WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Designed 4 Life Salt

Without salt, there would be no life. Seriously. Haven't you ever seen that Star Trek episode with the vampire woman? She knew. If she were here, she'd be grabbing her credit card and loading up on salt. Don't let her win again, friends! Don't let her take your salt! Order now!
Designed 4 Life official site

Cesare

quality posts: 1619 Private Messages Cesare

Designed 4 Life Salt

Designed 4 Life Himalayan Salt Cooking Plate, 8" x 16" x 2"
$44.99 $69.99 36% off List Price

Designed 4 Life Himalayan Salt Cooking Plate, 8" x 12" x 2"
$39.99 $59.99 33% off List Price

Designed 4 Life Salt Shaver with Himalayan Pink Salt Chunks and Cooking Plate
$19.99 $24.99 20% off List Price

Designed 4 Life 8" x 4" x 2" Himalayan Salt Cooking Plates, Set of 2
$19.99 $28.99 31% off List Price

Designed 4 Life Fine Salt, Indian Pepper, Salt Cook Tray
$24.99 $32.99 24% off List Price

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ruckstande

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruckstande

I want this but have no idea how to use it.

thebaldwinboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thebaldwinboy
ruckstande wrote:I want this but have no idea how to use it.

Agreed. Could someone with some culinary intelligence help us understand how to use this item?

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
thebaldwinboy wrote:Agreed. Could someone with some culinary intelligence help us understand how to use this item?

Here's some tips from Wooters who bought it in earlier sales...one of the posts also includes a pretty decent link to a youtube demonstration.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5380906

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

I purchased a 2-pack of these salt tiles on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/WBM-Himalayan-Multi-Purpose-Natural-5-Pounds/dp/B004OHOHV8/ref=sr_1_20?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1367000533&sr=1-20&keywords=himalayan+salt

Here are my thoughts:

Shipping/Receiving - Although they came bubble wrapped, the corners were still worn off from excessive "handling." One of them clearly had a severe crack running through the tile. As I suspected, when slowly warming it up the first time, the cracked one exploded in the oven. Of course, Amazon is awesome and sent me a replacement.

Tempering - If you're going to use them to cook on, then you have to temper them to heat. This means the first time you warm them, you have to do so VERY slowly. The process I read about and used was to put them in your oven, set the oven at 200 degrees...wait 30 min...raise the oven by 25 degrees or so every 20-30 minutes until the oven gets to 500. You only need to do this the first time.

Cooking - I've mostly tried to use them on the grill. The idea is it's fun to use them as a surface to grill/cook food on...and you get a nice slightly salty flavor on the food. The biggest drawback I've found is the blocks take a really long time to heat up...so where as it only takes 15 minutes for my grill to get to 500 degrees, it would take the salt block in the grill 30+ minutes. I always feel like I'm wasting too much fuel when using these. I notice the description on the "two small brick" write-up says they warm up in less time than this (and in a 350 degree oven), but I heartily disagree.

The steak I cooked on them was tasty, but it was also pretty salty. If you're sensitive to salt flavor, then you're going to disagree with the "slightly salty flavor" description and consider it "really pretty salty".

All in all, I say it's a gimmick, but still a pretty fun gimmick. I haven't used them to serve cheese/appetizers on yet, but they are pretty.

dulcetdarling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dulcetdarling

I bought one for my parents a few years ago. They like to heat it up and serve baked brie on it to keep the cheese warm. I've used one to serve apples with, because I love salted fruit. I think they're beautiful, and that's enough for me to justify buying pink salt in any form.

tippypaws

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tippypaws

Couldn't you just sprinkle salt on your food for the same effect?

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
Cyradia wrote:I purchased a 2-pack of these salt tiles on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/WBM-Himalayan-Multi-Purpose-Natural-5-Pounds/dp/B004OHOHV8/ref=sr_1_20?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1367000533&sr=1-20&keywords=himalayan+salt

Here are my thoughts:

Shipping/Receiving - Although they came bubble wrapped, the corners were still worn off from excessive "handling." One of them clearly had a severe crack running through the tile. As I suspected, when slowly warming it up the first time, the cracked one exploded in the oven. Of course, Amazon is awesome and sent me a replacement.

Tempering - If you're going to use them to cook on, then you have to temper them to heat. This means the first time you warm them, you have to do so VERY slowly. The process I read about and used was to put them in your oven, set the oven at 200 degrees...wait 30 min...raise the oven by 25 degrees or so every 20-30 minutes until the oven gets to 500. You only need to do this the first time.

Cooking - I've mostly tried to use them on the grill. The idea is it's fun to use them as a surface to grill/cook food on...and you get a nice slightly salty flavor on the food. The biggest drawback I've found is the blocks take a really long time to heat up...so where as it only takes 15 minutes for my grill to get to 500 degrees, it would take the salt block in the grill 30+ minutes. I always feel like I'm wasting too much fuel when using these. I notice the description on the "two small brick" write-up says they warm up in less time than this (and in a 350 degree oven), but I heartily disagree.

The steak I cooked on them was tasty, but it was also pretty salty. If you're sensitive to salt flavor, then you're going to disagree with the "slightly salty flavor" description and consider it "really pretty salty".

All in all, I say it's a gimmick, but still a pretty fun gimmick. I haven't used them to serve cheese/appetizers on yet, but they are pretty.

Everything I read said NOT to put into an oven only gas grill or stove top, many folks said theirs exploded in the oven, beware

http://www.saltnews.com/heating-using-cleaning-storing-your-himalayan-salt-block/

http://howtoeatndrink.com/2011/06/16/how-to-cook-with-a-himalayan-salt-block/

this one talks about not using an oven, hope it helps
http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/How-to-Cook-on-Pink-Himalayan-Salt-Blocks

himalayanchef

quality posts: 1 Private Messages himalayanchef

This Himalayan Salt Plate works great when serving hot or cold foods. It works great on the bbq grill. I really love to serve cold melons on it during the Summertime. It is also pleasing to the eye.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Wow - sounds like a delightful way to make cooking both more complicated AND more energy inefficient. I can see the draw to own one.......

You've been put on posting probation for this post

turkk001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turkk001
fredrinaldi wrote:Everything I read said NOT to put into an oven only gas grill or stove top, many folks said theirs exploded in the oven, beware

http://www.saltnews.com/heating-using-cleaning-storing-your-himalayan-salt-block/

http://howtoeatndrink.com/2011/06/16/how-to-cook-with-a-himalayan-salt-block/

this one talks about not using an oven, hope it helps
http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Resources/How-to-Cook-on-Pink-Himalayan-Salt-Blocks

As long as the first heating in the oven is done extremely slow as described in the post at the top of the thread, they work fine in the oven as I have been using them at least 5-6 times a month in the oven for maybe 3-4 years. I grabbed the largest one, the two and the one with the shaver.

It may take longer to prepare but the taste is unique and you will not get the same taste through seasoning it no matter how hard you try.

I like salt as well so it works out perfect for me even though I use it probably all the time for cooking and have only used it as a cold serving tray 3-4 times max.

Imo they are totally worth it, especially if you can differentiate between different types of salt.

nowkad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nowkad

I put mine on the gas stove. Warm it slowly- 15 minutes on low, 15 on medium, 20 on high. Then put your meat on. No need to season- I've done venison, steak, shrimp, scallops, all delicious. I haven't tried the clod route yet. I want to try ahi tuna. This is a neat item for entertaining, & when the food tastes so delicious, its an added bonus!

lhamilt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lhamilt

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

good Q&A site
http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/comment-page-2/#comment-57399

chmoore3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chmoore3

Quick question, from several reviews I've read, salt blocks have arrived damaged or broken and are therefore unusable for grilling etc. what is the policy of this company for replacement if this occurs?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chmoore3 wrote:Quick question, from several reviews I've read, salt blocks have arrived damaged or broken and are therefore unusable for grilling etc. what is the policy of this company for replacement if this occurs?

I'm sorry for the problems. Email support@woot.com and they'll help you out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kbsig106

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kbsig106

how do you store/reuse?

colin91473

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colin91473
kbsig106 wrote:how do you store/reuse?

Link to a pretty good site below that sells them too. I'm not recommending buying from the, just that there is good info.

They recommend storing in the dryest possible place. If you live in a high humidity area, wrap in a towel before you put in your cupboard.

Cleaning seems very straight forward. Doesn't take much since bacteria can't live in it.

With oven cooking, they don't recommend it at all. But if you do, they say warm it on the stovetop first, then put in the oven.

I think using it on the grill sounds like a lot of fun. I am going to have to try this in the smoker. I can't help but wonder how that will go. It could be outstanding!

melmat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melmat

Yuck! i hate salt. i don't hardly use salt at all for cooking. i don't understand this item even after reading all the comments above. WHY? lol
no i really don't care to know.

tara1qt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tara1qt

I bought one of these salt blocks last time Woot sold them. I was excited to give it a try. After waiting quite a while for it to arrive, it arrived with the edges dinged up and a good chunk off one corner broken. Contacted woot and was given a refund no problem.

Still curious about it since a large portion was still intact, I tried heating it in the oven. Long story short after slowly heating my oven (about 3 hours) a couple minutes after bumping it up from 300 to 350 it exploded. Big mess.

I did read ovens were risky but thought heating up the block very slowly would be safe - I think the fracture from the one corner missing just made the whole thing not so sturdy.

I have thought about purchasing another to try on the grill but I just cant get myself to go through all of that again.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

These work incredibly well for cooking - so long as you know how to use them. They also make fantastic presentation plates for sushi dinners and the like.

That said, I don't know about other parts of the country but I do know that the World Spice Merchant here in Seattle sells Himalayan Pink Blocks for less than Woot is selling them for here, and you don't have to worry about them becoming damaged in transit. Check your local area for blocks before buying these, I would say.

dipswitch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dipswitch

I bought one of these last time and I love it. I've only used it on the grill for cooking fish and shrimp so far. See my imgur album here... http://imgur.com/a/tqjuD#0