Meritage grenache is the best cooking wine, IMHO. Here's my epic cottage pie:
- 1/2 lb kidney beans, soaked overnight in *salted* water. cooked with salt and baking soda (to slow osmosis and prevent splitting beans).
- 1 lb ground sirloin seriously browned ('til no steam escapes), fat strained, set aside
- 1 lb mirepoix (med onion, 1 stalks carrot, celery) significantly sweated with star anise.
- chopped serrano peppers (seeded) to taste
- 2 oz tomato paste sweated and tossed with mirepoix.
- half a 750ml bottle red, reduced til syrupy, equal parts beef broth (to taste), couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce (to taste).
- add dark chocolate, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and other chilis 'til the desired texture and spice is achieved.
- recombine ingredients and cook til flavors meld.