$69.99 $̶1̶2̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 46% off List Price
2 2009 XYZin 50 Zinfandel, Russian River Valley
1 2009 XYZin 100 Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

coolchris160

quality posts: 50 Private Messages coolchris160

My knowledge of wine isn't anywhere near as advanced as many of you wine wooters. Three things have caught my attention though with this offer:

1. It's a Zin (which is my favorite red wine so far)
2. These are some seriously old vines. (It's my understanding that an age of 20 years is all that's needed to be considered "old vine.") These wines are from 50 and 100 year old vines.
3. One of these is from the Russian River Valley which I've seen a bit of hype about.

So can anyone offer some insights, notes, and/or opinions about these wines? I'd appreciate it and thank you in advance.

jrdnmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrdnmiller
coolchris160 wrote:My knowledge of wine isn't anywhere near as advanced as many of you wine wooters. Three things have caught my attention though with this offer:

2. These are some seriously old vines. (It's my understanding that an age of 20 years is all that's needed to be considered "old vine.") These wines are from 50 and 100 year old vines.
3. One of these is from the Russian River Valley which I've seen a bit of hype about.

So can anyone offer some insights, notes, and/or opinions about these wines? I'd appreciate it and thank you in advance.

Haven't had this yet myself but I did purchase. Based on Cellar Tracker, it looks like the grapes are grown by Geyser Peak. Had great reviews as well!

rdeason1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rdeason1

Hosed again! Geyser Peak doesn't ship to Arizona, so I'm out of luck. I can't attest for these vintages, but have loved the ones from years past.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
coolchris160 wrote:My knowledge of wine isn't anywhere near as advanced as many of you wine wooters. Three things have caught my attention though with this offer:

I've not had these wines, but a couple things to note.
1) There is zero regulation on the term "old vine" on a wine label - that means anybody can call their vines "old" just if they feel like it. So giving a distinct age is nice in this case.
2) Older vines tend to give fewer berries per vine. This tends to mean more concentrated flavours.
3) It's too bad these are different appelations rather than different blocks in the same vineyard - that would have allowed for a real side-by-side of differently aged vines.
4) Based on the numbers, these are likely not fruit bombs.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

happymaury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages happymaury

I have had XYZ wine before- the 10 year and it is an excellent lower cost version. I have not had the older versions but have heard they are great from the owner of the wine store that carries all three. This is an excellent price and by far the best price to try them at.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 18 Private Messages deckerbrian

I have had both but in previous vintages. If you like zinfandel you will probably like these. They are not huge fruit bombs but nicely balanced. As usual, the french oak aging puts a little cedary tinge on the finish. Again, my opinions are from a couple past vintages. 2006 and 2007, I believe.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

Although I was critical yesterday of the woot off, I must today thank woot for this offering. I love Zins from Russian River Valley, and this 2009 XYZin looks like a winner. Should be tasting real nice by Thanksgiving.

Thanks WD for this selection! This is exactly the type of wine that had me fall in love with woot in the beginning.

In for 2!

Last Wooter to Woot:
emccarl

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
emccarl wrote:
Thanks WD for this selection! This is exactly the type of wine that had me fall in love with woot in the beginning.
Last Wooter to Woot:
emccarl

took the words right out of my mouth.. this does indeed look pretty great..

any other notes or thoughts from anyone out there? seems pretty dead today even with coming back from the woot off..

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

emccarl wrote:

In for 2!

Last Wooter to Woot:
emccarl

Thanks. yes, this is a good one.

deecue

Winedavid39 wrote:Thanks. yes, this is a good one.

WD, could you compare this to some popular previous old vine zins such as:

http://wine.woot.com/offers/scott-harvey-old-vine-zinfandel-5

or

http://wine.woot.com/offers/scott-harvey-vineyard-1869-amador-county-zinfandel

Thanks!
dave

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

deecue wrote:WD, could you compare this to some popular previous old vine zins such as:

http://wine.woot.com/offers/scott-harvey-old-vine-zinfandel-5

or

http://wine.woot.com/offers/scott-harvey-vineyard-1869-amador-county-zinfandel

Thanks!
dave

The obvious difference is growing region. Both Amador and northern sonoma country are known for growing Zinfandel but are distinctly different.

also i have found scott's wines to be more restrained than most Zins out there. Not over the top Jammy bombs that one can get. The flavors are there, you just have to take your time with the wine. When i think of SH wines i think of balance.

these XYZ wines are more outside the lines than SH. Flavors are more obvious, but by no means over the top. Theses are not Jammy bombs.

Both are well crafted.

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr
happymaury wrote:I have had XYZ wine before- the 10 year and it is an excellent lower cost version. I have not had the older versions but have heard they are great from the owner of the wine store that carries all three. This is an excellent price and by far the best price to try them at.

I agree - I've only had the 10 year before and it is one of my absolute favorite wines. I make special trips to one of the few stores in the tri-state area around me that carries it just to stock up. If I were able to have this shipped to me, I would be seriously tempted. This is a great price and I'm sure this would be excellent. For those that like Zinfandel, I highly recommend!

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

geyserpeakwinery

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geyserpeakwinery
happymaury wrote:I have had XYZ wine before- the 10 year and it is an excellent lower cost version. I have not had the older versions but have heard they are great from the owner of the wine store that carries all three. This is an excellent price and by far the best price to try them at.

XYZin Wines here...if you like the 10Yr, then pick this 3 bottle set. The 50Yr is not as up front juicy like the 10Yr yet has a nice balance of spice and berry. The 100 Yr is really nice, more tart red fruits, bigger wine.

deecue

Winedavid39 wrote:The obvious difference is growing region. Both Amador and northern sonoma country are known for growing Zinfandel but are distinctly different.

also i have found scott's wines to be more restrained than most Zins out there. Not over the top Jammy bombs that one can get. The flavors are there, you just have to take your time with the wine. When i think of SH wines i think of balance.

these XYZ wines are more outside the lines than SH. Flavors are more obvious, but by no means over the top. Theses are not Jammy bombs.

Both are well crafted.

many thanks again WD.. really excited to try these out and then hunt down the 10 year as a daily drinker if all goes well..

in for 1..