WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vella Cheese Company

Every time we're at a family gathering, we're told to say "cheese," and then a photograph's taken. But we never get our cheese! What's up with that? We're tired of being denied our cheese, and if you are too, we sympathize, so here's some cheese.
Vella Cheese official site

Quality Posts

elemental00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elemental00

The mezzo, and the dry jack are 2 of my favorites. I have gone through 2 mezzo and 3 jack thusfar and am in!

SiliconMage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SiliconMage

I was just on their site yesterday contemplating an order. This is an auto-buy for sure.

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga

Ok, so does one eat the rind of these cheeses, or not?

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

SiliconMage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SiliconMage
LaVikinga wrote:Ok, so does one eat the rind of these cheeses, or not?

Yes, I grate it over soup and salads. It is very flavorful.

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare

Vella Cheese Company

Vella Cheese Mezzo Secco Dry Jack Cheese
$25.99 $̶3̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 30% off List Price
Mezzo Secco Dry Monterey Jack Cheese, 2 lbs - 2.5 lbs.

Vella Cheese Company Dry Monterey Jack Cheese
$23.99 $̶2̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 17% off List Price
Dry Monterey Jack Cheese, 2 lbs. - 2.5 lbs.

Vella Cheese Company Habañero Dry Jack
$32.99 $̶4̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 18% off List Price
Habañero Dry Jack, 2 lbs. - 2.5 lbs.

Vella Cheese Company Oro Secco
$38.99 $̶5̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 22% off List Price
Oro Secco, 2 lbs. - 2.5 lbs.

Vella Cheese Company Asiago Pepato
$28.99 $̶3̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 17% off List Price
Asiago Pepato, 2 lbs. - 2.5 lbs.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

matterhornfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages matterhornfan

I'm excited to try the habanero dry jack!

mbecker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbecker

Anyone know if this cheese is organic?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

i love Vella cheese.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
Winedavid39 wrote:i love Vella cheese.

+1. I've never had the Oro Secco and boy does that one sound like the beez. Decisions to be made over some glasses of wine this weekend.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

I can't go too long without the mezzo secco. ALWAYS an auto-buy.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Stupid question.. the asiago has whole peppercorns in it correct? Doesn't look like it in the picture, and doesn't mention it in the description. But that is pepato afik.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

When will these ship? I'd like to order, but hate to have them deliver when I'm on a business trip.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

Would love to try this stuff, but how can eat a 2 lb chunk of cheese before surface growth begins. As soon as any cheese is opened it is exposed to bacteria, yeast and mold and it goes downhill from there. Why don't you guys offer a sampler deal with 8 oz portions of all these cheeses ?

michaelvella

true559 wrote:Would love to try this stuff, but how can eat a 2 lb chunk of cheese before surface growth begins. As soon as any cheese is opened it is exposed to bacteria, yeast and mold and it goes downhill from there. Why don't you guys offer a sampler deal with 8 oz portions of all these cheeses ?

I've kept one of these and chipped away at it for a couple months. More than once. Sealed well, it just got a little mold that I trimmed off. It's certainly not harmful.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

JOATMON wrote:When will these ship? I'd like to order, but hate to have them deliver when I'm on a business trip.

They'll be in the same 2-3 week time frame of other wine.woot deals.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
michaelvella wrote:I've kept one of these and chipped away at it for a couple months. More than once. Sealed well, it just got a little mold that I trimmed off. It's certainly not harmful.

Michael,

Since you are here, hopefully you can answer my question: how long will these keep unrefrigerated? I travel, and may be away when they are delivered.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

smeera

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smeera

so very happy! in for my favorite and trying 2 others.

meows

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Asiago.. peppercorns yes or no?

beertwenty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beertwenty
true559 wrote:Would love to try this stuff, but how can eat a 2 lb chunk of cheese before surface growth begins. As soon as any cheese is opened it is exposed to bacteria, yeast and mold and it goes downhill from there. Why don't you guys offer a sampler deal with 8 oz portions of all these cheeses ?

I break off a chunk and put the rest in the freezer, sealed as tightly as I can get.

birute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages birute

Why am I being charged $5 for shipping when I have all ready made another purchase and they both will be shipped to the same address?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

JOATMON wrote:When will these ship? I'd like to order, but hate to have them deliver when I'm on a business trip.

Depending on where one lives, but most of the product will ship next week to arrive at the end of the week (west coast) or the beginning of the following week (east of mississippi).

thanks,

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
birute wrote:Why am I being charged $5 for shipping when I have all ready made another purchase and they both will be shipped to the same address?

New "improvements". Sorry for the link to the link, but I'm feeling lazy.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5410919&pageindex=1&replycount=42#post5411110

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
LaVikinga wrote:Ok, so does one eat the rind of these cheeses, or not?

The rind or the outside is where all the flavor is!!

Eat away!

michaelvella

JOATMON wrote:Michael,

Since you are here, hopefully you can answer my question: how long will these keep unrefrigerated? I travel, and may be away when they are delivered.

Coincidence with the name, yo.
I don't represent them. But, if it were me, I'd have my neighbors get it.

edoursler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edoursler

Is the rind on Mezzo Secco the same as on the Dry Monterey Jack?
Is the Oro almost twice as good as the Mezzo, it is almost twice the price?
Is it Asiago or Asiago Pepato? The Vella website shows green peppercorns in the Asiago Pepato.
I know and love Vella Dry Monterey Jack especially the rind. Would someone please compare it with these other cheeses?

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559
beertwenty wrote:I break off a chunk and put the rest in the freezer, sealed as tightly as I can get.

I've had bad luck freezing block cheese. It comes out of the freezer dry and crumbly. Are you saying this cheese retains its original texture after freezing ?

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
Winedavid39 wrote:i love Vella cheese.

My entire life, Vella in Sonoma has been the standard for Monterey Jack Cheese. Especially for Dry Jack, which is a great wine cheese.

These cheeses are not to be missed!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bryte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bryte
true559 wrote:I've had bad luck freezing block cheese. It comes out of the freezer dry and crumbly. Are you saying this cheese retains its original texture after freezing ?

No it does not. It is not recommended to freeze any cheese, including this one.

elgatoesloco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elgatoesloco

What's an Habañero? Is that a cross between an Habanero and a Jalapeño?

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
rpm wrote:My entire life, Vella in Sonoma has been the standard for Monterey Jack Cheese. Especially for Dry Jack, which is a great wine cheese.

These cheeses are not to be missed!

You are one evil enabler, we knew that for wine, but cheese too?
If you had to pick just one, ok, two; which?

CT

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

I'm a dry cheese afficiando and I'd highly suggest this offer. Jack doesn't have a ton of lavor normally, but when dried and concentrated like it is here, it's great.

billyg251

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyg251

I poured the wine,and...she cut the cheese.

ginawoot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages ginawoot

I belatedly realized this would make a fine gift (and maybe the giftee wll gift me with a sliver), but I'm confused, so I do hope someone knowledgeable will straighten me out.

It seems that Dry Jack is dryer/firmer/more aged than Mezzo, and Oro dryer still. In my general cheese experience, more aging means more expensive, and Oro is in fact the priciest of the three, yet Mezzo is considerably more expensive than the Dry. What am I missing, cheese-o-philes? Please educate me so I can make this difficult decision before the Woot clock runs out!

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
ginawoot wrote:
It seems that Dry Jack is dryer/firmer/more aged than Mezzo,

Correct about drier and firmer. I'm not sure it's more aged, though that's easy enough to check on their (Vella's) web site. They're different styles of cheese, Mezzo Secco literally designed to be about halfway between a high-moisture cheese and a dry cheese. (It translates from Italian as 'medium dry,' though it's usually described as 'half dry.')

and Oro dryer still.

Incorrect, I think. Oro is the same style cheese as Mezzo, but aged longer. I would assume it is in fact somewhat drier than the Mezzo, but not being designed as a 'dry' cheese means it should be softer/moister than the Dry Jack. (The name doesn't help answer your question as it translates as 'dry gold,' which given the cheesemaker's description of Oro is ambiguous at best.) I can't confirm this from personal experience as I've never tasted the Oro, which sounds interesting but costs a lot more than either the Dry or Mezzo.

For what it's worth, I believe the reason the Oro costs so much more is because its more of a specialty item than the others, produced in smaller quantities.

Hope this helps.

matterhornfan

When will this ship?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

matterhornfan wrote:When will this ship?

Wine.woot shipments (even non-wine items) take a bit longer than shipments from our other sites. Allow at least 2-3 weeks.

The FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

matterhornfan

Thank you--I just got the tracking info today.

tagbiker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tagbiker

oops. teach me to not see the sticker on the bottom. nothing to see here.