WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Tell us a story about the best wine experience you ever had.
  • 44.1% - No, I refuse. 448
  • 3.9% - Okay. I’ll see you in the comments! 40
  • 52% - I have no such story but I look forward to reading the stories of others. 529
1017 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

The night we drank a Chateau 1947 Cheval Blanc, a 1950 Chateau Latour a Pomerol and a 1961 Chateau Lafleur. I am not sure how I managed to get lucky enough in my life to do that but I sure did enjoy the experience and I will never forget it.

My dogs like me, that is important.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

I was in the Army, 1975, Germany.
I took a date to Heidelberg.
We bought a bottle of the local Riesling, and drank it at the base of the castle located there.
The view, the wine, and excellent company!
Romantic!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Let's just say the statute of limitations has not yet expired.

I remember it like it was yesterday... An irregularly warm summer evening, late. It was the end of our first date and it unexpectedly started raining. She was wearing a green suede dress and didn't want to have it ruined by the rain. We ran to the first place with an open door and it turned out to be a mom-and-pop corner store. We found a Château Lafite Rothschild Bordeaux on the cheap and knew we had to buy it. After picking up an umbrella, we braved the journey back to her place for a nightcap.

As we dried off at her place, I was eyeing that slender green figure, almost begging, wordlessly, to be in my mouth. I could tell she was thinking the same thing. With the smallest sense of guilt, knowing what was about to come, I thought to myself how lucky I was to find that very special vintage in the middle of nowhere. We decided we had to open it right away. I tore off the top and tried to stick my fingers in there to get it started. She reminded me that she had a special tool to get it ready for me. I stuck it in and gave it some hearty twists and thrusts as beads of sweat started to form on my brow. Until finally...it popped. It happened with such a force, a little bit got on myself as well as her. She licked it off of both of us. She told me that I would go first because I worked so hard. We each took a smell, then took a small sampling, teasing ourselves with almost enough on our lips and tongue. By then we were both salivating in anticipation. I tasted it first. There were notes of ripe fruit--peach, perhaps--but with a soft, earthy spiciness. She trembled with excitement and I knew it was her turn shortly. I made one last effort and when I was done, I made sure no drop remained. I wanted to savor that flavor and I still remember the taste to this day.

Then we opened the wine.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
ardubu wrote:I was in the Army, 1975, Germany.
I took a date to Heidelberg.
We bought a bottle of the local Riesling, and drank it at the base of the castle located there.
The view, the wine, and excellent company!
Romantic!

I spent 7 years in Heidelberg with HQ USAREUR. Having a bottle of wine at the castle with the beautiful view is definitely an incredibly romantic experience.

My dogs like me, that is important.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

K Vintners' K-Syrah from wine.woot. Silly name, but a cracking good wine. Feature them again, wine.woot purveyors!

so, not really a story, per se.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Whew...
After reading the other stories...
My bota-bag of Carlo Rossi rose at a Pink Floyd concert...
San Diego... 1970 maybe...
A nice girlfriend...
Ahhh, the good 'ol days...

julesdzi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julesdzi

Korean Pinot Noir

One balmy evening, after running my dogs in Patterson Park (Baltimore), I came across a neighbor who was carrying her groceries into her row home. She said hello. I said hello. She commented that I hadn't been around much and I mentioned that I had been working a lot (new job, etc.). She invited me in for a glass of wine. I had my dogs with me, two rambunctious labs and I politely declined. She insisted and wanted me to look at their new kitchen renovation. That piqued my curiosity, as I was planning a kitchen renovation. As I was entering the row home, her husband came home. He obviously had been drinking as he had the glazed over look in his eyes. He eyed me up and down and said, "Are you Korean? I just love Korean women!" I stammered, uh no, my mother is Japanese, my father is American. I'm actually from Indiana. His wife looked horrified and I was really uncomfortable and I thought to myself, check out the kitchen and get the hell out! We entered the kitchen and she said, "would you like some wine?" I politely declined, not wanting to prolong my visit. She insisted, "It's really a lovely pinot noir. Alan and I went to France earlier this year and you're only allowed to bring back a few bottles. It's our last." Pinot Noir? From France? Really? My brain said, no thanks, but my mouth said, oh why not? So, they pour a glass of wine, BIG GLASS, of wine. It really was a very nice pour. I think to myself, gulp it down and get out, as Alan eyed me again,"Are you sure you're not Korean? I was stationed in Korea and I swear you look Korean!" Again, I just didn't know what to say other than, ah yeah, I'm pretty sure. His wife then said, come out back, we just landscaped our back yard and I would love to show you what we did! I reluctantly went out back, my dogs were in the back. As I was trying to gulp down this very large glass of wine, my one lab started humping their tiny maltese dog. I was so uncomfortable but couldn't force myself to gulp, the wine was so good. We controlled the animals and my head was spinning as it was a hot evening, I had just come back from a run and was dehydrated and drinking wine. I just finished my glass of wine (smoky and earthy with hints of berries, amazing!)and was ready to get out as the husband said again, "I really love Korean women, beautiful women, so accommodating, best time of my life when I was stationed in Korea." I was so uncomfortable and uneasy about being there. I stood up, thanked them for the wine and was ready to get the hell out of that freak fest, when wife stood up and said, oh no, don't leave until you help us finish this bottle. Would you like another glass? I was horrified and I was not about to say yes as my brain was screaming at me to leave. Of course, of course, I held up my hand to stop her from pouring, but my. mouth. said. "Absolutely!"

laeggerichs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laeggerichs

Shared a bottle of wine at the bell tower in my town overlooking the Puget Sound with a charming gentleman I met that night salsa dancing. No glasses, just sipping from the bottle and serenading each other in both Spanish and English.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
daveinwarshington wrote:Whew...
After reading the other stories...
My bota-bag of Carlo Rossi rose at a Pink Floyd concert...
San Diego... 1970 maybe...
A nice girlfriend...
Ahhh, the good 'ol days...

This was at UCSD, 1970 outdoors, and later at an indoor venue, 1971. I did sound for both the UCSD and at the Exhibit hall concerts PF did here in the 70's. Fittingly, a local band, Dry Creek Road, opened. Small world.

CT

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench

Nothing near the fancier stories, but when I got my first bottle of Tytanium. I just *had* to call a friend several states away. I had sent him a bottle, too. We've never met in person, but we'll always share a deep love for Tytanium!

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

trek988

quality posts: 2 Private Messages trek988

The best wine comes in a box.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

The first time I got the Perfect food/wine pairing. A bottle of Zin Alley from Paso Robles and a weird sorta Asian rib sauce. My wife decided the only thing wrong with the meal was the bottle was empty..........

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
julesdzi wrote:Korean Pinot Noir

One balmy evening, after running my dogs in Patterson Park (Baltimore), I came across a neighbor who was carrying her groceries into her row home. She said hello. I said hello. She commented that I hadn't been around much and I mentioned that I had been working a lot (new job, etc.). She invited me in for a glass of wine. I had my dogs with me, two rambunctious labs and I politely declined. She insisted and wanted me to look at their new kitchen renovation. That piqued my curiosity, as I was planning a kitchen renovation. As I was entering the row home, her husband came home. He obviously had been drinking as he had the glazed over look in his eyes. He eyed me up and down and said, "Are you Korean? I just love Korean women!" I stammered, uh no, my mother is Japanese, my father is American. I'm actually from Indiana. His wife looked horrified and I was really uncomfortable and I thought to myself, check out the kitchen and get the hell out! We entered the kitchen and she said, "would you like some wine?" I politely declined, not wanting to prolong my visit. She insisted, "It's really a lovely pinot noir. Alan and I went to France earlier this year and you're only allowed to bring back a few bottles. It's our last." Pinot Noir? From France? Really? My brain said, no thanks, but my mouth said, oh why not? So, they pour a glass of wine, BIG GLASS, of wine. It really was a very nice pour. I think to myself, gulp it down and get out, as Alan eyed me again,"Are you sure you're not Korean? I was stationed in Korea and I swear you look Korean!" Again, I just didn't know what to say other than, ah yeah, I'm pretty sure. His wife then said, come out back, we just landscaped our back yard and I would love to show you what we did! I reluctantly went out back, my dogs were in the back. As I was trying to gulp down this very large glass of wine, my one lab started humping their tiny maltese dog. I was so uncomfortable but couldn't force myself to gulp, the wine was so good. We controlled the animals and my head was spinning as it was a hot evening, I had just come back from a run and was dehydrated and drinking wine. I just finished my glass of wine (smoky and earthy with hints of berries, amazing!)and was ready to get out as the husband said again, "I really love Korean women, beautiful women, so accommodating, best time of my life when I was stationed in Korea." I was so uncomfortable and uneasy about being there. I stood up, thanked them for the wine and was ready to get the hell out of that freak fest, when wife stood up and said, oh no, don't leave until you help us finish this bottle. Would you like another glass? I was horrified and I was not about to say yes as my brain was screaming at me to leave. Of course, of course, I held up my hand to stop her from pouring, but my. mouth. said. "Absolutely!"

And, how did the night end?!?!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

dillonsparks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dillonsparks

OK, years ago i was living in NYC. Took a new date to 21Club under the old owners-Kriendlers and Berns. Their wine cellar is legendary. The sommelier was an acquaintance whose services i used at least twice monthly. My date was impressed by the cavernous cellar with all its wine choices and storage for special guests. She remarked that a past President (of the US and deceased) had his wine stored there and too bad he wouldn't be requesting any. My friend immediately opened a bottle of 1958 Bruno Giacosa Barolo belonging to the ex-POTUS. Wonderful and heightened by the fact we were robbing from the dead.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

The day my 25 year old son took me to Rosenblum winery in the Oakland CA tasting room and introduced me to the best wine I had ever tasted; beginning my lust and love for CA wine. From the mouths of babes!!!!!!!