North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mommadeb1 wrote:Iron Horse question.... My neighbor has a bottle of 1994 (I think) could be 1996 of Iron Horse.. don't know what.. it has been kept in his fridge all this time..... what are the chances of this being good?

Within the last 5 months I have had both an '88 and a '89 Iron Horse Russian Cuvee, which likely had less than optimal storage conditions (I got them at a local super market). They were just fine and people loved them (though the aged sparkler just wasn't to my taste).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Less than 24 hours until my flight leaves for VEGAS! As a follow-up to a couple weeks ago, I passed up the early check-in option through Southwest, logged in and checked-in at the 24 hour till flight time, and am in Boarding group B positions 3 & 4. Glad I didn't waste the money on the early checkin.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Woot is really trying to kill us with a death of a thousand pinpricks.

So now they've stopped lowering the price because we are paying our own taxes. Nobody saw that coming...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:Iron Horse question.... My neighbor has a bottle of 1994 (I think) could be 1996 of Iron Horse.. don't know what.. it has been kept in his fridge all this time..... what are the chances of this being good?

Kitchen Fridge or Wine Fridge? Upright or on it's side?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:in his fridge? I'd say 15%, but I'd put its chances of being excellent somewhere around 99.99%

+1

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
mother wrote:Woot is really trying to kill us with a death of a thousand pinpricks.

So now they've stopped lowering the price because we are paying our own taxes. Nobody saw that coming...

True for the Victory, but I suspect in this case it's actually more of a woot-off thing. They almost always just recycle descriptions and listings from previously without really checking (e.g. the Wellington Syrah from earlier). I wouldn't be surprised if they just did that in this case without really thinking about it. That, and Peter has been up front that the 2007s are in high demand and he's raised prices on them.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Woot is really trying to kill us with a death of a thousand pinpricks.

It also depends if they are getting any of the shipping. They weren't getting any before with All Day shipping, and they may not be getting any now either.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:It also depends if they are getting any of the shipping. They weren't getting any before with All Day shipping, and they may not be getting any now either.

So we KNOW they weren't getting the $5 and had to pay the taxes when they last offered it for $74.99.

Now they at the very least don't have to pay the taxes, and possibly get the $5 for shipping.

The price should be lower to us getting Peter the exact same amount of money. Woot set the expectation that the offers would be lower priced because of the tax savings, now they are not meeting that.

Your point about the shipping means that this likely should be $10 cheaper, not $5 as I was expecting to see.

Do you really think Peter is getting paid more for these then last time?

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:So we KNOW they weren't getting the $5 and had to pay the taxes when they last offered it for $74.99.

Now they at the very least don't have to pay the taxes, and possibly get the $5 for shipping.

The price should be lower to us getting Peter the exact same amount of money. Woot set the expectation that the offers would be lower priced because of the tax savings, now they are not meeting that.

Your point about the shipping means that this likely should be $10 cheaper, not $5 as I was expecting to see.

Do you really think Peter is getting paid more for these then last time?

Actually yes, since he commented that he raised his prices in the thread(s). IIRC, he said he raised his price on the Syrah/Victory before the 94 rating. Don't remember which one (or both) it was that he said it on.

Edit: It was the Victory.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Actually yes, since he commented that he raised his prices in the thread(s). IIRC, he said he raised his price on the Syrah/Victory before the 94 rating. Don't remember which one (or both) it was that he said it on.

Edit: It was the Victory.

I believe he was referring to raising it for the previous $74.99 offer where we were all like 'Wind! Tornado! Hide!'...

I'm not questioning his pricing, I'm saying woot is doing it again...

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Kitchen Fridge or Wine Fridge? Upright or on it's side?

kitchen fridge, I think on its side

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mommadeb1 wrote:kitchen fridge, I think on its side

Side is less than ideal, but I'm sure its fine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Side is less than ideal, but I'm sure its fine.

we are planning on having it Friday night.... should I have him stand the bottle up?

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Within the last 5 months I have had both an '88 and a '89 Iron Horse Russian Cuvee, which likely had less than optimal storage conditions (I got them at a local super market). They were just fine and people loved them (though the aged sparkler just wasn't to my taste).

I think they were '98 and '99 but close enough to '96 that it should also be fine. I was truly impressed with that '98 Russian Cuvee. It was pretty yeasty but I found out that I like that. A lot.
Thanks again!

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Less than 24 hours until my flight leaves for VEGAS! As a follow-up to a couple weeks ago, I passed up the early check-in option through Southwest, logged in and checked-in at the 24 hour till flight time, and am in Boarding group B positions 3 & 4. Glad I didn't waste the money on the early checkin.

Good deal, have fun hope you win some money and don't let the taxi cab drive the scenic route to your hotel!

chipgreen

The incremental negative changes at wine.woot (and woot in general) since Amazon bought them out are similar to what happened when I worked for MBNA and we got bought out by Bank of America. Little by little, they chipped away at everything that was good about the job until there was nothing left but bitterness and resentment. I suspect that WD has no choice but to play along with the changes.

I just hope things hold together long enough for a 2014 rpm tour. Anything beyond that will be gravy.

mommadeb1

chipgreen wrote:Good deal, have fun hope you win some money and don't let the taxi cab drive the scenic route to your hotel!

we always take one of the shuttles.. taxi line is too long...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
mother wrote:I believe he was referring to raising it for the previous $74.99 offer where we were all like 'Wind! Tornado! Hide!'...

I still don't quite understand...when I buy wine from other spots in CA and have it shipped to me, I haven't been charged tax. At woot, I am. Why?!?! So they send the tax back to my state, even though they are under no obligation to do so? And, woot was doing this before, it is just more "transparent" now?

My brain is having a hard time understanding this concept...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
bhodilee wrote:in his fridge? I'd say 15%, but I'd put its chances of being excellent somewhere around 99.99%

LIKE! Seriously. We just had a 1998 Russian Cuvée in Ohio last weekend and it was quite excellent!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

mother wrote:I believe he was referring to raising it for the previous $74.99 offer where we were all like 'Wind! Tornado! Hide!'...

Ooops!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:we are planning on having it Friday night.... should I have him stand the bottle up?

I'd do it just so anything that may settle settles so yeah

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:we are planning on having it Friday night.... should I have him stand the bottle up?

Yes, as bowtie said already. Any older wines should be upright for at least 24 hours prior to opening, to allow for sediment to settle.

And I believe IH uses cork, so on the side should be okay. Otherwise it can dry out the cork, and you lose the fizz.

Sparkling wine can be stored upright, but you need to watch that the cork doesn't dry up. I found an old Dom Perignon that my parents never opened that the cork has dried up, and you can see it's probably vinegar.

MarkDaSpark

The previous 3 Woot Monkeys are up ... 1 (Gray) on Woot and the other two on Kids (Green & Flame).

So you can use the Cart to get all three.

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:The previous 3 Woot Monkeys are up ... 1 (Gray) on Woot and the other two on Kids (Green & Flame).

So you can use the Cart to get all three.

Speaking of which. . . I kind of forgot to put away the woot monkeys when we had the guests over for our Shakespeare benefit dinner back in February. One of our guests decided to ask if I really liked monkeys because there were so many of them in the dining room! Ah, well.

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Don't forget to vote! Vassar-Warner Home
Currently at 131. I was able to vote thrice today!

Edit: 168

bhodilee

Guess the company:

Bowtie: Hi, I'm having a package delivered on Friday to my business address but we're going to be closed on Friday. Is there any chance I can get them to hold the package at the Omaha sort Location.

Company scarecrow: We can have them hold it in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Is there any chance they can hold it in Omaha because I live right by the facility and don't live or work anywhere near Lincoln.

Company scarecrow: No, based on the shipping location we can only hold it in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Is there a reason it can only be held in Lincoln? I'm sure the plane that it will be delivered by is landing in Omaha as Lincoln's airport won't support that kind of traffic.

Company scarecrow: let me look up the plane routing information. yes, the plane will be landing in Omaha and the package transferred to Lincoln.

Bowtie: Does the package go directly from the plane to a truck bound for Lincoln or does it go to the Omaha sort facility 6 blocks or less from my house, get sorted there and then put on a truck for Lincoln?

company scarecrow: It goes to the Omaha sorting facility and then put on a truck for Lincoln.

Bowtie: So you're telling me that there is NO WAY to stop the package in Omaha even though it's going to BE AT THE OMAHA LOCATION?

company scarecrow: No, we can only request it be held at the Lincoln facility.

Bowtie: Yes, this makes perfect nonsense.

company scarecrow: *trying to process what I said*, um, we can only hold it in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Is there by chance a manager I can speak with.

company scarecrow: yes

Company scarecrow 2: Hi, I'm company scarecrow 2 and I'm going to tell you exactly the same thing the first one told you but I'm going to pretend it has more authority and makes sense because I'm a manager (probably just the girl next to scarecrow 1).

Bowtie: So this package, it's going to be in Omaha anyway, you have the ability to hold it in Lincoln, but somehow lack the ability to hold it in Omaha. How is that even possible?

company scarecrow 2: gkgakdsor lgdkreignkzal flkfna;0394ut028vnklaf (rough translation, I don't speak scarecrow well)

Bowtie: *resigned sigh* You have to admit, this limitation is massively short sighted and borderline ignorant that you have the ability to make it a hold, but not the ability WHERE to hold it.

company scarecrow 2: I think our policy makes perfect sense.

Bowtie: *realizing you can't fight stupid* Just go ahead and try to deliver to the closed office on Friday and then deliver it Monday after it's sat in your warehouse all weekend (the one Ding Dong!ing weekend when Nebraska remembers, Oh Yellow Brick Road, Spring's more than half over!) and we'll hope for the best.

company scarecrow 2: Ok, I'll inform the Lincoln location that you don't want this held and want it delivered instead.

Bowtie: Why would you need to inform them that, I never authorized you to actually hold it, just that I'd like it held but your perfectly sensible policy does not allow you to hold it where it's going to be already.

company scarecrow 2: The first person you talked to already changed it to a hold in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Really, that's great. So you're going to have them cancel the hold and just deliver the package Monday right?

company scarecrow 2: Yes sir.

Bowtie: Grand, I'm quite excited to see how this works out. By the way, do you happen to know what your stocks are trading at currently?

company scarecrow 2: I wouldn't know, why?

Bowtie: because I can't believe with such a shortsighted and quite frankly, ignorant system your company stays in business, much less profits. A shipping company that can't control a package's movement at every step just seems, well honestly it seems impossible. However, I know you didn't draft the policy and have to abide by it so I apologize for venting any frustration your way. I do thank you for helping in any way that you can and appreciate you taking time out of your day to try to accomodate my request (I figured I better kiss some ass or my wine was NEVAH making it anywhere, much less delivery to Lincoln)

company scarecrow 2: *silence* (I seriously thought she hung up on me, and it wouldn't be the first time a CSR did so) Thank you for calling scarecrowic Shipping Company, have a nice day.

Bowtie: I plan to, knowing that your company is making packages safe worldwide makes me believe in a brighter future. (at which point I did get hung up on)

Now, Guess that shipping company!

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
bhodilee wrote:Guess the company:

Bowtie: Hi, I'm having a package delivered on Friday to my business address but we're going to be closed on Friday. Is there any chance I can get them to hold the package at the Omaha sort Location.

Company scarecrow: We can have them hold it in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Is there any chance they can hold it in Omaha because I live right by the facility and don't live or work anywhere near Lincoln.

Company scarecrow: No, based on the shipping location we can only hold it in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Is there a reason it can only be held in Lincoln? I'm sure the plane that it will be delivered by is landing in Omaha as Lincoln's airport won't support that kind of traffic.

Company scarecrow: let me look up the plane routing information. yes, the plane will be landing in Omaha and the package transferred to Lincoln.

Bowtie: Does the package go directly from the plane to a truck bound for Lincoln or does it go to the Omaha sort facility 6 blocks or less from my house, get sorted there and then put on a truck for Lincoln?

company scarecrow: It goes to the Omaha sorting facility and then put on a truck for Lincoln.

Bowtie: So you're telling me that there is NO WAY to stop the package in Omaha even though it's going to BE AT THE OMAHA LOCATION?

company scarecrow: No, we can only request it be held at the Lincoln facility.

Bowtie: Yes, this makes perfect nonsense.

company scarecrow: *trying to process what I said*, um, we can only hold it in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Is there by chance a manager I can speak with.

company scarecrow: yes

Company scarecrow 2: Hi, I'm company scarecrow 2 and I'm going to tell you exactly the same thing the first one told you but I'm going to pretend it has more authority and makes sense because I'm a manager (probably just the girl next to scarecrow 1).

Bowtie: So this package, it's going to be in Omaha anyway, you have the ability to hold it in Lincoln, but somehow lack the ability to hold it in Omaha. How is that even possible?

company scarecrow 2: gkgakdsor lgdkreignkzal flkfna;0394ut028vnklaf (rough translation, I don't speak scarecrow well)

Bowtie: *resigned sigh* You have to admit, this limitation is massively short sighted and borderline ignorant that you have the ability to make it a hold, but not the ability WHERE to hold it.

company scarecrow 2: I think our policy makes perfect sense.

Bowtie: *realizing you can't fight stupid* Just go ahead and try to deliver to the closed office on Friday and then deliver it Monday after it's sat in your warehouse all weekend (the one Ding Dong!ing weekend when Nebraska remembers, Oh Yellow Brick Road, Spring's more than half over!) and we'll hope for the best.

company scarecrow 2: Ok, I'll inform the Lincoln location that you don't want this held and want it delivered instead.

Bowtie: Why would you need to inform them that, I never authorized you to actually hold it, just that I'd like it held but your perfectly sensible policy does not allow you to hold it where it's going to be already.

company scarecrow 2: The first person you talked to already changed it to a hold in Lincoln.

Bowtie: Really, that's great. So you're going to have them cancel the hold and just deliver the package Monday right?

company scarecrow 2: Yes sir.

Bowtie: Grand, I'm quite excited to see how this works out. By the way, do you happen to know what your stocks are trading at currently?

company scarecrow 2: I wouldn't know, why?

Bowtie: because I can't believe with such a shortsighted and quite frankly, ignorant system your company stays in business, much less profits. A shipping company that can't control a package's movement at every step just seems, well honestly it seems impossible. However, I know you didn't draft the policy and have to abide by it so I apologize for venting any frustration your way. I do thank you for helping in any way that you can and appreciate you taking time out of your day to try to accomodate my request (I figured I better kiss some ass or my wine was NEVAH making it anywhere, much less delivery to Lincoln)

company scarecrow 2: *silence* (I seriously thought she hung up on me, and it wouldn't be the first time a CSR did so) Thank you for calling scarecrowic Shipping Company, have a nice day.

Bowtie: I plan to, knowing that your company is making packages safe worldwide makes me believe in a brighter future. (at which point I did get hung up on)

Now, Guess that shipping company!

This is ups all the way.

CT

mother

cortot20 wrote:This is ups all the way.

Well the stock thing was the hint to eliminate USPS.

Frankly this level of asshattery could equally be FedUp, UPS, or USPS...

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
chipgreen wrote:The incremental negative changes at wine.woot (and woot in general) since Amazon bought them out are similar to what happened when I worked for MBNA and we got bought out by Bank of America. Little by little, they chipped away at everything that was good about the job until there was nothing left but bitterness and resentment. I suspect that WD has no choice but to play along with the changes.

I just hope things hold together long enough for a 2014 rpm tour. Anything beyond that will be gravy.

Lets also remember that WD, George, and Neil are subcontractors to Woot that run their own business. If things with woot get bad enough that profitability sinks, they can always find/create another outlet for their goods that leaves them with a larger slice of the pie. Just as long as there is a forum and community and winemakers sharing with us.

We will still of course have to deal with the slightly porter deals than WWs heyday due to the wine business going much better these days.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

mother wrote:Well the stock thing was the hint to eliminate USPS.

I actually have no problem doing exactly this with USPS. I even mentioned USPS, which loses billions, can somehow make this happen, but scarecrowic Shipping Company can't?

mother

bhodilee wrote:I actually have no problem doing exactly this with USPS. I even mentioned USPS, which loses billions, can somehow make this happen, but scarecrowic Shipping Company can't?

Last time I shipped a package via USPS (as an attempt to throw revenue that way) it was from CT -> WA (Seattle). They routed the package overland via JAX. It took 2 weeks to arrive when it was supposed to be a 5 day journey. I'm back to the F/UPS now ;)

bhodilee

mother wrote:Last time I shipped a package via USPS (as an attempt to throw revenue that way) it was from CT -> WA (Seattle). They routed the package overland via JAX. It took 2 weeks to arrive when it was supposed to be a 5 day journey. I'm back to the F/UPS now ;)

Mother, it's a government institution, you can't expect logic or efficiency.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Is Corison too popular for Woot now? I haven't seen anything from them in a while, and I've been waiting.

bhodilee

loveladyelectric wrote:Is Corison too popular for Woot now? I haven't seen anything from them in a while, and I've been waiting.

If you were Cathy and could sell at retail with NO problems, would you sell at a discount? Basically, yeah, she's too cool for woot and bless her for it.

bhodilee

Shipping fiasco: So the lady in Lincoln called me to tell me that my package would not be able to be picked up today because it's not scheduled for delivery until tomorrow. I laughed and told her the story and she said hold on. After a minute she gets back on the phone and says, what we're gonna do is have them ship it here Friday, then we're going to turn around and send it back on the truck to Omaha with a pick up there for Saturday. So I'll get my wine on Saturday instead of Friday and reinforces why you deal with local people whenever possible.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
mother wrote:Well the stock thing was the hint to eliminate USPS.

Had an unexpected incoming shipment a month or so ago from a wine club. The business address they had on file is for the company we recently shut down and moved, what was left, to another location. I originally gave them that address as they shipped, I don't recall, either UPS or GSO (Golden State Overnight) and didn't, at the time, have such a good relationship with the local FedEx Office location that is now my default for almost everything.

So, I get this call, on my cell, from the driver, not initially identifying the delivery company, inquiring how I'd like to deal with box he had going to a location he personally knew we were no longer occupying, did I want him to deliver it there anyway?.
Stunned pause on my part...
Recalling we know the new company that moved in, and that they do call us when something for us still makes it there, I pondered; wine, I think not.
Well, what are my options I asked? I was given the tracking number, informed it was FedEx, (things now making much more sense) and the suggestion to have it held.

FedEx. Simple, go online, enter tracking number, select location, request hold; done.
Not quite. Looking online MY location wasn't an option among the twenty or so offered. It seems this one came through a distribution center that doesn't quite service my desired location.

I, sigh, called FedEx. The first call went rather like Bowtie's, so I aborted to reconsider. Called again, asked for a super at the sort facility, was transferred, and she was just that Super. Totally understood the issue without my having to go through the entire litany. Realized and understood their internal processes, told me how she could transfer it to the sort facility serving MY location, explained it would take an extra day, which would then move it to the weekend and delivery would be on Monday.

Now here's where it got really good. She said she could do paperwork, required for alcohol, for a direct transfer to MY location if they would accept it. Read here she would hand carry the box to the FedEx Office location I use, [i]on her way home![/] I mentioned I thought it likely MY office would have no problem, paperwork or no, accepting the shipment.

Turns out I was correct on the paperwork, she called MY office, they agreed none needed, she then hand carried, yes, on her way home, and I picked up on my way home, Friday.

THIS is why I share my shipments with MY FedEx Office staff.
They now accept USPS, that "smartmail" carp, UPS, GSO; nearly anything I throw at them.

FedEx, for me, absolutely rocks.

Much better outcome than I just had with a leaky coffee travel mug that just dripped all over my light colored shirt. Would I normally care, no, folks here know I'm a slob, but I've got a meeting to attend at 10:00. Great day this is working out to be.

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

Have we ever had a woot-off (on 5 sites) all stop before midday before?

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:Have we ever had a woot-off (on 5 sites) all stop before midday before?

Wasn't there an interruption sometime in 2011? And then it started up again, but that was only when it was Woot for Woot-Offs, with a side track for Wine?

But what you talking about Willis? It ended last night.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
cheron98 wrote:You bastard

Did I say a Corison vertical when you visited? I meant a Kronos vertical...

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Did I say a Corison vertical when you visited? I meant a Kronos vertical...

You need the Evil Laugh image for that ...

Edit: IFTFY