tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Yep people can be annoying, especially when its someone who you are close to. Although I got defriended on facebook by someone who I have always supported and I think it was over a comment I made which basically told her that even though Duke buses have problems we have it worse at Cornell in terms of everything else we get charged. People I do not understand them at all. Or maybe I'm just weird. Lots of hugs

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:318

You guys rule, but at this point we're about 3k votes shy of 15th place, so I think we can throw in the towel.

Really appreciate you all trying to help though!

bhodilee

CAGrl wrote:Ugh. People. One of my oldest friends is saying she doesn't understand why bad things keep happening to her. As a background, the woman who raised her passed away in 2001. My mother in 2008. Recently, I couldn't understand why she wouldn't hang out with me but with some of her other friends. She's been giving me a lot of excuses and one of them being she just couldn't understand why bad things kept happening to us. And I apparently thought bad things (similar things) brought people together. She apparently wants rainbow and butterflies and sunshine only in her life and wants to keep her distance and such. I'm just said and wish things were different. I just want to tell her sorry that my life isn't perfect as your other friends' lives and that I have things that I can relate with. But apparently she wants perfection and happiness. UGH!!!

Sorry to dump but I couldn't do it on facebook since we share friends. I just don't get people sometimes!!! We've been friends for over 20 years for crying out loud!

So....because two people passed away bad things always happen to the two of you? Your friend is insecure at best, a woe is me my pain is complete and pity me type at worst. I mean, if everytime you guys hung out, you were followed and Yellow Brick Road upon by a flock of seagulls, I could understand.

Basically, if she's around you then she can't be at the center of the pity party. I know after 20 years it's hard to cut bait, but you might wanna cut bait.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Doc O, if you're out there - PM for you.

And CAGrl - sounds like this person is going to be friendless eventually, if any setback is enough reason to avoid someone. A very odd way to go through life, if you ask me.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:You guys rule, but at this point we're about 3k votes shy of 15th place, so I think we can throw in the towel.

Really appreciate you all trying to help though!

Never give up, never surrender! To infinity & beyond! Oh wait, sorry, wrong story line.

Inconceivable!

Edit: Doh! Don't you hate when you use tag lines from two different movies? Even when it is the same actor saying them!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

Reason 4895702345 you should not let your kids get ahold of your phone:

Google voice search is set to South Africa Afrikaans.

I have no idea how to change it back.

coynedj

bhodilee wrote:Reason 4895702345 you should not let your kids get ahold of your phone:

You might have to move.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:You might have to move.

Waar stel jy voor ek verhuis?

Edit: I promise I didn't just mash random keys on the keyboard. That's from Google Translate. I might be able to get by with this Afrikaans after all if that's what it looks like though.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:Waar stel jy voor ek verhuis?

Edit: I promise I didn't just mash random keys on the keyboard. That's from Google Translate. I might be able to get by with this Afrikaans after all if that's what it looks like though.

Made as much sense as you normally do. That is, after a plethora of Saké!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:Reason 4895702345 you should not let your kids get ahold of your phone:

On the iPhone app, there is a settings icon in upper right. Click on voice search in settings menu and there is a language selection. Africaans is the first option. The next several use a different alphabet, looks like Arabic. (Though I am thinking alphabetically in English.)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
bhodilee wrote:So....because two people passed away bad things always happen to the two of you?...

To me this really sums it up. Assuming there are no other interactions that would have made her start wanting to avoid you -- I don't think it has that much to do with you personally, except to the extent that contact with you reminds her that you two have in common the loss of a parental figure, and she's basically stuck there and can't get beyond it. No matter any other, more positive history you two may share, thinking of you - on some level - reminds her of the pain of her loss, and she just doesn't want to go there, so she avoids contact with you.

If my conjecture is on the money, it would mean that she's reacting to the pain from losses that took place in 2008, and for crying out loud, 2001??? (This is why there are therapists, Boys and Girls!)

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I am getting cranky. I'm trying to work out some of the interior details for the new house. I get a quote for hardwood in the kitchen, dining, living room, and hallway. Decide to get the hardwood in dining/living only and stick with the standard flooring in the other rooms. And the quote goes up! How exactly does that work? Upgrade smaller space, pay more?

And these other quotes I'm getting are insane. $1800 for carpet in the office, no thank you. I wanted to ask if it was made from a unicorn's tummy hair. $900 for a lil decorative mosaic trim to go around the bathtub, no thank you. I've seen those things at Lowe's and they cost $5 per foot (I need about 20 feet at the most). Your labor is not that damn precious, Tile Man.

I feel a tantrum coming on.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Going to lock in people for our '99 bordeaux tasting on 5/11. I just want to give those of you who have expressed interest (RJ, Klez, Tytiger) or those of you who lurk and drool but don't drink wine (Sparky ;-P ) a chance to sign up or express further interest, or bow fully out.

Thanks!,

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Bowtie.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

crap, I think I'm getting cyber crud again....it struck right after the dismissal bell rang. sore throat, achy... I only have to work for the second half of tomorrow...It has been raining all day....and will be raining all week....

mommadeb1

CAGrl wrote:Ugh. People. One of my oldest friends is saying she doesn't understand why bad things keep happening to her. As a background, the woman who raised her passed away in 2001. My mother in 2008. Recently, I couldn't understand why she wouldn't hang out with me but with some of her other friends. She's been giving me a lot of excuses and one of them being she just couldn't understand why bad things kept happening to us. And I apparently thought bad things (similar things) brought people together. She apparently wants rainbow and butterflies and sunshine only in her life and wants to keep her distance and such. I'm just said and wish things were different. I just want to tell her sorry that my life isn't perfect as your other friends' lives and that I have things that I can relate with. But apparently she wants perfection and happiness. UGH!!!

Sorry to dump but I couldn't do it on facebook since we share friends. I just don't get people sometimes!!! We've been friends for over 20 years for crying out loud!

she sounds like someone who always wants the attention on them.. I know several people who thrive on the drama of "oh, why does this happen to me"? people..... they always end up dropping their friends if their friends don't feed into all the drama bs . I call them toxic friends as they suck all the energy out of you..

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:Going to lock in people for our '99 bordeaux tasting on 5/11. I just want to give those of you who have expressed interest (RJ, Klez, Tytiger) or those of you who lurk and drool but don't drink wine (Sparky ;-P ) a chance to sign up or express further interest, or bow fully out.

Thanks!,

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Bowtie.

Any of the aforementioned suspects interested in a carpool, or are we going to sip vicariously?

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:crap, I think I'm getting cyber crud again....it struck right after the dismissal bell rang. sore throat, achy... I only have to work for the second half of tomorrow...It has been raining all day....and will be raining all week....

Hopefully no fever nor cough. Feel better soon. BTW, how is your doggie?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Thanks everyone for listening to me and letting me feel better. I think it's probably a combination of all the above mentioned posts.

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:Any of the aforementioned suspects interested in a carpool, or are we going to sip vicariously?

We'd love to have all 3 of you and there is still time to grab the bottles. Heck if we have 9 people we will taste all 6 areas of cru Bordeaux

My Cellar

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:Thanks everyone for listening to me and letting me feel better. I think it's probably a combination of all the above mentioned posts.

On a completely different note.... Did you get another locker? A birdie told me you may have.

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:On a completely different note.... Did you get another locker? A birdie told me you may have.

Hahaha. Yeah. Just a shelf for now. I've really gotta stop buying and drink down the stash. Really only want 1 shelf but have too much currently being stored at home. And no room at home for a fridge. Don't worry. I plan on only using the one we have but for now, I gotta get my stuff together and figure it out and can't do it while everything is so overflowing.

Edit: Of course doesn't help when Inspiration comes up today. Had to buy that one. Ugh.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
CAGrl wrote:Hahaha. Yeah. Just a shelf for now. I've really gotta stop buying and drink down the stash. Really only want 1 shelf but have too much currently being stored at home. And no room at home for a fridge. Don't worry. I plan on only using the one we have but for now, I gotta get my stuff together and figure it out and can't do it while everything is so overflowing.

Edit: Of course doesn't help when Inspiration comes up today. Had to buy that one. Ugh.

Yup, just a shelf. That's how it starts. Then it's two shelves. Then a whole locker. Then a locker plus a wine fridge. Then add in a 300 bottle cabinet. All while "drinking down" the stash. Yup...been doing that for 4 years now.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:We'd love to have all 3 of you and there is still time to grab the bottles. Heck if we have 9 people we will taste all 6 areas of cru Bordeaux

And THAT would be quite the event.

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Yup, just a shelf. That's how it starts. Then it's two shelves. Then a whole locker. Then a locker plus a wine fridge. Then add in a 300 bottle cabinet. All while "drinking down" the stash. Yup...been doing that for 4 years now.

Isn't this the truth. I still remember my first ww purchase. I take no responsibility for what you have done to me.

On another note, tent off, now putting stores away. All the wine in the lockers wouldn't be enough to erase the pita this has been.

CT

cmaldoon

klezman wrote:Yup, just a shelf. That's how it starts. Then it's two shelves. Then a whole locker. Then a locker plus a wine fridge. Then add in a 300 bottle cabinet. All while "drinking down" the stash. Yup...been doing that for 4 years now.

Damn-it Klez, this is all YOUR fault. First I hadn't shelf, then I had your TWO shelves, now I am pondering splitting a 4 shelf locker with CAGirl...
I have been doing fairly well at sticking close to the 300 bottle limit of my locker and wine fridges but there is sooo much good stuff out there!!!

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:Damn-it Klez, this is all YOUR fault. First I hadn't shelf, then I had your TWO shelves, now I am pondering splitting a 4 shelf locker with CAGirl...
I have been doing fairly well at sticking close to the 300 bottle limit of my locker and wine fridges but there is sooo much good stuff out there!!!

Hahaha. We've all got some serious issues. I really really don't want another shelf. I really really need to drink down my stash but I keep buying. What's the matter with me?!? I do like the location of our shelves though. It's so convenient.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

In my case, the universe is trying to help prevent me from buying wine.

Last summer, I'd found a liquor store in Rhode Island that had Corison for good prices - including some 1999 Napa ($60)and 2001 Kronos ($95).

I'd ordered a case, I even got a call about buying more at those prices, because they were about to raise them.

But they couldn't ship immediately because of the heat.

Then there was a hurricane.

Then there was a Corison offer on woot and someone mentioned them, and wooters descended on them like locusts. Even Cathy Corison bought back several cases of her own wine.

Fast forward to today. They lost track of my order and can find no trace of the wine I'd been told was set aside for me.

I suppose this is all for the best.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

While I like doing my duty to woot and WD, but why do I always have to review controversial stuff?

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Hopefully no fever nor cough. Feel better soon. BTW, how is your doggie?

thanks, no fever or cough, just that weird feeling of congestion stuck in the back of your palate... I can breathe without a problem but am achy.....

Dog is improving...I think.. we still have a long way to go with her... but, she is making progress.... keeping my fingers crossed she keeps improving...one of The joys of a rescue animal is you never know what things happened to them or what they were exposed to.. oh well.

InFrom

tiger7610 wrote:While I like doing my duty to woot and WD, but why do I always have to review controversial stuff?

Wait, that was another "mysteriously fell off the Woot truck onto my front step"? It really wasn't clear from your post -- it made it sound like you got it intentionally to try out a new method of baking. Maybe a slight edit to make disclosure a little more effective? (Anybody reading PB's or mommadeb's reviews can surmise that they got the set for free -- not so clear the way your review reads now.)

What do you think?

ETA: re-reading mommadeb's, maybe the disclosure is a bit on the subtle side, but at least since I'm familiar with the labrat concept, I could figure out how she came to possess it. But really (and I mean to initiate a discussion among the Pub crowd in general, not you specifically), why would one not just say, "I received a sample of this [non-wine item] to try out", so people can factor this in when reading favorable reviews? Again, not talking about wine reviews, just the other stuff. Like when I see an Amazon Vine review, I realize that the person writing the review did not pay for the item, and I can take that into account in deciding how much to depend on that review.

coynedj

CAGrl wrote: I really really need to drink down my stash but I keep buying. What's the matter with me?!?

While this was posted by one person, I think it might be muttered under our breaths by a lot more. I know that I'm one, and I even live in a no-ship state (thank you, my wootleggers!). I did manage to get my stash below 300 bottles, but it's back above and not even close any more - no buying for me until 2017!

Yeah, right.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I have limited storage and no room to expand in my small hot house. And I am to frugal to pay for off site storage. So my built in storage 70 bottle storage limit causes me to drink stuff faster or just not buy. Works well for me.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
InFrom wrote: But really (and I mean to initiate a discussion among the Pub crowd in general, not you specifically), why would one not just say, "I received a sample of this [non-wine item] to try out", so people can factor this in when reading favorable reviews? Again, not talking about wine reviews, just the other stuff. Like when I see an Amazon Vine review, I realize that the person writing the review did not pay for the item, and I can take that into account in deciding how much to depend on that review.

For non-wine items, I dont't think there's an issue (legally, company-wise, etc.). I think that people are just in the habit of ambiguity, though, so it occurs when it may not neeed to.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
zTimothyBz wrote:In my case, the universe is trying to help prevent me from buying wine.

Last summer, I'd found a liquor store in Rhode Island that had Corison for good prices - including some 1999 Napa ($60)and 2001 Kronos ($95).

I'd ordered a case, I even got a call about buying more at those prices, because they were about to raise them.

But they couldn't ship immediately because of the heat.

Then there was a hurricane.

Then there was a Corison offer on woot and someone mentioned them, and wooters descended on them like locusts. Even Cathy Corison bought back several cases of her own wine.

Fast forward to today. They lost track of my order and can find no trace of the wine I'd been told was set aside for me.

I suppose this is all for the best.

If this should happen again in RI, or environs, let me know. I can help out. And if they had more Corison than what you were taking, I would be very quick to get my hands in.

Sorry for your loss.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

InFrom

kylemittskus wrote:For non-wine items, I dont't think there's an issue (legally, company-wise, etc.). I think that people are just in the habit of ambiguity, though, so it occurs when it may not neeed to.

Agreed -- I thought it was worth distinguishing the non-wine, where there's no potential legal issue about the source. I think in a situation like this, where people are quick to accuse others of being company shills (and granted, the three "freebie" reviewers today that I'm aware of are all well-reputed wine-wooters) it's probably better to err on the side of more disclosure. We regulars may be able to figure it out, but putting myself in the place of casual visitor, I think it detracts from the integrity of the site & the value of its user comments when such info is not mentioned.

rjquillin

tiger7610 wrote:While I like doing my duty to woot and WD, but why do I always have to review controversial stuff?

got the "golden ticket" for this as well, yes, they really do exist, but the timing was the absolute worst. It arrived at FedEx after I could pick it up yesterday as house de-tenting was in progress. Picked it up today at 07:30 on the way to work. Gonna be a dry-lab review for the pot and contents; kinda sucks, really like to do better no matter the product.

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:got the "golden ticket" for this as well, yes, they really do exist, but the timing was the absolute worst. It arrived at FedEx after I could pick it up yesterday as house de-tenting was in progress. Picked it up today at 07:30 on the way to work. Gonna be a dry-lab review for the pot and contents; kinda sucks, really like to do better no matter the product.

House being tented trumps all....

mommadeb1

Watching the news... Hope everyone is safe from fires and winter snow storms!!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Are you drunk?

I never get letters as entertaining as this one. And no, I'm not drunk.

"Does a patent application have to come with some sort of pop-up book?" That would be lovely, actually.