quality posts: 1592 Private Messages Cesare

Chance Creek Mendocino Sauvignon Blanc 6-Pack
$64.99 $̶1̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2010 Chance Creek Redwood Valley Sauvignon Blanc, Mendocino County
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

2010 Chance Creek Sauvignon Blanc, Redwood Valley

PnP @ 56F, pretty difficult for me to coax much nose at this temperature.
Clear pale straw with a hint of green, rapidly forming thin legs.
Low to moderate aroma of grapefruit with hints of tropical fruit and grass. Tart entry, remaining tart on the palate through the medium finish, with perhaps the slightest touch of some bitterness.

Pretty limited selection of foodstuffs, so this got paired this with pork shabu-shabu; not the greatest match, but a pretty typical summer supper here, it got into the high 80's today, and the other options were far worse.

Tasting later with neutral crackers and allowing this to warm to 64~66 enhanced the floral-tropical aspects considerably, while the citrus notes were diminished.
Still tart on entry, the mid-palate rounds out considerably. I think the minimal Viognier is really showing up now and adding some nice complexity. Also getting a bit of butter now, not a lot, but that and oak are also coming thru while the acidity seems diminished as well.

Overall, not sure exactly what to make of this. Most certainly not a grapefruit or grass bomb I find difficult to tolerate, but lacking the crispness of the 2009 Twenty Rows SB some here may be familiar with that I opened for comparison. Overall a it presents as a well made if not exactly main-stream Sauvignon Blanc with it's own uniqueness enhanced by the Vio.

Capped with Ar and will continue with more appropriate nom's tomorrow.

[edit] And now that I see it's up at under $11/btl, a very nice QPR, as I'd put this in the over $15 range.
[edit-2] Absolutely did not expect to see a pH of 3!

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

4/20/2013 Tasted over dinner with my son Dr. Toots by my side in his high chair. (yes he's a gassy fella at 8 months old.)

Opened at 4:30 and poured 1/2 into a 375 for tomorrow. at 7pm I had a glass with dinner. Clear, light muted yellow. Nose was initially muted with some green apple and wet stone. As it warmed more citrus and pineapple came through as well. On the tongue it has a nice slightly rounded feel which I am sure is from a small amount of oak that was used and it still remains very light. Finish is medium and has a slightly sour note. I had a 2nd glass at 9pm through the vinturi and it was even more muted than the first glass so the vinturi didn't appear to help in the least bit.

Not the overly acidic citrus bombs of the NZ variety but enough fruit and acidity to hold its own against light fare. I would call this is a definite food wine but it will get drowned out by heavier and spicier dishes so appetizers and light fare only. I had kung pao chicken with rice and it didn't have enough acid to cut through the heat. Not sure what the retail price is on this is as I could find very little info online. I would recommend it in the mid to low teens, I think once you get beyond that its got some pretty stiff competition.

My wife drinks lots more white than I do, she was out for the night so I'll have to get her feedback tomorrow night.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Scott Harvey was kind enough to present this wine as we kicked off our after-dinner tasting party in Wooster, OH last night. Made by Scott's friend, winemaker Lou Bock, it's a crowd pleaser that bridges the gap between old and new world - highlighting the best of both winemaking styles.

Lemon, grapefruit and citrus on the palate with a touch of grassiness.
Crisp minerality and enough acid to carry the fruit through the semi-tart, medium finish. This one should be popular on patios this summer.

Not sure if I want all 6 but I am definitely up for a split...

cortot20

BTW
The bottle shows an ABV of 13.5% not 14.1%

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:BTW

Yes, I had intended to mention that as well...
I believe it does fall within allowable limits however, but what is it, really?

CT

chancecreeklou

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chancecreeklou
rjquillin wrote:2010 Chance Creek Sauvignon Blanc, Redwood Valley

PnP @ 56F, pretty difficult for me to coax much nose at this temperature.
Clear pale straw with a hint of green, rapid forming thin legs.
Low to moderate aroma of grapefruit with hints of tropical fruit and grass. Tart entry, remaining tart on the palate through the medium finish, with perhaps the slightest touch of some bitterness.

Pretty limited selection of foodstuffs, so this got paired this with pork shabu-shabu; not the greatest match, but a pretty typical summer supper here, it got into the high 80's today, and the other options were far worse.

Tasting with neutral crackers and allowing this to warm to 64~66 enhanced the floral-tropical aspects considerably, while the citrus notes were diminished.
Still tart on entry, the mid-palate rounds out considerably. I think the minimal Viognier is really showing up now and adding some nice complexity. Also getting a bit of butter now, not a lot, but that and oak are also coming thru while the acidity seems diminished as well.

Overall, not sure exactly what to make of this. Most certainly not a grapefruit or grass bomb I find difficult to tolerate, but lacking the crispness of the 2009 Twenty Rows SB some here may be familiar with that I opened for comparison. Overall a it presents as a well made if not exactly main-stream Sauvignon Blanc with it's own uniqueness enhanced by the Vio.

Capped with Ar and will continue with more appropriate nom's tomorrow.

[edit] And now that I see it's up at under $11/btl, a very nice QPR, as I'd put this in the over $15 range.
[edit-2] Absolutely did not expect to see a pH of 3!

chancecreeklou

chancecreeklou wrote:

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I opened a bottle of 2010 Chance Creek SB with a few foods tonight and thought about the acidity, I had a filet of salmon with garlic and cilantro broiled, and a roasted red bell pepper and broccoli with sauteed tiny slices of Jalapeno tossed in with linguini as a side. The acidity stood the test for me. The pepper touch balanced well with the brightness of the wine. Overall a nice meal with the wine. I will check in later and answer questions. I believe this wine will favor many foods. Chance Crk Lou

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:BTW

ABV changed to 13.5% in the specs.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I like this wine a lot. Lou is a long term good friend of mine and I have produced wine from this vineyard a number of times. WineDrew brought over a bottle last week and between Drew, Jana and our niece we finished the bottle off rather quickly while enjoying the warm spring sunshine on our porch. I liked it so much that I called Lou up and ordered a case. I like the wine because it is a good well made Sauvignon Blanc in the Sancerre style. Not over the top, just nice balanced wine that tells the story of place and variety.
Probably, one of the most interesting wines I made from this vineyard was a wine I bottled as La Loubricant back in the 80's for Santino Winery. It was one of those wet harvest and a good part of the vineyard developed botrytis, the famous mold that produces the great Sauternes for France. Being used to dealing with botrytis in Germany I produced a Sauterne/Trockenbeerenauslese style wine. I named the wine after Lou as La Lou-bricant since it was such a lubricating wine. Needless to say, I think Lou was a little embarrassed with the name.

ScottHarveyWines

Lou is the only person I know who successfully shut down the San Francisco International airport. Maybe he'll share the story with us. When you read about the vineyard on the wine spec section, Lou mentioned his organically farmed vineyard uses sheep to keep the grass down. It's an interesting story on what these sheep have to do with shutting down the airport.

chancecreeklou

rjquillin wrote:Yes, I had intended to mention that as well...
I believe it does fall within allowable limits however, but what is it, really?

chancecreeklou

chancecreeklou wrote:

good morning, Chance Creek here... it is 13.5 alcohol. I had my office fill in the tasting notes particular and missed that they used the previous vintages level. the rest of the notes are correct.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2010 chance creek Sauv blanc
Context: SB is my favorite varietal but I've only had experience with CA and NZ versions. My preference is the likes of Twenty Rows and LMR WW has offered in the past.

Saturday, 11AM in Los Angeles, 80 degrees outside! 

Pop n pour  from fridge:
Color: clear pale yellow
Nose: muted since a bit cold but wife says smells clean and fresh....

after swirling I'm getting some pineapple, stone fruit, some slight lavender? I get some popcorn there...buttered one from the microwave...slight though
Spring flowers according to wife

Taste: slight viscousness feel on the tongue,, a bit of heat but not in a bad way, sour lemons....nice acidity...Wife likes it. 

Not your typical CA tropical fruit Sauv nor a NZ grassy Sauv....something in the middle? Very crisp and enjoyable. NO RS I assume and no perceived sweetness either...which is my style. The back label says a splash of viogner added which had me a bit worried about sweetness. None there....

11:15 close to room temperature...getting more fruit but not strong aRomatic wine...does not jump out at me like typical Viogners so I suspect less than 5% is added to the blend.

Wine has nice medium legs which makes sense since label says it spent some time in oak barrels...no oakiness to speak of but Im sure the viscosity is due to the oak....very nice mouthfeel...not cloying or heavy on the palate

Taste: heat all gone...not sour but tangy...very citrusy grapefruit...not red but yellow

Mouthfeel: reminds me of the Dusani  Pinot grigio i had previously from WW crossed with a crisp, Sauv blanc...

Wife: smells like.when we are driving in wine country with windows rolled down
Smooth finish...acidity is balanced...wife guesses winery price of $25 b/c organic and willing to pay $15.

Compared to other SB we've had she gave it a 7/10. 

Note: we opened a buttonwood 2010 Sauv blance signature blend (alc 14.7% and 91 SB and 11 semillon) that was $12 msrp and paid $9 club member. Wife tasted side by side and preferred chance creek. She also guessed 18/bottle for the buttonwood...just so you know where she is coming from

3PM both of us finished bottle while kids played in the water. Wife loves the crispness and wants more. I like it but not as much as her, a bit too citrusy for my liking (I favor tropical notes in SB) but can tell a well-made wine.

Verdict: very enjoyable and would definitely be in if the price is right. I would guess $16 winery price..so $12 delivered is what would make me pull the trigger

Sorry if review disjointed at Ike's it is very difficult for me to cut and paste on ths iPad thing.

"The older I get the better I was"

chancecreeklou

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Lou is the only person I know who successfully shut down the San Francisco International airport. Maybe he'll share the story with us. When you read about the vineyard on the wine spec section, Lou mentioned his organically farmed vineyard uses sheep to keep the grass down. It's an interesting story on what these sheep have to do with shutting down the airport.

thanks Scott, It was the San Jose airport, and I dont reccomend fogetting you have a pistol (for coyotes ravaging my sheep) in your back pack and not checking it in. AS I was putting on my boots after getting through the security I heard the loudspeaker say, "officer, can you come over here, and I remembered that I had not seen the pistol for quite some time... It had filtered its way to the bottom of my clothes" I had a lot of explaining and spent time in court with quite a few folks with orange jumpsuits... Finally got the DAs attention with my third attorney who got their respect by demanding a trial...After a fine and community service, I got my pistol back, and I had a number of letters written in my behalf, one of which started with "I have known Lou for 30 years and I can attest that he is a "straight shooter", geeez, what a challenge overall with friends like that...

chancecreeklou

losthighwayz wrote:2010 chance creek Sauv blanc
Context: SB is my favorite varietal but I've only had experience with CA and NZ versions. My preference is the likes of Twenty Rows and LMR WW has offered in the past.

Saturday, 11AM in Los Angeles, 80 degrees outside! 

Pop n pour  from fridge:
Color: clear pale yellow
Nose: muted since a bit cold but wife says smells clean and fresh....

after swirling I'm getting some pineapple, stone fruit, some slight lavender? I get some popcorn there...buttered one from the microwave...slight though
Spring flowers according to wife

Taste: slight viscousness feel on the tongue,, a bit of heat but not in a bad way, sour lemons....nice acidity...Wife likes it. 

Not your typical CA tropical fruit Sauv nor a NZ grassy Sauv....something in the middle? Very crisp and enjoyable. NO RS I assume and no perceived sweetness either...which is my style. The back label says a splash of viogner added which had me a bit worried about sweetness. None there....

11:15 close to room temperature...getting more fruit but not strong aRomatic wine...does not jump out at me like typical Viogners so I suspect less than 5% is added to the blend.

Wine has nice medium legs which makes sense since label says it spent some time in oak barrels...no oakiness to speak of but Im sure the viscosity is due to the oak....very nice mouthfeel...not cloying or heavy on the palate

Taste: heat all gone...not sour but tangy...very citrusy grapefruit...not red but yellow

Mouthfeel: reminds me of the Dusani  Pinot grigio i had previously from WW crossed with a crisp, Sauv blanc...

Wife: smells like.when we are driving in wine country with windows rolled down
Smooth finish...acidity is balanced...wife guesses winery price of $25 b/c organic and willing to pay $15.

Compared to other SB we've had she gave it a 7/10. 

Note: we opened a buttonwood 2010 Sauv blance signature blend (alc 14.7% and 91 SB and 11 semillon) that was $12 msrp and paid $9 club member. Wife tasted side by side and preferred chance creek. She also guessed 18/bottle for the buttonwood...just so you know where she is coming from

3PM both of us finished bottle while kids played in the water. Wife loves the crispness and wants more. I like it but not as much as her, a bit too citrusy for my liking (I favor tropical notes in SB) but can tell a well-made wine.

Verdict: very enjoyable and would definitely be in if the price is right. I would guess $16 winery price..so $12 delivered is what would make me pull the trigger

Sorry if review disjointed at Ike's it is very difficult for me to cut and paste on ths iPad thing.

thanks for the nice review, I have to go jump on the tractor now and try to get the disking done in the vineyard before it gets too late. Back in a few hours. 2013 looks like a lot of buds and decent fruit clusters popping out. Hope flowering goes well.

losthighwayz

Good morning Lou. Thanks for jumping on the boards. Two questions: what effect does a PH 3 have on this wine? Case production? Thanks!

chancecreeklou

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I like this wine a lot. Lou is a long term good friend of mine and I have produced wine from this vineyard a number of times. WineDrew brought over a bottle last week and between Drew, Jana and our niece we finished the bottle off rather quickly while enjoying the warm spring sunshine on our porch. I liked it so much that I called Lou up and ordered a case. I like the wine because it is a good well made Sauvignon Blanc in the Sancerre style. Not over the top, just nice balanced wine that tells the story of place and variety.
Probably, one of the most interesting wines I made from this vineyard was a wine I bottled as La Loubricant back in the 80's for Santino Winery. It was one of those wet harvest and a good part of the vineyard developed botrytis, the famous mold that produces the great Sauternes for France. Being used to dealing with botrytis in Germany I produced a Sauterne/Trockenbeerenauslese style wine. I named the wine after Lou as La Lou-bricant since it was such a lubricating wine. Needless to say, I think Lou was a little embarrassed with the name.

I should note that I am a wine distributor and we sold Scotts wines then in Northern CA. He did not tell me he was doing this and I had a lot of explaining to do with the sales reps when it came into the warehouse. Customers compared it to a top Sauterne. Good job Scott...Do the new winery owners own that name now? Can it be retired?

ScottHarveyWines

chancecreeklou wrote:I should note that I am a wine distributor and we sold Scotts wines then in Northern CA. He did not tell me he was doing this and I had a lot of explaining to do with the sales reps when it came into the warehouse. Customers compared it to a top Sauterne. Good job Scott...Do the new winery owners own that name now? Can it be retired?

It was never trade marked and a long time ago. Has been out of use so long that, I don't thing there is a claim on it.

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

We sampled this with Scott in Wooster on Friday...

Looks rather light, perhaps a hint of sweetness when you first take a whiff. Aromas of citrus - pineapple perhaps?

First sip - wow, this is dryer than expected, but delicious. Extremely crisp and clean. A great take on Sauvignon Blanc to this palette.

Seems like it would pair exceptionally well with grilled, pan-seared, or roasted chicken and vegetables.

At this price point, it's got a solid QPR, in my opinion.

--------------------------

I'm in for six, though we may split that in half with a friend.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

I was with the crew in Wooster Friday night when we tasted this wine. It had a really nice nose-a little bit citrusy with a nice crispness. Very light in color. On the palate, a little tart, citrusy with a hint of butteriness. There was also a hint of apple with a nice, long finish. It seems like this wine will be perfect for a hot summer night on the porch or on Shakespeare Hill. Great QPR.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chancecreeklou

losthighwayz wrote:Good morning Lou. Thanks for jumping on the boards. Two questions: what effect does a PH 3 have on this wine? Case production? Thanks!

Low PH means High acid and longevity but difficulty in putting through malolactic (secondary fermentation) and we did about 1700 cases total.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:Good morning Lou. Thanks for jumping on the boards. Two questions: what effect does a PH 3 have on this wine? Case production? Thanks!

You in? Sounds like it's right up your alley.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chancecreeklou

thanks Wooters, Now I have to get on my horse and head back to Monterey Bay area. this has been fun, I will check in later this afternoon and answer questions. ChanceCrkLou

losthighwayz

kylemittskus wrote:You in? Sounds like it's right up your alley.

Yes, even if I did not want to wife wants it. I placed order in my cart while I lurk other sites...

Edit: on a serious note, I would be in even if better half hadnt twisted my arm. I enjoyed it that much. Well-made wine with a great QPR.

cortot20

losthighwayz wrote:Yes, even if I did not want to wife wants it. I placed orde in my cart while I lurk other sites...

I may be in on this later. The mom of dr. toots needs to try it today.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I was part of the Wooster group as well. Not being a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc, I was a little skeptical to try this, but was pleasantly surprised. Not being firmly in the California or NZ styles was definitely a plus for me, though I wouldn't quite put this in the Sancerre corner either.

I got lots of lemon and citrus from this, and what I perceived as a decent amount of minerality, though thinking back to what Clark Smith said about his Chardonnay, this may just be the affect of the acidity on the back of the tongue (and at 3, the acidity is there), that comes off as minerality rather than acidity. It was crisp and dry. By the time we got to it, it was near room temperature and I believe I would have preferred it slightly cooler.

With all of that being said, this is very solid QPR at this price. A few of us in Wooster discussed on the side what we thought this would go for and guessed a Woot price of about $15 per bottle and $17-18 after tax, so this is priced well.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:I may be in on this later. The mom of dr. toots needs to try it today.

Don't need six, but could take three.

CT

knoxbill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knoxbill

anyone else having trouble buying?...can't get it into my cart...click the "put in cart" button and it just sits there staring at me...rebooted, same result...any ideas?...

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:Don't need six, but could take three.

check your pm

rjquillin

fredrinaldi wrote:check your pm

replied

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Sorry to be so late with this. I had a chance to taste this Friday night with Scott Harvey et al. I'm not much of a Sauvignon Blanc fan, mostly because so many of them are either grassy or full of grapefruit aroma and flavor. This was neither, a bit of citrus on the nose, maybe some pineapple. On the palate a wonderful viscosity, and some of the lemony notes I found on the nose, with a smooth minerality on the back. In a blind taste, I could have been fooled into thinking it was a Sancerre. This was the nicest SB I've ever tasted. I really don't have room for it, but I'd be ordering anyway if bahwm hadn't beaten me to it. At this price, I'd call it (quoting WD) "a screaming deal."

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

knoxbill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knoxbill

ho hum...looks like woot has screwed up the famous list that blocked tennessee from the approved states...this happened once before... no way to tell if the winery doesn't want to sell to me, or if woot! is concerned for my immortal soul...oh, well, i saved a few bucks, and maybe next time i'll have better luck...

rjquillin

TN: day 2:

Another mid 80's day and I'm liking this more than yesterday.
It's not like I don't already have SB's, but this one seems like I'd appreciate having some around for awhile.
Not much additional to tell that's not been said, but a question I've not yet seen this asked or addressed.

It's an SB, 2010. Realistically, when properly cellared, when will this begin to significantly drop off? Given the profile and numbers, I'd think some time. Comments?

CT

chancecreeklou

rjquillin wrote:TN: day 2:

Another mid 80's day and I'm liking this more than yesterday.
It's not like I don't already have SB's, but this one seems like I'd appreciate having some around for awhile.
Not much additional to tell that's not been said, but a question I've not yet seen this asked or addressed.

It's an SB, 2010. Realistically, when properly cellared, when will this begin to significantly drop off? Given the profile and numbers, I'd think some time. Comments?

I recently had some 09 and it was full flavored and very tasty. I would say you have 2 more years anyway. As wines age the French just say "what kind of cheese goes well"...

chancecreeklou

knoxbill wrote:anyone else having trouble buying?...can't get it into my cart...click the "put in cart" button and it just sits there staring at me...rebooted, same result...any ideas?...

I sure hope you can work this out! Sorry about the problem, but if it is leagal we will find a way to ship to you. Please stay in touch. reach out to Scott Harvey. Thanks, Chance Crk Lou

rjquillin

knoxbill wrote:anyone else having trouble buying?...can't get it into my cart...click the "put in cart" button and it just sits there staring at me...rebooted, same result...any ideas?...

FF20 on a mac just now worked fine.

CT

cortot20

Mrs cortot liked it but not enough for 6 bottles of it. So it's a pass for us.

CT

losthighwayz

Speed to first woot: 1h 26m 5.443s
First sucker:easwager
Last wooter to woot:losthighwayz
Last purchase:a few seconds ago