kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
annapetrunis wrote:Why is there such a hype about Ardente Estate Winery?

They represent quite excellent values. And the '97 that was previously offered, and now the '96, are quite a treat. The ability to get aged CS for such a fair price is pretty awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
jonahp wrote:Yes. Fred got his own woot. That was well deserved and really fun. I'm happy to see by your post that I'm off the podium. I just talked a friend into three packs. I haven't tracked it, but if you add one degree of separation, I may hit triple figures.

thats some funny comments, it amazes me how this wine just sparks so many post and comments, its become the "Holy Grail" of wine woot.
I still get pms and messages about My own "Woot Plus"

c/o Carnivore Cab, discovered it this weekend, nice daily bottle

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

are these wines old world or new world style?

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

sphervey

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sphervey
fredrinaldi wrote:don't tempt me, I have a rep to defend round these parts buck-a-roo

The Cab King has spoken! I will now sit on my wallet out of respect. Of course if someone posts tasting notes on the 96 all bets are off!

fredrinaldi

darn, when checking out previous purchases in the "Stuff I bought" section, I noticed I have 20 pages of history, at 10 Items per page I'm almost at 200 woots, I need to attend a AA meeting tonight

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fredrinaldi wrote:darn, when checking out previous purchases in the "Stuff I bought" section, I noticed I have 20 pages of history, at 10 Items per page I'm almost at 200 woots, I need to attend a AA meeting tonight

I'll just give you a virtual hug and send you on your way. Happy sipping.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

annapetrunis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annapetrunis
fredrinaldi wrote:darn, when checking out previous purchases in the "Stuff I bought" section, I noticed I have 20 pages of history, at 10 Items per page I'm almost at 200 woots, I need to attend a AA meeting tonight

Oh My! Flying Guards! - Where do you keep all these bottles?

"Wine is bottled poetry" Robert Louis Stevenson

fredrinaldi

annapetrunis wrote:Oh My! Flying Guards! - Where do you keep all these bottles?

My stomach and the Pacific Ocean

kylemittskus

annapetrunis wrote:Oh My! Flying Guards! - Where do you keep all these bottles?

The longer you hang out here, the more wine you collect. We range, as a community, from 50-2,500 bottles. I'd guess most of us are in the 300 range.

annapetrunis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annapetrunis
kylemittskus wrote:The longer you hang out here, the more wine you collect. We range, as a community, from 50-2,500 bottles. I'd guess most of us are in the 300 range.

cool! now we need to start inviting each other for some wine & steak or cheese gatherings.

"Wine is bottled poetry" Robert Louis Stevenson

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
annapetrunis wrote:cool! now we need to start inviting each other for some wine & steak or cheese gatherings.

Already done. See the "Gatherings" and "World of Wine.Woot" sections of this message board.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

This ~USED~ to be visible on a single page that made searching quite simple, before the "troubles".
Some number of us have asked for that functionality to be restored.

ThunderThighs wrote:I'll just give you a virtual hug and send you on your way. Happy sipping.

What say TT?
The code monkeys ever gonna do something 'bout this?

CT

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Already done. See the "Gatherings" and "World of Wine.Woot" sections of this message board.

This really is quite a unique community it took me way too long to discover.

CT

forumc40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40
annapetrunis wrote:Why is there such a hype about Ardente Estate Winery?

Good call going with the 3&3. Ardente has been popping up on this page intermittently for the last several months with different deals and different vintages, so a lot of the people in this discussion have had some time to taste and compare them.
I'm not sure why they are so available, I first tried the '04 from a different website's deal, and when I saw others on this page I jumped on them. They are really good quality CA Cabs that for whatever reason (less known name? ugly label? etc.) have stayed out of the spotlight. But it sort of fits in with this page, as wine.woot has provided me with tons of good, great, and really great wines that I otherwise would never come across in IL. And $5 shipping is a sick deal compared to direct from any winery. Enjoy!

Ain't easy...

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:This really is quite a unique community it took me way too long to discover.

Yes, I was an almost-daily regular in the wine.woot product threads for close to 2 years before I even noticed the "world of woot wine" tab.

I remember wondering where all the old-timers had gone only to discover most of them chatting away in the other forums.

I wish some of them would pop into the product threads more often but it was nice to find out that many who I thought had disappeared were still around.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

Edit coming
Edit completed:
I opened up a bottle of the '96 last night. Here's what I found with my bottle.
PnP and put it into a decanter. Poured a bit into a Reidel red wine glass. Checked color against a piece of white paper and found it to be a light cranberry with brownish edges. I stuck my nose into the glass and found cedar, a little oak and very little fruit. SWMBO concurs with my initial assessment. Next the taste test. Weak cherry flavor with a finish of light orange or orange peel. Not acidic, relative smooth, but no full mouth feel. At this point, I'm thinking I need to let this open up, so I will leave it for about an hour and a half.

Next taste test reveals a little currant, some light licorice and a flat cola. SWMBO and I had a leftovers night of prime rib, Italian sausage and corn beef. (That's one way to clean out the frig by the weekend.) All of these paired ok with this wine. We found it easy to drink with or without food. It was not over or under-whelming

Final comments: This is the second time that I have tried an Ardente, the other being the '97. Both did not seem to be like the other reviewers notes, so at this point I am thinking that this is a wine that should be left to settle (i.e. travel shock) before it is opened after shipping. I noticed in another woot offer that some thought that a Pinot Noir does not do well with overnight shipping and opening the next day. This wine might also fall into that category. Normally, I wait a good 30 days before popping the cork on any wines that get shipped to me. At $20, or less, a bottle, this seems like a good wine to have in order to experience an aged cab, just let it rest for a month before opening and then let it decant for a couple of hours before enjoying.

jmpdelos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmpdelos

Me too, apparently. I'm at 60 Ardent and 27 pages of (mostly wine) woots. The cellar is pretty full :-)

I've certainly learned a lot from the forums and tasting since I joined in 2008 and appreciate all of those who take the time to post reviews and commentary.

Back to lurking...

Jeff

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

What vintage were those notes from? Sounds like the long lost 96...

kylemittskus

eluofthenine wrote:What vintage were those notes from? Sounds like the long lost 96...

The comparison to cmaldoon's notes makes me think it's the 07.

chipgreen

eluofthenine wrote:What vintage were those notes from? Sounds like the long lost 96...

I was thinking the '07 since he was contrasting his notes to those of cmaldoon, who tasted the '07.

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:The comparison to cmaldoon's notes makes me think it's the 07.

guess I owe u a coke

chipgreen

jmpdelos wrote:Me too, apparently. I'm at 60 Ardent and 27 pages of (mostly wine) woots. The cellar is pretty full :-)

I've certainly learned a lot from the forums and tasting since I joined in 2008 and appreciate all of those who take the time to post reviews and commentary.

Back to lurking...

Jeff

Hey Jeff, good to see you! Thanks again for sending me those InZins a couple years ago.

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:guess I owe u a coke

Pay up sucka!

fredrinaldi

Anyone want to tell the newbie about woot off's? That will blow their mind

rjquillin

Yes, the third musketeer with the '96 finally popped up.

CT

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:Pay up sucka!

Even though we were both wrong, lol....

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp
kylemittskus wrote:The longer you hang out here, the more wine you collect. We range, as a community, from 50-2,500 bottles. I'd guess most of us are in the 300 range.

Kyle, I was shooting for 500 bottles when I started "collecting". Now that 1000 is in the rearview mirror and I haven't bought a house, so building a cellar is impractical, I am probably more of a hoarder.

As for the community here, I think this is the closest thing to the old Cindy forum that exists on a flash site, but it doesn't quite have that family feel. For any of that old guard here (or current inmates) I'm jovino. Woot insists on real names so I couldn't keep the handle.

On a side note, the Mrs and I weren't really drinking tonight so we decided to open a gift wine. Morgan 12 Clones Pinot 2010, not bad, but I don't know how someone could spend $25 on such a meh wine when gems like these are around to be had at woot and others that shall not be named. For the record my favorite wines in the $25 flash sale pinot categories (a wine must have multiple recent offers to qualify) are Inman and Summerland.

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp
jmdavidson wrote:Final comments: This is the second time that I have tried an Ardente, the other being the '97. Both did not seem to be like the other reviewers notes, so at this point I am thinking that this is a wine that should be left to settle (i.e. travel shock) before it is opened after shipping. I noticed in another woot offer that some thought that a Pinot Noir does not do well with overnight shipping and opening the next day. This wine might also fall into that category. Normally, I wait a good 30 days before popping the cork on any wines that get shipped to me. At $20, or less, a bottle, this seems like a good wine to have in order to experience an aged cab, just let it rest for a month before opening and then let it decant for a couple of hours before enjoying.

I sounds like you gave the wine plenty of time, but your description sounds like the '97, before it has had 2-3 hours in the decanter. I don't know how I feel about bottle shock, but I try to give my wine 2 weeks to rest just in case.

fredrinaldi

ThunderThighs wrote:I'll just give you a virtual hug and send you on your way. Happy sipping.

from Thunderthighs I'm honored

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

In for an 07' set. Seems like a no-brainer.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
rjquillin wrote:What say TT?
The code monkeys ever gonna do something 'bout this?

I agree with your comment about the Stuff I Bought page. I have sent several suggestions asking for a simple filter so we can at least look at categories (Wine, Home, Sport, etc.). It hasn't happened, but I bet a lot of people would like to see it. How hard can it be? I hate going through pages and pages looking for a specific item I bought in the past, usually wine so I can read TNs when I'm ready to open a specific bottle.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Ardente 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon grande Riserva – Day two

This was kept in a split bottle sealed with a cork in the refrigerator overnight. I took it out of the refrigerator and warmed it slightly with lukewarm water before opening. Unlike last night where I had to reheat my dinner three times before eating it because I was trying to give you all a good tasting note, Tonight I ate my dinner first so this is the tasting note of the second glass.

Nose: the nose is not wafting as thoroughly as it was last night, it is down to a normal level. The hint of mint, still brings a cool sense to my nostrils and this is backed by that really dark cranberry (darker than cranberry but not yet truly cherry). A vanilla oak component is a touch more prevalent tonight but that only backs up the fruit. Between the mint and the cranberry, one can find a slightly earthier cedar note if one looks for it. Pretty consistent with last night if I recall correctly.

Palate: the palate has darkened slightly. The flavors have gone from dark cranberry right into cherry. The racy acidity from last night is still here, I feel it from start to finish. Tannins are still dry though softening very slightly towards chalky and there are still a ton of them. (Mmm!). Oak, in its slightly cedary vanilla form provides a great backdrop for the fruit. The finish once again sticks around for 15+ seconds and the tannins even longer!

Overall, I consider this very consistent with last night, albeit a half shade darker ( I think I like this better).

Off to purchase my second half case.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

Oh that's absurd, it wouldn't let me get 4 packs of the 2007. In that case ill have to settle for 8x2007, 2x2006, and 2x 1996

This brings me up to the paltry total of 24 bottles though good enough for a top 5 producer on my all time purchased list . (Wellington is tops at 53)

My Cellar

chipgreen

bolligra wrote:I agree with your comment about the Stuff I Bought page. I have sent several suggestions asking for a simple filter so we can at least look at categories (Wine, Home, Sport, etc.). It hasn't happened, but I bet a lot of people would like to see it. How hard can it be? I hate going through pages and pages looking for a specific item I bought in the past, usually wine so I can read TNs when I'm ready to open a specific bottle.

+11

cmaldoon

I'll be here nursing my last glass and able to answer questions. In the mean time, I'm returning to my wonderful book by Gene Kranz

My Cellar

chipgreen

cmaldoon wrote:I'll be here nursing my last glass and able to answer questions. In the mean time, I'm returning to my wonderful book by Gene Kranz

Thanks for the awesome notes!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

How do these compare to the legendary Corison cabs? What about Meeker? Both of these were praised by many of you so just curious if you consider Ardente in that category. I m not a big can drinker (more of a Rhine, zin drinker) but had the 2001 ardente
LAst week and enjoyed it.

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:I just added six '03's..

Carp, even I'm considering adding the 6 pack mixer. I really shouldn't though...storage is full in both locations and we're not going through bottles as quickly as would be needed for this. I'll hope they 96 and 07 return in a couple months when I may have more space.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

losthighwayz wrote:How do these compare to the legendary Corison cabs? What about Meeker? Both of these were praised by many of you so just curious if you consider Ardente in that category. I m not a big can drinker (more of a Rhine, zin drinker) but had the 2001 ardente
LAst week and enjoyed it.

These aren't as complex as Corison and have a slightly brighter tone. Value wise though these are like a $30-$40 bottle of Corison.

I like this better than the meeker kiss ridge 2004 (the only meeker I've tried). I have been disappointed by the 2 bottles of that I have tried so far. There is more complexity and concentration it seems on the ardente.

My Cellar

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
cmaldoon wrote:These aren't as complex as Corison and have a slightly brighter tone. Value wise though these are like a $30-$40 bottle of Corison.

I like this better than the meeker kiss ridge 2004 (the only meeker I've tried). I have been disappointed by the 2 bottles of that I have tried so far. There is more complexity and concentration it seems on the ardente.

Thanks. This helps.

"The older I get the better I was"