nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
Ptnomore wrote:...
1000 faces has gotten significantly more expensive since my first purchase, moving from 16 oz packages to 12 oz, but it's one of our "acceptable" splurges. ...

You're far more generous than I, Ptnomore. I'm glad your income has risen to match that of 1000 Faces prices, but unfortunately mine hasn't. I marvel at a company that has the courage (nay, gall?) to raise their prices 33% in the face of flat line CPI since the '08 crash. To Faces: I hope "what the market may bear" works out great for you.

1000facescoffee

quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee

I think this coffee, in comparison to Starbuck Verona or Sumatra blends, presents more is much more palatable. You will not need to add milk or sugar to enjoy the clean and natural sweetness of these coffee's. Actually adding milk or sugar will probably take away from these coffee's, it would be like adding milk/sugar to your wine.

paulmd wrote:How does this compare to Starbucks Verona or Sumatra blends?

1000faces coffee

jspickler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspickler

As a former resident of dawg country and an avid appreciator of all things coffee, this was the fastest purchase I've made!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

I bought the 1,000 Faces offering last year and felt that it was fairly priced at $10/lb. shipped.

One of my bags broke open and spilled all over the box in transit and woot was kind enough to refund $8.75 for it when I let them know.

While I did enjoy all 4 of the selections, I wasn't crazy about any of them. I liked them just enough that I probably would have pushed the button again if it was the same deal as last year but I do not see the value in 12oz. bags at this price.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Bought a combo pack last time. For $5 more(I had activated free shipping) I got 4 lbs instead of 3 lbs. With shipping this comes to over $13/lb...no dice !

Alazius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alazius
1000facescoffee wrote:We really strive for freshness, but it seems its out of our hands once we get it on the FedEx truck.

Yeah, you definitely roast up some delicious coffee, but it's also the quantity that is giving me a bit of hesitation, as that's a lot of coffee.

That having been said, it's still tempting because it was still tasty. Probably worth dealing with the shipping lottery again just to have some more fairly cheap.

gig103

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gig103
conanthelibrarian wrote:Pretty good review (92) on the Kochere over at coffeereview.com

I bought their last sampler pack (when it was $35 for four pounds of beans, by the way). The Kochere was the best, I went and ordered four more pounds of it after I finished my sample pack. It's got an amazing flavor as french press, and makes a good espresso too, so very versatile.

But their new prices are absurd, people should check out Redbird Coffee instead, especially if you like espresso.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
1000facescoffee wrote: Actually adding milk or sugar will probably take away from these coffee's, it would be like adding milk/sugar to your wine.

Mmmmmm milk-wine. That would go great with my Milk-steak and side of jellybeans.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

1000facescoffee

nfurlong wrote:You're far more generous than I, Ptnomore. I'm glad your income has risen to match that of 1000 Faces prices, but unfortunately mine hasn't. I marvel at a company that has the courage (nay, gall?) to raise their prices 33% in the face of flat line CPI since the '08 crash. To Faces: I hope "what the market may bear" works out great for you.

Our pricing has fallen in line with, and in many cases below, other specialty coffee roasters, to which we would compare with in terms of quality and taste. I urge you to check out the pricing of roasters such as Counter Culture, Stumptown, Intelligentsia, and Blue Bottle.

We have indeed raised our prices in the last 2 years, but simply in direct relation to the price of green coffee.

We would normally sell this 4 pack at $62 online (plus shipping), or $54 locally. At $40 shipped, this is a heck of a deal. I suspect many of our loyal, local fans will snag this up.

1000faces coffee

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
1000facescoffee wrote:Our pricing has fallen in line with, and in many cases below, other specialty coffee roasters, to which we would compare with in terms of quality and taste. I urge you to check out the pricing of roasters such as Counter Culture, Stumptown, Intelligentsia, and Blue Bottle.

We have indeed raised our prices in the last 2 years, but simply in direct relation to the price of green coffee.

We would normally sell this 4 pack at $62 online (plus shipping), or $54 locally. At $40 shipped, this is a heck of a deal. I suspect many of our loyal, local fans will snag this up.

I will snap this up as well.
This is EXCELLENT coffee, right in line with the highest quality I've ever had. The woot price represents an amazing deal.
And I thank you for NOT over-roasting!

southcutt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages southcutt

This will be the...fourth time, I think? that my wife or I have bought a 1000 Faces sampler through wine.woot. It's always been excellent coffee in the past, but the change in quantity (12 oz. bags instead of 16 oz.) diminishes the value somewhat--whereas previously these samplers were always substantially cheaper than our (also excellent) hometown roaster, now they're about on par. I'm still ordering because the coffees have always been great and have always arrived within three days of the labeled roast date; and because at this price, it's still a great value. If the price continues to increase faster than our local roaster's, though, this might be our last buy.

michaelvella

southcutt wrote:This will be the...fourth time, I think? that my wife or I have bought a 1000 Faces sampler through wine.woot. It's always been excellent coffee in the past, but the change in quantity (12 oz. bags instead of 16 oz.) diminishes the value somewhat--whereas previously these samplers were always substantially cheaper than our (also excellent) hometown roaster, now they're about on par. I'm still ordering because the coffees have always been great and have always arrived within three days of the labeled roast date; and because at this price, it's still a great value. If the price continues to increase faster than our local roaster's, though, this might be our last buy.

I noticed that my last order in Oct from woot plus wine (or whatever it's called) consisted of one pound bags, yea. They were 50 shipped. These are 40 shipped, it's a little bit more per pound, but not much.

polishwine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages polishwine

For a typical Cuisinart drip-maker, what is the recommended ratio of coffee to water? And are you measuring your scoops as whole beans or ground coffee?

chipgreen

michaelvella wrote:I noticed that my last order in Oct from woot plus wine (or whatever it's called) consisted of one pound bags, yea. They were 50 shipped. These are 40 shipped, it's a little bit more per pound, but not much.

No, they were $40 shipped.

southcutt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages southcutt
chipgreen wrote:No, they were $40 shipped.

In October of last year they were $39.99 plus shipping for four 1 lb. bags. http://wine.woot.com/plus/1000-faces-coffee-company

confused15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
polishwine wrote:For a typical Cuisinart drip-maker, what is the recommended ratio of coffee to water? And are you measuring your scoops as whole beans or ground coffee?

In most cases when using a drip machine it's recommended to use about 2 tbs per 3/4 cup of water.

but everyone has a different palate, so start there and adjust accordingly.

chipgreen

southcutt wrote:In October of last year they were $39.99 plus shipping for four 1 lb. bags. http://wine.woot.com/plus/1000-faces-coffee-company

Ahh, that was a "Plus" deal which generally has a lesser discount than the daily deals. Was probably worth the extra $5 just to have been able to pick from 4 different sampler packs.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

I bought one of these samplers last year and really liked the coffee.

Health issues are dictating that I cut back on caffeine, so if I can only have 1-2 cups, I want it to be good quality coffee.

In for one.

CatCK

confused15 wrote:In most cases when using a drip machine it's recommended to use about 2 tbs per 3/4 cup of water.

but everyone has a different palate, so start there and adjust accordingly.

Is that 2T ground or whole bean?

polishwine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages polishwine
CatCK wrote:Is that 2T ground or whole bean?

Yes, what CatCK said. Any specifics?

1000facescoffee

CatCK wrote:Is that 2T ground or whole bean?

We are not super well versed in standard drip machines, mostly because we don't use them, ever, and wouldn't recommend anyone to use them as a good method for coffee brewing.

Here's a guide for how we like to brew:

How to make a French Press
7 grams of coffee per 4 ounces of water
Brew time: 4 minutes
Grind: Coarse / Ditting 9 / French Press

Place fresh ground coffee in a clean and preheated press pot and fill with water to 50% full. Start the 4 minute timer as soon as water makes contact with the grounds. Wait 60 seconds for the grounds to bloom then fold them into the rest of the pot while filling to the top with water. Gently place the lid and plunger assembly disturbing the grounds as little as possible. At the end of the 4 minutes, gently plunge the press pot and immediately transfer coffee to cups and/or thermos.

How to make a Beehouse Pour Over
21 grams of coffee for 10 ounces of brewed coffee
Grind: Medium / Ditting 4.5-5 / Paper Filter

Fold the filter at seams and place it in the cone. Rinse the filter thoroughly with hot water to remove the paper dust and preheat the ceramic cone. Place fresh ground coffee evenly in the center of the cone and make sure your cup is preheated and ready beneath the dripper. Pour just enough water to saturate the grounds then stop (60g in 10 sec). Gently but thoroughly stir the slurry with a chopstick to break-up any dry clumps. Allow for 20 seconds for the coffee to bloom then (at 30 seconds) pour the rest of the water (380 total) slowly and evenly using the stream to submerge any dark spots and avoid any light spots. Bring the level to flush or a tad above the top of ceramic cone. Once you have 300ml of brewed coffee, remove the mug and allow the remaining brew to drain into a waste cup.

How to make an AeroPress
17 grams coffee for 4 ounces water
Timer: 1 minute
Grind: Medium / Ditting 5 / Paper Filter

Invert the brewer and place the piston at the bottom of the 4 circle. Prepare your filter by placing it in the screen assembly and rinsing it with hot water. Pour hot water into the brewer to preheat it then dump it out and add fresh ground coffee. Starting the timer, pour water evenly and slowly, bringing the level of the slurry to the top of the 3 circle (50ml or 2 oz.) Add the filter assembly and make sure it is snug. When the timer goes off, gently spin the brewer at a slight angle for 10 seconds then flip the brewer onto the cup and begin the plunge. Plunge slowly and steadily (approx. 15 seconds) and stop plunging as soon as you hear the first bit of air escaping. Add 2-3 ounces (50-75g) of hot water to dilute.

How to make an Avid Clever Coffee Dripper
26 grams for 12 ounces water
Total time: 3 minutes 30 seconds plus about 30 seconds drain time
Grind: Medium Coarse / Ditting 6.75 / Metal Filter

Fold filter at seams and place it in the cone. Rinse filter thoroughly with hot water to remove paper dust and preheat the plastic cone. Drain preheating water while placing cone on cup. Place fresh ground coffee evenly in the center of the cone and add half the water starting 3:30 countdown timer. Cover. At 3:00, gently fold the blooming grounds into the slurry by adding the rest of the water, using the stream to submerge any dark spots and avoid any light spots bringing the level to about 1-2 centimeters from the top of the cone. Cover the brewer for the remainder of the brewing time. When the timer goes off, place the brewer on top of a 12 oz cup and allow the coffee to drip out of the cone.

How to make a Hario V60
25 grams for 12 ounces water
Total time: Approx. 2 minutes 30 seconds
Grind: Medium / Ditting 4.75 / Paper Filter

Fold filter at seam and place it in the cone. Rinse filter thoroughly with hot water to remove paper dust and preheat ceramic. Place fresh ground coffee evenly in the center of the cone and add 70g water while starting count-up timer and stirring. At 45 seconds, begin second pour. Slowly and evenly bring the volume up to 400g using the stream to break bloom the brining he level up with spirals. Second pour should finish at 1:15. Allow to drain till you have 12oz brewed coffee in cup and you have just begun to see bed of grounds emerging from the slurry (this should be at about 2:30). Pull cone and serve.

How to make a Vacuum Pot
40 grams for 20 ounces of water
Grind: Medium Coarse / Ditting 7 / Metal Filter

Fill globe with water to the 5 cup mark and heat till just under boiling. Watch for the first signs of bubbles and then seat the funnel with the filter and then seat the funnel with the filter assembly installed. Allow the brewer to reach "gurgle" with the majority of the water in the top vessel and a small amount boiling in the bottom. Use the paddle to create a spiral in the top vessel that will aid in the stirring in of coffee grounds. Add the fresh ground coffee stir for 10 seconds; take care to submerge all the grounds. Let the gurgle continue for 30-40 seconds then stir for another 10 seconds, breaking down the bloom and reintroducing all the grounds to the brew. Remove heat. Wait for the draw-down to begin then do one circular stir to create a swirl. Wait for it to finish then remove the top vessel and serve.

How to make a Chemex
42 grams for 20 ounces brewed
Total time: 4 minutes
Grind: Medium Coarse/ Ditting 7 / Metal Filter

Place the filter in the brewer with the multiple folds toward the spout. Rinse the filter well with hot water starting away from the spout and taking care that the filter seats evenly. Gently pour out the preheat/rinse water opposite the spout, making sure the filter stays in place. Add fresh ground coffee, making sure you have a pile evenly laid in the center of the cone. Start your 4 minute countdown timer and beginning from the center of the pile then working your way around, pour 150g water in 10-15 seconds to saturate the grounds, then stop. Stir gently in a spiral motion starting in the bottom/center and working your way up/out leaving the surface in 3-4 circles. Allow the coffee to bloom till your timer reads 3:15. Start your second pour. Once again, beginning from the center of the slurry, bring the water up to 450g in 15 seconds, using the stream to submerge any dark spots and avoid any light spots. Once the timer reads 2:15, pour for the third time. This time begin around the edges, reintroducing all the grounds then use the stream to submerge any dark spots and avoid any light spots as before. Bring the water to 700g then stop. Allow brew to drain till timer goes off, and then quickly remove the filter and any remaining liquid.

1000faces coffee

1000facescoffee

polishwine wrote:Yes, what CatCK said. Any specifics?

As a generalized starting point for any brewing methods, use 2 rounded tablespoons of GROUND coffee for every 8 ounces of water.

The size of the coffee particles dictates the surface area that is exposed to water during brewing, which affects how quickly flavors are extracted. To correct a sour, weak, and underdeveloped brew, try making the grind finer. To correct strong, bitter tastes, try making the grind coarser.

Always, always, always grind just before your brew. As we said, pre-grinding, or buying already ground coffee is like buying opened cans of soda.

1000faces coffee

CatCK

1000facescoffee wrote:As a generalized starting point for any brewing methods, use 2 rounded tablespoons of GROUND coffee for every 8 ounces of water.

The size of the coffee particles dictates the surface area that is exposed to water during brewing, which affects how quickly flavors are extracted. To correct a sour, weak, and underdeveloped brew, try making the grind finer. To correct strong, bitter tastes, try making the grind coarser.

Always, always, always grind just before your brew. As we said, pre-grinding, or buying already ground coffee is like buying opened cans of soda.

Thank you so much! I'm currently using a Cuisinart grind & brew coffee maker. I may have to break out the French Press again.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
1000facescoffee wrote:As a generalized starting point for any brewing methods, use 2 rounded tablespoons of GROUND coffee for every 8 ounces of water.

Sour vs. bitter; this may sound strange, but how is coffee sour. Bitter I understand.

CT

1000facescoffee

rjquillin wrote:Sour vs. bitter; this may sound strange, but how is coffee sour. Bitter I understand.

Next time you make a cup, try diluting it with a bit of water. You'll find that the resulting liquid is sour. Like really watered down orange juice. All sour and no sweet.

1000faces coffee

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Just spent my entire Tax Refund on this offering... in for TWO... .

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
1000facescoffee wrote:Next time you make a cup, try diluting it with a bit of water. You'll find that the resulting liquid is sour. Like really watered down orange juice. All sour and no sweet.

Interesting, thanks. When I make coffee it's generally a bit strong for others, especially if I use the French press, and they dilute with water; even to the 20~25% range of added water, and then proceed to contaminate it. Sigh.

CT

p2002

quality posts: 8 Private Messages p2002

Wow! Great commentary and participation from the seller.
I bought this last year and really enjoyed the light roast.
I am not in for this offer but I do hope to see more offerings from 1000faces.
btw I had no problem with shipping, arrival time for me was better than most Woot shipments. That may have been a factor as the coffees were very fresh.
Thank you for showing up here on WineWoot.
rk

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Not to be a grump downer, but I've tried the 1000 faces the last 2 times it was offered, and the coffee was somewhat sour and flat. I tried playing around with grinds, quantities, etc and it just wasn't as good as other options at that price point. Heck, it wasn't as good as my usual cup of Cafe Bustello.

It was almost as if the beans were under-roasted and/or not stored properly. I tried the 2nd time by way of giving them a second chance, still no improvement.

Sorry guys.

jspickler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspickler

Because there is no way I will go through 4 12-oz bags in a timely manner, do you recommend freezing your coffee? It will probably take me 2 or 3 weeks to get through each bag, so I want to make sure it stays fresh since you send it so quickly after roasting.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Whatever happened to Woot!s relationship with Thanksgiving Coffee? You had a couple deals with them - but nothing in the past couple years. It was good stuff from an very ethical company. I'd love to see it come back again.

It perturbs me that roasters don't pack 1 pound bags any longer. Clearly you're not fooling anyone on the price point, why not just ship a full pound and price it accordingly? It's stupid. You're supposed to be a cut above Dunkin' Donuts - yet they still package their beans by the pound.

Hardly matters - it's getting to the point where buying on-line isn't practical as shipping rates are going through the roof - case in point, this particular offer normally ships for $11 - for a 3# package. My local roaster charges a bit more for product but that's now offset by what most on-line roasters are charging for shipping - but the tax is the same, I don't have to wait for it, and it is roasted the day I take it home.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

PeasAreNasty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PeasAreNasty
gig103 wrote:people should check out Redbird Coffee instead, especially if you like espresso.

I did, and got in for a pound. Thanks!

PeasAreNasty

jspickler wrote:Because there is no way I will go through 4 12-oz bags in a timely manner, do you recommend freezing your coffee? It will probably take me 2 or 3 weeks to get through each bag, so I want to make sure it stays fresh since you send it so quickly after roasting.

http://www.coffeeam.com/coffee-storage.html

PeasAreNasty

PeasAreNasty wrote:http://www.coffeeam.com/coffee-storage.html

sandig7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sandig7

Are these coffees organic? This question's probably been asked and answered but I'm too lazy to read all 73+ comments!

khunjeff

quality posts: 21 Private Messages khunjeff
gig103 wrote:
people should check out Redbird Coffee instead

Nice recommendation, thanks - and they ship by Priority Mail!

jspickler wrote:Because there is no way I will go through 4 12-oz bags in a timely manner, do you recommend freezing your coffee? It will probably take me 2 or 3 weeks to get through each bag, so I want to make sure it stays fresh since you send it so quickly after roasting.

I broke down my last sampler into individual packages of about 8 oz. each, vacuum-sealed them (with a sealer from Woot, of course), and then stuck them in the freezer. I use a Saeco superautomatic (from Woot, naturally), and whenever the hopper runs low I just thaw one pack and empty it into the machine.

The Redbird website seems to approve of my method: "If you order the 5 pound bag and want to store it, the best way is to vacuum seal it with something like a Foodsaver, and then freeze it. Coffee that is not vacuum sealed will still age in the freezer, but vac-sealing and freezing seems to stop the aging process almost completely."

michaelvella

chipgreen wrote:No, they were $40 shipped.

We're both wrong. They were 45 shipped last Oct.

dustinalexander18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustinalexander18

What's up with the shipping speed on this stuff guys? it's been a full 8 days and no action... a little out of the ordinary.

inertialacoustic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inertialacoustic

Sheesh,

Ordered this, and seems like it's taking a long time to even begin shipping?

It's forcing me to drive to a Starbucks every morning and spend $2.25 on a cup of coffee

Did all of the coffee pallets in the warehouse unexpectedly explode or did all of the employees savor the fine taste for themselves???

What's the status of everything?

Bag of Cuuuuuute! | 1/19/12
Bag of Cuuuuuute! | 10/12/11

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

inertialacoustic wrote:Sheesh,

Ordered this, and seems like it's taking a long time to even begin shipping?

It's forcing me to drive to a Starbucks every morning and spend $2.25 on a cup of coffee

Did all of the coffee pallets in the warehouse unexpectedly explode or did all of the employees savor the fine taste for themselves???

What's the status of everything?

Wine shipments (even non-Wine items) take a bit longer than shipments from our other sites. Allow at least 2-3 weeks.

The FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders