WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Wineries That Start With The Letter B

B stands for buy! B stands for bottle! B stands for box, coming to your house! See where we're going with this? Yeah, we figured you would. We always said you were a smart one.

Quality Posts

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Still got 2 of the "Bighorn "Big boy" Cabs" at home, nice wine

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
fredrinaldi wrote:Still got 2 of the "Bighorn "Big boy" Cabs" at home, nice wine

What are you thinking on this one. I do like the large format bottles and breaking them out at a special event. CT remarks not too favorable on this one and shows average value at $15 per 750ml although wine searcher says $40 per 750ml. Got two of the 1.5ltr. bottles and one 3ltr. as well but haven't had any yet.

Cesare

quality posts: 1470 Private Messages Cesare

Wineries That Start With The Letter B

Bargetto Winery Reserve Merlot Mini-Vertical 2-Pack
$54.99 $̶9̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
2009 Reserve Merlot
2010 Reserve Merlot, Santa Cruz Mountains

Broc Cellars Dry Stack Grenache 3-Pack
$58.99 $̶1̶0̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2008 Dry Stack Grenache, Bennett Valley

Cumulus Estate Wines Block 50 Case of Aussie Reds
$99.99 $̶1̶5̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 34% off List Price
2011 Block 50 Shiraz Central Ranges, Australia
2011 Block 50 Cabernet Sauvignon, Central Ranges

Bighorn Cellars Broken Rock Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Liter
$99.99 $̶3̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 68% off List Price
2003 Broken Rock Vineyard 100% Cabernet Sauvignon 3 Liter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

beefytaco

quality posts: 6 Private Messages beefytaco
Cesare wrote:Wineries That Start With The Letter B

Bargetto Winery Reserve Merlot Mini-Vertical 2-Pack
$54.99 $̶9̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
2009 Reserve Merlot
2010 Reserve Merlot, Santa Cruz Mountains

Broc Cellars Dry Stack Grenache 3-Pack
$58.99 $̶1̶0̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2008 Dry Stack Grenache, Bennett Valley

Cumulus Estate Wines Block 50 Case of Aussie Reds
$99.99 $̶1̶5̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 34% off List Price
2011 Block 50 Shiraz Central Ranges, Australia
2011 Block 50 Cabernet Sauvignon, Central Ranges

Bighorn Cellars Broken Rock Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Liter
$99.99 $̶3̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 68% off List Price
2003 Broken Rock Vineyard 100% Cabernet Sauvignon 3 Liter

BROC!

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
beefytaco wrote:BROC!

I'll be bringing a bottle of BROC to the Scott & Jana Harvey winemaker's dinner this evening, so there should be some tasting notes over the next couple days as people make their way home from Wooster.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 163 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:I'll be bringing a bottle of BROC to the Scott & Jana Harvey winemaker's dinner this evening, so there should be some tasting notes over the next couple days as people make their way home from Wooster.

Wooters in Wooster; woo-hoo!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

Already missed the 3L?!?!? That was awfully fast....

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

chipgreen

neilfindswine wrote:Wooters in Wooster; woo-hoo!

Anagram, sweet!

chipgreen

jcarlton03 wrote:Already missed the 3L?!?!? That was awfully fast....

There must have only been 3 of them

bobrush12866

chipgreen wrote:There must have only been 3 of them

A woot plus deal for a week with only 3 bottles! That is total BS!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fredrinaldi
bobrush12866 wrote:A woot plus deal for a week with only 3 bottles! That is total BS!

I hope they were kidding about the 3, but it did go real fast, glad I have some at home.
Maybe they will add something new

lamcjunk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lamcjunk

Anyone had the Block 50 wines?

webdev511

quality posts: 35 Private Messages webdev511

2011? I almost feel like someone listened to Steve Martin from The Jerk

"Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff."

cortot20

quality posts: 110 Private Messages cortot20
webdev511 wrote:2011? I almost feel like someone listened to Steve Martin from The Jerk

"Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff."

Keep in mind their 6 months ahead. So its more like a 2010. Keep in mind most wines at this price point are going to be younger. Love the quote though and am now thinking I should rewatch the Jerk just for the kitten juggling.

CT

true559

quality posts: 22 Private Messages true559

Never met an Australian Shiraz I didn't like. Big bold reds just like I prefer. Going to have to give this one a shot.

chipgreen

Tasted 15-20 wines last night but made sure to get to this one soon after the dinner so I could take some mental notes before my palate was completely shot.

2008 Broc Cellars Grenache Dry Stack Vineyard.
I purchased this wine previously. PnP - strawberry/raspberry fruit up front,juicy and succulent but not over-ripe. Medium bodied and lightly oaked, with well integrated tannins that take over from the fruit in mid-palate, leading to a pleasant and longish finish. All the parts of this wine seem to be working in synergy right now. Glad I have 2 bottles left!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 163 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:Tasted 15-20 wines last night but made sure to get to this one soon after the dinner so I could take some mental notes before my palate was completely shot.

I purchased this wine previously. PnP - strawberry/raspberry fruit up front,juicy and succulent but not over-ripe. Medium bodied and lightly oaked, with well integrated tannins that take over from the fruit in mid-palate, leading to a pleasant and longish finish. All the parts of this wine seem to be working in synergy right now. Glad I have 2 bottles left!

I love that wine. Not trying to pick favorites, but...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

losthighwayz

quality posts: 54 Private Messages losthighwayz
chipgreen wrote:Tasted 15-20 wines last night but made sure to get to this one soon after the dinner so I could take some mental notes before my palate was completely shot.

I wonder why all other CT notes besides yours and Klez scored this very low....your thoughts? I'm a big fan of CA Grenache and interested in this offer but the notes worry me thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:I wonder why all other CT notes besides yours and Klez scored this very low....your thoughts? I'm a big fan of CA Grenache and interested in this offer but the notes worry me thanks!

I have no idea, but from reading the notes, I'd guess first taster liked it (89) and mentioned butterscotch and wheat (really weird note). The next two read that note before tasting since both mention the butterscotch and wheat. I think this because I have never read the note "wheat" in any wine. Champagne has biscuit, bread, yeast, etc. and some whites have the same (I used the note "shortbread cookie" recently). I have never heard of "wheat" before. And the fact it's used in 3 notes that immediately follow one another... seems like a case of suggestion. Very curious what others think.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

losthighwayz wrote:I wonder why all other CT notes besides yours and Klez scored this very low....your thoughts? I'm a big fan of CA Grenache and interested in this offer but the notes worry me thanks!

The less favorable notes were posted in 2011. Perhaps time in the bottle has helped to eliminate what they perceived to be negative characteristics. I have nothing bad to say about this wine, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only thing making me hesitate to buy more is that it seems like the wine is peaking right now and I'm not sure how soon I would get to them all with my already overflowing cellar.

EDIT: Also, I agree with Kyle that the 2nd and 3rd reviewers seemed to echo what the first reviewer said. That is very common in and of itself, I see that all the time in CT. But as Kyle points out, in this case the notes that they are echoing are unusual which does seem to indicate the power of suggestion played a role.

kylemittskus

Here's how helpful CT can be:

Very nice Vacqueyras. Medium bodied, garnet color, nice tannins, acids, fruit. Mildly engaging bouquet. Powerful enough to pair with medium intensity spices, cheeses, main courses. Musically: Violas, cellos, trumpets, trombones, distant horns and tympani. Not much low bass or high strings. An adagio passage down the middle.

Uh... love me some trombones in my wine.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I would agree mostly with these notes, but I sensed a little more than light oak and I found the tannins a little drying which tends to desensitize my palate from picking up much else in the wine. It just was not my cup of tea, but mostly just for stylistic reasons, nothing against the wine itself. At $20 per bottle I need a wine that makes me go back for that second glass, this just didn't do it for me, but I know others love it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Here's how helpful CT can be:

Uh... love me some trombones in my wine.

Do you find these, or do these just seem to find you?
Notes from known reviewers can be helpful, when they're lucky enough to appear.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58

I have enjoyed all of the Broc wines I have tried. And of course I drank all of mine rather quickly after receiving

IIRC there was all kinds of bitterness on the finish I did not like but it looks like in later reviews it was not noticed so maybe that fleshed out later.

But I remember liking the Mendocino more.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

beefytaco

tytiger58 wrote:I have enjoyed all of the Broc wines I have tried. And of course I drank all of mine rather quickly after receiving

IIRC there was all kinds of bitterness on the finish I did not like but it looks like in later reviews it was not noticed so maybe that fleshed out later.

I've been a fan of Broc for years now, but it was this past month that it really became an obsession. After a week in Napa, my palate was worn out. High extraction, high alc high prices, low acidity -- it was a bit of a bummer.
Before hopping on our plane back to NYC, we stopped by the Broc tasting room in Berkeley and were floored. Small room, unassuming, polite folks, fantastic wines. Wines with huge acidity, wines with terroir, wines with small price tags. They're food friendly, they're fun to drink, they've restored my faith in CA wine.
I've never had a woot "auto buy" but this is as close as it gets.

___
I have two accounts- this 'anonymous' username for commenting, as well as a 'purchasing' account which is my real name. Apologies for the white box on the left.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure- I'm ITB, selling wine for a living. None of my wines have ever been featured on Woot though, so don't fear the shilling.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Do you find these, or do these just seem to find you?
Notes from known reviewers can be helpful, when they're lucky enough to appear.

Here's another good excerpt:

The body was intriguing given the medium body and smooth texture (petrol-like - as if I've ever guzzled gasoline).

So you're comparing the wine's mouthfeel to something you've never actually had in your mouth? Makes perfect sense! My next tasting note is going to say, "meaty, kind of like unicorn meat."

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:I have enjoyed all of the Broc wines I have tried. And of course I drank all of mine rather quickly after receiving

I've got one Bennet Valley in the cooler and I think merbill has a Mendocino for me. Can't wait to try it, since I loved Eaglepoint Ranch's own label grenache.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

Gaahhhh....a large format red and its already gone!!! Woot...why do you taunt me so?

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:So you're comparing the wine's mouthfeel to something you've never actually had in your mouth? Makes perfect sense! My next tasting note is going to say, "meaty, kind of like unicorn meat."

Elitist!
Clearly he was never a teen, and low on both cash and gas.

CT

bobrush12866

beefytaco wrote:I've been a fan of Broc for years now, but it was this past month that it really became an obsession. After a week in Napa, my palate was worn out. High extraction, high alc high prices, low acidity -- it was a bit of a bummer.
Before hopping on our plane back to NYC, we stopped by the Broc tasting room in Berkeley and were floored. Small room, unassuming, polite folks, fantastic wines. Wines with huge acidity, wines with terroir, wines with small price tags. They're food friendly, they're fun to drink, they've restored my faith in CA wine.
I've never had a woot "auto buy" but this is as close as it gets.

Looks like you never had a wine woot buy period. However, you appear to be talking up this wine pretty well. A shilling for your thoughts?

trifecta

quality posts: 65 Private Messages trifecta
bobrush12866 wrote:Looks like you never had a wine woot buy period. However, you appear to be talking up this wine pretty well. A shilling for your thoughts?

It is possible that account is only for posting and another is used for buying. Some take this approach.

kylemittskus

bobrush12866 wrote:Looks like you never had a wine woot buy period. However, you appear to be talking up this wine pretty well. A shilling for your thoughts?

He's not a shill. He's actually quite an active wooter (he started the "what are ya drinking tonight" thread). Not sure why, but I know he has posted in the past that he buys under a different account.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:It is possible that account is only for posting and another is used for buying. Some take this approach.

Notice the sig?
I hawk booze for a living

CT

beefytaco

Ha! I'd love to sell wine for Broc, these are wines that sell themselves in NYC.
I have two accounts - i buy under an account that is nothing more than my name. For the sake of anonymity, I have a second account for commenting since it doesn't look possible to combine accounts.
I've met a few folks IRL at NYC meetups and they'll agree that I'm harmless

___

beefytaco

testing new signature ...

___

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Personally, I prefer chicken tacos.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

hiten900

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hiten900

Block 50 wines don't seem to have any comments. Maybe unknown to Wooters?

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
beefytaco wrote:testing new signature ...

Cool!
Also of note - your signature changes on all past posts as well.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT