$99.99 $̶1̶6̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
Jana Cathedral 2005 Napa Valley Red Meritage Style Blend
CT link above

Previous offer:
3/22/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

What makes this a special library? It looks like the same 2005 from here:

http://wine.woot.com/offers/jana-cathedral-2-pack-by-scott-harvey

Not nit picking, just curious.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Speed to First Woot: 1m 56.441s
First Sucker:cynthylee

Well... that hasn't happened in a GREAT while. But it is Jana and I haven't bought a thing since they yanked PW's Syrah. Had to get SOMETHING!
Cheers!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

this is expensive but some GOOD Juice, still got 2, 2005's sleeping
much better but still got a way to go to make up for the last 8 hrs.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
greyday wrote:What makes this a special library? It looks like the same 2005 from here:

http://wine.woot.com/offers/jana-cathedral-2-pack-by-scott-harvey

Not nit picking, just curious.

Same wine, but it's a Library wine now because it's two years later. (It's being supplied from their library, so to speak -- i.e., not from current distribution stock.)

The price for library wines will always be higher because you're sort of paying for the optimal storage it's had over the past couple years, and because it's no longer commonly available. (Supply vs. Demand)

fredrinaldi

cynthylee wrote:Speed to First Woot: 1m 56.441s

Well... that hasn't happened in a GREAT while. But it is Jana and I haven't bought a thing since they yanked PW's Syrah. Had to get SOMETHING!
Cheers!

you will like this, Black Tie offer.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

So conflicted. A great wine...bought last time at the same price. I know the $55 for 2 will never come back, but do I want to go in again at this price? Decisions decisions...

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
emmabean2000 wrote:So conflicted. A great wine...bought last time at the same price. I know the $55 for 2 will never come back, but do I want to go in again at this price? Decisions decisions...

Just say "no"

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
emmabean2000 wrote:So conflicted. A great wine...bought last time at the same price. I know the $55 for 2 will never come back, but do I want to go in again at this price? Decisions decisions...

How much longer will wine from this vintage be available?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

greyday

moondigger wrote:Same wine, but it's a Library wine now because it's two years later. (It's being supplied from their library, so to speak -- i.e., not from current distribution stock.)

The price for library wines will always be higher because you're sort of paying for the optimal storage it's had over the past couple years, and because it's no longer commonly available. (Supply vs. Demand)

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!

Now to decide. I still have a bottle of this in my cellar, and 2 out of the 3 I drank weren't that good, but the one that was may have been the best bottle of wine I've ever had. I hate these kind of decisions...

garrowood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garrowood

Well, I already bought some spendy special occasion wine today (Victory). Pass, though this gets such good reviews.

cynthylee

fredrinaldi wrote:you will like this, Black Tie offer.

I've got a few other Jana's down in the rack. I'll have to check the years. If I had to bite during the .off, this is a good one to go for! And just wrote out the last check for the daughter's wedding, so I'm "flush" again!
Cheers Fred!

Wow... just checked the rack and then checked my account. I got four for $15 more two years ago. I sure hope this stuff is aging well!

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Same price, basically, at local stores ($55) per Wine Searcher.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/jana+cathedral/2005

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine
greyday wrote:Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!

Now to decide. I still have a bottle of this in my cellar, and 2 out of the 3 I drank weren't that good, but the one that was may have been the best bottle of wine I've ever had. I hate these kind of decisions...

I'm curious, were they all 05's and one was just magically good, or are you indicating different vintage years? The ct notes on this one are inconsistent so if you had all 05's and only one was good, what was different about that one?

idz21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idz21

Wooters - just a friendly reminder about the new cart feature & shipping rates policy. More details in my signature.

greyday

eluofthenine wrote:I'm curious, were they all 05's and one was just magically good, or are you indicating different vintage years? The ct notes on this one are inconsistent so if you had all 05's and only one was good, what was different about that one?

No idea. They were all 05s as far as I remember, they were from the same woot (the one I posted above). The first was outstanding, fruit forward and lush, just the righ sweetness and tannin balance. The second and third were all bitter and tannin, possibly even a bit sour, but I can't remember, it was almost two years ago. I kept the fourth bottle in hopes that it would either be as good as the first or improve with age...

I did the exact same process with all three bottles: decanted through an aerator, sat for 30-60, then drank slowly over the span of about 4-5 hours.

Either way, no love lost for Scott or his wines, have had several greats from him since, just makes me second guess spending $53 per on them is all...

eluofthenine

greyday wrote:No idea. They were all 05s as far as I remember, they were from the same woot (the one I posted above). The first was outstanding, fruit forward and lush, just the righ sweetness and tannin balance. The second and third were all bitter and tannin, possibly even a bit sour, but I can't remember, it was almost two years ago. I kept the fourth bottle in hopes that it would either be as good as the first or improve with age...

I did the exact same process with all three bottles: decanted through an aerator, sat for 30-60, then drank slowly over the span of about 4-5 hours.

Either way, no love lost for Scott or his wines, have had several greats from him since, just makes me second guess spending $53 per on them is all...

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

fredrinaldi

greyday wrote:No idea. They were all 05s as far as I remember, they were from the same woot (the one I posted above). The first was outstanding, fruit forward and lush, just the righ sweetness and tannin balance. The second and third were all bitter and tannin, possibly even a bit sour, but I can't remember, it was almost two years ago. I kept the fourth bottle in hopes that it would either be as good as the first or improve with age...

I'm passing with 2 at home and the price, I'm just sitting back reading the post and enjoying another Ardente bottle of juice.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

The story behind this wine's name is a good one. Scott & Jana tell it regularly at wine dinners so I think it's ok to repeat it here.

Scott and Jana had been dating for a few months when Jana decided that she would really like to go to Sedona, AZ to check out the red rocks and vortices. Still being in the early stages of the relationship, Scott was very eager to please and quickly agreed to the trip.

Once there, they explored Cathedral Rock and Scott was so moved by the mood, moment and natural beauty of their surroundings that he proposed to Jana right there on the spur of the moment.

Obviously she said yes and when it came time to name their best wine, they knew it had to have a special name, so "Cathedral" was chosen.

fredrinaldi

fredrinaldi wrote:I'm passing with 2 at home and the price, I'm just sitting back reading the post and enjoying another Ardente bottle of juice.

wrong response

fredrinaldi

chipgreen wrote:The story behind this wine's name is a good one. Scott & Jana tell it regularly at wine dinners so I think it's ok to repeat it here.

Scott and Jana had been dating for a few months when Jana decided that she would really like to go to Sedona, AZ to check out the red rocks and vortices. Still being in the early stages of the relationship, Scott was very eager to please and quickly agreed to the trip.

Once there, they explored Cathedral Rock and Scott was so moved by the mood, moment and natural beauty of their surroundings that he proposed to Jana right there on the spur of the moment.

Obviously she said yes and when it came time to name their best wine, they knew it had to have a special name, so "Cathedral" was chosen.

good story, looking at the sales stats this c/b around awhile

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
cynthylee wrote:Speed to First Woot: 1m 56.441s

Cheers!

May I invite myself over to try some of this whenever you get around to opening it? haha

eluofthenine

I'd like to talk about the multiple repors of bad bottles if there's nothing else to do. Maybe Scott can look at the ct notes and the report further up and give us some insight. Were they maybe flawed bottles from production? Maybe they were all damaged from shipping? With the type of complaints, eg "sour" and "rot gut", you wouldn't think these are complaints of a merely young wine.

Furthermore; so if this is a wine that has some spotty bottles and I do buy some, and lets say they sit for two years and I open one and find it bad. Is woot customer service gonna stand behind a purchase that old?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coolchris160 wrote:May I invite myself over to try some of this whenever you get around to opening it? haha

No, she just needs to hold a tasting!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cynthylee

coolchris160 wrote:May I invite myself over to try some of this whenever you get around to opening it? haha

Hi Chris--if you get this, since I see Jana's is sold out, give a shout!
Cheers!

cynthylee

otolith wrote:No, she just needs to hold a tasting!

Hey Oto... we'll see about that. Now that the daughter's wedding has taken place, I might just get a little entertaining groove on!
Cheers!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
cynthylee wrote:Hey Oto... we'll see about that. Now that the daughter's wedding has taken place, I might just get a little entertaining groove on!
Cheers!

Excellent! I may try to do something this summer as well.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:Excellent! I may try to do something this summer as well.

Good to hear about all this Minnesota hospitality. I of course would hold a gathering in South Dakota, should any of you decide to stop by.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Sorry I missed a Jana offer. Although I still have a case of the '05, so I wouldn't be buying anymore at this price.

This is by far one of my top 5 wines. When heading to a nice restaurant and trying to decide what to bring, I often go back and forth between this and one of the CdPs I have or one of a handful of other 'special occasion' wines.

I'm really excited for the release of the 2010, sometime this year. Given that the '05 is still quite young, if you have room in your cellar, I'd pounce on this. You can buy it cheaper if you're a member of the wine club and wait around for one of the 25% off + free shipping holidays. But I wouldn't expect the '05 to be around too much longer. I was lucky enough to get a bottle of the '03 from their last case this past November.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
coynedj wrote:Good to hear about all this Minnesota hospitality. I of course would hold a gathering in South Dakota, should any of you decide to stop by.

Hah - we are hijacking the thread!
Time to plan a road trip to SD, huh?

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
eluofthenine wrote:I'd like to talk about the multiple repors of bad bottles if there's nothing else to do. Maybe Scott can look at the ct notes and the report further up and give us some insight. Were they maybe flawed bottles from production? Maybe they were all damaged from shipping? With the type of complaints, eg "sour" and "rot gut", you wouldn't think these are complaints of a merely young wine.

Furthermore; so if this is a wine that has some spotty bottles and I do buy some, and lets say they sit for two years and I open one and find it bad. Is woot customer service gonna stand behind a purchase that old?

Sorry, I wasn't on when this wine was running. This wine has been in the bottle for a while now. This is made in the old Napa Valley style from the 50's and 60's with lower alcohol, 13.5% and low pH, 3.45pH. A wine like that goes through a change at about two years in the bottle. During the change, the tannins are hooking up into large longer chains, the wine will experience a dumb stage. Hopefully, this is what was happening. When the wine comes out of the stage it will be smoother, richer and much more complex having developed bottle bouquet.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Come visit us in St. Helena. I'll open one.