tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Great end to March Madness. Apparently I tied for first in terms of points, but I guess I had worse tiebreaks? Not sure how that worked, so even though my Blue Devils lost I still finished on top of both brackets I submitted.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:Well, my wife is going, so I will avoid that place hah.

I'm also open for suggestions on places to eat, both cheap and expensive (over 7 days I'm going to need good variety).

In any event, make sure to get into the loyalty program at the hotel where you're staying. In the Harrah's properties, it's called Total Rewards. Last time we were in Las Vegas, the Rio gave us 2 nights for $60/night, and comped the rest of the week, because they had the (incorrect) impression that we are gamblers, just because we always make sure to use the card whenever we're there. Also, the restaurant at the top of the Rio was excellent: food, service, wine list. A bit pricey, but it goes with the territory.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

I'm also open for suggestions on places to eat, both cheap and expensive (over 7 days I'm going to need good variety).

Sunday Brunch at Mandalay is excellent. Catch the tram from Luxor to there. Also the Minus 5° Ice bar is there.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:rj, mark, etc, thanks for all of the input.

Are they working now?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
rjquillin wrote:Easy, you don't drink enough!

Difficult to drink them when the locker is 3000 miles away! Haha. We shall see what changes when I visit this summer. I just have to keep telling myself:

"I will not become the new Sparky.... I will not become the Sparky... I will not become the new Sparky..."

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:I'm aware. I just want a NAS that works, and works well! The seagate, it doesn't work so hot...

Really happy with my Synology DiskStation. Easy setup, it works, and like a thousand ways to use it besides just typical windows share...

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Difficult to drink them when the locker is 3000 miles away! Haha. We shall see what changes when I visit this summer. I just have to keep telling myself:

"I will not become the new Sparky.... I will not become the Sparky... I will not become the new Sparky..."

Despite his protests, Rj is the new Sparky ... what, 5 lockers?

I only have two lockers now.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
MarkDaSpark wrote:Despite his protests, Rj is the new Sparky ... what, 5 lockers?

But I believe size matters in this comparison

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Despite his protests, Rj is the new Sparky ... what, 5 lockers?

Can we talk cubic feet here and make this a fair comparison?

tiger7610 wrote:But I believe size matters in this comparison

Yes, thank you!

Oh, wait, now this is sounding a bit kinky.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:Are they working now?

Tried plugging into the USB port...no dice...Haven't had a chance to look into it further since there aren't enough hours in the day.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

mother wrote:Really happy with my Synology DiskStation. Easy setup, it works, and like a thousand ways to use it besides just typical windows share...

Good to hear! I was hellbent on buying the Drobo unit, but then when I did more research, I really liked the Synology options, so I bought that along with a couple HDDs. Should have done that to begin with...now to go get my pics and files back...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Just saw an ad last night for a special "TV rate" at TI and also found the info online for $69/night deluxe room Sun-Thu plus 2-for-1 tix to Mystere by Cirque du Soleil and a few other discounts, in case you want to check it out.

As for restaurants, one of the best Filet Mignons I've ever had was at Nero's at Caesar's Palace. Unfortunately, it looks like Nero's is gone but now they have an Old Homestead Steakhouse which has good reviews and might be worth trying out. You also can't go wrong with Ruth's Chris steakhouse. We usually try to eat at Ruth's Chris in every major city we visit since the closest one to us is 2 hours away in Columbus (and we actually drove all the way down there just to eat one time).

Our favorite buffet was Cravings Buffet at The Mirage. They have a huge selection of foods with various international themes. We also really enjoyed the weekend brunch at The Buffet at Bellagio.

For a cheap bite, check out the In-N-Out Burger, there are several in town.

Finally, if you make it to Old Vegas (and you should, if for no other reason than to see the Freeman St. light show), be sure to visit Battista's Hole in the Wall for cheap Italian food and wine, complete with a roving accordion player.

EDIT: The house wine and after-dinner cappucino are actually included with the already reasonably priced meal at Battista's, now that's QPR!

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:Sunday Brunch at Mandalay is excellent. Catch the tram from Luxor to there. Also the Minus 5° Ice bar is there.

Oh yeah, the Ice Bar! Here's a pic of me and my +1, compliments of some guys from Labrador, Canada who complained that it was too warm for them.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Chip, good to know we're part of the same club. The "I married WAY up club."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Chip, good to know we're part of the same club. The "I married WAY up club."

I'm in that club for sure, but he isn't married (though they act the part).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:Chip, good to know we're part of the same club. The "I married WAY up club."

LOL, she is not without her charms but as North says, we aren't married. After 15 years together I guess it's not surprising that we act like we are.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

we get restaurant discounts from the half price ticket place. be sure to text them with the code and you get daily deals while you are there.

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:Just saw an ad last night for a special "TV rate" at TI and also found the info online for $69/night deluxe room Sun-Thu plus 2-for-1 tix to Mystere by Cirque du Soleil and a few other discounts, in case you want to check it out.

As for restaurants, one of the best Filet Mignons I've ever had was at Nero's at Caesar's Palace. Unfortunately, it looks like Nero's is gone but now they have an Old Homestead Steakhouse which has good reviews and might be worth trying out. You also can't go wrong with Ruth's Chris steakhouse. We usually try to eat at Ruth's Chris in every major city we visit since the closest one to us is 2 hours away in Columbus (and we actually drove all the way down there to eat one time).

Our favorite buffet was Cravings Buffet at The Mirage. They have a huge selection of foods with various international themes. We also really enjoyed the weekend brunch at The Buffet at Bellagio.

For a cheap bite, check out the In-N-Out Burger, there are several in town.

Finally, if you make it to Old Vegas (and you should, if for no other reason than to see the Freeman St. light show), be sure to visit Battista's Hole in the Wall for cheap Italian food and wine, complete with a roving accordion player.

EDIT: The house wine and after-dinner cappucino are actually included with the already reasonably priced meal at Battista's, now that's QPR!

Del Frisco's is the place for meat. We celebrated my nephew's 30th and BiL's 60th there in 2011. My son and I both got the Waygu, which was terrific.

Edit: At the time, they also had a cool wine bar feature that had 18 laser etched Bond Wines.

MarkDaSpark

Thinking about it, it seems every male wineaux married here, married way up ...

WineFarm > WineDavid
Bahwm > ddeuddeg
MichelleShari > Joel
CoffeeMate > JavaDrinker
Yourwife > Kyle
etc.

Even Cat > HaK

Must be our wine cellars?

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thinking about it, it seems every male wineaux married here, married way up ...

WineFarm >>> WineDavid
Bahwm >>> ddeuddeg
MichelleShari >>>>>>> Joel
CoffeeMate >>> JavaDrinker
Yourwife >>> Kyle
Otolith's wife >>>> otolith
etc.

Even Cat >>> HaK

FTFY.

--John Muir

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thinking about it, it seems every male wineaux married here, married way up ...

It is not about the size of the cellar, it is all about how you use it.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

otolith wrote:FIFY.

Are you specifically emphasizing how much higher MichelleShari is or how much lower Joel is?

My Cellar

otolith

cmaldoon wrote:Are you specifically emphasizing how much higher MichelleShari is or how much lower Joel is?

yes!

--John Muir

mommadeb1

WineFarm > WineDavid
Bahwm > ddeuddeg
MichelleShari > Joel
CoffeeMate > JavaDrinker
Yourwife > Kyle
etc.

Even Cat > HaK

Mr. Mommadeb says he also married up!! I would agree....

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

WineFarm > WineDavid
Bahwm > ddeuddeg
MichelleShari > Joel
CoffeeMate > JavaDrinker
Yourwife > Kyle
etc.

Even Cat > HaK

ahemmmmm...........is this thing on.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:ahemmmmm...........is this thing on.

It goes without saying you married up.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
cmaldoon wrote:Are you specifically emphasizing how much higher MichelleShari is or how much lower Joel is?

that's just because when he met her, she had that pregnant glow... and was still drinking wine.

Oh yeah, and he has a thing against red heads.

No question I married up, regardless.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chipgreen wrote:
As for restaurants, one of the best Filet Mignons I've ever had was at Nero's at Caesar's Palace. Unfortunately, it looks like Nero's is gone but now they have an Old Homestead Steakhouse which has good reviews and might be worth trying out. You also can't go wrong with Ruth's Chris steakhouse. We usually try to eat at Ruth's Chris in every major city we visit since the closest one to us is 2 hours away in Columbus (and we actually drove all the way down there just to eat one time).

The Old Homestead is a great place to go to in NY for an authentic NY Steakhouse meal. You need to have the seafood tower as an app though- the shrimp on the thing are an oxymoron in and of themselves.

And the you 'seek out Ruth's' comment. They are definitely a great safe option for steak when there isn't a good local steakhouse option...

MarkDaSpark wrote:Del Frisco's is the place for meat. We celebrated my nephew's 30th and BiL's 60th there in 2011. My son and I both got the Waygu, which was terrific.

Del Friscos, while not authentic to anywhere really, is probably the best of the chain steakhouses. Always plenty of dark walnut paneling to go with your beef!

PS Old Homestead is who first brought Wagyu (it was actual Kobe back then) to the states for the first time IIRC.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
MarkDaSpark wrote:I only have two lockers now.

Huh? I count 3, unless you gave up the one in Long Beach.

Though I suppose the one you share with me only counts as a half...

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

cmaldoon

There is a fantastic Tapas place called firefly About a mile off the strip

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Huh? I count 3, unless you gave up the one in Long Beach.

Though I suppose the one you share with me only counts as a half...

Ssshhhh!! And you need to give us available dates for the next SoCal Gathering!!

otolith

joelsisk wrote:that's just because when he met her, she had that pregnant glow... and was still drinking wine.

Oh yeah, and he has a thing against red heads.

No question I married up, regardless.

She was glowing, wasn't she?

You both are great people, but it's more fun to poke fun at Joel than his much better half.

--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

WineFarm > WineDavid
Bahwm > ddeuddeg
MichelleShari > Joel
CoffeeMate > JavaDrinker
Yourwife > Kyle
etc.

Even Cat > HaK

My wife married WAY up. In fact, I need to remind her just how lucky she is I agreed to get married. I'm mainly saying this because she won't read it, and even if she does, it will make the rest of whatever night she reads it just that much more interesting. If by chance you are reading this, I will expect a clean kitchen and two freshly baked fruit pies by the time I get home tonight. The pies must be of different flavors and may not contain more than three different fruits per pie. I will accept Sweet Potato as a "fruit" in this instance, but only if it is preceded by a porterhouse.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

joelsisk

bhodilee wrote:My wife married WAY up. In fact, I need to remind her just how lucky she is I agreed to get married. I'm mainly saying this because she won't read it, and even if she does, it will make the rest of whatever night she reads it just that much more interesting. If by chance you are reading this, I will expect a clean kitchen and two freshly baked fruit pies by the time I get home tonight. The pies must be of different flavors and may not contain more than three different fruits per pie. I will accept Sweet Potato as a "fruit" in this instance, but only if it is preceded by a porterhouse.

don't porterhouses grow on trees in Omaha?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
joelsisk wrote:don't porterhouses grow on trees in Omaha?

basically, they're usually about 8 bucks a pound, which seems cheap to me, but I don't know what the going rate is other places. I'm thinking of buying a 1/4 or 1/2 a grass fed cow. Will work out to about $2.80/lb after processing at the locker.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Even Cat > HaK

EVEN???

Implying surprise???

I need to intercept the postal worker from delivering your invite....

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

joelsisk

cheron98 wrote:EVEN???

Implying surprise???

Speaking of, we thought it was very nice and clever!

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:EVEN???

Implying surprise???

Too late!!!!

And technically, it wasn't indicating surprise, but that you two are engaged (not yet married).

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
joelsisk wrote:Speaking of, we thought it was very nice and clever!

Agreed. Got a nice chuckle!

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:basically, they're usually about 8 bucks a pound, which seems cheap to me, but I don't know what the going rate is other places. I'm thinking of buying a 1/4 or 1/2 a grass fed cow. Will work out to about $2.80/lb after processing at the locker.

That's a great price. We paid $3.50 a pound for the 4-H steer this year.