20

We have a revolt on our hands. I'll just go get my lawn chair and wait this one out.

CT

ggauthiersquared9

cortot20 wrote:We have a revolt on our hands. I'll just go get my lawn chair and wait this one out.

Corto 20,

There are fewer than 180 cases of this wine left.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
ggauthiersquared9 wrote:Corto 20,

There are fewer than 180 cases of this wine left.

I bought this on the WTSO deal...would like to grab some more...but even if this is a deal, hard to pull the trigger at 10 bucks more a bottle. And I like Gauthier wines, he is doing some nice stuff. I guess I could cost average...hmmmmm.....

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

So 10 hours into this no one has bought? Hmm. Perhaps we're not the only ones bothered by the jacked up price over WTSO.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:We have a revolt on our hands. I'll just go get my lawn chair and wait this one out.

With a nice SB I presume. Don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.

CT

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
ggauthiersquared9 wrote:The wine is worth $40 a bottle.

None of the numbers mentioned so far equate to 50% off.

Ignoring tax and shipping:
$79.99 is ~33% off of $120, which is what it would cost at "$40 a bottle" as you mentioned here.

In another post, you said suggested retail is $42 per bottle, which would mean the discount here is ~36% off.

Factoring in tax and shipping, this is ~$92 shipped to me in NY state, vs. the quoted non-discount price of $141 shipped listed in the offer, for a discount of ~35%.

Now set all discussions of what percent discount is being offered aside.

The fact of the matter is that most of us are here on wine.woot because we're bargain hunters. What's hurting you today is not the question of percent off suggested retail. Instead it's that we don't think this is a bargain when compared to a recent offer of the exact same wine on another site. Ignoring tax and shipping charges completely, this is still $10 more per bottle. Add in the tax and shipping costs, and we're looking at a difference of more than $13 per bottle.

Everybody has to make their own decision about whether this offer is worth it or not. Beyond what's been mentioned already, some of us are on SIWBMs, so it isn't just a question of fair price or not. It's also a question of: Is this such a great bargain that I'm going to violate my WBM to get some?

I wish you luck with the sale. I'm pretty sure with a positive review in Wine Enthusiast, you won't have too much trouble selling this later. But it's going to be a pretty hard sell here today.

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I love a good zin, and I bet this one is delicious.
However, I compare prices to my favorite, Earthquake, which I get at about $21/bottle.
If a zin costs more than that, It had better have a pretty good rep...Turley or Carlisle or a Robert Biale...
Or, it had better get rave reviews from my fellow wooters!
This one, unfortunately, has shown me none of the above.

harmonious3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3
ggauthiersquared9 wrote:The pricing is the current best deal. Limited production wines are hard enough to get.If you interested in a great value this is it. the wine is worth $40 a bottle.

50% off would be $63 plus tax and shipping not $80 plus tax and shipping. A more important percentage to this bargain hunting crowd is the fact that it's nearly 60% more than the WTSO price then add tax and shipping to that and it ends up being around 80% more than the WTSO deal. This offer was not properly vetted.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

There are three things going on:
1. Expensive offer compared to current offe on another site
2. Winery participation
3. The wine itself

1. I am sure WD will jump on tis and try to make it work. If he is not able then I suspect most will pass on this. However, this issue has nothing to do with the winery/winemaker which brings me to
2. Winery gracious enough to come on the boards to discuss their wine. Wineries should not be run off for something out of their control. Doing so will kill this model.
3. I have a bottle of this offer and will share some notes later on

"The older I get the better I was"

kaolis

randysanders wrote:I love a good zin, and I bet this one is delicious.
However, I compare prices to my favorite, Earthquake, which I get at about $21/bottle.
If a zin costs more than that, It had better have a pretty good rep...Turley or Carlisle or a Robert Biale...
Or, it had better get rave reviews from my fellow wooters!
This one, unfortunately, has shown me none of the above.

My guess this is not done in the style of Earthquake if that is what you are looking for. But I get what you mean as far as a price comparison/value to you.

harmonious3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3
losthighwayz wrote:There are three things going on:
1. Expensive offer compared to current offe on another site
2. Winery participation
3. The wine itself

1. I am sure WD will jump on tis and try to make it work. If he is not able then I suspect most will pass on this. However, this issue has nothing to do with the winery/winemaker which brings me to
2. Winery gracious enough to come on the boards to discuss their wine. Wineries should not be run off for something out of their control. Doing so will kill this model.
3. I have a bottle of this offer and will share some notes later on

How is price out of the winery's control? Seems a little bit late in the game for anyone to fix this one and a tasting review with a few hours left isn't going to help.

moondigger

losthighwayz wrote:

I don't think anybody's trying to run them off. If it hasn't already been pointed out, wooters do respond in a positive way to winery participation. In fact, I've seen people pay more for a wine here than at other site(s) where no forum exists for winery/customer interaction. That's certainly part of the equation.

But it seems obvious that the added intangible value we get from winery participation is not enough to get people to click the big yellow button at this offer's current price.

kaolis

....so.... who does everyone like in the Derby? I'm thinking Revolutionary....

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
harmonious3 wrote:How is price out of the winery's control? Seems a little bit late in the game for anyone to fix this one and a tasting review with a few hours left isn't going to help.

WW negotiated today's offer with winery irrespective of the 'tso offer. WW felt offer today is priced right and If I were the winery would negotiate to get the most $ for my product. Technically the winery controlled the price it negotiated with WW but not he offer WW came up with.

It's never too late to adjust price since its been done. However, not likely WW will be able to match the offer unless they are willing to lose $

I will post notes not to influence anyone to buy but simply to share my observations on a wine that is being offered. I ve enjoy reading other's notes in the past without pulling the trigger. A major reason I embrace this concept.

I am NOTdefending WW just pointing out my observations.

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

I agree with everything losthighwayz has said so far.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:I agree with everything losthighwayz has said so far.

+1
Also, it's good to remember that WTSO may not ask a winery before blowing out some of their wine at a super-cheap price. They're a retail outlet and can do what they please once they buy the wine from the winery. Wine.woot is not that model, and never owns the wine.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

I was also fooled by the email that showed 6 bottles, yet the deal was for 3 at this price. Misleading IMHO.

Lot of good zins out there for less than 30 a bottle.

And with the knowledge of the prior WTSO deal, seals deal on no buy. Bummer, Zin is my favorite wine, would love to try this one but not at this price point for 3 bottles.

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

This deal doesn't ship to Ohio so I will hold my oops!

I'm sure this is tasty juice and I love me some Zin but I can get Cakebread on sale for about the same price at my local wine store. Cakebread.

moondigger

losthighwayz wrote:It's never too late to adjust price since its been done. However, not likely WW will be able to match the offer unless they are willing to lose $

Agreed on both counts. I don't think they would have to match the WTSO offer to get wooters to bite; it's just that the differential at the current price is too high for most to absorb/accept.

chipgreen

So, now might be a better time than the recent woot-off (when stats weren't updating in a timely manner) to re-state my woot map theory. I say that the darker states have not necessarily wooted more, they have just wooted more recently.

Two total purchases, Qty. 1 each, with the CA purchase happening first so why is CO so much darker?

moondigger

chipgreen wrote:Two total purchases, Qty. 1 each, with the CA purchase happening first so why is CO so much darker?

Nope. Earlier, when there was only one purchase, only Colorado was lit up.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
moondigger wrote:Nope. Earlier, when there was only one purchase, only Colorado was lit up.

They may be population weighted.

CT

moondigger

rjquillin wrote:They may be population weighted.

I think you're right -- because when Colorado was the only one lit, the color was pink -- as California appears now. But now that California is lit as well, Colorado has taken on the darker/red hue -- without any apparent additional sales having taken place there.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

I think y'all are being rude and unfriendly. The offer is in, if you are interested, pull the trigger. Otherwise, suck it up and act like an adult.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
bskuared wrote:I think y'all are being rude and unfriendly. The offer is in, if you are interested, pull the trigger. Otherwise, suck it up and act like an adult.

I personally appreciate my fellow wooters' comments. One of the reasons I like this site.

chipgreen

bskuared wrote:I think y'all are being rude and unfriendly. The offer is in, if you are interested, pull the trigger. Otherwise, suck it up and act like an adult.

I think it's fair to analyze the deals that are offered. That's how most people decide if it's worth buying. Some deals are better than others.

Is it ok to heap praise on the great deals but everyone is supposed to sit silently on their hands if a deal isn't good? WD has stated more than once that they appreciate (and learn from) all the comments both positive and negative. Many companies have to lure their customers with coupons and sweepstakes to get feedback like this.