trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

The one, the only, Clark Smith has extended an invitation to the wine.woot community to come to his awesome home up in Santa Rosa.

Clark is winemaker extraordinaire for WineSmith wines, Diamond Ridge Vineyards (now TwoJakes), and probably a host of others where he is a consultant to the stars. He is also a professor and musician. I'm sure he'll be playing some music for us too

SWMBO and I had the pleasure of stopping by his place in Santa Rosa (awesome old church!) and had a wonderful time.

The date and time have now been set:

UPDATED TIME!
August 3rd from 2pm-6pm

From Mike Faulk:
We would like it to be a "pot luck" of your most favorite recipe!!! The other exciting element is: it would be great if everyone brings 1 bottle of something they have purchased off of woot!!! This would be a great opportunity to taste through some of the fabulous wines and have a discussion about them.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Although I wasn't crazy about that 2004 Chard (bottle variation?), I'd love to go to the BBQ!

trifecta

bsevern wrote:Although I wasn't crazy about that 2004 Chard (bottle variation?), I'd love to go to the BBQ!

I guarantee that there will be plenty of wines you'll be into. Great Pinot, cab franc, cab, and PS. Glad your in for the BBQ.

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk
trifecta wrote:The one, the only, Clark Smith has extended an invitation to the wine.woot community to come to his awesome home up in Santa Rosa.

Clark is winemaker extraordinaire for WineSmith wines, Diamond Ridge Vineyards (now TwoJakes), and probably a host of others where he is a consultant to the stars. He is also a professor and musician. I'm sure he'll be playing some music for us too

SWMBO and I had the pleasure of stopping by his place in Santa Rosa (awesome old church!) last week and had a wonderful time.

Initially we want to gauge interest and try to determine a date that will work out, either in late May or early June. The possibility for combining the weekend with the Classified Bordeaux tasting may exist, but we will have to see.

For now I just wanted to open up the discussion and will update this first post as things evolve.

Thanks.

Hello Trifecta,

It was a pleasure meeting you and SWMBO last week and tasting through some wines. I am talking to Clark to lock down some potential dates to host this event. I will be back on in a day or two to post some possible dates so we can see what works best for us and the group. Thank you for starting this thread. We look forward to seeing you again soon and enjoying some great wine and food together.

- Mike

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I'd definitely be in for this depending on the date.

mikefaulk

mikefaulk wrote:Hello Trifecta,

It was a pleasure meeting you and SWMBO last week and tasting through some wines. I am talking to Clark to lock down some potential dates to host this event. I will be back on in a day or two to post some possible dates so we can see what works best for us and the group. Thank you for starting this thread. We look forward to seeing you again soon and enjoying some great wine and food together.

- Mike

Hello Everyone!!! I apologize for getting back to you all a bit later than promised. I have worked out a few possible dates and wanted to get some input from y'all... One would be Saturday June 8, 2013 or the following Saturday June 15. We would like it to be a "pot luck" of your most favorite recipe!!! The other exciting element is: it would be great if everyone brings 1 bottle of something they have purchased off of woot!!! This would be a great opportunity to taste through some of the fabulous wines and have a discussion about them. As for the time... Maybe something like 12 PM - 5 PM Any thoughts??? Happy tasting and wooting my friends.

mikefaulk

bsevern wrote:Although I wasn't crazy about that 2004 Chard (bottle variation?), I'd love to go to the BBQ!

Hello bsevern, I know the 04 Faux Chablis is still quite tight and minerally right now. It will definitely improve and soften up with some age, It is only now that the 2003 Chardonnay (same wine Clark just started calling it Faux Chablis in 2004) is starting to come around. It is quite impressive to see a CA Chard that can age for ten years or more as 99% of them don't.

It would be nice to meet you at the gathering and taste through some other delicious wines Clark has made. I have the great honor of working with him and I can honestly say you will not be disappointed if you could join us.

CAGrl

mikefaulk wrote:Hello Everyone!!! I apologize for getting back to you all a bit later than promised. I have worked out a few possible dates and wanted to get some input from y'all... One would be Saturday June 8, 2013 or the following Saturday June 15. We would like it to be a "pot luck" of your most favorite recipe!!! The other exciting element is: it would be great if everyone brings 1 bottle of something they have purchased off of woot!!! This would be a great opportunity to taste through some of the fabulous wines and have a discussion about them. As for the time... Maybe something like 12 PM - 5 PM Any thoughts??? Happy tasting and wooting my friends.

The 8th is better for us as we have a birthday party on the 15th. Not sure about the other wooters though.

bsevern

mikefaulk wrote:Hello Everyone!!! I apologize for getting back to you all a bit later than promised. I have worked out a few possible dates and wanted to get some input from y'all... One would be Saturday June 8, 2013 or the following Saturday June 15. We would like it to be a "pot luck" of your most favorite recipe!!! The other exciting element is: it would be great if everyone brings 1 bottle of something they have purchased off of woot!!! This would be a great opportunity to taste through some of the fabulous wines and have a discussion about them. As for the time... Maybe something like 12 PM - 5 PM Any thoughts??? Happy tasting and wooting my friends.

This sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

I take it there's a BBQ available to grill on?

I hear you on the Faux Chablis, I'm wondering how much bottle variation there might be on these?

mikefaulk

Clark has decided on the 15th of June!!! Sorry CAGrl, He gets back into town late on the 7th and it's too much for the 8th. Hopefully we can see most of you there. Please post and RSVP if you are going to come. you can email me at mike.winesmith@gmail.com I will have Clark "tune in" on the discussion too for more details. We look forward to seeing you there. and yes... There will be a BBQ :-)

CAGrl

mikefaulk wrote:Clark has decided on the 15th of June!!! Sorry CAGrl, He gets back into town late on the 7th and it's too much for the 8th. Hopefully we can see most of you there. Please post and RSVP if you are going to come. you can email me at mike.winesmith@gmail.com I will have Clark "tune in" on the discussion too for more details. We look forward to seeing you there. and yes... There will be a BBQ :-)

It's okay. I still might be able to swing it. I'll let you guys know soon! Thanks!

trifecta

We are in for the 15th. 12PM to 5 PM sounds good.

One thing that would be fun (and geeky, thats the woot style) is if Clark could explain his alcohol adjustment, i.e. sweet spot, methods. It would be awesome if there were any samples of wines across different alcohol levels that we could try. I think it would be a fun activity that most, if not all, have never done.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

What a pity - traveling to NorCal twice in the next months... One time next week + that weekend (but pretty solidly 'booked'), one time around the last 2 weekends in June (6/21-7/3).

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:We are in for the 15th. 12PM to 5 PM sounds good.

Darn, I have a wedding to attend that day.

trifecta

Clark/Mike -

Are there any other days besides June 15th that could work?

This date doesn't seem to be getting much traction. Any other Saturdays or Sundays that could work?

mikefaulk

trifecta wrote:Clark/Mike -

Are there any other days besides June 15th that could work?

This date doesn't seem to be getting much traction. Any other Saturdays or Sundays that could work?

I will Check with Clark, Any thoughts on a different day? Give me a few.

trifecta

For those out there that would like to attend, but can't make the 15th, please throw out your available dates in June/July. Thanks!

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
trifecta wrote:For those out there that would like to attend, but can't make the 15th, please throw out your available dates in June/July. Thanks!

I am in the area June 21 arriving late at night- July 3rd.
So, likely
June 22, June 23
or
June 29, June 30 would work fine (unless the conference I am going to has a "post-conf" event on June 29).
Weekdays July 1, 2 and possibly June 24 could also work.

mikefaulk

Hello Everyone. So I have some more possible dates. Clark will be out of town starting June 21 - the end of July. We were thinking of changing the date to August 3rd, 10th, or 31st. We can still do the June 15th if that works for most. The advantage to doing it in August is that Clark's new book "Postmodern Wine Making" will be out and he can talk about the book (even sign copies for anyone who would like to purchase one. How do the August dates work the for the woot community? If not we can still stick with June 15. If we do want June 15, let us know since it is only right around the corner

- Mike

bsevern

mikefaulk wrote:Hello Everyone. So I have some more possible dates. Clark will be out of town starting June 21 - the end of July. We were thinking of changing the date to August 3rd, 10th, or 31st. We can still do the June 15th if that works for most. The advantage to doing it in August is that Clark's new book "Postmodern Wine Making" will be out and he can talk about the book (even sign copies for anyone who would like to purchase one. How do the August dates work the for the woot community? If not we can still stick with June 15. If we do want June 15, let us know since it is only right around the corner

- Mike

The weekend of June 15th is Father's Day, so that's out for me, but I'm liking the August options.

trifecta

mikefaulk wrote: We were thinking of changing the date to August 3rd, 10th, or 31st. We can still do the June 15th if that works for most.

It looks like the 15th isn't going to work for many of us. I am open to dates in August. The 3rd or 10th could work. My vote would be the 3rd due to other plans up north that weekend.

mikefaulk

trifecta wrote:It looks like the 15th isn't going to work for many of us. I am open to dates in August. The 3rd or 10th could work. My vote would be the 3rd due to other plans up north that weekend.

August 3rd sounds good... How is that for the rest of the gang???

mikefaulk

mikefaulk wrote:August 3rd sounds good... How is that for the rest of the gang???

I think we should plan on the 3rd. Anyone else in???

bsevern

I think the 3rd would work for me.

CAGrl

I think we are out for that weekend.

mikefaulk

mikefaulk wrote:I think we should plan on the 3rd. Anyone else in???

Clark Smith would like to solidify Aug 3rd as the day of the BBQ. Please rsvp with me via email at mike.winesmith@gmail.com. He is very excited to meet and speak to you all in person.

We will be BBQ-ing and we ask that any one who comes to bring a "Pot Luck" style dish. It would also be fun to bring a wine you have purchased from woot to share with the group.

The event will be at: 515 Orchard St. Santa Rosa, CA 95404.

my cell # is (954) 295-8944 if you need to get in touch with me

I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you soon. Salud & Happy Wooting!!!

bsevern

Mike I just sent a RSVP to your email addy.

Looking forward to the event...hopefully we get lucky with some cool weather that day

trifecta

We're in. I will email you later today. What time frame were you thinking?

trifecta

CAGrl wrote:I think we are out for that weekend.

Is this still the case? Hope you guys can make it.

CAGrl

trifecta wrote:Is this still the case? Hope you guys can make it.

Still the case. I'm running a 10K the next day.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
CAGrl wrote:Still the case. I'm running a 10K the next day.

Swish and spit, you'll be fine! Just kidding.

*Sigh* Looks like I'm also out for the 3rd. I'll be out of state June 26th - August 4th.

mikefaulk

trifecta wrote:We're in. I will email you later today. What time frame were you thinking?

12 PM - 6 PM

trifecta

Bumping this thread.

Who's ready for the 3rd? Mike can chime in for who replied via email, but for now I think it's a pretty small confirm list.

trifecta
trifecta +1
bsevern
bsevern +1

It would be nice to get some more folks involved! I know some other wooters really enjoyed their time with Clark while on his tour back east.

ajrod27 wrote:Swish and spit, you'll be fine! Just kidding.

*Sigh* Looks like I'm also out for the 3rd. I'll be out of state June 26th - August 4th.

I think you meant July 26th???

If you get back early come on by!

bsevern

trifecta wrote:Bumping this thread.

Who's ready for the 3rd? Mike can chime in for who replied via email, but for now I think it's a pretty small confirm list.

trifecta
trifecta +1
bsevern
bsevern +1

It would be nice to get some more folks involved! I know some other wooters really enjoyed their time with Clark while on his tour back east.

I think you meant July 26th???

If you get back early come on by!

Carpool? Or are folks staying the night?

trifecta

bsevern wrote:Carpool? Or are folks staying the night?

We have plans up there for the 4th, so we'll be staying close by.

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
trifecta wrote:

Yep, you definitely want to meet Clark!

trifecta

Bump!

BBQ next Saturday. Hoping more folks will take up Clark's offer to come by his place and discover some great wines.

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

xPost from the main forum:

Anyone within driving distance of Santa Rosa would be foolish not to at least attempt to attend. People pay big money to be herded through wineries in large groups with very little personal interaction with anyone of consequence, while here is a generous offer from a skilled and knowledgeable winemaker to come to his place for a free BBQ and wine tasting. Clark Smith is a very friendly guy who loves to share his passion about wine and is both interesting and entertaining while doing so. Take advantage of this opportunity if you can!

sonomana1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonomana1

This sounds like fun. Is there room for two more people? I live in Santa Rosa next to Carol Shelton.

Thanks, Richard

bsevern

sonomana1 wrote:This sounds like fun. Is there room for two more people? I live in Santa Rosa next to Carol Shelton.

Thanks, Richard

Absolutely, there's plenty of room, bring friends!!