WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Peter Wellington Victory Reserve (2)

Speed to First Woot:
2m 38.881s
First Sucker:
jgosau
Last Wooter to Woot:
mbrehon
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 29% of Wine Woots
Top 34% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 35% of Wine Woots
Bottom 49% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 0% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 9% < 10 woots
  • 9% < 25 woots
  • 83% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 4% one year old
  • 94% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 79% bought 1
  • 15% bought 2
  • 6% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
21%
56%
21%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Cesare


quality posts: 1646 Private Messages Cesare

Peter Wellington 2007 Victory Reserve 2-Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶4̶5̶.̶2̶5̶ 48% off List Price
2007 Wellington Victory Reserve
CT link above

Previous offer:
10/19/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

moondigger


quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I had a moment of elation ("it's the Wellington!") followed by disappointment ("What the heck? It's not the missing Syrah from yesterday).

The Victory Reserve has a good reputation, but I'm not one who often buys $40+ bottles.

Can somebody please comment on whether the six-pack of Syrahs yanked yesterday will come back today?

mstern20878


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

I really, honestly, fully-intended not to buy anything more until I had a little more room...but come on, do you blame me? Wellington Victory...YUM!
Not that ratings aren't over-rated, but Wine Enthusiast gives this wine a 94.

jrdnmiller


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrdnmiller

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5208349

This was previously offered before, sounds like it went very well

itsernst


quality posts: 1 Private Messages itsernst

Sitting in the dentist office....good thing he is habitually late and gave me the opportunity to purchase some of this juice in the waiting room.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Why didn't the price go down now that we pay our own tax?

rmbarry


quality posts: 2 Private Messages rmbarry

I was always curious about this offering - Wellington seems to come up often -- and wondered if it was a decent offering. Took a chance on this and have been very pleasantly surprised. This is a very worthwhile purchase and a great drink. Enjoy!

rmm989


quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Couldn't ship to NJ with the syrah, but the Victory can, and Wellington as a vineyard can't ship here. Go figure. I'm two Victories richer so I don't care

CT

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
mother wrote:Why didn't the price go down now that we pay our own tax?



Because they figure they can still sell enough?

guzmantis


quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis
jrdnmiller wrote:http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5208349

This was previously offered before, sounds like it went very well



It also came up in February for the same price, except now we're paying taxes for it. I bought a set each time.

Has anybody opened one of these yet? I opened a 2006 last year which turned out to be a bit too soon.

moondigger


quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
guzmantis wrote:Has anybody opened one of these yet? I opened a 2006 last year which turned out to be a bit too soon.


In a previous offer's discussion, it was recommended by a few people to let this one sit at least 5 years.

jgosau


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgosau

It's definitely a bit early, give it a year or two. I finally got some decent aging storage ability, so I put down a couple more.
As for taxes, are you saying you didn't pay your state and local taxes on internet purchases with your tax return? a house landed on you ;).

webdev511


quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

I've got plenty of this atm. Still haven't opened it up just yet.

rjquillin


quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
guzmantis wrote:It also came up in February for the same price, except now we're paying taxes for it. I bought a set each time.

Has anybody opened one of these yet? I opened a 2006 last year which turned out to be a bit too soon.

Nine of these babies in long-term-storage and not looking to open soon, so I'll leave these for the rest of you to scramble over.
Hopefully Peter will offer some advice today on the drinking window.

CT

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
jgosau wrote:It's definitely a bit early, give it a year or two. I finally got some decent aging storage ability, so I put down a couple more.
As for taxes, are you saying you didn't pay your state and local taxes on internet purchases with your tax return? a house landed on you ;).


I'd also let this sit for a few years... Excellent juice..

BTW If you paid exise tax on your Wine Woot purchases then the joke is on you, since the taxes were paid to your state by them.

But nice try...

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

I have a decent amount of this stuff and opened my first one recently. I remember it being balanced, but young. Rough tannins stand apart from the acid zingy ness making the wine seem less integrated than I would like. The wine is not overly fruited but had a nice showing of dark fruits and minerals. Was great with food, was just good on its own with the potential to be something much more special with time. Would buy more if I had room.

guzmantis


quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis
jgosau wrote:As for taxes, are you saying you didn't pay your state and local taxes on internet purchases with your tax return? a house landed on you ;).



Hah - nice try. I'm referring to the sales tax we're now being charged at checkout, instead of being (apparently) included in the total price of the deal beforehand.

klezman


quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Nine of these babies in long-term-storage and not looking to open soon, so I'll leave these for the rest of you to scramble over.
Hopefully Peter will offer some advice today on the drinking window.



Here I thought I had plenty with 4 in the storage locker. Along with 4 of the 2006 and 3 of the 2005. And the single vineyard cabs from 05 onward..

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
moondigger wrote:I had a moment of elation ("it's the Wellington!") followed by disappointment ("What the heck? It's not the missing Syrah from yesterday).

The Victory Reserve has a good reputation, but I'm not one who often buys $40+ bottles.

Can somebody please comment on whether the six-pack of Syrahs yanked yesterday will come back today?



Probably not ... but they may show up next WO, if there's enough. Warning: They may have been pulled because of stock issues, that is, someone may have thought there was more available than there was, so they had to end it early.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

TomRaz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TomRaz

I have been drinking Victory reserve since the 2005 version came out.

It is a really good wine. I recently received a 2007 in my wine club shipment from Wellington but I have not consumed it yet.

But this 2007 release did receive a 94 point rating from Wine Enthusiast Magazine which is a pretty good source of rating for wines

Here is the article

"Wine Enthusiast Review

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Here I thought I had plenty with 4 in the storage locker. Along with 4 of the 2006 and 3 of the 2005. And the single vineyard cabs from 05 onward..



None of the '04?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
MarkDaSpark wrote:Probably not ... but they may show up next WO, if there's enough. Warning: They may have been pulled because of stock issues, that is, someone may have thought there was more available than there was, so they had to end it early.



No, it was listed incorectly. We are sold out of 2007 Estate Syrah; it was supposed to be EnglandCrest. As to whether it will be up again during this wootoff, I don't know. I guess you'll just have to stay tuned to this channel.

klezman


quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:None of the '04?



Nope, didn't know of wine.woot back then, and certainly had never heard of Wellington (or Ty or Corison or Iron Horse or or or...)

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

btphillips


quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
eluofthenine wrote:I have a decent amount of this stuff and opened my first one recently. I remember it being balanced, but young. Rough tannins stand apart from the acid zingy ness making the wine seem less integrated than I would like. The wine is not overly fruited but had a nice showing of dark fruits and minerals. Was great with food, was just good on its own with the potential to be something much more special with time. Would buy more if I had room.



I agree. I tasted this vintage a couple of weeks ago with several other big bold reds and thought it was pretty tannic. However, we vacuumed and sampled the nest day and it had softened a bit, so maybe an extended decant would help. Otherwise, I think you should cellar this puppy for several years and it will be wonderful.

klezman


quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
SonomaBouliste wrote:No, it was listed incorectly. We are sold out of 2007 Estate Syrah; it was supposed to be EnglandCrest. As to whether it will be up again during this wootoff, I don't know. I guess you'll just have to stay tuned to this channel.



Peter, congrats on the high pointage from WE. Not that this community is big into them, but I know it can only help you and your business. Anyway, the critics are just catching up to what we've known for years!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

moondigger


quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
MarkDaSpark wrote:Probably not ... but they may show up next WO, if there's enough. Warning: They may have been pulled because of stock issues, that is, someone may have thought there was more available than there was, so they had to end it early.


Don't know if you saw the discussion yesterday, but Peter said the problem was with the description -- three of the six bottles were wrongly identified in the offer. At the same time, the progress bar went from 91% stock remaining to "sold out" instantly. I speculated that it hadn't really sold out, but had been marked that way to give the code monkeys time to fix the description and to limit mistaken orders. Peter responded that my guess was correct. So... hoping it will make a reappearance today.

TomRaz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TomRaz

Okay guys get back on the currently offering

ego48


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48

love PW. love Victory.

in for 3, but it does hurt that it is $11 more per bottle than the 2005 i bought right here in wootland.

moondigger


quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
TomRaz wrote:Okay guys get back on the currently offering


What's to say? Everybody seems to love it, and it will surely not last too long.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
rjquillin wrote:Nine of these babies in long-term-storage and not looking to open soon, so I'll leave these for the rest of you to scramble over.
Hopefully Peter will offer some advice today on the drinking window.



One of our primary goals in blending Victory is impeccable balance, which should translate into an enjoyable wine both young and old. Whether to age / how long to age becomes a matter of personal preference. With age, wine will soften, lose obvious fruit, gain complexity and richness. I anticipate this wine will age very well for a number of years - to 2017 without question, and likely quite a few years after that.

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
mstern20878 wrote:Not that ratings aren't over-rated, but Wine Enthusiast gives this wine a 94.


Well, they point in a direction at least.
Unfortunately for the buyer side a very high rating, especially when paired with a good vintage usually results in higher prices as seen here also.

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
ego48 wrote:love PW. love Victory.

in for 3, but it does hurt that it is $11 more per bottle than the 2005 i bought right here in wootland.



I raised the price because I think the 2007 is significantly better than the 2005 and 2006. I'm stashing more of this wine for my personal cellar than any other wine I've ever made.

btphillips


quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

Peter, could you comment on your blending style/philosophy for the Victory? Do you consistently go for left bank or right bank bordeaux blending styles? Do you blend with long term aging as a goal?

rdeason1


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rdeason1

(i)I have been drinking Victory reserve since the 2005 version came out.(/i)

Hope you're taking time to eat!

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
andreaserben wrote:Well, they point in a direction at least.
Unfortunately for the buyer side a very high rating, especially when paired with a good vintage usually results in higher prices as seen here also.




The pricing decision came before the rating.

rmm989


quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
SonomaBouliste wrote:One of our primary goals in blending Victory is impeccable balance, which should translate into an enjoyable wine both young and old. Whether to age / how long to age becomes a matter of personal preference. With age, wine will soften, lose obvious fruit, gain complexity and richness. I anticipate this wine will age very well for a number of years - to 2017 without question, and likely quite a few years after that.



Every vintage I've had has been excellent, and this is totally accurate.

For people that are scared of the price, this is a great place to try a really incredible wine at a price that's a great value.

The hard part is keeping your hands off of it long enough to let it really shine.

CT

nathanbsmith


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

in for 1+.

I am baffled because I am able purchase PW wines on www.wine.woot but cannot purchase at www.wellingtonvineyards.com - which also means I cannot join their wine club...

I really need to drink drink drink because I don't have any room for more wine but PW is an autobuy for me. always.

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

ego48


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48
SonomaBouliste wrote:I raised the price because I think the 2007 is significantly better than the 2005 and 2006. I'm stashing more of this wine for my personal cellar than any other wine I've ever made.



Great to know! Thanks!

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
btphillips wrote:Peter, could you comment on your blending style/philosophy for the Victory? Do you consistently go for left bank or right bank bordeaux blending styles? Do you blend with long term aging as a goal?



I want it all: aroma and flavor intensity and complexity, balance, length, drinkability and ageability. I'm not trying for a left bank style specifically, but Victory has always been a Cabernet sauvignon dominant blend so far. We keep an open mind when we do blending trials, but Victory has always ended up between 55% and 70% Cab. sauv. The other varieties' primary usefulness are twofold: adding different aromas and flavors and fine tuning balance and structure. When it comes down to the final fine tuning stages of blending it's all about structure, balance and finish.