WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you cook with wine?
  • 65.4% - Yes, and if you’re lucky, I’ll post my favorite dish in the comments 517
  • 34.6% - No, I only drink wine 274
791 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

The classics:

Coq Au Vin
Beef Bourguignon

Sometimes I'll have Penne Ala Vodka, minus the penne.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

All the time! Sometimes, it even finds its way into the food.

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte

I don't cook with wine, but I do cook with beer.

beer.woot beer.woot beer.woot

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 59 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 169

Psst... wanna see my badges?

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

Wine - Lasagna
Beer - Chili
Whiskey - Ribs

It depends on what I'm cooking.

sunnyx0r

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r

I have a few soups and sauces that get cooked with wine, plus risotto. Then there's a cheese fondue I make with hard cider. Delicious.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7
tdedek wrote:All the time! Sometimes, it even finds its way into the food.

+1

tdedek

sunnyx0r wrote:I have a few soups and sauces that get cooked with wine, plus risotto. Then there's a cheese fondue I make with hard cider. Delicious.

Do tell about the fondue w/ cider...sounds interesting! I normally prepare with wine(s) and a little liquor (brandy, kirsch). Would be interested to try it out!

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
tdedek wrote:All the time! Sometimes, it even finds its way into the food.

What was said here.

CT

sunnyx0r

tdedek wrote:Do tell about the fondue w/ cider...sounds interesting! I normally prepare with wine(s) and a little liquor (brandy, kirsch). Would be interested to try it out!

I'd love to! Here's my recipe:

Ingredients

1 (12-ounce) bottle hard cider
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 pound Fontina, grated
1/2 pound sharp yellow cheddar, grated
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt (to taste)

Fondue Dippers:

Cooked mini sausages, sliced baguette, roasted shallots, roasted mushrooms, apples, and pretzels.

Directions

Heat cider, broth, Worcestershire, and garlic in a fondue pot over medium-high heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Toss the cheeses together in a medium bowl. Sift the corn starch over the cheese, and toss to coat lightly.

Turn the fondue pot down to medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, sprinkle some cheese mixture into the warm liquid and continue to stir in small amounts of cheese until it is all incorporated and the fondue is smooth and melted, about 15 minutes. Stir in cayenne and salt.

Serve with desired dippers.

This is adapted from a recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cheddar-and-hard-cider-fondue-recipe/index.html

tdedek

sunnyx0r wrote:I'd love to! Here's my recipe:

Thanks Sunny, will be trying this one out the next time we sit down to break bread...with cheese.

sunnyx0r

tdedek wrote:Thanks Sunny, will be trying this one out the next time we sit down to break bread...with cheese.

I hope you enjoy it! "With cheese" is the best way to do pretty much anything.

tdedek

sunnyx0r wrote:I hope you enjoy it! "With cheese" is the best way to do pretty much anything.

My Grandmother once gave my wife a recipe for her DELICIOUS Hominy Casserole. K made it to her specs, but it just didn't taste the same. When we asked G-Ma about it, she matter of factly asked - "Did you double the cheese?" The answer was "No, we were following your directions." She let out a huff and went on and on about ALWAYS doubling the cheese. She had similar views on butter and was a very big proponent for the use of bacon fat in any feasible scenario. She knew what was up, that's for sure.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I cook with cooking wine and drink the drinking wine. Mostly braised spareribs and coq au vin...I need to make coq au vin tonight!

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon

If you're not de-glazing your pans with some sort of spirit, your missing out on some great flavor. Water works to get the fond of the pan, but its just not the same...

omida

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omida

Meritage grenache is the best cooking wine, IMHO. Here's my epic cottage pie:

- 1/2 lb kidney beans, soaked overnight in *salted* water. cooked with salt and baking soda (to slow osmosis and prevent splitting beans).

- 1 lb ground sirloin seriously browned ('til no steam escapes), fat strained, set aside

- 1 lb mirepoix (med onion, 1 stalks carrot, celery) significantly sweated with star anise.

- chopped serrano peppers (seeded) to taste

- 2 oz tomato paste sweated and tossed with mirepoix.

- half a 750ml bottle red, reduced til syrupy, equal parts beef broth (to taste), couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce (to taste).

- add dark chocolate, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and other chilis 'til the desired texture and spice is achieved.

- recombine ingredients and cook til flavors meld.

flashdark

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flashdark

I have a go-to "recipe" for when I neither want to do a lot of cooking nor resort to takeout:

- meat and/or veggies
- wine (red for red meat or mushrooms, white for poultry, seafood or greens)
- olive oil
- crushed garlic

It all goes into a frying pan and gets sauteed, seared or reduced as the case may be until it's edible. Also works with rice wine, soy sauce, ginger & sesame oil if I'm in the mood for Asianish rather than Italianish.

ninjapineapples

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjapineapples

One of my personal favorites is a white wine clam sauce. Absolutely delicious! Need to get the smallest little-necks you can find and it is to die for!

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

Might look at your cooking wine. Most of them have a bunch of salt in them. Try cooking with drinking wine......

ambergreen wrote:I cook with cooking wine and drink the drinking wine. Mostly braised spareribs and coq au vin...I need to make coq au vin tonight!