2011 ONEHOPE North Coast Reserve Pinot Noir
2011 ONEHOPE Napa Valley Reserve Pinot Noir
2011 ONEHOPE Carneros Napa Valley Reserve Pinot Noir
2009 ONEHOPE Central Coast Reserve Pinot Noir

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

I enjoyed the 2011 reserve napa PN on Saturday night that a dear friend sent me. Here are my notes that are also posted in cellar tracker.

4/13/2013
Tasted over three hours. Wine was clear and free of sediment, very light red body and nearly clear at the edges. Nose is dominated by red cherries and is quite strong. On the tongue it opens tart with some slightly sour cherries, it has a very round mouthfeel which I am not used to in a PN. The 40% new oak is most likely responsible for this, the wine also has a noticeable mildly tannic finish which surprised me but is attributed to the oak usage as well.
Purchasing directly from the one hope website this is a $39.99 bottle but $9 of it goes to charity so it's really a $30 bottle. For my taste it feels more like a mid to low $20's bottle of wine. Very smooth with no flaws but it lacks the character of a vineyard designate or estate wine.
It paired well with light appetizers but didn't stand up to the savory pork chop I had for dinner. Overall a nice bottle of wine with nice fruit and little more oak then I care for in this style of PN.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 14

Spring has sprung! Time to fire up the grill and open that big-assed red before the weather gets too hot to drink big-tannin wines. Host a Get-Together in your area!

April
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner
TBD: SoCal #25: Pasta-making!

May
5/4: NorCal: Vincent Arroyo Open House
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland

June
6/1: NorCal Classified Bordeaux Tasting

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I had the opportunity to participate in a tasting of the 2011 Carneros recently. PnP and consumed over several hours.

Caveats to start. Overall I’m not a fan of brassy, bold, and jammy reds (though they I do like them in the proper time and place). I enjoy subtlety and expansiveness – I like wines that evolve and occasionally surprise me in different ways as the bottle opens and develops. My favorite reds are tempranillos and riojas. I’m not the huge PN aficionado that many people are. I’m also not a big fan of CS and PS except when paired with foods that need bold accompaniments.

The following is from my notes.

Moderately leggy. Translucent purple coloring with very good clarity. Nose is much muted, mostly floral with just a whiff of earthiness. The initial taste shows the same floral notes as in the nose. The predominant taste note I detected was roses, supported by some cherry and strawberry notes. Also some heat and acidity combine to give a decided bite. The floral elements fade quickly in the mouth, with the few deeper notes persisting, along with the bite. Almost all of the profile is in the front of the mouth. My second sip out of the initial pour is is a bit less floral-dominated. Overall the best single adjective I can put on this is “delicate”. Not robust in any sense.

The second pour was about 30 minutes after opening. No change in appearance. Still leggy. The nose is now noticeably earthier; the floral elements are less prominent and the red fruits more obvious. In the mouth, the profile is now mostly red-fruit driven (strawberry and cherry), with the floral elements subdued. Less heat and bite, but still some remaining acidity. A bit more tannin and body are apparent. Overall the wine is now more rounded and expressive. The flavor profile is also beginning to move rearward. Still some persistent heat. While this is decidedly less “delicate” it is still not at all “dense”. It can easily be overwhelmed in any pairing with strong and intense food. I ate some crab enchilada made with onions, garlic and mild green enchilada sauce, and that was a bit strong. The acidity worked with the enchilada, but the taste profile was a little weak. I should have gone for a bit of cedar plank salmon instead.

I returned to the wine a couple of more times over the next couple of hours. The deeper notes continued to develop, with the fruit notes still leading the way and the floral notes subsiding. After an hour I thought I was picking up a few added spice notes – maybe a bit like allspice. The earthy notes also develop. The profile continues to move to the rear of the palate. It also still has some distinct zip from the acidity and the heat; these haven’t really changed much from opening> If they seem more now that’s likely only because the wine flavor profile has opened up.

Although the wine has deepened and intensified since opening I think it still clearly falls on the delicate side rather than the robust side.

As for QPR I don’t think I’m a good judge. In other settings I haven’t been excited about some PNs while others around me who are PN drinkers are raving. So I’m not sure that I’m a good source for PN. I hope I provided enough info in the comments so that if you are a PN fan you can make sense of this for yourself.

Cheers!

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

The wine gods were generous enough to drop a Central Coast Reserve at my door. Unfortunately, my god(s) (Hindu), decided to have a week long worship with no meat or alcohol. That being said, I did a little PnP.

Straight out of the bottle, the nose was a little funky to me. Its been sitting for about 15 minutes now and has developed a strong earthy tone. The wine is a little brickish in color, not the ruby red I normally see with younger wines. On the Napa Reserve someone noted that the wine is almost clear at the edges, and it is almost the same with this one.

The wine does have a bit of spice and bite to it, which really adds to the complexity of its character. It does have a really nice lingering flavor. It has a pleasurable amount of fruit on the palette, which they describe as plum and cranberries. I may be drinking out of the wrong type of glass, but the legs are not strong with this one.

It feels like a very delicate wine, and it does do very well at presenting itself. I would probably pair this with a spicier creamier dish.

I'm not sure how it works with the woot offerings, but OneHope donates some chunk of the profit to charities.

I hope that the wine can last a few days in the bottle! My drinking resumes on Thursday!

Neal K Bharadwaj

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven
nealkb wrote:The wine gods were generous enough to drop a Central Coast Reserve at my door. Unfortunately, my god(s) (Hindu), decided to have a week long worship with no meat or alcohol. That being said, I did a little PnP.

Straight out of the bottle, the nose was a little funky to me. Its been sitting for about 15 minutes now and has developed a strong earthy tone. The wine is a little brickish in color, not the ruby red I normally see with younger wines. On the Napa Reserve someone noted that the wine is almost clear at the edges, and it is almost the same with this one.

The wine does have a bit of spice and bite to it, which really adds to the complexity of its character. It does have a really nice lingering flavor. It has a pleasurable amount of fruit on the palette, which they describe as plum and cranberries. I may be drinking out of the wrong type of glass, but the legs are not strong with this one.

It feels like a very delicate wine, and it does do very well at presenting itself. I would probably pair this with a spicier creamier dish.

I'm not sure how it works with the woot offerings, but OneHope donates some chunk of the profit to charities.

I hope that the wine can last a few days in the bottle! My drinking resumes on Thursday!

Which of the four PNs did you
receive?

Edit: Duh, apparently reading would help.

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Nice to see some tasting notes again (really good ones too). Thanks for the efforts to all involved.

longjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longjohn

Can't really afford the $25 per bottle price right now but might be persuaded if someone could provide a listing of some of the non-profits that will benefit from the sales.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Sorry I didn't get these posted earlier, I actually fell asleep by midnight last night, YEAH and had to rush this morning to a couple of meetings.

Anyway, some tasting notes for the:
One Hope 2011 North Coast Pinot Noir Reserve

The wine gods have been good to me lately. Some hardcore CdP gifts from friends, a couple of Brunello's I was able to pick up at huge discount and a couple of surprise arrivals from gods that prefer anonymity to bible thumping;)

I was a little worried this PN wouldn't hold up to my Saturday Sushi plans, so I held off and made a little afternoon cheese, cracker, PN, & The Dream is Now viewing party for one. Needless to say, some salty tears were shed as well, it's really time we stop destroying lives and families, not to mention our country and economy, by deporting thousands upon thousands of people that contribute so positively to our country.

Anyway, I pop the cork and am hit with a funk I've never experienced before from a bottle of wine. I can only describe it as my ex-girlfriends weeks old gym socks she kept stuffed in her gym bag and would forget about. This was not a good start. My 'one hope' at this point was that I wouldn't have to drink it. Despite my allergies, I hold my nose and pour a glass. The wine is a ruby red, I'd like to say dark, but more of a medium, with minimal legs. The good news is I can breath again and somehow the gym socks have been washed in cherry tide. The change is so fast, I was truly astonished. As little afraid to taste it, I go for it and find a light wine with a slight touch of jamminess, high acidity, some tannins and a bunch of flavors and some new aromas I can't really place.

I decide to let the wine sit while I get some other things done. About 30 minutes later it's time to turn the TV one, drink some more, and nosh. The wine has opened up a bit. The aromas are more clearly definable now as cherry, vanilla, and spice. The flavors are red raspberry (the jamminess,) vanilla, and I'm still finding the acidity quite high. The wine is still pretty thin from start to finish and doesn't last very long. Get's over powered by even the weakest of cheeses like brie. If my novice tongue had to guess, I'd say the tannin structure is such that in 2 to 5 years this will become a bit more complex and start to show a nicer profile. I'd guess this is a $13-$15 per bottle shipped wine.

Right now it's drinking well enough as a stand alone. After a couple of years in the cellar it's would probably be good with some light foods such as fish or simply spiced meats. I disagree with the food recommendation on the bottle, but that's just IMHO.

Enjoy.

[EDIT: PS: A portion of what they take in does go to non-profit organizations, so that's always a huge plus when dealing with a business.]

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
longjohn wrote:Can't really afford the $25 per bottle price right now but might be persuaded if someone could provide a listing of some of the non-profits that will benefit from the sales.

If you click the Winery website link in Cesare's post above, and scroll down the page a bit... on the left-hand side is a list of the 14 causes they support. Each cause is a clickable link that names the charity involved and gives more information.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Any WWer's from Boston here's hoping you, family and friends are safe

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
fredrinaldi wrote:Any WWer's from Boston here's hoping you, family and friends are safe

Big +1.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen