Gård Vintners Columbia Valley Freyja White Wine Case
$99.99 $̶2̶0̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 51% off List Price
2010 Freyja White Wine, Columbia Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pimpjuice2272

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pimpjuice2272

Im pretty new to wine woot and I just want to say thank you to all you commenters! I am opening a beer/wine bar and I have an idea I am going to try. I am going to have a room with various wines to choose from. You pay a certain price point (depends on inventory but probably about $25-30). You will then get a certain amount of time (Im thinking about 2 - 5 mins) to choose any bottle you like. If you know your wine you will be able to find some great deals. Im stating this because over the past few weeks, I have read almost all of your comments and they have been the sole deciding factor on whether I purchase the deal of the day or not. Once again THANK YOU for all your input and notes on the wines. I have copied a few of them for descriptions of the wines that will be purchased by my customers. Having said that, would you recommend todays deal?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pimpjuice2272 wrote:Im pretty new to wine woot and I just want to say thank you to all you commenters! .... Having said that, would you recommend todays deal?

Welcome. Looks like people went to bed early tonight. Be sure to check back later in the day for some more comments.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pimpjuice2272

ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome. Looks like people went to bed early tonight. Be sure to check back later in the day for some more comments.

Yeah most of my purchases are made the next day when everyone have given their opinion. I owe you a big Thank You. You give some great information about a lot of wine (not saying you are an alcoholic). Very informative.

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
pimpjuice2272 wrote:Im pretty new to wine woot and I just want to say thank you to all you commenters! I am opening a beer/wine bar and I have an idea I am going to try. I am going to have a room with various wines to choose from. You pay a certain price point (depends on inventory but probably about $25-30). You will then get a certain amount of time (Im thinking about 2 - 5 mins) to choose any bottle you like. If you know your wine you will be able to find some great deals. Im stating this because over the past few weeks, I have read almost all of your comments and they have been the sole deciding factor on whether I purchase the deal of the day or not. Once again THANK YOU for all your input and notes on the wines. I have copied a few of them for descriptions of the wines that will be purchased by my customers. Having said that, would you recommend todays deal?

My apologies for sounding rude, but I’ve been an entrepreneur too long to be sparing on my advice about startups. The idea, at least as I read it, sounds terrible. I only say this as I’m probably the demo you’re aiming for and I can’t think of a reason why I’d pay $25-30 for a bottle of $15 wine to drink in a wine bar. Not to mention the pressure of having to decide quickly. And if you're providing the occasional $50 bottle for the "great deal", you'd have to offset the cost with $5 offerings. That would make it even riskier for the customer and set them up for having an unpleasant experience.

Sure, I’d buy the $15 bottle for $25 at a restaurant if I were sharing the bottle with friends, and be drinking over a period of time with a meal. But as I understand your business model, everyone would have to pay the “cover charge”. Alternatively, I’d pay $25-30 for four glasses of wine at a wine bar, because I like variety. But for a single bottle, forget it. Hopefully, you’ve conducted your market research thoroughly and have ample evidence to support your biz model. After all, unsolicited advice is usually worth what you paid for it. :-) Best of luck to you.

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

We bought a case of this last year - 2009 vintage, so not the exact same. Overall, it was decent, but nothing spectacular.

Looking through my private notes in CT it appears this paired pretty well with Asian dishes. We had it with potstickers, soft rolls, Pad Thai, and pan-roasted chicken in sherry sauce... and all those combinations got positive marks.

Don't know that I'd go in blind on a whole case but it might be a perfect offer to split with a friend (or two!) if you're at all interested.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

jackiecanev2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jackiecanev2

For those who will be looking, this appears to be:

78% Roussanne
17% Riesling
5% Viognier

12.5g/L residual sugar
8.1g/L titratable acid
pH: 3.3
13.9% alcohol

And with that said, it sounds interesting and, according to Riesling (only) profiles, this would be on the medium-sweet end - however, I've seen plenty-a-rousanne in the 1.2% RS range characterized as off-dry. This may be on the cusp of my sweetness level.

Anyone had a chance to try this?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jackiecanev2 wrote:For those who will be looking, this appears to be:

78% Roussanne
17% Riesling
5% Viognier

12.5g/L residual sugar
8.1g/L titratable acid
13.9% alcohol

And with that said, it sounds interesting and, according to Riesling (only) profiles, this would be on the medium-sweet end - however, I've seen plenty-a-rousanne in the 1.2% RS range characterized as off-dry. This may be on the cusp of my sweetness level.

Also keep in mind that this blend is quite different than the 2009, which was:

Blend:
49% Roussanne,
42% Riesling,
9% Pinot Gris
Alcohol: 13.5%
Production: 200 cases

I really enjoyed the 09 but am sad to see less riesling in this blend. There was some extensive discussion about this wine in the plus deal a few weeks ago. They now have a new winemaker since the 2009 vintage and this blend is changing significantly. I believe it was mentioned that the 2011 was almost all Viognier. If this was closer in blend to the 2009, I would be in for a case without a second guess, but will probably pass on this.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

p2367

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p2367
North316 wrote:Also keep in mind that this blend is quite different than the 2009, which was:

Blend:
49% Roussanne,
42% Riesling,
9% Pinot Gris
Alcohol: 13.5%
Production: 200 cases

I really enjoyed the 09 but am sad to see less riesling in this blend. There was some extensive discussion about this wine in the plus deal a few weeks ago. They now have a new winemaker since the 2009 vintage and this blend is changing significantly. I believe it was mentioned that the 2011 was almost all Viognier. If this was closer in blend to the 2009, I would be in for a case without a second guess, but will probably pass on this.

Yes, I'm not finding much(anything?) about the 2010. Wine Enthusiast gives the 2011 87 pts, while Cellar Tracker gives the 2009 82 pts. Given the difference in blend for all three years, I can't find a way to remotely guess whether I'd like this one or not. No case for me.

Mattskimz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mattskimz
nfurlong wrote:My apologies for sounding rude, but I’ve been an entrepreneur too long to be sparing on my advice about startups. The idea, at least as I read it, sounds terrible. I only say this as I’m probably the demo you’re aiming for and I can’t think of a reason why I’d pay $25-30 for a bottle of $15 wine to drink in a wine bar. Not to mention the pressure of having to decide quickly. And if you're providing the occasional $50 bottle for the "great deal", you'd have to offset the cost with $5 offerings. That would make it even riskier for the customer and set them up for having an unpleasant experience.

Sure, I’d buy the $15 bottle for $25 at a restaurant if I were sharing the bottle with friends, and be drinking over a period of time with a meal. But as I understand your business model, everyone would have to pay the “cover charge”. Alternatively, I’d pay $25-30 for four glasses of wine at a wine bar, because I like variety. But for a single bottle, forget it. Hopefully, you’ve conducted your market research thoroughly and have ample evidence to support your biz model. After all, unsolicited advice is usually worth what you paid for it. :-) Best of luck to you.

I think its a great idea, actually. Or I should say an idea you could definitely make work. The idea is only a small part of a successful business. I agree that some of the points nfurlong makes, but these are things that you can get around. For example I agree it would be silly if you made everyone that came in the door get a bottle and pay the $25, simply because that would mean if 4 people come in they would be sitting there with four bottles of wine and they probably only wanted two. However, you could easily just allow people to specify how many they want (so not like a cover charge). I think your plan, in order to be successful, needs some type of food. All in all, you can definitely make it work.

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
sdilullo wrote:Don't know that I'd go in blind on a whole case but it might be a perfect offer to split with a friend (or two!) if you're at all interested.

If only this had been offered 10+ days ago, it would have arrived in time for the Wooster gathering. I would definitely be interested in splitting (especially 3 ways) but unless WD can send this to Ohio with Scott Harvey, guess I am also out. Even if my cellar wasn't overflowing with wine I don't drink enough of it to buy it by the case unless it's something I've already tried.

pimpjuice2272

nfurlong wrote:My apologies for sounding rude, but I’ve been an entrepreneur too long to be sparing on my advice about startups. The idea, at least as I read it, sounds terrible...
Sure, I’d buy the $15 bottle for $25 at a restaurant if I were sharing the bottle with friends, and be drinking over a period of time with a meal. But as I understand your business model, everyone would have to pay the “cover charge”...After all, unsolicited advice is usually worth what you paid for it. :-) Best of luck to you.

I appreciate your input. In general, I prefer to know what Im doing wrong rather than what Im doing right. As a fellow entrepreneur you know every market is different. In the town I live in (central florida) people pay $23+ for a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel (in the store its about $8). There are few places in this town to actually get a variety of wine. As a former (I guess technically still current) bartender, I have seen countless people pick wines based solely on the name (it sounds cool), label or simply because it was the closest to them.

I want to believe replying to this will somehow lead to more knowledge but lets be real, its just words that are justifying what Im gonna do regardless of any advice. lol

(going back into the shadows of the wine woot message board where I will study all your notes like a borderline creeper)

pimpjuice2272

Sorry one last point on the "idea", This isnt you pay $25 to get in the bar. This is something if you are filling adventurous and want to try something new with friends. There will still be a wine menu where you pay the typical market value for wine by the bottle and by the glass. Just think of the "idea" as an addition to the bar. Something to break up the monotony of typical bars.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I went in on this, but would prefer to split the order. Anyone interested let me know. Seattle area.

lisat5

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lisat5
jackiecanev2 wrote:For those who will be looking, this appears to be:

78% Roussanne
17% Riesling
5% Viognier

12.5g/L residual sugar
8.1g/L titratable acid
13.9% alcohol

Hi folks - thanks for your interest in our 2010 Freyja. Yes, there is a detectable sweetness to this wine, but it's not overly sweet and balances nicely with higher acid levels. See our spec sheet at http://www.gardvintners.com/2010_Freyja.pdf. This is a very food-friendly wine and will make for a nice summer sipper.

InspectorLookout

quality posts: 0 Private Messages InspectorLookout
noslensj wrote:I went in on this, but would prefer to split the order. Anyone interested let me know. Seattle area.

I'll split it with ya, I'm in Seattle.

soundmind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soundmind

This winery shipped to Maryland a few weeks back. Perhaps the wineries license expired in the interim, but why isn't it shipping to Maryland this time?

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

I'm so on the fence with this one...I'm in desperate need of summer whites, but the info/input on this offer seems to be sorely lacking....bring back the Rats!

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

lisat5

soundmind wrote:This winery shipped to Maryland a few weeks back. Perhaps the wineries license expired in the interim, but why isn't it shipping to Maryland this time?

Yes, sorry - we are currently unable to ship to Maryland. My apologies!

lisat5

83fxwg wrote:I'm so on the fence with this one...I'm in desperate need of summer whites, but the info/input on this offer seems to be sorely lacking....bring back the Rats!

If you're in need of a great summer white, the 2010 Freyja will not disappoint. And for $99.99 it's a great deal!

Winemaker's Tasting Notes: Pale straw in color, the nose begins with white blossoms and raw honey backed by a hint of melon rind. Swirling releases pear and honeysuckle with marcona almonds. The palate is rich, broad and balanced, offering a creamy texture that balances the acid nicely. A hint of residual sugar is apparent on the palate, but it adds weight and leads the wine to the finish. This wine can go with almost any food, with the exception of the heaviest of meats because of the great acidity and the weight on the palate.

supercanary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supercanary
pimpjuice2272 wrote:I appreciate your input. In general, I prefer to know what Im doing wrong rather than what Im doing right. As a fellow entrepreneur you know every market is different. In the town I live in (central florida) people pay $23+ for a bottle of Beringer White Zinfandel (in the store its about $8). There are few places in this town to actually get a variety of wine. As a former (I guess technically still current) bartender, I have seen countless people pick wines based solely on the name (it sounds cool), label or simply because it was the closest to them.

I want to believe replying to this will somehow lead to more knowledge but lets be real, its just words that are justifying what Im gonna do regardless of any advice. lol

(going back into the shadows of the wine woot message board where I will study all your notes like a borderline creeper)

If your demographic is the type that drinks white zin, what makes you think that a wine bar with some level of sophistication to it will work?

Wine bars seem to be a fad. I've seen a few here in the Bay Area come and go.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared
83fxwg wrote:I'm so on the fence with this one...I'm in desperate need of summer whites, but the info/input on this offer seems to be sorely lacking....bring back the Rats!

Yeah... the general demise of wine.woot.com as Amazon painstakingly dismantles a good idea into a run of the mill discussion.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
supercanary wrote:If your demographic is the type that drinks white zin, what makes you think that a wine bar with some level of sophistication to it will work?

Wine bars seem to be a fad. I've seen a few here in the Bay Area come and go.

Take it to the pub.

This thread is for today's offer and Lisa has been around for questions. I've still got nearly a case from the last mixed case offering to drink up and rather would have liked to see some variety here as well, but not this time...

CT

lisat5

rjquillin wrote:Take it to the pub.

This thread is for today's offer and Lisa has been around for questions. I've still got nearly a case from the last mixed case offering to drink up and rather would have liked to see some variety here as well, but not this time...

Thanks, everyone. I'm here for the next hour if you need me.

We choose to offer the Freyja as a stand-alone due to popular request from Wooters. More variety next time, I'm sure.

Cheers to all!

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
lisat5 wrote:Thanks, everyone. I'm here for the next hour if you need me.

We choose to offer the Freyja as a stand-alone due to popular request from Wooters. More variety next time, I'm sure.

Cheers to all!

With all the chatter last time I can understand why. Perhaps the change in blending altered the dynamic a bit. You may have addressed this already, and I think you had a change in winemakers as well, but could you review for those of us with short memories?

CT

lisat5

rjquillin wrote:With all the chatter last time I can understand why. Perhaps the change in blending altered the dynamic a bit. You may have addressed this already, and I think you had a change in winemakers as well, but could you review for those of us with short memories?

Sure thing! The Freyja has been in transition since it started with the first vintage in 2009 (Roussanne/Riesling/Pinot Gris). The 2010, of course, leaned heavier to the Roussanne, still included Riesling, but added a little Viognier; this direction is where we'd like to see the Freyja find it's final resting place - as a Rhone blend. We excel at Riesling at our estate vineyard, but prefer to keep that as a stand-alone varietal, and see the Freyja blend excelling in the Viognier/Roussanne combination. In 2011, it's 80% Viognier/20% Roussanne.

We changed winemakers in 2011 to Aryn Morell (so Aryn did the final blending on the 2010 Freyja), and it was within that timeframe that we decided to official head toward the Rhone direction for this wine specifically. As 100% estate wine, we felt this was the best direction for these grapes and for this wine.

Lots more to come from Gard - please follow us on Facebook or Twitter to stay informed. facebook.com/gardvintners or twitter.com/gardvintners. Thanks!