2005 Pavi Napa Valley Dolcetto

Winery website

Previous offers:
3/18/13
10/16/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

OK... off to bed. If the Wellington shows up and any Minnesotans are awake for it... I'm in for one or two with you!
Cheers!

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

My tasting notes from the previous offer;
PnP. Deep Purple in the glass. There is some funk on the nose initially but it blows off quickly. Fruity but dry. Mostly dark fruits - black cherry, plum, boysenberry. Touch of anise. Moderate oak and tannins, they have probably mellowed a bit with time in the bottle. The tannins seem slightly astringent. Some bitterness on the finish but not unpleasant. This is drinking very well right now but should hold for another 2-3 years. Still, I would drink sooner rather than later.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
chipgreen wrote:My tasting notes from the previous offer [...]

As I recall, your notes from the previous offer involved a fever dream featuring Kate Upton and a soundtrack by Rush. The summary posted here pales in comparison. It's boring, is what it is.

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
cynthylee wrote:OK... off to bed. If the Wellington shows up and any Minnesotans are awake for it... I'm in for one or two with you!
Cheers!

Which Wellington...?

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
coolchris160 wrote:Which Wellington...?

Prob the last one they tried to sell.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

well I should not have expected anything different from the last few woot offs, alas I have my last glass of Cab and retire to fight another day.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
coolchris160 wrote:Which Wellington...?

Earlier today an offer came up with six bottles of Wellington Syrah (two three-packs). About 10 or 15 minutes after it posted, the progress bar went from 91% to "sold out" in an instant. A bunch of people were checking out and got denied. Apparently there was a problem in the offer description -- one of the three packs was not what was described. They took down the offer immediately so they could fix the description, and the assumption was that it would come back later. But some of us have been waiting around all day for the correct offer to be posted and it hasn't reappeared yet. You can see basically what went on by reading through the discussion from the offer.

chipgreen

moondigger wrote:As I recall, your notes from the previous offer involved a fever dream featuring Kate Upton and a soundtrack by Rush. The summary posted here pales in comparison. It's boring, is what it is.

I just copied/pasted from CT without the superfluous background fantasy sequence this time. Pretty sad if that would be enough to liven things up around here (but you can always look at it again in the previous offer thread if you really want to).

jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello

same here,off to bed. Denise ? or someone in Iowa City,if the Wellington comes up,grab some,I'd take whatever you don't want off your hands. J

chipgreen

I doubt that the Wellington offer will come up overnight, they know people are waiting for it. My guess would be around the same time tomorrow that it came up today which was somewhere between 11:30-12:00noon CT I think.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I doubt that the Wellington offer will come up overnight, they know people are waiting for it. My guess would be around the same time tomorrow that it came up today which was somewhere between 11:30-12:00noon CT I think.

I did get my confirmation on that one, with no cancellation following.

I too got to sample this Dolcetto during the March offer, but missed out on the purchase, and was waiting for it's reappearance; done.

CT

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

Glad I could share this from previous offer.

"Nice clear red color. Smells fruity and hot. Candied cherry, strawberry, with smoke.
Tastes fruity, a little hot, medium body, no tannin, good acid. Smokey but not earthy. Short finish.
Reminds me of a pinot noir with some syrah.
Good food wine, went well with the sausage rigatoni I made."

Could be similar to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinotage

chipgreen

Does anyone else ever look at the states map and think "it seems like the dark states are the ones that ordered most recently, not the most quantity" or is it just me?

chipgreen

Just me...

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:Does anyone else ever look at the states map and think "it seems like the dark states are the ones that ordered most recently, not the most quantity" or is it just me?

Just you - Ron is last purchaser and he's in CA.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Last purchase 48 minutes ago. This may still be here when I get up tomorrow.

Oops, another one while I was typing.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

chipgreen

klezman wrote:Just you - Ron is last purchaser and he's in CA.

Probably picked the wrong time to mention it as the last wooter to woot and corresponding map do not seem to be updating reliably for the wootoff.