• 21.8% - Sideways 211
  • 9.3% - Bottle Shock 90
  • 2.5% - Corked 24
  • 0.9% - From Ground to Glass 9
  • 3.4% - A Good Year 33
  • 59.6% - None of ‘em! 577
  • 2.5% - Some other movie that I’ll talk about in the comments 24
968 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I've only seen Sideways, so I guess it's my default favorite?

trucker743

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trucker743

Forgot about "Days of Wine and Roses"?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

OK so it's not a "wine movie", but you gotta love Hannibal Lechter's line about enjoying a man's liver with some fava beans and "a nice chianti".

bassonmommy12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassonmommy12

How about "The Lost Weekend?" Haha

jcraige1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcraige1
curtisuxor wrote:Blood Into Wine

This was what I was going to post! It's a documentary about making wine in Arizona with Maynard James Keenan from Tool.

chocoboomelette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chocoboomelette
jcraige1 wrote:This was what I was going to post! It's a documentary about making wine in Arizona with Maynard James Keenan from Tool.

Also the movie I was going to post. I am too slow!

tucker62305

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tucker62305

Blood into Wine

gmorten1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gmorten1

why not more love for A Good Year? a vineyard, marion cotillard, abbie cornish... what's not to like?

ceagee

quality posts: 65 Private Messages ceagee

French Kiss.
Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline. He's using her to smuggle vines into France.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
ceagee wrote:French Kiss.

Cute movie, but aside from a couple brief references, not really a "wine movie," IMO. Wine is an integral component of the story for the movies listed above. In French Kiss, it's more of a minor plot device. It's like a listing of "drug" movies including Scarface, Traffic, American Gangster and New Jack City, then adding Three Men and a Baby because of the minor subplot of drugs being hidden in the baby's car seat.

nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake

Another vote for Blood into Wine. After watching it with some friends, he ordered a bunch of bottles so we could try it for ourselves!! It's on Netflix, BTW.

sillstaw

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sillstaw

Only seen "Sideways," so "Sideways." (Helps that I like Alexander Payne movies.)

Also, not a movie (much as I hope for six seasons and a movie), but "Cougar Town."

theother1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1

I thought Sideways was about as good as Ishtar.

Sheena3745

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sheena3745
ceagee wrote:French Kiss.

I second this one. Never mind those that said it wasn't "enough" about wine. It was so. All about the things that make wine good, from the grapes, to the right mix of ingredients, to the family history, to the land. The passion, the sacrifices, the love. The innumerable meanings behind flavor & scent. Lovely.

moondigger

Sheena3745 wrote:Never mind those that said it wasn't "enough" about wine. It was so.

I didn't say it wasn't "enough" about wine. I said it isn't a wine movie, any more than Three Men & A Baby was a drug movie. Just because there's a minor subplot in a movie involving some particular topic doesn't mean that's what the movie is about. Another example: Parenthood, with Steve Martin. There are references to baseball throughout the movie, but that doesn't qualify it as a "baseball movie" like Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, etc.

My wife and I like French Kiss and have seen it at least five times, probably more.

EDIT: Deleted stuff that seemed needlessly argumentative. I like the movie. I just don't consider it a "wine movie."

Sheena3745

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sheena3745
moondigger wrote:... I said it isn't a wine movie ...

Got it, I'm not arguing either, just disagreeing. The movie wasn't exclusively about wine, I'd dare say as a romcom not even mainly about wine. But I do think wine was a major & pivotal part of its plot (a lot more than theft for example), so I happily list it as my favorite *wine* movie.

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I really enjoyed Bottle Shock.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
gmorten1 wrote:why not more love for A Good Year? a vineyard, marion cotillard, abbie cornish... what's not to like?

Oh My! Flying Guards!- definately a great wine movie. When that old man explains to the new owner of the vineyard ( Russell Crowe) about the care, the soil and the smell of the grapes!!! It doesn't get any better. Loved French Kiss too. The way Kevin Kline loves and cares for that little grape vine!! Too sweet!!

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

I don't know that I would say it was my favorite (indeed, I probably wouldn't), but I am surprised that "A Walk in the Clouds" is not an option here.

moondigger

jawlz wrote:I don't know that I would say it was my favorite (indeed, I probably wouldn't), but I am surprised that "A Walk in the Clouds" is not an option here.

I haven't seen A Walk in the Clouds, but my wife has, and she said the same thing.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

My favorite wine movie ia actually a "made-for-TV movie" - the superb Columbo episode "Any Old Port in a Storm". Excellent interweaving of a Columbo murder investigation set against a totally plausible narrative of a filial dispute and culminating with the Columbo using the murderer's sophisticated knowledge of wine to incriminate himself.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

For those that haven't seen corked, check it out. It's on Netflix streaming. I think woot folks can appreciate how it mocks some of the ridiculous things in the wine industry. Such as rich folks who think they know wine, fancy winery and their stuffiness, etc. Also directed by Paul Hawley.