Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Amador County Barbera 5-Pack
$76.99 $̶1̶3̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2010 Barbera, Mountain Selection, Amador County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Have so enjoyed many of Scott's various wines previously!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven

No Idaho shipping? That's new for SH offerings right?

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Never had Scott's Barbera, this is $18 a bottle shipped to Socal and pretty tempting. Maybe you all can push me over the edge.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

I just had this a little over a week ago. Picked it up on Scott's birthday sale. Posted in CT:

"No detailed notes. Bottle disappeared after a hard day of work. Great fruit and balance. Still prefer the reserve, but the mountain selection is ridiculous QPR. Amador Barbera is the real deal."

Had I known it was coming up I might have taken better notes. I highly recommend this if you haven't tried Barbera from Scott, or even Amador for that matter.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

silent7seven wrote:No Idaho shipping? That's new for SH offerings right?

I double checked and that matches the info we received from the winery. Sorry.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

I've only had the '08 so far (although I am sitting on 3 each of the '09 and '10). Looking through the vintages, notes seem fairly similar so here are mine for the '08, FWIW;
Big nose, big cherry palate with creamy vanilla oak, abundant acidity and slightly grippy tannins. Lush, rich and delicious with or without food.
---------------------
Generally, I think of Barbera as a food wine. Although Scott's Barbera is great on its own, pair it with your favorite pasta and red sauce and it will really sing!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

SIWBM must stand! If you don't have a high requirement in place this is an auto-buy, even though it's not a huge savings from winery price.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

i have been holding back on wine purchases lately. the only thing that could get me to break would be something from Scott Harvey...i have enjoyed his zin and cathedral, and i've been curious about his barbera. i'm hesitating only because i'll be traveling at the end of may, and don't know how long it will take to ship. i must be strong...

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

From his own wine store:

piglett23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piglett23
trifecta wrote:I just had this a little over a week ago. Picked it up on Scott's birthday sale. Posted in CT:

"No detailed notes. Bottle disappeared after a hard day of work. Great fruit and balance. Still prefer the reserve, but the mountain selection is ridiculous QPR. Amador Barbera is the real deal."

Had I known it was coming up I might have taken better notes. I highly recommend this if you haven't tried Barbera from Scott, or even Amador for that matter.

thank you for making me feel better about buying so quickly!

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Do you come to Portland ever? You can have it shipped to me if you want to pick it up next time you're in town; I have a passive wine cellar, so it'll currently be kept around 59F (highest point last summer was 62F)...

Big fan of Barbera and of SH. But trying not to spend! Grrr, tough call here.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 29

Spring has sprung! Time to fire up the grill and open that big-assed red before the weather gets too hot to drink big-tannin wines. Host a Get-Together in your area!

May
5/4: NorCal #16: Vincent Arroyo Open House
5/4: SoCal #25: Pasta-making!
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland

June
6/1: NorCal #17: Classified Bordeaux Tasting
6/15: NorCal #18: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bradleyp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradleyp

Amador Barbera is like nectar from the heavens. I am not a paid spokesperson, rather a former Amador alcoholic, fueled by the grape. Spinetta Barbera is my favorite, and this is 44%... Therefore.... It must be done.

Irukandjia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irukandjia

We just had a bottle of this last night. I was looking for the Scott Harvey Zinfandel. It was marked down to 15.99 a bottle but they were out. We love barbera so gave this a shot instead. It was delicious. The flavor is excellent. It's 17.99 a bottle regular price here though, and the store is right around the corner. Not enough price difference for me to be interested in this deal.

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis
Irukandjia wrote:We just had a bottle of this last night. I was looking for the Scott Harvey Zinfandel. It was marked down to 15.99 a bottle but they were out. We love barbera so gave this a shot instead. It was delicious. The flavor is excellent. It's 17.99 a bottle regular price here though, and the store is right around the corner. Not enough price difference for me to be interested in this deal.

Might I ask which store you are referring to?

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Wine-Searcher has it listed at $15/btl in MN, with an "average" price (?!) of $19.

Since this deal w/$5 shipping added comes to about $16.40/btl, it might be worthwhile to shop around some before taking the leap. At the very least, it suggests the deal may not be all that.

Irukandjia

guzmantis wrote:Might I ask which store you are referring too?

It's a local store in northwest Ohio. About half of the store is wine the rest is fresh produce a meat counter deli and some regular grocery store type things. I guess a specialty food store?

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
Irukandjia wrote:It's a local store in northwest Ohio. About half of the store is wine the rest is fresh produce a meat counter deli and some regular grocery store type things. I guess a specialty food store?

I might have to move from VA to northwest Ohio!!!

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine
sdbcmr wrote:Wine-Searcher has it listed at $15/btl in MN, with an "average" price (?!) of $19.

Since this deal w/$5 shipping added comes to about $16.40/btl, it might be worthwhile to shop around some before taking the leap. At the very least, it suggests the deal may not be all that.

While I agree that I wish it was cheaper, a total order from the website and shipping to middle America at $24.99 would put it right at about $27/bottle. So it's better than I can get it anywhere else (assuming there is a high probability my local mega-wine shop doesn't have it for a screamin' deal.)

Now, on to the dilemma. With my SIWBM (which we all know is a joke and subject to dissolve at the drop of a deal) firmly in place, is this wine better than the Vietti I can get at about $2 more /bottle? I know they are different wines, but I would guess they are in the same ballpark. Don't get me wrong, I have a few bottles of the J&S Reserve Barbera and let me tell you I think the world of those wines.

So the thing that's stopping me, I guess, would be: does the mountain selection leap over other Barbera bottles in the same $15-20 price range warranting the purchase of 5 when I am in no need of stocking at this point?

Irukandjia

slm9951 wrote:I might have to move from VA to northwest Ohio!!!

We have a few really excellent stores with a great wine selection. Everyone I know that has been to the store I got the wine from jokes that if you go in there for food you always end up spending more on wine. The problem is they have great local meat and excellent produce as well so I end up in there a lot. They'vee got isles of beer too so you can really get some good stuff there. If you can't get this wine locally this is a great way to get it. It really was a wonderful wine. I had 5 people over for dinner last night and one of them likes to put ice cubes in wine.... The rest treat their wine a little better. But everyone loved this wine. I've like most wines I've had from Amador county actually. And if you're ever in that part of California it's one of the most entertaining places to wine taste. I liked it better than napa valley. Smaller wineries and very friendly people.

azn137

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azn137

I want these, but I don't need all 5. Anybody want to split this? I'll take 2. I live in Manhattan, New York.

[MOD: Use PMs please. No emails should be posted in public forums.]

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Call the winery, they will make other shipping arrangements with you. Just tell them you are calling b/c of the WW offer today.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Never had Scott's Barbera, this is $18 a bottle shipped to Socal and pretty tempting. Maybe you all can push me over the edge.

Ill take one.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

guzmantis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis

We thoroughly enjoyed the 2009 SH Mountain Selection Barbera. I already have a couple of these 2010s cellaring, but given the amount of pasta we eat in our house I already know I'm in for 1. Looks to be a great QPR.

I'll pop a bottle of this and report back with some tasting notes later this evening.

EDIT//
Last Wooter to Woot: guzmantis

psiwajek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psiwajek
Irukandjia wrote:We have a few really excellent stores with a great wine selection. Everyone I know that has been to the store I got the wine from jokes that if you go in there for food you always end up spending more on wine. The problem is they have great local meat and excellent produce as well so I end up in there a lot. They'vee got isles of beer too so you can really get some good stuff there. If you can't get this wine locally this is a great way to get it. It really was a wonderful wine. I had 5 people over for dinner last night and one of them likes to put ice cubes in wine.... The rest treat their wine a little better. But everyone loved this wine. I've like most wines I've had from Amador county actually. And if you're ever in that part of California it's one of the most entertaining places to wine taste. I liked it better than napa valley. Smaller wineries and very friendly people.

Is this store the Anderson's by any chance?

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Hi Everyone,
Great to be back on Woot. I'll get on and off today. My oldest daughter, Paulette just headed into the hospital to have a baby. This will be her second and my second grand child.
Quick note on Barbera from Amador County. Barbera traditionally comes from the Piedmont of Italy. The Piedmont is a range of foothills up against a fast young growing mountain range, the Alps. Well, Amador County is the same thing a foothill region up against a fast young growing mountain range, the Sierra Nevada. Both mountain ranges are gigantic granite monolithic up lifts due to continental drift and both have decomposed granite soils coming off the sides of them. The difference is that the Piedmont is very close to a marine influence and gets a lot of fog off the Mediterranean. The best variety in Piedmont is named after the fog and is called Nebbiolo. It produces the great Barolo's and Barberesco's of Italy. Barbera is a second tier variety in the Piedmont because it is a sun loving variety. So it gets the second best vineyard sites. Amador County's marine influence, the Pacific, is to far away to develop fog during the growing season. So, it being sun loving variety, gets our best vineyard sites. With time I predict that Amador County will become known as the best Barbera appellation in the world.

klezman

Oh yeah, I'll take two from a SoCal person wanting to split. Or a NorCal person, since I've currently got bottles for/from tenuki, joatmon, trifecta, and cmaldoon.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Hi Everyone,
Great to be back on Woot. I'll get on and off today. My oldest daughter, Paulette just headed into the hospital to have a baby. This will be her second and my second grand child.

Mazal tov! Best of luck to her and your family!

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Ill take one.

1 for you, 2 for me and 2 for Klez.
Done.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:1 for you, 2 for me and 2 for Klez.
Done.

I owe you $5.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink

Had this last night after purchasing locally a couple of weeks ago. Very nice, drinkable wine. Both DW and I enjoyed it. I pointed out to her we had Scott Harvey wines from Woot before. If we weren't moving in two weeks I would pull the trigger. :Sigh:

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

*sigh* too good to pass up. Go ahead and take my money.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Very good juice, especially with a few years of age!

silent7seven

greyday wrote:Do you come to Portland ever? You can have it shipped to me if you want to pick it up next time you're in town; I have a passive wine cellar, so it'll currently be kept around 59F (highest point last summer was 62F)...

Big fan of Barbera and of SH. But trying not to spend! Grrr, tough call here.

Thanks for the offer! I just don't make it to Portland often enough to justify the hassle.

silent7seven

andreaserben wrote:From his own wine store:
https://www.nexternal.com/scottharve/images/SHWShipments.gif

Checked my history, I guess I was wrong in thinking I was able to get SH in the past.

greeneggsandham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greeneggsandham

Scott,

I love Barbera, but I’ve experienced a large variation in drinking window, e.g. I’ve has many that were good to peak within five years, but I’ve also got some 96’s that are just coming around.

What would you say for yours?

Thanks

klezman

cortot20 wrote:1 for you, 2 for me and 2 for Klez.
Done.

Cool. I'll add it to my ever-growing ledger.

epbakis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages epbakis

Anyone in the east bay- wc/concord mind if I take 2 off your hands or split?