nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

So whose boycotting the woot off..

Neal K Bharadwaj

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta

Not me. I just don't have any space... Just back to the way it was. To be realistic a boycott won't change anything.... just sayin

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
nealkb wrote:So whose boycotting the woot off..

Not sure what you mean to accomplish by not buying anything for a couple of days. The change is semi permanent. You have seen how long it takes to get things changed around here.

The success of the business depends on simple math. If woot is able to continue upward profitability with the shipping change then things will stay the way they are. Do as I do, take the price add shipping and tax to it, then divide it by the bottle count in the offer. If it seem like a great price per bottle and its something you might like then go for it. Recently I have found little to buy that seemed to interest me. This is most likely purely a price issue but it doesn't cause me to get up and arms about it. I simply take my money elsewhere.

Woot is a retailer pure and simple. Vote with your wallet not your keyboard.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

If the wine is something I like and I feel the price is right 5 dollar shipping will not stop me from buying, just like the old days..sorry

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

nealkb

tytiger58 wrote:If the wine is something I like and I feel the price is right 5 dollar shipping will not stop me from buying, just like the old days..sorry

Iv already reduced my buying habits to a few wines that I want to try or want to have, like Wellington or the woot labels. Maybe woot has lost its appeal, maybe wine clubs seem a little more appealing, C'est la vie.

Neal K Bharadwaj

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

The change will barely effect my normal w.w buying. It has already curtailed my Plus and Wootoff buying.

I think this wootoff is the 'how screwed are we?' wootoff. And it looks like they're pretty screwed.

I would expect anything under the $49 mark will sell more slowly, and as that moves down towards $0 it will become exponentially worse...

I'd also staff up the CS department to handle all the screaming complaints about how you charged them shipping by mistake, and then be ready for the chargebacks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

You might try shopping the Plus deals and putting those in your cart. When you find something you want in the Woot-Off you're ready to go. Just be sure to watch the Plus items for a sell out if you REALLY want it.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I am, but not because of the shipping change. That's just how it uses to be. I'm protesting because I'm not buying wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda

Not a big buyer(mostly lurker). Was primarily focused on Wine.Woot but since the new Virginia law interpretation that's gone anyway. For wine.woot this change would not have affected me much, if at all (partly due to the typical order value). However, for woot-offs and lower end, so-called "impulse" buys, this will pretty much stop them. I just generally feel a shift in atmosphere / vibe and as a 'lurker' that was a big part of why I regularly checked in on Woot. It will be interesting to see whether the 'discontent' will have a big enough financial impact to cause a change (ala NetFlix).

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ThunderThighs wrote:You might try shopping the Plus deals and putting those in your cart. When you find something you want in the Woot-Off you're ready to go. Just be sure to watch the Plus items for a sell out if you REALLY want it.

That's the problem TT. These aren't items that people REALLY WANT. Those are impulse items that people go looking for AFTER free shipping was unlocked and only bought BECAUSE it was unlocked. It is very unlikely to work the other way around.

I can't even recall how many times I have been like "oh, I just unlocked free shipping, lets see what other stuff I can buy that I don't need, but is cheap without the shipping". I certainly would not bother taking the time to go look for these unneeded items and bother adding them to my cart, just in case, I decided to buy something that day.

I realize you are doing your job, but Woots attempts to spin this off as actually being a new benefit to the customers is beyond ridiculous and very off-putting.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit
North316 wrote:That's the problem TT. These aren't items that people REALLY WANT. Those are impulse items that people go looking for AFTER free shipping was unlocked and only bought BECAUSE it was unlocked. It is very unlikely to work the other way around.

I can't even recall how many times I have been like "oh, I just unlocked free shipping, lets see what other stuff I can buy that I don't need, but is cheap without the shipping". I certainly would not bother taking the time to go look for these unneeded items and bother adding them to my cart, just in case, I decided to buy something that day.

I realize you are doing your job, but Woots attempts to spin this off as actually being a new benefit to the customers is beyond ridiculous and very off-putting.

Exactly. While $5 shipping for 1/2 case of wine is still a good deal (even figuring in the fact that we now pay tax on it also), $5 shipping on a $3, $5 or $10 item on one of the other Woot sites is not. The irony is we could buy many of these items on the site of Woot's owner (Amazon) by putting them all in our cart and unlocking free shipping when over $25 (or even better with Amazon Prime). When Woot started the $5 unlocks shipping we suddenly paid more attention (and paid more money) to the iffy choices on the other Woot sites and took more chances, even though the "huge" discounts from regular prices often is not much. And how fitting it is that Amazon is now pushing hard for the new internet tax.

zortapa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zortapa

My urge to splurge has been purged....

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
zortapa wrote:My urge to splurge has been purged....

was that a dirge?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
time2testit wrote:Exactly. While $5 shipping for 1/2 case of wine is still a good deal (even figuring in the fact that we now pay tax on it also), $5 shipping on a $3, $5 or $10 item on one of the other Woot sites is not. The irony is we could buy many of these items on the site of Woot's owner (Amazon) by putting them all in our cart and unlocking free shipping when over $25 (or even better with Amazon Prime). When Woot started the $5 unlocks shipping we suddenly paid more attention (and paid more money) to the iffy choices on the other Woot sites and took more chances, even though the "huge" discounts from regular prices often is not much. And how fitting it is that Amazon is now pushing hard for the new internet tax.

What he said, North too.

CT

rjquillin

Anyone else notice TRACKING NUMBERS have been restored to email shipping notifications?

yea!

Now, about the stuff you bought search...

CT

jgosau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgosau

$5 shipping on wine is still good. Anything else? A $15 item 33% off +$5 shipping is the same price as Amazon, and I get prime shipping there instead of waiting a couple of weeks.
Ok, now dump the pickles, greens etc and bring the Wellington, TC, SH ... I'd like some PW Noir de Noir and TC Titanium please

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
North316 wrote:...These aren't items that people REALLY WANT. Those are impulse items that people go looking for AFTER free shipping was unlocked and only bought BECAUSE it was unlocked...

I can't even recall how many times I have been like "oh, I just unlocked free shipping, lets see what other stuff I can buy that I don't need, but is cheap without the shipping".

Woots attempts to spin this off as actually being a new benefit to the customers is beyond ridiculous and very off-putting.

Amen brother!!!

Interesting move. My buying on WTSO hasn't slowed down (they've had some great deals lately), however my purchases on other sites have been less enticing lately. That's not to say I don't still buy on woot, just less then I used to, the free shipping was a kicker.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
ThunderThighs wrote:You might try shopping the Plus deals and putting those in your cart. When you find something you want in the Woot-Off you're ready to go. Just be sure to watch the Plus items for a sell out if you REALLY want it.

only - the way you suggested - how Woot wants us to do it does not seem the way that Wooters want to do it...

nealkb

Even if i was on a SIWBM, i usually break it for woot-offs. Can gladly say, I have escaped this one cleanly.. So far..

Neal K Bharadwaj

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
bsevern wrote:Amen brother!!!

Interesting move. My buying on WTSO hasn't slowed down (they've had some great deals lately), however my purchases on other sites have been less enticing lately. That's not to say I don't still buy on woot, just less then I used to, the free shipping was a kicker.

I'm just chiming in to express my incredible frustration with the shipping poke-in-the-eye from woot.

That said, I've been buying more lately from WTSO and lastbottle -- I'm finding they have more higher-end wines at better discounts than woot has had for a while. Since you're a WTSO fan too, any other sites you'd recommend? lot18 isn't really my thing...they're just as likely to overcharge as to have a good deal.

The coolest thing on lastbottle was their March Madness sale -- a lot like a wootoff, but true values with some really high-end one-bottle-only deals that came and went super fast.

nealkb

I really liked LastB Madness sale. Thats where it becomes worth it for me to buy, since they don't charge for shipping. I don't usually buy from their just because of the quantity they want for free shipping. I will dive on WTSO more often.

Neal K Bharadwaj

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
rjquillin wrote:

Now, about the stuff you bought search...

Stuff You Bought was just revamped and, even though you now get more info at a glance, it's become even harder to find a past purchase. I also would like a search function, but also a filter function so we can filter for purchases we bought on a specific site (Wine, Home, etc.), sorta like we had before where a list of past purchases could be found on that site's page itself.

I especially want to go back to previous wine purchases, so I can read TNs when I open a particular bottle.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

THAT was one of the worst woot off's I have ever seen. brite side ?
I saved a LOT of $$$

nealkb

fredrinaldi wrote:THAT was one of the worst woot off's I have ever seen. brite side ?
I saved a LOT of $$$

Preach!!!

Neal K Bharadwaj

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta
bolligra wrote:
I especially want to go back to previous wine purchases, so I can read TNs when I open a particular bottle.

I want the search as well. But this part is pretty easy. Just go to the forums page and use the google custom search bar in the upper right. You can look at all previous woot offerings that match your search and get to the thread that way.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:I want the search as well. But this part is pretty easy. Just go to the forums page and use the google custom search bar in the upper right. You can look at all previous woot offerings that match your search and get to the thread that way.

When I manage to enter a purchase into CT, it is accompanied by a link to the discussion in purchase notes.

I still want a search as functional as before the troubles.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:When I manage to enter a purchase into CT, it is accompanied by a link to the discussion in purchase notes.

I still want a search as functional as before the troubles.

Ditto.

And gotta love that each item on the order STILL ships separately. So 3 items on the order (Wellington, plus 2 separate Woot Plus offers) equal 3 shipping notifications.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
MarkDaSpark wrote:Ditto.

And gotta love that each item on the order STILL ships separately. So 3 items on the order (Wellington, plus 2 separate Woot Plus offers) equal 3 shipping notifications.

oh great more woot boxes laying around do you think we could sell them back to woot?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
tytiger58 wrote:oh great more woot boxes laying around do you think we could sell them back to woot?

I give my boxes and the packing materials to a local wine shop (after removing my identifying info from the shipping labels). They seem very happy to get them.