KLibecco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KLibecco

Hi All! I'm trying to do some research about animal products since I'm trying to eat consume of them, and I'm a little surprised to find that most white wines are not vegan.

Do any of you know of any white wine that is vegan?

I'm going back through my purchases and asking if what I bought was vegan. While those responses are coming in, do any of you know of any white vegan wines?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

While I have never thought about "vegan" wine, because that's just silly, I'm assuming what would be making these wines non-vegan would be the fining process done with egg whites (a little further research provided some other animal proteins and by-products are often used as well). I could be missing some other element of the process involving an animal by-product, but I think that is it.

I think your first bet would be to go with unfined wines, though I would suspect that most whites are fined and filtered. It is highly unlikely that this process is included in any description of the wine (whether it be on the bottle or on a website), but rather needs to be directly inquired about.

My naivity to veganism begs me to ask the question, is a wine which used an animal by-product for fining, still considered non-vegan, even if said by-product does not exist in the end product?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I agree with North.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

KLibecco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KLibecco
North316 wrote:My naivity to veganism begs me to ask the question, is a wine which used an animal by-product for fining, still considered non-vegan, even if said by-product does not exist in the end product?

Hey North - I am BY NO MEANS a veganism expert... I simply just want to consume fewer animals. (It all started when I accidentally learned what confectioner's glaze was and got creeped out, so now I get picky about what's in my food and how it is made.)

You are correct: wine and beer makers frequently use animal-derived products like isinglass, egg white albumen, gelatin or casein to fine the wines. More red wines are vegan than whites. Some whites use a clay for fining called Bentonite that makes it vegan-friendly.

And to finally answer your question, it's my understanding that vegans would NOT consider a product that used animals in the process to be vegan-friendly - even if, as you mention, the product you consume at the end of the process does not contain that animal-derived-product anymore - as frequently is the case in white wine.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

My little sister Google'd this and found a list of vegan friendly wines at barnivore.com.

Just thought I'd pass it on.