WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Judd's Hill Pinot and Cabernet 375ml (6)

Speed to First Woot:
44m 54.441s
First Sucker:
lisaaguirre
Last Wooter to Woot:
elissa0273
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 20% of Wine Woots
Bottom 33% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 19% of Wine Woots
Bottom 34% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 0% first woot
  • 8% second woot
  • 12% < 10 woots
  • 24% < 25 woots
  • 56% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 84% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 96% bought 1
  • 0% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

8%
4%
4%
0%
4%
4%
0%
4%
8%
0%
8%
8%
8%
4%
4%
0%
0%
4%
8%
4%
4%
0%
8%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1645 Private Messages Cesare

Judd's Hill Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon 1/2 Bottle 6-Pack
$82.99 $̶1̶4̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2006 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 375ml
2009 Central Coast Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands 375ml

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Judd’s Hill Pinot – 2009
As an accountant, tax day exhaustion led to a not-so-ideal pairing for this wine. Buy one Big Mac, get the second for a penny! Needless to say, we had the meal first, and the wine later.

On the initial pnp, my first impression was that the wine was dark for a pinot. Deep ruby color. Initial nose produced a flurry of fragrances. Lots of fruit and spices. Nose of tart cherries, baking spices, rhubarb and cardamom (yes, I really just said both of those). Those blew off a bit and there was underlying funk.

Initial taste was, to say the least, unpleasant. Tart, lots of funk, and just a total barnyard, tart aftertaste. It was totally undrinkable at this point, my wife stopped after one sip. I decided to give it some more time in the glass, hoping that whatever was happening blew off and made this drinkable.

I tasting this every half hour so and unfortunately I can’t report any change. Very tart, almost sour taste, and nothing pleasant about it. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle, however, there was no sign of such a thing. Being a 2009, this shouldn’t be over the hill. There was no noticeable cork protrusion, and this was not corked (synthetic cork). As I said, hopefully this was just a bad bottle and others did not have the same experience.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
North316 wrote: As I said, hopefully this was just a bad bottle and others did not have the same experience.

In my experience Pinot does not travel well. Normally needs a week or so to settle or it can be sour and bitter, especially of unfiltered.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

Nice CT reviews for the Cab. There are also quite a few CT notes for the '07 PN which was offered here a few years ago. That may not mean much in regards to the '09 being offered today but it's something.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

I have sitting in front of me a half-sized bottle of Judd's Hill Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Seems like the right thing to do is to drink it and let you all know what I think, so here goes.

Pop 'n' pour, no decant, no vinturi. Almost immediately I'm greeted with a full bouquet of dark berries, toasted oak, and baking spices. Reminds me of a warm blackberry pie. Very nice.

The flavors are a little more reticent when I actually take some sips. The fruit is there - currents, black cherries - but there's also a lot of sage and herbs, dry tannins, and tobacco. The finish is nice and dry, although it has some heat.

This strikes me as a classic (but leaning toward new world) Napa Cab, well made, very enjoyable, and fairly priced at about $14.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I was pleasantly surprised to find a 375ml in the Woot box. I've always had a thing for the small bottles.....no doubt originating years ago when I found full cases of 1/2 bottles of a wonderful champagne marked down ridiculously by my local wine merchant because, he explained, "they weren't moving." Well, I moved them.....all.of them.

So I was in something of a jolly mood as I contemplated the Judds Hill Pinot and how it would compliment my little impromptu dinner buffet of some leftover lamb and leftover duck from the weekend and a piece of freshly grilled salmon.

I opened the wine and allowed it to sit for about 45 minutes in my glass without tasting it. I did smell it, and it had, shall we say, an exotic aroma. Well, things do change with a bit of time sitting out so I maintained hopes for it being a pleasing compliment to my land/air/sea trio.

It wasn't to be. A pleasing garnet in color, yes, but it tasted something like it smelled. Yes, there were cherryish/berryish tones but they were wearing a skunky-funky overcoat. I let my glass stand further. There was a modest change in taste with time but the wine remained such that it was not inviting. I gave it still more air....to no avail.

I see above that North's experience with this wine was somewhat akin to my own.
I also see trifecta's comments about pinot not traveling well and requiring a week or so to settle or it can be sour and bitter. I just received this two days ago so that could be the problem.

But, hey, this same winery's cabernet sounds worthwhile !

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I happen to have a bottle of the Pinot sitting at home, I've had it for damn near five days so shock shouldn't be an issue. I was going to drink it last night with dinner, but I'm one of those gets sucked in by news type people and before I knew it, midnight had come and I wake up at 4. I'll pop this when I get home today around 3 CST and let you know what I think. Based on the previous Pinot reviews (OH GOD I'M BIASED NOW!), I dont' think we'll have a sell out prior to that. Unless you count Kyle, Kyle's a sellout* ;)

*I'm fully aware that makes no sense, but I'm tired and I have a give Kyle Yellow Brick Road policy that I've been ignoring. I'll think of something better later.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rpm

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rpm

I'm glad to see some 1/2 bottles, but at ~$30 per full bottle equivalent, it's not inexpensive.

The Pinot reviews here are very off-putting and the Cabernet sounds like it's not my style.

Pass.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

deivnjoshua

quality posts: 7 Private Messages deivnjoshua
merbill wrote:I have sitting in front of me a half-sized bottle of Judd's Hill Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Seems like the right thing to do is to drink it and let you all know what I think, so here goes.

Pop 'n' pour, no decant, no vinturi. Almost immediately I'm greeted with a full bouquet of dark berries, toasted oak, and baking spices. Reminds me of a warm blackberry pie. Very nice.

The flavors are a little more reticent when I actually take some sips. The fruit is there - currents, black cherries - but there's also a lot of sage and herbs, dry tannins, and tobacco. The finish is nice and dry, although it has some heat.

This strikes me as a classic (but leaning toward new world) Napa Cab, well made, very enjoyable, and fairly priced at about $14.

Great job on the description! We describe our Napa Cabernet and Pinot Noir as "new world in style, but with a wink to the old world."

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:I happen to have a bottle of the Pinot sitting at home, I've had it for damn near five days so shock shouldn't be an issue. I was going to drink it last night with dinner, but I'm one of those gets sucked in by news type people and before I knew it, midnight had come and I wake up at 4. I'll pop this when I get home today around 3 CST and let you know what I think. Based on the previous Pinot reviews (OH GOD I'M BIASED NOW!), I dont' think we'll have a sell out prior to that. Unless you count Kyle, Kyle's a sellout* ;)

*I'm fully aware that makes no sense, but I'm tired and I have a give Kyle Yellow Brick Road policy that I've been ignoring. I'll think of something better later.

I was going to say, it's been a while.

Seems like a pass so far, although again, I like the half bottles.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

deivnjoshua

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your interest in our offer. You can't go wrong with this deal on two great wines. If you get a chance, visit our website for more tech info: www.juddshill.com. And check out our Pirate-themed winecentric talk show, "Wine Booty". No, that's not a joke. It really exists! Our motto at Judd's Hill is, "Having a good time making great wine with family." Enjoy!

kylemittskus

deivnjoshua wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your interest in our offer. You can't go wrong with this deal on two great wines. If you get a chance, visit our website for more tech info: www.juddshill.com. And check out our Pirate-themed winecentric talk show, "Wine Booty". No, that's not a joke. It really exists! Our motto at Judd's Hill is, "Having a good time making great wine with family." Enjoy!

Can you comment in the style of your PN? It has been disliked by both tasters so far. Tastes are, of course, subjective, but the notes seem to be consistent.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

I can only speak to the Judd’s Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2006 which was last offered 11/26/12. I enjoyed the ½ size bottle since my spouse is more inclined to tempranillos and riojas. Upon opening, I was greeted by a highly aromatic, lush, fruity aroma which I quite enjoyed. The wine was a deep garnet in the glass. I found it to be a great food wine with flavors of cherry, plum and some oak, smoke and herb. The tannins were very soft and the wine had a silky, smooth quality that was excellent. The flavors were well integrated and it paired well with steak. I aerated my second glass and then poured the rest in a decanter and revisited it over the evening. The lovely aromas diminished quite a bit after decanting but the flavor remained. All in all, a nice cabernet that is ready to drink now but could be cellared for a few years.

The Vintner’s voicemail was interesting because they apparently will help you craft your own wine in lots as small as a barrel. Fred Rinaldi could design his own special blend and then offer it as a special on Woot! I think he should consider it – I’m sure most of us would like to try a bottle of his personalized cabernet!

deivnjoshua

North316 wrote:Judd’s Hill Pinot – 2009
As an accountant, tax day exhaustion led to a not-so-ideal pairing for this wine. Buy one Big Mac, get the second for a penny! Needless to say, we had the meal first, and the wine later.

On the initial pnp, my first impression was that the wine was dark for a pinot. Deep ruby color. Initial nose produced a flurry of fragrances. Lots of fruit and spices. Nose of tart cherries, baking spices, rhubarb and cardamom (yes, I really just said both of those). Those blew off a bit and there was underlying funk.

Initial taste was, to say the least, unpleasant. Tart, lots of funk, and just a total barnyard, tart aftertaste. It was totally undrinkable at this point, my wife stopped after one sip. I decided to give it some more time in the glass, hoping that whatever was happening blew off and made this drinkable.

I tasting this every half hour so and unfortunately I can’t report any change. Very tart, almost sour taste, and nothing pleasant about it. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle, however, there was no sign of such a thing. Being a 2009, this shouldn’t be over the hill. There was no noticeable cork protrusion, and this was not corked (synthetic cork). As I said, hopefully this was just a bad bottle and others did not have the same experience.

Hi North 316,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our Pinot Noir. It's been a few months since I've tasted this wine in the 375ml format, so I decided to pop open a bottle. The wine does show some loamy earthy characteristics especially on the nose, but is driven more by the cherry and raspberry elements of the wine, once tasted. We think of this style as "old world meets new world". We hope we can make a fan out of you with some of our other offerings, if you're not a fan of this one.

Best,

Devin

deivnjoshua

merbill wrote:I have sitting in front of me a half-sized bottle of Judd's Hill Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Seems like the right thing to do is to drink it and let you all know what I think, so here goes.

Merbill,

Thanks for the thoughtful write-up. Our vision when making each of our wines is to create them in a balanced style, with minimal new oak, allowing them to be GREAT food wines. I hope to read some reviews of our Cabernet and Pinot Noir served with food. That's when the really shine. Enjoy!

Best,

Devin

deivnjoshua

smartheart wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to find a 375ml in the Woot box. I've always had a thing for the small bottles.....no doubt originating years ago when I found full cases of 1/2 bottles of a wonderful champagne marked down ridiculously by my local wine merchant because, he explained, "they weren't moving." Well, I moved them.....all.of them.

So I was in something of a jolly mood as I contemplated the Judds Hill Pinot and how it would compliment my little impromptu dinner buffet of some leftover lamb and leftover duck from the weekend and a piece of freshly grilled salmon.

I opened the wine and allowed it to sit for about 45 minutes in my glass without tasting it. I did smell it, and it had, shall we say, an exotic aroma. Well, things do change with a bit of time sitting out so I maintained hopes for it being a pleasing compliment to my land/air/sea trio.

It wasn't to be. A pleasing garnet in color, yes, but it tasted something like it smelled. Yes, there were cherryish/berryish tones but they were wearing a skunky-funky overcoat. I let my glass stand further. There was a modest change in taste with time but the wine remained such that it was not inviting. I gave it still more air....to no avail.

I see above that North's experience with this wine was somewhat akin to my own.
I also see trifecta's comments about pinot not traveling well and requiring a week or so to settle or it can be sour and bitter. I just received this two days ago so that could be the problem.

But, hey, this same winery's cabernet sounds worthwhile !

Hi Smartheart,

Thanks for taking the time to share your notes and give our Pinot Noir a fair shake. You certainly had the right idea, pairing this with your salmon. I've enjoyed this pairing many times myself. I hope you have another bottle and can try it again soon. Pinot can be a fickle and delicate grape, certainly prone to some travel shock, which is what this sounds like.

Best,

Devin

North316

deivnjoshua wrote:Hi North 316,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our Pinot Noir. It's been a few months since I've tasted this wine in the 375ml format, so I decided to pop open a bottle. The wine does show some loamy earthy characteristics especially on the nose, but is driven more by the cherry and raspberry elements of the wine, once tasted. We think of this style as "old world meets new world". We hope we can make a fan out of you with some of our other offerings, if you're not a fan of this one.

Best,

Devin

Devin,

I just want to clarify, my notes were certainly not driven by a stylistic dislike of the wine. The style you note this as being, is right in my wheelhouse. I have a number of a pinots ranging from very fruit forward to very earthy, but this was not on either end, nor in the middle. It was very tart/sour/bitter and was clearly flawed in some manner. Whether that flaw was from travel shock, bottling process, winemaking, or some other factor I do not know. Is this wine fined or filtered?

I do hope this is just an outlier. I have half of the bottle sitting at home and will certainly attempt to retaste it tonight after another day of rest.

My CT

deivnjoshua

sphervey wrote:I can only speak to the Judd’s Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2006 which was last offered 11/26/12. I enjoyed the ½ size bottle since my spouse is more inclined to tempranillos and riojas. Upon opening, I was greeted by a highly aromatic, lush, fruity aroma which I quite enjoyed. The wine was a deep garnet in the glass. I found it to be a great food wine with flavors of cherry, plum and some oak, smoke and herb. The tannins were very soft and the wine had a silky, smooth quality that was excellent. The flavors were well integrated and it paired well with steak. I aerated my second glass and then poured the rest in a decanter and revisited it over the evening. The lovely aromas diminished quite a bit after decanting but the flavor remained. All in all, a nice cabernet that is ready to drink now but could be cellared for a few years.

The Vintner’s voicemail was interesting because they apparently will help you craft your own wine in lots as small as a barrel. Fred Rinaldi could design his own special blend and then offer it as a special on Woot! I think he should consider it – I’m sure most of us would like to try a bottle of his personalized cabernet!

Hi Sphervey,

Thanks for listening to our vintner's voicemail and pointing out that we make custom wine in small lots for quite a few wine lovers. I wish I could name drop some of the famous athletes and artists who have entrusted us with their personal cuvee... That would really get the boards buzzing! But you don't have to be a rich, entertainer-type person to blend with us. Our Bottle Blending Day Camp is an affordable, fun and interactive way to taste and learn a little about winemaking during your next visit to Napa Valley.

Check it out:

http://www.juddshill.com/scripts/cpg.cfm/3

But back to our offer. You just can't go wrong with our Pinot and Napa Cab in the 375ml format. They are both so ready to drink right now and the perfect size for Picnic season. I hope everyone out there gives this offer a shot and enjoys these little bottles all spring and summer.

Cheers,

Devin

deivnjoshua

North316 wrote:Devin,

I just want to clarify, my notes were certainly not driven by a stylistic dislike of the wine. The style you note this as being, is right in my wheelhouse. I have a number of a pinots ranging from very fruit forward to very earthy, but this was not on either end, nor in the middle. It was very tart/sour/bitter and was clearly flawed in some manner. Whether that flaw was from travel shock, bottling process, winemaking, or some other factor I do not know. Is this wine fined or filtered?

I do hope this is just an outlier. I have half of the bottle sitting at home and will certainly attempt to retaste it tonight after another day of rest.

Hi North316,

Maybe give it a couple of more days, just to be safe. The wine really is lovely in the glass as I taste it now. To be completely honest and critical of this wine, I'd say that the style may be lighter than what some seek, but there is a brambly baking spice component behind the tart raspberry and cherry fruit. We really love it! With a pH of 3.54 and a TA of 6.6 g/L it is quite bright, especially on the finish, which adds to its food-friendliness. This wine is filtered, though relatively gently and coarsely.

All I can say is give it time. And if time don't fix it... Woot On, brother!

Thanks again for you input and support.

Cheers,

Devin

kylemittskus

Devin, I'm not buying your wine (wife would kill me and trusted palates aren't into it) but bravo to you for facing the music and not bullsh*tting us with marketing one-liners and ignoring specific posts. Well done.

deivnjoshua

kylemittskus wrote:Can you comment in the style of your PN? It has been disliked by both tasters so far. Tastes are, of course, subjective, but the notes seem to be consistent.

Hi Kylemittskus,

I must say I'm a bit perplexed. So much so, that I've opened a 375ml at my desk. It's tasting great and definitely showing bright fruit, earth and some nice baking spices to round it out. I've written quite a few posts that you've probably read by now. As you know, Pinot is one of those love'm or hate'm kind of varietals. And even within the varietal, there are myriad styles that people respond strongly to, one way or another. I suggest you try it yourself and see what you think. But you probably knew I was going to say that... It really is a great deal. The Cab is a total slam-dunk and if it turns out that you don't love the Pinot, you've only got one liter of it. It's tough to buy without tasting, but hopefully the small pack-size helps to make this an offer worth trying.

Cheers,

Devin

deivnjoshua

kylemittskus wrote:Devin, I'm not buying your wine (wife would kill me and trusted palates aren't into it) but bravo to you for facing the music and not bullsh*tting us with marketing one-liners and ignoring specific posts. Well done.

Thanks for the kind words, Kyle!

Sorry to hear you're passing on this offer, but I hope to get a Judd's Hill wine in your glass in the near future. Cab Franc, Roussanne, Syrah, Petite Sirah... We've got a lot going on over here, so keep an eye out for other wines.

Best,

Devin

kylemittskus

deivnjoshua wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Kyle!

Sorry to hear you're passing on this offer, but I hope to get a Judd's Hill wine in your glass in the near future. Cab Franc, Roussanne, Syrah, Petite Sirah... We've got a lot going on over here, so keep an eye out for other wines.

Best,

Devin

Summer's coming. Roussanne is one of, if not my favorite, white varietal... Just sayin'.

deivnjoshua

kylemittskus wrote:Summer's coming. Roussanne is one of, if not my favorite, white varietal... Just sayin'.

That's what I'm talkin'bout.

Now where getting somewhere!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
deivnjoshua wrote:Hi Kylemittskus,

I must say I'm a bit perplexed. So much so, that I've opened a 375ml at my desk. It's tasting great and definitely showing bright fruit, earth and some nice baking spices to round it out. I've written quite a few posts that you've probably read by now. As you know, Pinot is one of those love'm or hate'm kind of varietals. And even within the varietal, there are myriad styles that people respond strongly to, one way or another. I suggest you try it yourself and see what you think. But you probably knew I was going to say that... It really is a great deal. The Cab is a total slam-dunk and if it turns out that you don't love the Pinot, you've only got one liter of it. It's tough to buy without tasting, but hopefully the small pack-size helps to make this an offer worth trying.

Cheers,

Devin

man I'd LOVE to be able to open a bottle of wine at my desk, but alas, my bottle of Aquafine will have to do till 5 pm this evening

rpm

kylemittskus wrote:Devin, I'm not buying your wine (wife would kill me and trusted palates aren't into it) but bravo to you for facing the music and not bullsh*tting us with marketing one-liners and ignoring specific posts. Well done.

+1

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

+1

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

deivnjoshua

fredrinaldi wrote:man I'd LOVE to be able to open a bottle of wine at my desk, but alas, my bottle of Aquafine will have to do till 5 pm this evening

Haha! You know what they say. A bad day in the wine busines... yaddah... yaddah...

Cheers!

bhodilee

09 Central Coast Pinot Noir

GATHER ROUND CHILDREN, GATHER ROUND, OL UNCLE BOWTIE HAS A STORY TO TELL YOU! WHAT? WHY AM I SHOUTING? BECAUSE I'M OLD!

Is that better? Are you happy now? Has the headache and nausea subsided? Good, as Paul Harvey used to say, Now, for the rest of the story.

Holy Tartrate Batman! I'm guessing you two had some bottle shock as I apparently have a different wine entirely. First off, I have never seen tartrate crystals the size of these. I could have fashioned jewelry from them and I'm only slightly exaggerating. I honestly looked over the lip of the bottle because I thought maybe some had broken off into the glass. It was bad enough I actually fished them out.

Initial pop and pour(4:30CST): aside from the splash of the tartrate we've got a pretty straightforward Pinot going on here. Cherries, little bit of loam, not overpowering, pleasant enough nose. Not getting any mushroom funk on the palate at all, mainly muted little cherries, little tart, like if you ate cherries and crabapple together. Not an unpleasant thing by any stretch. I'm going to go get some more and update this with an edit later.

Edit the first (4:50): That's weird. My first pour was hardly anything, maybe 1/2 ounce (I always do that on first pour, dunno why, just seems right). This pour is closer to a standard pour and the nose is radically different. Much more barnyard, but in a twist, it blew off as I was typing the preceding. Maybe it was just because the dog was in my lap and he smells like a sack of anus (anii?). First sip is closed, no tannin, slight bit of heat, but nothing to really distract. I should mention I'm drinking this from an actual pinot glass, I'm guessing the others did as well. Such an odd shaped glass, almost useless since I don't drink Pinot that often. Anyway, I'm still not getting what the others got. So far I kinda like this one.

Nother Edit (5:18): Wine has evolved a little, more cherries on the nose and something that almost reminds me of heavily chlorinated water. It's not real apparent, but I swear it smells like a public pool, which makes me think of bikini's, so I'm down with it. Swirling gives a little bit of mushroom and cherry (maybe I'm confusing the mushroom with chlorine?). Regardless, it's not a bad smell. On the tongue, this reminds me of exactly why I don't drink much Pinot:

Bowties guide to Pinot: Pinot, for me, seems to fall into one of two categories.

One: Lots of funk, not a lot of fruit, and I don't really like that. As you may remember from previous reviews of Pinot, I like mushroom in my mushrooms, not my wine.

Two: Fruit forward, which I'd put this one in. The problem with a fruit forward Pinot is it's basically a Sangiovese with an English Lit degree that spent five years in the job market, realized their degree was useless and moved back in with mom and dad and basically just gave up on life. So that doesn't really appeal to me either.

Basically, this falls into the gave up on life side, so if you like that style of Pinot, you'll probably like this, just give it a week or two before you even THINK of opening it. I got mine on Thursday and it has sat upright in the same spot since that time.

Now, the verdict: This is a good fruit focused Pinot. It has a little bit of the funk that all Pinots have, but the fruit is the major player here. It's actually quite pleasant, but I like my tart cherries to beat me over the head like a Noceto Sangio. If you enjoy a more restrained style, this is a good bet. I actually like this one and would happily drink it if someone else provided it, but again, Pinot and I are casual acquaintances at best, like the booty call of wine. I like it, but if I've got other options, I'm probably taking the other option.

I really am curious why my experience is so different than the other two. Hopefully it's a matter of bottle shock and not flawed bottles.

This will be the last update. I'm gonna down the rest of it and open a bottle of something else. I think I have some crown that I got for Christmas that wants to be ingested.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Kudos to the reviewers- your work is much appreciated!

And thank you to Devin/Judd's Hill for stopping by....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

North316

Just a quick update. This has subdued somewhat overnight. I actually left it uncorked in the refridgerator. Poured a little to go with spaghetti tonight. The overly tart/sour/bitter notes have mellowed some. There is still some definite tart/sour notes, moreso than I believe is intended style-wise, but this has at least become drinkable, a marked improvement from last night. I still don't get all of the notes that Bowtie is getting, but it does lead me to believe that there is some definite bottle shock or something of that nature occuring here, and I don't believe the bottle itself is "bad". Based on what I am getting now, I could see this wine moving in the direction of his review, though unfortunately I did not get to enjoy that experience this time.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Just a quick update. This has subdued somewhat overnight. I actually left it uncorked in the refridgerator. Poured a little to go with spaghetti tonight. The overly tart/sour/bitter notes have mellowed some. There is still some definite tart/sour notes, moreso than I believe is intended style-wise, but this has at least become drinkable, a marked improvement from last night. I still don't get all of the notes that Bowtie is getting, but it does lead me to believe that there is some definite bottle shock or something of that nature occuring here, and I don't believe the bottle itself is "bad". Based on what I am getting now, I could see this wine moving in the direction of his review, though unfortunately I did not get to enjoy that experience this time.

When did you procure your bottle?

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

I love 1/2 bottles. They age faster and I'm the only red drinker in my family. But the price on these is a little steep. To get these shipped to Southern California is $95. For 6 1/2 bottles. Assuming two glasses per bottle it works out to roughly $8 a glass. So 4 glasses in a 750 bottle is $32. This is an easy pass, especially with the issues with the PN.

CT