WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Buena Vista Winery Carneros Syrah (4)

Speed to First Woot:
1m 7.446s
First Sucker:
webdev511
Last Wooter to Woot:
pomogeezer
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 29% of Wine Woots
Bottom 46% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 42% of Wine Woots
Top 47% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 3% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 15% < 10 woots
  • 18% < 25 woots
  • 61% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 3% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 5% one year old
  • 89% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 91% bought 1
  • 8% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

11%
7%
1%
1%
1%
5%
7%
8%
5%
8%
7%
7%
4%
4%
4%
3%
3%
1%
1%
1%
3%
4%
0%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1615 Private Messages Cesare

Buena Vista Winery Carneros Syrah 4-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶0̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 35% off List Price
2007 Buena Vista Syrah, Carneros
CT link above

Winery website

Boisset site

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare


quality posts: 1615 Private Messages Cesare

O.m.g Buena Vista finally!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

webdev511


quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

In for one. Can't refuse some Syrah.

Looks like the few notes in Cellar Tracker peg this as a Drink Now. Don't mind if I do.

cortot20


quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

Wow, something I thought I would never see. Don't have room or money. Gotta think on it. Maybe if you guys buy it all over night the decision will be made easier tomorrow for me.

CT

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Any thoughts on how this compares to the Ramal Syrah from the same vintage? I definitely enjoyed the Ramal.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

The last Carneros Syrah we had was one of the nicest in a long time. With Buena Vista's quality, and the pedigree of the fruit, this is a virtual autobuy. Resistance is futile.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Wow, something I thought I would never see. Don't have room or money. Gotta think on it. Maybe if you guys buy it all over night the decision will be made easier tomorrow for me.



I'd take one.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
Cesare wrote:O.m.g Buena Vista finally!

You've had this, tell us about it.

ddeuddeg wrote:Resistance is futile.

I did not need to see this.
First Sucker: webdev511
Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin




CT

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

I'm curious to know how the quality of this fruit compares to the Ramal fruit. I've tremendously enjoyed the Ramal Pinot, for example, but less so the "Carneros" labeled PN.

Edit: I should say more "style" than fruit quality. The quality on the Carneros PN I had was great, but it was more fruity and less classic PN compared to Ramal.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20


quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:I'd take one.



At $20 a bottle it's slightly more than I am willing to pay for the unknown quality of this wine. Like Klez said there is a night and day difference between the carneros PN and the Ramal. I loved the Ramal but don't care for the carneros PN at the sale price of $13 a bottle you sometimes see in stores. I see the case production is pretty limited which means its not widely distributed so not many folks are going to have tasted this.

CT

aces219


quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

Loved the Ramal, so I am also looking for notes on how this compares.

Winedavid39


quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Had this over a couple of nights last week. Really enjoyed the screw top ease and access even more on this wine.

Well crafted, smooth, did not need to be overly powerful with this fruit. Even better the second day after spending a night in the fridge.

How long has it been RPM since we visited Buena Vista the first time?

Knowing this was going to finally be featured on wine.woot admittedly may have played a role in my taste interpretation, but i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kudos to neilfindswine for cracking the code. Very glad to have Buena Vista up.

Enjoy this.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

So, a few of us know Buena Vista very well indeed, to the point of being or having been wine club members for a while after the 2010 rpm tour. They went bust because their wine was too sophisticated for the market, and have been taken over by ?Constellation (someone like to verify). They sold the Ramal vineyards and are leasing them back, which to me sounds like Tin Man money-man short-term strategery but what do I know? Their 2011 onwards PNs will be more Californian style, maybe RR, with a more fruit-forward approach. I hope they make it with keen acidity then to keep ti balanced, if they're going to continue to make quality Carneros wine. Fingers crossed.
Their Ramal vineyard Pinots Noir from 03-07 are outstanding and even with pH 3.7 they are ageable and have complexity. Although at some ages they go through a rough patch (the 07 recently did) they tend to come out the other end even better. They do different clone bottles too, and you can taste the differences. I learned so much from them, and about food-wine pairing.

Regarding the Syrah, I didn't really love it, but possibly because my head was turned by the PN. It's also been a long time. I have a couple of bottles of both sorts I'm cellaring for a bit. Stylewise likely cooler climate north Rhone, but my palate has evolved since I last tasted it so I can't say anything definitively here.

Worth remmebering also that cheaper Syrah is better than cheaper PN. Their white label PN is OK. It's possible the white label Syrah is closer to its superior sister in the range because the grape is more forgiving.

Also, price. Syrah is not in fashion. I have a bunch of other outstanding wooted Syrahs whose list price is $20-25 (Wellington, Scott Harvey among others... friends feel free to name your faves!) and which came in at $12-14 on woot. I'm not convinced the discount here is good enough considering the street price for the white-label Buena Vista PN is $10 (TJ's) $15-18 (Safeway etc), and Syrah is less popularly desired than Pinot Noir. Although these are VERY GOOD and EXCELLENT QPR prices. The equivalent street price on this wold probably be $15 too, still a decent QPR, if you could find it. Winery list price should be about $22-24 like the equivalent PN list price was, but you never pay that on the streets.

TL;DR Nice juice if you're short of Syrah. I don't remember it blowing me away like some of the others. Not as great QPR as other woots, or even by its own pricing, but second-label Syrah > second-label PN. Bring on the Pinot!

rjquillin


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
Winedavid39 wrote:Had this over a couple of nights last week. Really enjoyed the screw top ease and access even more on this wine.

$20 for a twist-off, you'd think this must be some Aussie juice.
But I do hope we see more Buena Vista in the future.

CT

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rjquillin wrote:$20 for a twist-off, you'd think this must be some Aussie juice.
But I do hope we see more Buena Vista in the future.



Won't be anything like that dried up pruney Australian sh*te! FWIW it's not far off the quality of the Ramal. Much more depth and flavour, that's for certain. And I'm not biased at all. Aussies are rubbish at cricket too.

bsevern


quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
Winedavid39 wrote:

Kudos to neilfindswine for cracking the code. Very glad to have Buena Vista up.

Enjoy this.



This had Neil's name all over it, well done!

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Winedavid39 wrote:How long has it been RPM since we visited Buena Vista the first time?

If it helps, that visit was in the afternoon of July 22, 2008.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

RyanANNAPOLIS


quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

Really, really enjoyed the Ramal Pinot and Syrah. I picked those up not too long ago for about $14 so it is hard to justify the price here for the Carneros bottling. I wish the price was a bit more reasonable. I'd definitely be curious to compare this to the Ramal Vineyard wines.

rpm


quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
richardhod wrote:So, a few of us know Buena Vista very well indeed, to the point of being or having been wine club members for a while after the 2010 rpm tour. They went bust because their wine was too sophisticated for the market, and have been taken over by ?Constellation (someone like to verify). They sold the Ramal vineyards and are leasing them back, which to me sounds like Tin Man money-man short-term strategery but what do I know? Their 2011 onwards PNs will be more Californian style, maybe RR, with a more fruit-forward approach. I hope they make it with keen acidity then to keep ti balanced, if they're going to continue to make quality Carneros wine. Fingers crossed.
Their Ramal vineyard Pinots Noir from 03-07 are outstanding and even with pH 3.7 they are ageable and have complexity. Although at some ages they go through a rough patch (the 07 recently did) they tend to come out the other end even better. They do different clone bottles too, and you can taste the differences. I learned so much from them, and about food-wine pairing.

Regarding the Syrah, I didn't really love it, but possibly because my head was turned by the PN. It's also been a long time. I have a couple of bottles of both sorts I'm cellaring for a bit. Stylewise likely cooler climate north Rhone, but my palate has evolved since I last tasted it so I can't say anything definitively here.

Worth remmebering also that cheaper Syrah is better than cheaper PN. Their white label PN is OK. It's possible the white label Syrah is closer to its superior sister in the range because the grape is more forgiving.

Also, price. Syrah is not in fashion. I have a bunch of other outstanding wooted Syrahs whose list price is $20-25 (Wellington, Scott Harvey among others... friends feel free to name your faves!) and which came in at $12-14 on woot. I'm not convinced the discount here is good enough considering the street price for the white-label Buena Vista PN is $10 (TJ's) $15-18 (Safeway etc), and Syrah is less popularly desired than Pinot Noir. Although these are VERY GOOD and EXCELLENT QPR prices. The equivalent street price on this wold probably be $15 too, still a decent QPR, if you could find it. Winery list price should be about $22-24 like the equivalent PN list price was, but you never pay that on the streets.

TL;DR Nice juice if you're short of Syrah. I don't remember it blowing me away like some of the others. Not as great QPR as other woots, or even by its own pricing, but second-label Syrah > second-label PN. Bring on the Pinot!



Nice summary! I have a bottle of the Ramal 2007 Syrah here in Florida. I think this is a decent deal, and I will very much miss their Pinot Noirs. A pity. I must say, however, I HATE the screw cap. I bought a case of the 2007 Ramal Pinot and was shocked it came in a screw cap. Would not have bought had I realized. I just don't think wines in a screw cap will age properly, and the 2007 Ramal PN we had on the 2010 Tour was AMAZING, looking to be a 10-15 year wine equivalent to a solid premier cru Burgundy.

I bought 2 of these.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
rpm wrote:Nice summary! I have a bottle of the Ramal 2007 Syrah here in Florida. I think this is a decent deal, and I will very much miss their Pinot Noirs. A pity. I must say, however, I HATE the screw cap. I bought a case of the 2007 Ramal Pinot and was shocked it came in a screw cap. Would not have bought had I realized. I just don't think wines in a screw cap will age properly, and the 2007 Ramal PN we had on the 2010 Tour was AMAZING, looking to be a 10-15 year wine equivalent to a solid premier cru Burgundy.

I bought 2 of these.



One of the top Burgundy producers is starting to use synthetic closures.

Edit: I should clarify that these are synth corks and not screw tops.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rvanvl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvanvl
richardhod wrote:They went bust because their wine was too sophisticated for the market, and have been taken over by ?Constellation (someone like to verify).


They were acquired by Boisset Family Estates (aka De Loach, Raymond, Lyeth).

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:One of the top Burgundy producers is starting to use synthetic closures.

Edit: I should clarify that these are synth corks and not screw tops.



Thomas Duroux of Chateau Palmer was a guest winemaker on WB a couple of months ago and when asked about screwtops he said he thought they worked fine and would use them, but it is a marketing issue.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Thomas Duroux of Chateau Palmer was a guest winemaker on WB a couple of months ago and when asked about screwtops he said he thought they worked fine and would use them, but it is a marketing issue.



That's what I think it is. People have beliefs, without proof, that screw tops won't age. To be fair, the research about the aging isn't incredibly extensive, but there is some evidence (as opposed to none for the nay-sayers) that screw tops age just fine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm


quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
rvanvl wrote:They were acquired by Boisset Family Estates (aka De Loach, Raymond, Lyeth).



I don't know them, but from what I have heard they're decent people. some very good labels. Not sure who will be making the wines. Jeff Stewart who was the winemaker for Buena Vista is really very, very talented with Pinot Noir. One of the best in California in my view.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

After talking to Cesare this afternoon I'd take a bottle or two from somebody in SoCal.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
klezman wrote:After talking to Cesare this afternoon I'd take a bottle or two from somebody in SoCal.



you may be able to have one of mine

rjquillin


quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
richardhod wrote:you may be able to have one of mine

Ha, like you ever show up anymore... When was the last time we had a sighting in SoCal?
{Now how do I make one of those faces?}

CT

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rjquillin wrote:Ha, like you ever show up anymore... When was the last time we had a sighting in SoCal?
{Now how do I make one of those faces?}



ask Sparky. he has a binder full of them!

Just means you'll be happier to see me when you do. And if you still have the wines to swap/trade as we wanted to do I'm still up for that.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
richardhod wrote:ask Sparky. he has a binder full of them!

Just means you'll be happier to see me when you do. And if you still have the wines to swap/trade as we wanted to do I'm still up for that.



If you never show up I've simply held an extra two bottles of 97 Kronos in exchange for you owing me for 3 bottles of Wellington 07 Karren Cab. I'll take that deal.
I can also take Syrah off your hands. If you decide to come back to LA ever. Although if you don't I'm claiming full control over your wine locker!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
klezman wrote:If you never show up I've simply held an extra two bottles of 97 Kronos in exchange for you owing me for 3 bottles of Wellington 07 Karren Cab. I'll take that deal.
I can also take Syrah off your hands. If you decide to come back to LA ever. Although if you don't I'm claiming full control over your wine locker!




LOL I'm back soon, if only to pick up my vino! We can settle up and enjoy another evening or two of dinner and wine-pairing!