otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:Do you know which? and do you know when? I ask, because my wife couldnt' remember my birthday for like the first three years we dated. Just making sure your wife remembers yours. Sometime in January was my birthday for three years.

40" Masterbuilt. Ordered to arrive after my bday on Sunday...

edit: MD Sparky!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
tenuki wrote:Happy birthday bawhm!

Okay, I'm lazy and can't find the thread, does anyone remember what blend the Vegas wine with grey capsule was? Was that the barbera blend?

Definitely not the Barbera blend. In CT, I have a private note I added onto those denoting those as the blue capsules.
I apparently forgot to denote the other two, but since I believe the most recent ones (SMV-blend) were green capsules, I'm going to go with the grey capsules being the 2009 blend of Zin/Barbera/Cab.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Definitely not the Barbera blend. In CT, I have a private note I added onto those denoting those as the blue capsules.
I apparently forgot to denote the other two, but since I believe the most recent ones (SMV-blend) were green capsules, I'm going to go with the grey capsules being the 2009 blend of Zin/Barbera/Cab.

I thought in the latest blend the green capsule was only for the special BOB (bottom of barrel) bottles. So two colors for Blend #3.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

polarbear22 wrote:I thought in the latest blend the green capsule was only for the special BOB (bottom of barrel) bottles. So two colors for Blend #3.

Oh right, that's why I'm remembering green. And now I'm remembering that besides the blue the other two colors are grey and gold. And I'm now 99.42% sure the gold was for the 2009. So that would make the 2011 being the grey.
Unless that's incorrect, then I'm 99.42% sure that the grey was 2009 and gold was 2011.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Oh right, that's why I'm remembering green. And now I'm remembering that besides the blue the other two colors are grey and gold. And I'm now 99.42% sure the gold was for the 2009. So that would make the 2011 being the grey.
Unless that's incorrect, then I'm 99.42% sure that the grey was 2009 and gold was 2011.

Umm, thanks? :P Yeah, I was just trying to remember if we used grey or blue first year. My friend Randy had chipped in for half a case, and was like what is this?

CT

polarbear22

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Oh right, that's why I'm remembering green. And now I'm remembering that besides the blue the other two colors are grey and gold. And I'm now 99.42% sure the gold was for the 2009. So that would make the 2011 being the grey.

You are incorrectly correct.

2009 - gray (silver)
2010 - blue
2011 - gold and green for BOB bottles.

Not as trustworthy as ddeuddeg, but not totally unreliable either.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

polarbear22 wrote:You are incorrectly correct.

I was actually just testing you to see if you would come up with the correct answer. You passed.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:If we have the same Pinot....I hope yours is much better than the initial taste of mine was.

When did you get yours? I got mine on Thursday and it's been resting til about half an hour ago and it's actually pretty damn good.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

otolith wrote:40" Masterbuilt. Ordered to arrive after my bday on Sunday...

edit: MD Sparky!

very cool! I read once that you can't tell the difference between woods, but honestly, I like cherry with chicken and hickory with beef and I'm partial to Pecan with pork. I get bags cheap though so I keep a good variety on hand.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

you'd be pretty good at accounting ;)

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Phrases I never needed to read, but am strangely more whole for having read: "sack of anus"

bhodilee

mother wrote:Phrases I never needed to read, but am strangely more whole for having read: "sack of anus"

I'm here all week! Kyle will love the summation.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

2009 - gray (silver)
2010 - blue

Ah thanks, I got confused too, forgot the first two were both Barbera blends.

CT

HitAnyKey42

Awww, sad. One of my Woot Cellars Blitzen from the wine rack in my closet is ultra bad. Leaky gooey black stuff all around the underside of the capsule (and a bit leaking through the top) and a rather awful smell of some sort. And I can see that the cork itself is all sorts of discolored, soaked through, and icky looking.
All this and I haven't even pulled the cork yet.

Don't even really understand how it could have happened. It never would get hot enough in there to do anything like this as far as I know...and the other dozen or so other bottles of things I have in there look just fine. At least they better all be fine.

EDIT: Well, I just opened another Blitzen that was on the same rack right next to the one above, and no leakage, cork in perfect condition, and the wine is just great. So maybe the other bottle did somehow cook in transit and I only just didn't notice until now? Is it possible that the seepage through the capsule wouldn't have happened immediately, but could have occurred over time while lying on it's side?
Any other wine flaw explanations besides cooking that would explain this?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

HitAnyKey42 wrote:
Any other wine flaw explanations besides cooking that would explain this?

There is also the chance that the cork was flawed and it leaked.

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
polarbear22 wrote:There is also the chance that the cork was flawed and it leaked.

That's what I was thinking. Check the cork!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:When did you get yours? I got mine on Thursday and it's been resting til about half an hour ago and it's actually pretty damn good.

Arrived at my office on Thursday, in-transit via co-worker on Friday and was home and resting Friday by 5pm, untouched until opened. Mine certainly had a longer travel than yours though, since I am in Ohio.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

HHHAAPPYYY Birrrtthhddaayy Bahwm!!!

HitAnyKey42

North316 wrote:That's what I was thinking. Check the cork!

What should I be looking for? Right now, the cork is still in the bottle. I didn't even bother removing it yet. Cat will be here Sunday, so I was figuring I'd leave it until she got here so we could examine it all in more detail together. And experience the badness of a bottle like this together.

Maybe WD can bring me a replacement bottle to the Wootception, if he has any left.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

We set a record for today's high temp.... it was 92 here today!! 2 weeks ago, we had frost..... crazy weather....

otolith

mommadeb1 wrote:We set a record for today's high temp.... it was 92 here today!! 2 weeks ago, we had frost..... crazy weather....

We were happy with 46 today! Tomorrow, we're back to 40 and rain, followed by 35 and snow for the rest of the week...Just f'n great....

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

bhodilee wrote:very cool! I read once that you can't tell the difference between woods, but honestly, I like cherry with chicken and hickory with beef and I'm partial to Pecan with pork. I get bags cheap though so I keep a good variety on hand.

She got some wood, too. heh

I can't wait to try it out! Will have to start with some chicken and pork ribs.

--John Muir

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

2009 - gray (silver)
2010 - blue

Sorry this took so long. Birthday dinner with bahwm, then choir rehearsal. Finally, I as reminded to check on this, only to discover that you had it right long ago. At least I can confirm it for you.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

mother wrote:Phrases I never needed to read, but am strangely more whole for having read: "sack of anus"

That.Is.Hilarious.

I'm not sure why you'd let your dog on your lap, let alone your house, if he smelled like that.

--John Muir

otolith

coynedj--do I have some of your wine????

--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! I had a great day. Dinner at Mike A's in Buffalo was amazing! One of these days . . . the Omakase dinner will be ours! Just need about 3 hours to do it!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin

お誕生日おめでとうございます bahwm

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:お誕生日おめでとうございます bahwm

ありがとう rjquillin

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

RJQ- PM 4 U

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cmaldoon wrote:RJQ- PM 4 U

Yes, I just typed that

No, I can't believe it either

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:What should I be looking for? Right now, the cork is still in the bottle. I didn't even bother removing it yet. Cat will be here Sunday, so I was figuring I'd leave it until she got here so we could examine it all in more detail together. And experience the badness of a bottle like this together.

Maybe WD can bring me a replacement bottle to the Wootception, if he has any left.

Sometimes corks just leak

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:Yes, I just typed that

No, I can't believe it either

2funny, replied

CT

polarbear22

otolith wrote:She got some wood, too. heh

I can't wait to try it out! Will have to start with some chicken and pork ribs.

I want reviews. My birthday (and smoker) aren't until June.

My Cellar

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:お誕生日おめでとうございます bahwm

This reminds me of the time in the main thread when I made someone so mad I got cursed out in Thai. Something about the size of my manhood. It was Kyle's fault of course, he started it.

bhodilee

otolith wrote:That.Is.Hilarious.

I'm not sure why you'd let your dog on your lap, let alone your house, if he smelled like that.

he currently has some serious dog breath happening. I think he may need an extraction.

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:I want reviews. My birthday (and smoker) aren't until June.

To be clear, he wants reviews of the smoker, not the other thing you alluded to. At least, I think that's what he wants. I could be wrong.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:coynedj--do I have some of your wine????

I don't think so, but if you want to go down to the cellar and pick out a few choice bottles that would be OK with me.

And re your weather complaints, at least you didn't get the ice storm we had in South Dakota. I spent last night until sundown clearing tree limbs out of my yard - I waited for a few days because I wanted the power company to come get their electricity line off my backyard lawn first. I'll be clearing branches and limbs again all night tonight too, but that should be the end of it. At least I got to use my chain saw - that's always fun.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:I don't think so, but if you want to go down to the cellar and pick out a few choice bottles that would be OK with me.

And re your weather complaints, at least you're not in South Dakota.

I shortened that for you.

And to be fair, I absolutely adore South Dakota but I don't think I could handle living there at all.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tenuki wrote:Ah thanks, I got confused too, forgot the first two were both Barbera blends.

No, the second was a Barbera blend. The first was a Zinfandel blend.
I need to do a better job of keeping up here. Dang work keeps getting in the way.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ddeuddeg wrote:No, the second was a Barbera blend. The first was a Zinfandel blend.
I need to do a better job of keeping up here. Dang work keeps getting in the way.

IIRC, 77% Zin, with the remainder Cab and Barbera.

And just realized I didn't have any of them in my count. So those still need to be added as well as wine club shipments. Yellow Brick Road!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.