WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

1000 Faces Coffee Spring Sampler (4)

Speed to First Woot:
2m 11.553s
First Sucker:
mill
Last Wooter to Woot:
lunarhowl
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 39% of Wine Woots
Top 40% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 13% of Wine Woots
Top 16% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 3% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 18% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 56% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 9% one year old
  • 88% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 91% bought 1
  • 8% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

7%
2%
1%
1%
3%
3%
6%
7%
9%
8%
7%
6%
6%
4%
3%
5%
2%
2%
4%
4%
3%
3%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare

1000 Faces Coffee Company Spring Sampler 4-Pack
$34.99 $̶6̶2̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
Kochere from Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia, 12 oz.
El Meridiano from Tolima, Colombia, 12 oz.
Fazenda Ambiental Fortaleza from Mococa, Brazil, 12 oz.
Aldo's Blend, Season Dark Blend, 12 oz.

Website

Previous offers:
5/10/12
1/12/12
8/18/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3460 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good review (92) on the Kochere over at coffeereview.com


Samus


quality posts: 20 Private Messages Samus
conanthelibrarian wrote:Pretty good review (92) on the Kochere over at coffeereview.com



I ordered the sampler back in 2011. I think Aldo's blend was the best but I'm more an espresso guy.....the wife drank the rest.

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Of all of the information and specs given about each coffee, there is a huge gaping hole where the roasting information should be(except for Aldo's Dark). Can someone please divulge this critical specification?

Oh and for the dark roast, is it roasted until 1st or 2nd crack?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

khunjeff


quality posts: 21 Private Messages khunjeff

Ok, I bought the last 1000 Faces sampler that was offered almost a year ago, and I've been waiting for another one to come along.

First, the good: I really liked the coffee! It was definitely much better than the stuff I usually buy (Dunkin Donuts, etc.), and I enjoyed trying several different varieties.

Next, the less good: the sampler took about five weeks to reach me via the humorously named "SmartPost", which meant that the "freshly roasted" aspect was somewhat lacking. (Yes, I am at a military address overseas, but jeez - Priority Mail gets here in a week or so.) Compounding this problem is that the beans are sent in simple paper bags, not vacuum-sealed or otherwise protected, so flavor and aroma can dissipate fairly easily. Luckily I'm not a connoisseur, and I vacuum-packed and froze my shipment as soon as it is arrived, but a real stickler probably wouldn't have been thrilled.

Finally, the ugly: these samplers used to consist of four 16-ounce bags, and this time we're getting four 12-oz. bags for the same price. Boo.

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
khunjeff wrote:Ok, I bought the last 1000 Faces sampler that was offered almost a year ago, and I've been waiting for another one to come along.

First, the good: I really liked the coffee! It was definitely much better than the stuff I usually buy (Dunkin Donuts, etc.), and I enjoyed trying several different varieties.

Next, the less good: the sampler took about five weeks to reach me via the humorously named "SmartPost", which meant that the "freshly roasted" aspect was somewhat lacking. (Yes, I am at a military address overseas, but jeez - Priority Mail gets here in a week or so.) Compounding this problem is that the beans are sent in simple paper bags, not vacuum-sealed or otherwise protected, so flavor and aroma can dissipate fairly easily. Luckily I'm not a connoisseur, and I vacuum-packed and froze my shipment as soon as it is arrived, but a real stickler probably wouldn't have been thrilled.

Finally, the ugly: these samplers used to consist of four 16-ounce bags, and this time we're getting four 12-oz. bags for the same price. Boo.



Bummer about the shipping time for you. The price is pretty good for this even at a lower quantity... $13.33/lb. Many specialty roasters around my area charge upwards of $20/lb and some don't even tell you when it was roasted.

At the 5 week shipping mark they should have sent you green beans so you could roast them yourself at will!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

This just reminds me that I am mourning the loss of Caribou Coffee in Ohio.

McMalbec


quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

Taking nothing away from the merits of today's offer, can't help but recall the Black Sak offers here on Woot.

FiftyFootMocha


quality posts: 9 Private Messages FiftyFootMocha

I like a darker roast (think Peet's coffee), and bought this coffee when it was offered sometime a few months ago. ALL of the coffees were roasted far too lightly for my taste...the ground coffee had the color of a pale milk chocolate. It was so bright and underroasted (to me) that I still have a bag of it from the 4-pack, unground, sitting in my kitchen reminding me that I spent money on it, and making me feel guilty that I didn't drink it.

This coffee is probably good for many coffee drinkers out there...but if you like a full city or deeper roast, just walk away before hitting that pretty button.

Or...if you like dark/full coffee and don't trust me, pull the trigger and report back in 6 months when you still have a bag sitting on your counter mocking you. Always mocking....

Nate650


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650
FiftyFootMocha wrote:I like a darker roast (think Peet's coffee), and bought this coffee when it was offered sometime a few months ago. ALL of the coffees were roasted far too lightly for my taste...the ground coffee had the color of a pale milk chocolate. It was so bright and underroasted (to me) that I still have a bag of it from the 4-pack, unground, sitting in my kitchen reminding me that I spent money on it, and making me feel guilty that I didn't drink it.

This coffee is probably good for many coffee drinkers out there...but if you like a full city or deeper roast, just walk away before hitting that pretty button.

Or...if you like dark/full coffee and don't trust me, pull the trigger and report back in 6 months when you still have a bag sitting on your counter mocking you. Always mocking....



Some of the info I was looking for, thanks!

Nate650


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650

Anyone in the Bay Area wanna split?

lolotravels


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lolotravels

I ordered the sample pack last time through, and really enjoyed it (although I wasn't a huge fan of the Kochere, which has fairly strong citrusy--sour, to my taste--notes). The Savio espresso blend, which sadly isn't included this time, is fabulous. I've been a Peets fan for 15+ years, but since trying this stuff, I've been ordering 1000 Faces for my at-home stash. (I've found the Peets that's available in retail stores now to be way sub-par to what comes directly from them, and I decided it was time to try something else from a smaller roaster.) 1000 Faces roasts are lighter overall than Peets, but I've tried probably 10 different coffees by now and they're all wonderfully flavorful in different ways.

Time- and packaging-wise, the paper bags are coated and sealed, and I've gotten mine within a couple days after roasting (though they did take a couple weeks to send them out after the woot offer), so no problems for me with freshness.

As for more details on the roasting, give them an e-mail holler with your questions. I've contacted them a couple times for more specific info on their coffees, and they've gotten back to me right away and been great about explaining what's what.

Agreed re: the price hike. I just ordered 5 packages a couple weeks ago, and was unpleasantly surprised to pay the same I had been (way more than the woot price) and get much smaller bags. Boo indeed. If I didn't already have a new stash, I'd order three of these sample packs.

lou090985


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lou090985

If I missed this bit of information, I apologize, but are these whole bean?

clivestaples7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages clivestaples7
conanthelibrarian wrote:Pretty good review (92) on the Kochere over at coffeereview.com



Wrong Kochere - The one you linked is made by Coava Coffee in Portland (these guys).

On a separate note, I've purchased these before, and they're decent. At the new smaller size/higher price, however, I doubt I'll be pulling the trigger.

jgray720


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgray720
lou090985 wrote:If I missed this bit of information, I apologize, but are these whole bean?



I too would like to know.

kwood


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kwood
FiftyFootMocha wrote:I like a darker roast (think Peet's coffee), and bought this coffee when it was offered sometime a few months ago. ALL of the coffees were roasted far too lightly for my taste...the ground coffee had the color of a pale milk chocolate. It was so bright and underroasted (to me) that I still have a bag of it from the 4-pack, unground, sitting in my kitchen reminding me that I spent money on it, and making me feel guilty that I didn't drink it.

This coffee is probably good for many coffee drinkers out there...but if you like a full city or deeper roast, just walk away before hitting that pretty button.

Or...if you like dark/full coffee and don't trust me, pull the trigger and report back in 6 months when you still have a bag sitting on your counter mocking you. Always mocking....



Thanks! You just saved me a bean mocking. I hate it when that happens.

1000facescoffee


quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee
lassow wrote:Of all of the information and specs given about each coffee, there is a huge gaping hole where the roasting information should be(except for Aldo's Dark). Can someone please divulge this critical specification?

Oh and for the dark roast, is it roasted until 1st or 2nd crack?



Hello Woot-ers! Super happy to be with you again today. We're very proud of this four pack and we think you'll love drinking these coffees.

We typically operate within the window between first crack and second crack, but never beyond.

For more on our roasting philosophy, please read here, just below the section in bold:

http://www.1000facescoffee.com/roasting/

Thanks for reading and for having us.

Cheers,

Jan
1000faces

1000faces coffee

confused15


quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
lou090985 wrote:If I missed this bit of information, I apologize, but are these whole bean?



I second this question. The pic shows whole bean, but...

wylde06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wylde06
jgray720 wrote:I too would like to know.



As would I

caffeine_dude


quality posts: 13 Private Messages caffeine_dude
lou090985 wrote:If I missed this bit of information, I apologize, but are these whole bean?



jgray720 wrote:I too would like to know.



I would say whole bean, based on looking at the pictures and the lack of grinding information.

Please don't delete this post, I am trying, honest!

cinzia47


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinzia47

is the coffee fair trade??

1000facescoffee


quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee

All of the coffee's featured in this wine woot offer were purchased at above Fair Trade pricing. We work with small producers whom are exceeding quality standards set by fair trade protocols and they deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. Fair trade in the coffee world is a good safety net to prevent worst case scenarios. The producers we are working with are excelling in their field.

-Benjamin Myers, 1000 Faces Coffee


cinzia47 wrote:is the coffee fair trade??



1000faces coffee

paulmd


quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulmd

How does this compare to Starbucks Verona or Sumatra blends?

1000facescoffee


quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee

Hello. Great to see some conversation happening. We've been working with coffee for some years now on a daily basis. Let us share some of what we have learned...

Focusing on the exterior color of the coffee bean isn't the most reliable method of assessing quality. Our approach to understanding and deciphering roast profiles is based on region, varietal, density, and blind cupping assessments. Coffee is far too complex a culinary treat to dumb down into light, medium, or dark. This reductionistic model of classifying coffee enables buyers to purchase coffee's that are not traceable to source (people + place) and instead get people thinking only about roast color. Coffee's that are roasted dark usually all taste the same, so it doesn't matter what you pay for it or the place it comes from. By focusing on a nailing the apex of taste complexity of each coffee we are enabling a window into the magic of speciality aspects of what our growing partners produce. A new day has arisen in coffee and it is better across all lines of the developmental spectrum. Embrace the opening and enjoy the unique characteristics! Also, 'dark' roasted coffee is adding carcinogenic qualities to the coffee and minimizing the viability of antioxidants in coffee.

I am on the road today, so I won't be able to comment too much on this forum. Jan will be able to answer questions though. I am actually spending the afternoon with the head farmer from Fazenda Ambiental Fortaleza.

This is fantastic offering. The 12oz. ensures freshness and the quality of our coffee increases with each offering. Our work was acknowledged on a National level in 2013 when we one this year's GOOD FOOD AWARD for coffee excellence.... The El Meridiano is worth the price of entry alone.

Cheers-

Benjamin Myers, 1000 Faces Coffee

kwood wrote:Thanks! You just saved me a bean mocking. I hate it when that happens.



1000faces coffee

Ptnomore


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Ptnomore

I purchased this sampler when it was offered in 2011ish?. And have been a solid 1000 Faces repeat customer ever since. In fact, I just received my last order of 12pks of (12oz) Belle's blend, a favorite in my house. I have not purchased a single Maxwell House, Folgers, bag of Dunkin or Starbucks ever since.
1000 faces has gotten significantly more expensive since my first purchase, moving from 16 oz packages to 12 oz, but it's one of our "acceptable" splurges. This is the ONLY coffee that I have ever found that does not trigger my acid reflux issues. I've even tried various "low acid" coffee's from various other outlets. I'm a repeat customer and really don't see myself ending this relationship anytime soon.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:This just reminds me that I am mourning the loss of Caribou Coffee in Ohio.



Still plenty of Caribou Coffee in Ohio...maybe just not your neck of the woods.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joellg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joellg

If you like starbucks coffee, you wont like this because it doesnt have that bitter pretentious battery acid taste to it. I kid, I kid. I buy these a bunch, havent had a few of this offering, but I absolutely love their coffee. I grind mine more fine than most, and these are some smooth coffees. Great flavor, I think.

Alazius


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alazius
khunjeff wrote:Next, the less good: the sampler took about five weeks to reach me via the humorously named "SmartPost", which meant that the "freshly roasted" aspect was somewhat lacking. (Yes, I am at a military address overseas, but jeez - Priority Mail gets here in a week or so.)



Yeah, I had a similar experience with coffee shipped through "SmartPost", and it's the only reason I'm not jumping on it. Shipping to Vegas took 3 weeks last time I got it, and while it was still pretty good, I didn't get to experience any of the really fresh flavors of the coffee.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cinzia47 wrote:is the coffee fair trade??



I'll trade you Robert Swift's El Camino for it, is that fair enough?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Still plenty of Caribou Coffee in Ohio...maybe just not your neck of the woods.


The ones that are left will be Peet's by mid-summer.

jaimelobo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo
joellg wrote:If you like starbucks coffee, you wont like this because it doesnt have that bitter pretentious battery acid taste to it. I kid, I kid.

Oh no you don't!!

I'm with you, I have yet to figure out how “Char”bucks or any of the Seattle-style burnt roasts have come to be revered.

Once you go much past the 2nd crack, the coffee is only good for espresso, you have no chance of differentiating one origin or varietal from another. Dark roasts all start merging into the same flavor.

bzalewski


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzalewski

I recently moved away from Athens and I desperately miss the coffee offerings in town. There is some steep competition and 1000Faces is top notch. I was super surprised to see this deal today and I'm definitely grabbing this up.

Can't wait to extract these in my Chemex!

1000facescoffee


quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee
Alazius wrote:Yeah, I had a similar experience with coffee shipped through "SmartPost", and it's the only reason I'm not jumping on it. Shipping to Vegas took 3 weeks last time I got it, and while it was still pretty good, I didn't get to experience any of the really fresh flavors of the coffee.



Sorry everyone that the shipping takes so long.

We bust our collective asses to get the coffee out the door within 5-7 days after the deal, and are still roasting to order, so if your coffee goes out on day 7, then it was roasted on day 6 or day 7. 20lb batches at a time makes for 14 hours of roasting a day to get your orders out supa fresh.

We really strive for freshness, but it seems its out of our hands once we get it on the FedEx truck.

That said, $5 for shipping is a steal, so in that sense, you get what you pay for.

1000faces coffee

fogtower


quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower
paulmd wrote:How does this compare to Starbucks Verona or Sumatra blends?



Starbucks is some of the worst coffee available. It is very cheap and low quality. I roast my own coffee for about $5.00 a pound, it is comparable to good $15 plus per pound beans, it is always fresh and takes me about 7 min a week to do. I highly recommend it.

jryvt13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jryvt13
confused15 wrote:I second this question. The pic shows whole bean, but...



Can someone with more definitive information on this speak to whether its whole bean or ground? Preferably a 1000 Faces representative. Could be a deal breaker...

HolyFlame


quality posts: 0 Private Messages HolyFlame

For those who have had this - how have you brewed it? a drip machine?

lassow


quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
fogtower wrote:Starbucks is some of the worst coffee available. It is very cheap and low quality. I roast my own coffee for about $5.00 a pound, it is comparable to good $15 plus per pound beans, it is always fresh and takes me about 7 min a week to do. I highly recommend it.



But it's not cheap! 'Char'bucks fetches just as much per pound as this coffee deal!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

wingzero2085


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wingzero2085
jryvt13 wrote:Can someone with more definitive information on this speak to whether its whole bean or ground? Preferably a 1000 Faces representative. Could be a deal breaker...



I, too, would like to know if this is whole bean or ground... if it's whole bean, I'm in!

1000facescoffee


quality posts: 45 Private Messages 1000facescoffee

Whole bean! Selling ground coffee is like selling already opened cans of soda. This offering is 100% whole bean.

-Benjamin Myers, 1000 Faces Coffee


wingzero2085 wrote:I, too, would like to know if this is whole bean or ground... if it's whole bean, I'm in!



1000faces coffee