WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever broken something while popping open champagne?
  • 5.5% - Yes, a lamp / light. 42
  • 0.9% - Yes, a window. 7
  • 1.2% - Yes, dishes. 9
  • 0.4% - Yes, a vase. 3
  • 4.5% - Yes, other (comments!) 34
  • 87.5% - Nope. 666
761 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Yeah the bottle, Buffalo wooters remember our first sushi and champaign tasting?

ardubu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

A couple of wine glasses.
I was young and reckless...
Now I'm just reckless.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

jamiepgomez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamiepgomez

Wind.

I was stressed and straining. I was under a lot of pressure.

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

Ceiling tile, followed by the glasses that were underneath the aforementioned ceiling tile.

rachelegaffney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelegaffney

Blinds, woops.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

I've always used a dishtowel or napkin for extra grip and to make sure the cork doesn't fly anywhere if I mess up. And it's always been a point of immense, silly pride for me to open the bottle with only the slightest of whispered fizzes. Anything louder than a soft "fshhh" and I feel great shame at my failure as a supposedly cultured human being (my father was uber-French). So, no, I haven't broken anything with a champagne cork.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I always place a dish towel loosely over the top of the bottle, and grip it against the sides of the bottle with one hand as I remove the cork with the other hand. Even if the cork were to get away from me, the towel would stop it from careening around the room.

The one time I didn't do that, many years ago, the cork dented a softish ceiling tile.

There are statistics published somewhere about the number of people suffering eye injuries due to flying corks every year. I'm reminded of the infamous line from A CHRISTMAS STORY, paraphrased: 'What do you want a bottle of champagne for, kid? You'll put your eye out!'

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

Yeah the bottle.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
goldenthorn wrote:I've always used a dishtowel or napkin for extra grip and to make sure the cork doesn't fly anywhere if I mess up. And it's always been a point of immense, silly pride for me to open the bottle with only the slightest of whispered fizzes. Anything louder than a soft "fshhh" and I feel great shame at my failure as a supposedly cultured human being (my father was uber-French). So, no, I haven't broken anything with a champagne cork.

uber-French makes me laugh. Irony and all.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

my friend's skin when he challenged me to hit him from across the room and I nailed him in the foehead... I'm a bartender I know how to aim that stuff! It was just a little cut, but funny as hell.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

Buysharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buysharp

It wasn't me personally, but at a party I was at. It was a kitchen light fixture. They have fluorescent lights and the cork went up and cracked the plastic shade.

jackw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackw

My eyeglasses... on New Years Eve.

I live the way I type, FAST, with a lot of mistakes.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

A lower lip. Not mine.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

Just the bottle in a (successful) attempt to saber a bottle with a chef's knife. Generally, though, I too prefer to keep it muted and quiet.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

I didn't break anything but I did put someones eye out.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger