kabraxcis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kabraxcis

about to pick up this undrinkable cab, I had a case last time and being the non-differentiable drinker that I am, it tasted like every other cab to me. going to try decanting it for 2~3 hours this time

acompdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acompdude

I'm on the edge for the So Be It PN. Anyone have any comments to push me over the edge?

zcpeanut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zcpeanut
acompdude wrote:I'm on the edge for the So Be It PN. Anyone have any comments to push me over the edge?

I bought one... So should you!

krobart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krobart
lamcjunk wrote:here goes:
appearance: medium purple red
nose: rich woody nose with old French wine moldy odor. Smelly socks.
palate: fizzy is the first thing you notice. Slightly tart. No pleasant flavors. Maybe an old blackberry.

An hour later: still bubbly, flavors even worse - the smelly socks come thru on the palate.

finish: blackberry, yet nasty finish

conclusion: undrinkable. Use for cooking.

Just our two cents! Everyone has a different palate.

Ah! For cooking! I was going to drain my last order of this wine into the sink, but I'll cooking with it.

I did try to make a sangria with it and it was horrible.

I agree with your tasting notes. Undrinkable.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
lamcjunk wrote:here goes:
appearance: medium purple red
nose: rich woody nose with old French wine moldy odor. Smelly socks.
palate: fizzy is the first thing you notice. Slightly tart. No pleasant flavors. Maybe an old blackberry.

An hour later: still bubbly, flavors even worse - the smelly socks come thru on the palate.

finish: blackberry, yet nasty finish

conclusion: undrinkable. Use for cooking.

Just our two cents! Everyone has a different palate.

Did you open more than one bottle? Your descriptions of "moldy" and "smelly socks" makes me wonder if you got a bottle that was corked.

timsampson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timsampson

Anyone in the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood area want to split a case of the Zin?

acompdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acompdude
zcpeanut wrote:I bought one... So should you!

Well I did Hope its good!

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900
lamcjunk wrote:Here's the last time the Zin was offered

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5384567&pageindex=1&replycount=19

Thanks. I did review the link, did not see any great enthusiasm for this wine. Anyone have a strong positive recommendation for this Zin?

lamcjunk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk
SmilingBoognish wrote:Did you open more than one bottle? Your descriptions of "moldy" and "smelly socks" makes me wonder if you got a bottle that was corked.

hi - yup...we've tried 3 bottles. And I just tried one that had been 'decanted' for over a week (yeah, well....), and we still can't drink it. I find it fascinating that some people love the stuff!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
lamcjunk wrote:hi - yup...we've tried 3 bottles. And I just tried one that had been 'decanted' for over a week (yeah, well....), and we still can't drink it. I find it fascinating that some people love the stuff!

Maybe if you had handled the wine in the way(s) described here by those who did enjoy it, you would have too. I think you drank it too soon, without getting rid of the effervescence. Trying it again after being open for a week wasn't the solution either.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I have been tempted to hit the big yellow button for the Mirage Fizzy Cab on three different occasions in the past, but just can't bring myself to do it. The reason why is this: It's TWELVE bottles. I'm already out of temperature-controlled storage, and trying (but failing) to stick to a SIWBM. The lack of chiller space is no big thing, right? Just stick it in the basement -- it's cheap and flawed already. Fine, but then what do I do with all the bottles if I don't like it?

It might be great, but I'll never know because I can't get just one or two bottles of it to try out.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
moondigger wrote:It might be great, but I'll never know because I can't get just one or two bottles of it to try out.

Just ask if there is someone nearby you willing to split?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Last Wooter to Woot:
North316

Bring on the Fizz! First wine order since March 20th!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

moondigger

andreaserben wrote:Just ask if there is someone nearby you willing to split?

I've made that request (for various wines/offers) several times, and always came up empty. Apparently there aren't a lot of wine.wooters from my neck of the woods, or at least there aren't many that participate on these forums.

I did finally get a bite on the Zinfandel Port offer from last Monday, but it's somebody that lives a bit far away. We're going to meet roughly halfway.

Maybe the next time the Fizzy cab comes up, I'll be able to find somebody or a couple somebodies to split with. In the mean time, I have a lot of wine to drink just to get my situation under control. We're starting to get some hot days here, and I have more bottles than can fit in my temperature-controlled storage.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
moondigger wrote:I've made that request (for various wines/offers) several times, and always came up empty. Apparently there aren't a lot of wine.wooters from my neck of the woods, or at least there aren't many that participate on these forums.

Remind us where you are. Long on wine, short on memory.

CT

moondigger

rjquillin wrote:Remind us where you are. Long on wine, short on memory.

Syracuse/Utica/Rome area of upstate NY.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Opened another bottle of the Fizzy Cab last night... larger bottle variation. The cork was stained, some wine seeped through. Note this was a bottle I got when it was cold - so there should be no heat damage. Fizz is also more persistent than in other bottles I had.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
moondigger wrote:Syracuse/Utica/Rome area of upstate NY.

Only Maine could be further from me, well, HI or AK perhaps, but good for others to know.

CT

zcpeanut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zcpeanut
acompdude wrote:Well I did Hope its good!

woot! I'm still waiting on mine to ship. Ahhh the wine.woot waiting period... It's much worse than buying a gun in most states!

eastvillage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eastvillage

I'm in NYC if anyone local wants to split the case I bought.

enigmaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigmaos
eastvillage wrote:I'm in NYC if anyone local wants to split the case I bought.

Zin or fizzy cab?

enigmaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigmaos
zcpeanut wrote:woot! I'm still waiting on mine to ship. Ahhh the wine.woot waiting period... It's much worse than buying a gun in most states!

Buy more while you wait.

eastvillage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eastvillage
enigmaos wrote:Zin or fizzy cab?

Fizzy Cab.