Project Paso Sauvignon Blanc 6-Pack
$54.99 $̶1̶0̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 50% off List Price
2010 Project Paso Sauvignon Blanc
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

donnysebas

quality posts: 14 Private Messages donnysebas

Good evening wooters. Happy to answer questions tonight about our screaming deal woot has whipped up. I cant give any insights into the bottle-on-the-wine-glass photo though... That is wicked cool!!!

donnysebas

The timing is great for this deal - this is a perfect summer sipper for blazing hot days like today. Eating dinner on the back patio and this ice cold, crisp, and lean sauv blanc. Paso is a slightly warmer climate, so these grapes have a bit more ripeness than some sauv blancs that end up just like acid-water. This has crisp apple and meyer lemon notes and aromas of fresh grass and produce. Not quite so much produce like the under-ripe New Zeal sauv blancs though. Creamier. Touch of vanilla. A nice glass of wine... Tampa Bay Times named it the "Wine of the Week" at the end of last summer.

donnysebas

And... Zork.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
donnysebas wrote:And... Zork.

You guys still play that that old computer game
I did back in the day.

Ok , I realize that you are referring to some new wine bottle closure. Did you know the roots of that term ?
Let's see..... it's a computer game whose name was/is hacker slang for an unfinished program.
So, you pop it back in the unfinished wine ? Or am I reaching ? There is probably no connection whatsoever.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001
donnysebas wrote:Good evening wooters. Happy to answer questions tonight about our screaming deal woot has whipped up. I cant give any insights into the bottle-on-the-wine-glass photo though... That is wicked cool!!!

The Woot photographer seems to have too much fun with his/her job... and I think the 2/3 empty bottle explains why.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
donnysebas wrote:And... Zork.

I thought that was Zelda..

The wine guy at a World Market talked me into the red of this when it was on sale a couple years back. A present bottle with plenty of fruit that many enjoyed.

And I now use the closures for those other bottles I always seem to have open.
Win-win

CT

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy

So, what is the connection between 3 Wine Guys and this label? Only 1 Wine Guy???

maryann065

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryann065

I live in NJ and just tried to buy but it said could not be shipped to NJ while the page that states the states that can be shipped to included NJ. What's up with that?

intodogs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intodogs

Could someone chime in to let us know if this wine was aged in steel or wood??? Thanking you in advance.....

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

maryann065 wrote:I live in NJ and just tried to buy but it said could not be shipped to NJ while the page that states the states that can be shipped to included NJ. What's up with that?

checking on this.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

donnysebas wrote:The timing is great for this deal - this is a perfect summer sipper for blazing hot days like today. Eating dinner on the back patio and this ice cold, crisp, and lean sauv blanc. Paso is a slightly warmer climate, so these grapes have a bit more ripeness than some sauv blancs that end up just like acid-water. This has crisp apple and meyer lemon notes and aromas of fresh grass and produce. Not quite so much produce like the under-ripe New Zeal sauv blancs though. Creamier. Touch of vanilla. A nice glass of wine... Tampa Bay Times named it the "Wine of the Week" at the end of last summer.

This is a great offer. Thanks for jumping on the boards!

love the zork. better than a screw top.

Duke331313

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Duke331313

Has anyone tried this wine? Would like to know what people thought before jumping on this.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

maryann065 wrote:I live in NJ and just tried to buy but it said could not be shipped to NJ while the page that states the states that can be shipped to included NJ. What's up with that?

no go on NJ for this offer. Sorry.

donnysebas

confusedemmy wrote:So, what is the connection between 3 Wine Guys and this label? Only 1 Wine Guy???

Same wine guys. We craft a few different wines and we try to make each distinct by its appellation. 3WM is an everyday California wine. Project Paso wines feature the wines grown in the Central Coast appellation of Paso Robles. You may also be familiar with our wines from Clarksburg (near Lodi/Sacramento) that we call The Crusher.

donnysebas

intodogs wrote:Could someone chime in to let us know if this wine was aged in steel or wood??? Thanking you in advance.....

All steel baby. BUT... it is a tiny bit different than your everyday sauv blanc in that it does offer a hint (just a hint) more creaminess and ripeness than the usual. This comes from the riper/warmer growing climate in Paso Robles.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
donnysebas wrote:All steel baby. BUT... it is a tiny bit different than your everyday sauv blanc in that it does offer a hint (just a hint) more creaminess and ripeness than the usual. This comes from the riper/warmer growing climate in Paso Robles.

Where in Paso did you source from? I'm not aware of that much SB in the area.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy
donnysebas wrote:Same wine guys. We craft a few different wines and we try to make each distinct by its appellation. 3WM is an everyday California wine. Project Paso wines feature the wines grown in the Central Coast appellation of Paso Robles. You may also be familiar with our wines from Clarksburg (near Lodi/Sacramento) that we call The Crusher.

Thanks for the reply... and I love The Crusher. In for 2 - it's already getting warm down here off the coast of Texas!

intodogs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intodogs
donnysebas wrote:All steel baby. BUT... it is a tiny bit different than your everyday sauv blanc in that it does offer a hint (just a hint) more creaminess and ripeness than the usual. This comes from the riper/warmer growing climate in Paso Robles.

Thanks for prompt reply...steel was the right answer. Just placed my order. Warm weather, sitting on deck, yard mowed and SB in hand. Life is grand!!!!

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

WD, lets try and get the project paso red blend at this same price point. I'll take some of that off your hands.

CT

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
cortot20 wrote:WD, lets try and get the project paso red blend at this same price point. I'll take some of that off your hands.

+1.

donnysebas

kylemittskus wrote:Where in Paso did you source from? I'm not aware of that much SB in the area.

Great question!!! Yes indeed sauv blanc is NOT widely grown in Paso Robles. As such, there is no "one great place", so this particular wine is sourced from several small lots throughout the East and West side of (Hwy 101) Paso. We crush each lot of sauv blanc separately and then create a larger master blend.

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

No Kansas. Makes me kinda sad.

moondigger

moondigger wrote:+1.

Following up... it turns out one of my local wine retailers carries the Project Paso wines. I will pick up a bottle of the Sauvignon Blanc being sold here today, as well as a bottle of the Red Blend this evening.

I don't know if I'll be able to provide tasting notes for the Sauvignon Blanc before this woot offer ends, as it won't be chilled to serving temperature in the store. (Plus, I have a different bottle of wine open from yesterday already, that I planned to finish tonight.) But if SWMBO wants to try it, we might open it anyway, maybe pouring it over an ice cube to bring the temp down. (This is something she has been known to do with other whites when they haven't been properly chilled.)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
cortot20 wrote:WD, lets try and get the project paso red blend at this same price point. I'll take some of that off your hands.

+1

+ another 1

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Noted.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie
Winedavid39 wrote:This is a great offer. Thanks for jumping on the boards!

love the zork. better than a screw top.

WineDavid said it was a great offer. That alone is enough for Gtcharlie to go in.

Quality post?

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
tonycyndy wrote:No Kansas. Makes me kinda sad.

Kansas Happy, Kansas Sad:
http://www.amazon.com/Kansas-Happy-Sad/dp/B0019B7K7A

ggriffan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ggriffan

Hi everyone! I'm currently finishing my senior year of college, and am doing my senior project on purchasing wine online. Please help me out by clicking the link below and filling out the survey. Thanks for your support!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPVMNGJ

kylemittskus

ggriffan wrote:Hi everyone! I'm currently finishing my senior year of college, and am doing my senior project on purchasing wine online. Please help me out by clicking the link below and filling out the survey. Thanks for your support!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPVMNGJ

One question?

Korista

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Korista
kylemittskus wrote:One question?

Probably just one question based on your answer to the first question.

One question to exclude them all.

;)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Only if you are "old" (born before 1977).

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

DQ'd as well.
Millennials Online Wine Behavior

CT

hearkencreative

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hearkencreative
rjquillin wrote:DQ'd as well.
Millennials Online Wine Behavior

Millennials drink wine? Darn, that leaves less for me!

In for one.

kylemittskus

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Only if you are "old" (born before 1977).

I'm not. I said "no" and still was kicked out.

moondigger

Popped open the bottle I purchased today, after chilling it in the fridge for a couple hours. Briefly, so that the notes might help some people who haven't decided yet:

The dominant scent is fresh-cut grass, with grapefruit and a hint of lemon. I'm not getting any honey or lime scents (mentioned in the winemaker's description), but those might emerge as the wine warms up a bit.

On the palate I'm getting mostly lemon and grapefruit, however at least at the temperature we're sipping it, this is somewhat austere. This is something I expect will change as the wine warms a bit more. SWMBO got some cheddar out of the fridge and the wine seems better paired with the cheese than it did alone.

I don't like sweet white wines but this one seems like it might benefit from just a bit of residual sugar. Again, this might improve a bit in that respect as it warms.

Sauvignon Blanc is my favorite white varietal. Unfortunately I'm not liking this one as much as most others I've had. To be fair, the wines I'm comparing it to almost all cost a few dollars more per bottle than this offer. I'm not saying this wine is bad. It's just not everything I look for in a Sauvignon Blanc.

SWMBO likes it but doesn't love it, and thinks for around $14 (what I paid at my local store, with tax) it's alright.

I think Woot's offer ($10-$11/bottle shipped, with tax) is about as much as I would be willing to pay, but I'm not interested in so many bottles of it when there are other Sauv Blancs I like more.

Apologies if it seems like I'm damning this wine with faint praise -- keep in mind that it's a rushed tasting.

HTH.

EDIT: As the wine warmed, I did get a mild flavor of green apple, but lemon and grapefruit still dominate. The nose didn't change appreciably, though I am now getting just a hint of honey. Not sure if that's really there or if it's just the power of suggestion.

EDIT 2: Even later, and warmed up more: the hint of honey really is there on the nose. The lemon on the palate has evolved into lemongrass now, and the grapefruit faded a bit. Unfortunately, even after warming, I still find it too austere, almost astringent.

kylemittskus

Thanks for taking one for the team, moondigger.

moondigger

Following up on my previous tasting notes.

After the rushed tasting from a couple nights ago, I re-zorked the bottle and stuck it in the fridge.

Tonight I poured a glass to accompany dinner, which was salmon baked with lemon and dill, sun-dried tomato risotto and broccoli.

As to the wine: The aromas and flavors remain as previously described, with the fruit slightly less present, making the wine seem even more austere.

Unfortunately it did not pair well with the meal, contrasting harshly with the mild sweetness of the salmon (as opposed to complementing it, as some other dry white wines do). I believe it may have made a better pairing with this meal when it was first opened, and perhaps if it had warmed up a bit more from fridge temp. I'm not so sure of the latter, as the dominant characteristics did not change much as the wine warmed a couple nights ago.