North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm just wondering why it was the 2007 that was given out, when it was the 1996 that everyone was curious about....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Ok, for all you value mongers out there:

This wine is very good, beyond solid. Is it in the top tier of reserve napa cabs? (Like beringer private reserve or Juslyn) No.

I, who will buy most anything that is promising at $20 (if I have space) would buy this at $30 or $40. At the winery retail of $45 it is fair, if not a tremendous value. I am likely in for a case even though My locker is filled to the brim.

At $22 shipped for this fantastic vintage, showing this much complexity, and this much aging potential...STEAL

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

2 hours of air:

Color: What, you expected the color to change???

Nose: Mint over cedary cranberry jelly with a continued hint of smoke or musk. This is the most distinctly I have ever sensed the mint character. Often it is like eucalyptus to me. This is definitely mint.

Palate: Still a beautiful mouthwatering acidity on the front before the dark cranberries cascade in. The parsley green note has deepened to a chive and the floral chocolate from the nose earlier is here on the palate now.

The tannins are grippy, dry but not biting and the oak still takes the back seat, not heard from until the finish. The finish is still there, subtle but extended. I can feel the flavors still there as I breathe.

Yeah... Peak at 15-20 years. This is a long wine.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

Poured the 2nd half of my bottle into a split. I'll pop it out again tomorrow night.

My Cellar

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I was pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of 2006 Ardente waiting for me when I got home!

PnP
Cork was in near perfect condition; about 1/4 inch of seepage up the side of the cork. I did notice some sediment in the shoulder of the bottle; which is expected from a wine with age on it. (I only mention it because somebody asked cmaldoon about sediment earlier).

Color: Very deep ruby; nearly opaque at the core but clear at the edges. It doesn't have brilliant clarity, but a very clean look.

Nose: Some heat on the nose, which I haven't noticed before with Ardente. Blueberries, blackberries, green olive, cedar, earth, black pepper, vanilla and coffee. This is an aromatic wine, the aromas jump out of the glass; a very nice complex assortment of aromas!

Palate: Nice acidic attack up front; would definitely be food friendly. Medium-full bodied. Blackberry and plum on the mid-palate with grippy tannin. Blackberry, espresso and a touch of pepper on the finish. The finish lingers for 15-20 seconds which is very nice.

I drank this glass over the course of a hour and it only improved over time. The heat disappeared rather quickly, <10 minutes. Menthol and rose pedal started poking through at this time. As time passed, the aromas and flavors integrated and gave this wine a nice finesse. A solid value at this price!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Added 6 bottles this morning to the "Collection"

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

I hope someone received a bottle of the '96 to sample. I'm on the fence and need a push!

Very interested considering the winemaker appears to be the same as the '97, Philippe Melka (though still not confirmed?). I really enjoyed the '97, ridiculous QPR imo. Melka has quite the pedigree that you can explore if you do a simple google search. Here is a recent article posted about him in March of 2012:

Powers of Two

And a quick Bio:

Philippe Melka - Profile

Vineyard 29, Bryant, Seavey, Quintessa, etc. He also releases wine under his Melka label, though bottles run about 4-7 times the amount of this Ardente offer! The Melka Metisse St. Emilion Grand Cru looks especially interesting...and pricey.

annapetrunis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annapetrunis

Hi guys, I am new to this site and new to buying wine.
As i've read and noticed 2007 was the best year for Napa, so why no one is discussing 2007, but 1996 and 2006?
This site has $5 shipping, so for 6 bottles $121 is not bad if 2007 is the best one.
thanks

"Wine is bottled poetry" Robert Louis Stevenson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
annapetrunis wrote:Hi guys, I am new to this site and new to buying wine.
As i've read and noticed 2007 was the best year for Napa, so why no one is discussing 2007, but 1996 and 2006?
This site has $5 shipping, so for 6 bottles $121 is not bad if 2007 is the best one.
thanks

Welcome! The reviews above by cmaldoon are about the 07. The review by ajrod is about the 06. And indeed, 07 was a great year for Napa CS. There's so much discussion about the '96 because we have been offered the '97 many times and it was enjoyed by most. Being the oldest Ardente we've been offered, it is possibly the largest gamble but possibly the best deal since it's already so well aged. That's why we're all so curious.

Buy the 07! It sounds like you won't be disappointed from what cmaldoon has said.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jonahp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonahp
annapetrunis wrote:Hi guys, I am new to this site and new to buying wine.
thanks

2007 was a great year, but so were '06 and '96. One of the things that always amazes me is the facination the wine world has with the latest great vintage (or "vintage of the century of the week" as I like to call them). I suspect my storage problems are more serious than most, but from my experience, Ardente is best with some age on it, so if I can buy 11 years of cellar age for free, how do I not buy the '96? That said, most california wines are made to be enjoyed young which may be the case with these new releases from Ardente. My advice, especially if you're just getting into wine, is to pick up the '96 and drink a bottle over a 3+ hour period. It will be a great experience. For the record, Wine Spectator rated the '07 napa vintage a 97, '06 got 95, and '96 was a 96.

jonahp

OK, I guess I had to take my own advice. In for three on the '96. Fred, that gets my Ardente count to 45 (purchased, not in inventory). What's your number big guy?

fredrinaldi

jonahp wrote:OK, I guess I had to take my own advice. In for three on the '96. Fred, that gets my Ardente count to 45 (purchased, not in inventory). What's your number big guy?

51 since 10/8 might jump on 1 more 07 after the 97 point comment on here

annapetrunis

ok guys, you got me totally confused now (in a good way).
kylemittskus says 2007
jonahp sayd 1996
so maybe 3 of 1996 and 3 of 2007?

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Man, I don't see the hold up here on the 96' info. Seems to me either the winery gets on the board, (the fact that they haven't when I know WD has contacted them exhibits an indifference level that is off putting,) or the magical bottle elves would have delivered one when it seems that they made it a point to put out the other two vintages that people weren't as interested in.

It's the one people want to know the most about, and it's the biggest gamble. If we had any accurate info to begin with then maybe I'd feel more confident in grabbing some up. As it stands I can't woot until I hear something more substantial. With the level of general awesomeness around here, I'm surprised that the ball has been dropped on this one.

forumc40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40
annapetrunis wrote:ok guys, you got me totally confused now (in a good way).
kylemittskus says 2007
jonahp sayd 1996

I think that's a great idea, and a good way to learn what some time in the bottle does to a wine. I've had the 97, 01, 02, and 04 so far, and there's no doubt these wines are a steal for the price.

Ain't easy...

jonahp

eluofthenine wrote:Man, I don't see the hold up here on the 96' info. Seems to me either the winery gets on the board, (the fact that they haven't when I know WD has contacted them exhibits an indifference level that is off putting,) or the magical bottle elves would have delivered one when it seems that they made it a point to put out the other two vintages that people weren't as interested in.

It's the one people want to know the most about, and it's the biggest gamble. If we had any accurate info to begin with then maybe I'd feel more confident in grabbing some up. As it stands I can't woot until I hear something more substantial. With the level of general awesomeness around here, I'm surprised that the ball has been dropped on this one.

+1 on all you said, but here's my workaround. If the wine is oxidized and over the hill, wine woot will get you a refund. If the wine is still good, it's going to be at worst a good deal @$20 per and at best the total steal that the '97's were, a great dinner party gift, and a great conversation piece as a look into the rock star as a young man (Melka). That said, this is Ardente, so you are very likely to get a second look at these wines. By the time the next offer roles around, you can get tasting notes from me and Fred and buy with some confidence.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
annapetrunis wrote:ok guys, you got me totally confused now (in a good way).
kylemittskus says 2007
jonahp sayd 1996

Why don't you get the 6-pack that has 2 each of '96, '06 and '07?

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine
jonahp wrote:+1 on all you said, but here's my workaround. If the wine is oxidized and over the hill, wine woot will get you a refund. If the wine is still good, it's going to be at worst a good deal @$20 per and at best the total steal that the '97's were, a great dinner party gift, and a great conversation piece as a look into the rock star as a young man (Melka). That said, this is Ardente, so you are very likely to get a second look at these wines. By the time the next offer roles around, you can get tasting notes from me and Fred and buy with some confidence.

Your logic is overwhelming me with indecision....

fredrinaldi

fredrinaldi wrote:51 since 10/8 might jump on 1 more 07 after the 97 point comment on here

Just picked up another 3 2007's

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

Did anyone pick up any of the '03 when WTSO offered it last year in May, July or Sept for $20/btl?
Unknown to me at the time I missed all three offerings.

CT

rjquillin

fredrinaldi wrote:51 since 10/8 might jump on 1 more 07 after the 97 point comment on here

And I thought I was excessive at 46.

CT

jonahp

rjquillin wrote:And I thought I was excessive at 46.

I guess I overstated my #2 ranking with 45. How did you end up with 46? Did these ever sell in multiples other than 3?

annapetrunis

forumc40 wrote:I think that's a great idea, and a good way to learn what some time in the bottle does to a wine. I've had the 97, 01, 02, and 04 so far, and there's no doubt these wines are a steal for the price.

i just ordered 3 & 3. very excited.
thanks

rjquillin

jonahp wrote:I guess I overstated my #2 ranking with 45. How did you end up with 46? Did these ever sell in multiples other than 3?

Mixed lots of three were offered, one each '97, '01 and '02. Got a total of seven of those, seven three lots of single vintage and a four lot single vintage, the '04 from WL. Missed the WTSO '03 offering.

CT

fredrinaldi

annapetrunis wrote:i just ordered 3 & 3. very excited.
thanks

Another Jedi to the "Dark side"

you won't be dissapointed

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I'm just wondering why it was the 2007 that was given out, when it was the 1996 that everyone was curious about....

That is the question du jour.

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:That is the question du jour.

I'm guessing based on WD's comments earlier that one was... I would be shocked if this was untrue. The real question is who's slackin'.

annapetrunis

fredrinaldi wrote:Another Jedi to the "Dark side"

you won't be dissapointed

I hope so. When do they usually ship? I have a very good cheese that I want to try with this 1996 wine.

kylemittskus

annapetrunis wrote:I hope so. When do they usually ship? I have a very good cheese that I want to try with this 1996 wine.

Depends where you are, but expect up to 2-3 weeks. And stick around! Always good wine and conversation around these parts.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey
fredrinaldi wrote:Just picked up another 3 2007's

I'm at 51. If you got another 3 then you're at 54. Are prizes being awarded???????????

jonahp

sphervey wrote:I'm at 51. If you got another 3 then you're at 54. Are prizes being awarded???????????

Yes. Fred got his own woot. That was well deserved and really fun. I'm happy to see by your post that I'm off the podium. I just talked a friend into three packs. I haven't tracked it, but if you add one degree of separation, I may hit triple figures.

annapetrunis

kylemittskus wrote:Depends where you are, but expect up to 2-3 weeks. And stick around! Always good wine and conversation around these parts.

thanks, i'll stick around - always nice to have a conversation. I used to buy on WTSO and have not been disappointed yet and I like that I get the wine 2-3 days after I've bought it, but here I can even ask about the vintages, so this is much better.

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

in for 2 of the mixed 6 pack and will compliment my 1997 (5) and 2002 (5) very nicely!

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

rjquillin

I just added six '03's..

CT

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey
rjquillin wrote:I just added six '03's..

I'll see your six and raise you . . . WAIT I HAVE TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
sphervey wrote:I'm at 51. If you got another 3 then you're at 54. Are prizes being awarded???????????

I'm not even in the running at 37 bottles and thought I had a lot of it!...1996-3, 1997-15, 2001-6, 2002-10, and 2007-3

rjquillin

WD, Neil; is the '96 going to remain a flyer for us, wrt any additional info and/or TN's?

CT

fredrinaldi

annapetrunis wrote:I hope so. When do they usually ship? I have a very good cheese that I want to try with this 1996 wine.

I'm in California and mine ship between 7 & 10 days

annapetrunis

bobrush12866 wrote:I'm not even in the running at 37 bottles and thought I had a lot of it!...1996-3, 1997-15, 2001-6, 2002-10, and 2007-3

Why is there such a hype about Ardente Estate Winery?

fredrinaldi

don't tempt me, I have a rep to defend round these parts buck-a-roo