Rock Wall Wine Company Tannat 3-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶0̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 42% off List Price
2010 Tannat, The Palindrome
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

The bottle looks nice, the description sounds yummy... if only I would not have bought too much lately

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

MdS, first sucker. Could have predicted that, as D&D was at Rock Wall and I think we tasted this, there.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

SUPER interesting, but I have to pass. No wine this month and maybe no wine next month either. Sad, I am.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

15.4% seems a bit too high
but i would like to get some tasting notes to see how you guys feel about the cappuccino and dark chocolate notes they mentioned in the description

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Had a Rock Wall Zin that was quite good, never had a Tannat.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cheesed00dle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheesed00dle

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy
cheesed00dle wrote:Just because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQDzj6R3p4

Beat me to it! Thank you. Someone had to post that.

sphervey

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sphervey

A review from Wine Enthusiast:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/rock-wall-2010-palindrome-other-red-tannat-other

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink

I'm totally unfamiliar with the grape. Anyone have any other info besides what is listed on the description page? Similarities to those more commonly found?

awstansbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awstansbury

The cappuccino and dark chocolate are spot on for this wine. I got a bottle of it in a gift basket earlier this year -- what a treat.

I've only had a couple of tannats, so my evaluation may be worthless; nonetheless, this wine is on the heavier side for this grape. From what I remember, it was rather inky, not PS inky but "light" inky, with big notes of chocolate and a hearty mouthfeel. I'm definitely in for one, maybe two.

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

With alcohol at 15.4% and a 3.9 pH there is no way it could be a good food wine. An easy pass.

kylemittskus

dalylink wrote:I'm totally unfamiliar with the grape. Anyone have any other info besides what is listed on the description page? Similarities to those more commonly found?

Lots of tannin.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

Never tired this one but have some pinot and cab they make and I won't drink the remaining bottles, not damaged but really poor wine and glad they were gifts. I like to support local companies and perhaps this is more forgiving for them.

shaunacali

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shaunacali

Hey guys! I am Shauna Rosenblum, the Winemaker for Rock Wall Wine Company. I am super excited to offer you, our Tannat, which we call "The Palindrome," because it is spelled the same forward and backwards. There were some fabulous palindrome's listed above, but my fave is "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog." Check it...it's a palindrome : )
Anyway...
Tannat originated in the Madiran in France, which is the same place that Malbec originated. Both were brought to South America, and Tannat is now considered the national grape of Uruguay. I had some killer Argentine Tannat's which is what inspired me to find Tannat grapes growing in California, and make a designate Tannat. This variety is often blended with Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine is big, and badass. It is a wine that is serious enough for the "Cab drinker" in your life, and geeky enough to please your sommelier buddy, while maintaining delicious approachability for the novice oenophile as well.
This big wine boasts aromas of violets, dusty blackberry, cappuccino and black tea, with flavors of chocolate, dried cherry, ripe blueberry and rose petal.
Cheers to you!!!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
tytiger58 wrote:Had a Rock Wall Zin that was quite good, never had a Tannat.

Rock Wall Zin up on another site today.

shaunacali

Hi kylemittskus,
That is great, I love when people have yet to hear of this grape. Tannat is such a hidden gem. I am Shauna, the winemaker for Rock Wall. I just posted a description of the grape/wine below. It's a really fun conversation piece wine. Cheers!

kylemittskus

shaunacali wrote:Hi kylemittskus,
That is great, I love when people have yet to hear of this grape. Tannat is such a hidden gem. I am Shauna, the winemaker for Rock Wall. I just posted a description of the grape/wine below. It's a really fun conversation piece wine. Cheers!

Wrong person; I've heard of it!

I do, however, have a question. I'm not familiar enough with the varietal to know growing tendencies and end results. The numbers, alc. % and pH, are high, the pH suggesting a serious dearth of acid. Is this "normal" for tannat? Was it the vintage or the vineyard source?

shaunacali

Oops, apologies. Glad you've heard of it!!
That is a great question.
Actually it appears that there is a typo on the 'stats' sheet.
The pH of this wine is 3.60, not 3.90. The TA is accurate at .59.
Tannat is known for being tannic, hence the Latin root word 'tannin.' One of my obsessions with this wine is tannin management. I am impatient and don't want to wait 6 or 10 years to drink my tannat, so I fine the Tannat. While it pulls out the harsh tannins it still leaves a good chunk of structure. The alcohol is accurate as well. Tannat is a grape that needs to be ripened to 26-28 brix in order to create lots of jammy fruit flavors in conjunction with the more rustic flavors it has. As a result, when you ferment from a higher sugar content, you get more alcohol. This is done with intention, and the final wine is delicious and balanced.
Cheers!
Shauna

kylemittskus wrote:Wrong person; I've heard of it!

I do, however, have a question. I'm not familiar enough with the varietal to know growing tendencies and end results. The numbers, alc. % and pH, are high, the pH suggesting a serious dearth of acid. Is this "normal" for tannat? Was it the vintage or the vineyard source?

scooter78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scooter78
shaunacali wrote:Hey guys! I am Shauna Rosenblum, the Winemaker for Rock Wall Wine Company. I am super excited to offer you, our Tannat, which we call "The Palindrome," because it is spelled the same forward and backwards. There were some fabulous palindrome's listed above, but my fave is "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog." Check it...it's a palindrome : )
Anyway...
Tannat originated in the Madiran in France, which is the same place that Malbec originated. Both were brought to South America, and Tannat is now considered the national grape of Uruguay. I had some killer Argentine Tannat's which is what inspired me to find Tannat grapes growing in California, and make a designate Tannat. This variety is often blended with Cabernet Sauvignon. This is wine is big, and badass. It is a wine that is serious enough for the "Cab drinker" in your life, and geeky enough to please your sommelier buddy, while maintaining delicious approachability for the novice oenophile as well.
This big wine boasts aromas of violets, dusty blackberry, cappuccino and black tea, with flavors of chocolate, dried cherry, ripe blueberry and rose petal.
Cheers to you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt84J7U75e0

kylemittskus

That pH makes much more sense. What do you fine with?

shaunacali

I fine with egg whites. About as purist and old school as it gets.
For those folks who are unfamiliar with this process, depending on the rigidity of the tannins I will add up to 6 egg whites per barrel. The protein from the egg white, binds and captures all the harsh tannins, and then they settle out in the bottom of the barrel. We carefully rack the wine off the top of the egg whites into a tank and allow it to settle to make sure there are no residual egg white proteins left. It leaves a very silky, velvety texture. But with Tannat, it would be ludicrous to eradicate all tannins. I strive for balance. Egg white fining is why you may hear of a wine being vegan, versus not vegan. Of the 38 wines I make, most are vegan, but not the tannat. Tannat today!

kylemittskus wrote:That pH makes much more sense. What do you fine with?

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
kaolis wrote:Rock Wall Zin up on another site today.

Where, please?

kaolis

slm9951 wrote:Where, please?

pm sent

shaunacali

Here is the link to the Wine Spectator's review of the Tannat, which scored 89 points.
Cheers!
Shauna

http://www.winespectator.com/wine/detail/source/search/note_id/336878

kylemittskus

shaunacali wrote:Here is the link to the Wine Spectator's review of the Tannat, which scored 89 points.
Cheers!
Shauna
http://www.winespectator.com/wine/detail/source/search/note_id/336878

Are you a subsriber? If so, can you post the review. Generally, scores aren't thought of as helpful around these parts, but the review portion can be depending on who the reviewer is.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Are you a subsriber? If so, can you post the review. Generally, scores aren't thought of as helpful around these parts, but the review portion can be depending on who the reviewer is.

Not much to see.

ROCK WALL Tannat California The Palindrome 2010
Score: 89
Release Price: $30
Region: Other California
Issue: Web Only - 2013

A tasty red, featuring zesty black cherry, herb and cinnamon aromas, with distinctive plum, smoke and licorice flavors. Drink now through 2017. 892 cases made. –TF

CT

shaunacali

Did you know that Tannat is the healthiest wine in the world??!!

Many of us know about the benefits of resveratrol in red wines, but Tannat has the highest level of oligomeric procyanidins, (OPC's) which are these little scrubber guys that clean out your arteries. Yeeee Hawww! Cheers to that.
Google "The French Paradox' to read more about the health benefits of Tannat.

kaolis

shaunacali wrote:Did you know that Tannat is the healthiest wine in the world??!!

Many of us know about the benefits of resveratrol in red wines, but Tannat has the highest level of oligomeric procyanidins, (OPC's) which are these little scrubber guys that clean out your arteries. Yeeee Hawww! Cheers to that.

Ha! Makes me think of the Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner commercial.

shaunacali

That's perfect!! : )

kaolis wrote:Ha! Makes me think of the Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner commercial.

thelecroy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thelecroy
tenoreprimo wrote:With alcohol at 15.4% and a 3.9 pH there is no way it could be a good food wine. An easy pass.

So would you agree with tenorprimo on the food pairing, and if not what would you recommend?

kylemittskus

thelecroy wrote:So would you agree with tenorprimo on the food pairing, and if not what would you recommend?

I'm obviously not the winery but, the pH number was wrong (see above) making it a bit more food friendly than one would think with the typo. The high alc. % could go either way depending on how the wine carries it. If you're drinking it with food, I'd say meat.

shaunacali

Well stated. Yes, the wine is fermented at a higher brix level which leaves us with a higher alcohol, and more intense, concentrated flavor. It's delicious. If you've never had a Tannat before, you should give it a go.
Yum!!

kylemittskus wrote:I'm obviously not the winery but, the pH number was wrong (see above) making it a bit more food friendly than one would think with the typo. The high alc. % could go either way depending on how the wine carries it. If you're drinking it with food, I'd say meat.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
shaunacali wrote:Did you know that Tannat is the healthiest wine in the world??!!

Does the fining have any impact on the OPC's?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

kaolis

UBlink wrote:Does the fining have any impact on the OPC's?