bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

The players:

2009 Pedroncelli Dry Creek Valley Mother Clone Zinfandel - This is a WW fav, and a bargain at that. Pedroncelli needs time in the bottle, and for that you're typically rewarded with a wine that drinks far above it's MSRP. This Zin is no exception, very good, spicy, typical Dry Creek components, just a great ever day + Zin. It was enjoyed by all at the WW Tour last year with our awesome lunch.

2009 Dry Creek Vineyard Heritage Zinfandel - this should be interesting to compare to the Pedroncelli, Dry Creek vs Dry Creek, even same vintage. This was also a crowd pleaser at last years WW Tour. I personally liked it far better then their pricier Old Vine Zin.

2010 Yokayo Zinfandel Mendocino County - excellent winery! Their wine maker makes old world styled wines for the new world drinker. Dave makes some outstanding wines, very low volume, excellent wines. This Zin will be no exception I'm sure.

2006 Black Goose Zinfandel Mendocino County - Another Mendo Co Zin and an early Last Bottle buy of six bottles. The vineyard was originally an old vine 100+ year old vineyard, that sadly was ripped out and replanted with Pinot. This 2006 was in fact the last vintage. I gifted one bottle, and have gone through four others over the past couple of years. Two were outstanding, one was average, and one was meh. Definite bottle variance on these (hand bottled?). Hopefully the last bottle is a good one.

To spice things up (hopefully) I threw in two Primitivos.

From Mr Capt Crunch himself, 2006 C.G. di Arie Primitivo Block 4 Estate Grown.

And one straight from Italy, 2009 Il Papavero Vendemmia Puglia Primitivo IGT.

Lastly a 2001 Chateau Montelena Estate Grown/bottled Napa Valley Zin - This was one of my first auction buys, four bottles of Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Valley Zin. Talk about bottle variance, one was corked (red racing stripe up the side of the cork), one was incredibly good, another was meh. I'm saving the last bottle for the conclusion of the Zin challenge in hopes that it pulls through as another incredible bottle (fingers crossed!).

The goal?

Seriously?

To drink some really great Zin!

OK, seriously it's to review one bottle per night for the next seven nights

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bsevern wrote:The players:

2009 Pedroncelli Dry Creek Valley Mother Clone Zinfandel - This is a WW fav, and a bargain at that. Pedroncelli needs time in the bottle, and for that you're typically rewarded with a wine that drinks far above it's MSRP. This Zin is no exception, very good, spicy, typical Dry Creek components, just a great ever day + Zin. It was enjoyed by all at the WW Tour last year with our awesome lunch.

2009 Dry Creek Vineyard Heritage Zinfandel - this should be interesting to compare to the Pedroncelli, Dry Creek vs Dry Creek, even same vintage. This was also a crowd pleaser at last years WW Tour. I personally liked it far better then their pricier Old Vine Zin.

2010 Yokayo Zinfandel Mendocino County - excellent winery! Their wine maker makes old world styled wines for the new world drinker. Dave makes some outstanding wines, very low volume, excellent wines. This Zin will be no exception I'm sure.

2006 Black Goose Zinfandel Mendocino County - Another Mendo Co Zin and an early Last Bottle buy of six bottles. The vineyard was originally an old vine 100+ year old vineyard, that sadly was ripped out and replanted with Pinot. This 2006 was in fact the last vintage. I gifted one bottle, and have gone through four others over the past couple of years. Two were outstanding, one was average, and one was meh. Definite bottle variance on these (hand bottled?). Hopefully the last bottle is a good one.

To spice things up (hopefully) I threw in two Primitivos.

From Mr Capt Crunch himself, 2006 C.G. di Arie Primitivo Block 4 Estate Grown.

And one straight from Italy, 2009 Il Papavero Vendemmia Puglia Primitivo IGT.

Lastly a 2001 Chateau Montelena Estate Grown/bottled Napa Valley Zin - This was one of my first auction buys, four bottles of Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Valley Zin. Talk about bottle variance, one was corked (red racing stripe up the side of the cork), one was incredibly good, another was meh. I'm saving the last bottle for the conclusion of the Zin challenge in hopes that it pulls through as another incredible bottle (fingers crossed!).

The goal?

Seriously?

To drink some really great Zin!

OK, seriously it's to review one bottle per night for the next seven nights

can't wait to read what you think... I love Zins!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen
mommadeb1 wrote:can't wait to read what you think... I love Zins!!

Agree on both counts! I have far more Zin than any other varietal. That's the only reason I didn't go in on the Calstar deal yesterday as I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

Of b's choices above, I tasted (and purchased) both the Pedroncelli Mother Clone and the Dry Creek Heritage on the rpm tour. I thought the Pedroncelli was drinking very well last summer so if it's likely to get even better with a little more time in the bottle I'm pretty happy about that.

I also liked the Dry Creek Heritage Zin more than the Old Vines (quite a bit more, in fact). Wish I had more than one bottle.

bsevern

Teaching my GF about Zin this week

PnP'd this one, nice structure and balance, refined tannins, dark fruit, cloves, baking spice, medium finish, bit of pepper on the finish. Great bottle for $8.50!

Will be pairing with Greek gyro lamb and beef, rice, and sweet potatoe fries shortly

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:Of b's choices above, I tasted (and purchased) both the Pedroncelli Mother Clone and the Dry Creek Heritage on the rpm tour. I thought the Pedroncelli was drinking very well last summer so if it's likely to get even better with a little more time in the bottle I'm pretty happy about that.

I also liked the Dry Creek Heritage Zin more than the Old Vines (quite a bit more, in fact). Wish I had more than one bottle.

' " '
rpm was all over the Heritage, I think he got a case, I know I ended up with 10. And the Ped Mother Clone, 10 there too. Very hard to beat Ped QPR if you have the patience to forget it for a a couple years.

CT

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:Teaching my GF about Zin this week

PnP'd this one, nice structure and balance, refined tannins, dark fruit, cloves, baking spice, medium finish, bit of pepper on the finish. Great bottle for $8.50!

Will be pairing with Greek gyro lamb and beef, rice, and sweet potatoe fries shortly

Which one? The Ped Mother Clone?
Working on some left-over 2007 Four Vines Biker from last weekend.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:' " '
rpm was all over the Heritage, I think he got a case, I know I ended up with 10. And the Ped Mother Clone, 10 there too. Very hard to beat Ped QPR if you have the patience to forget it for a a couple years.

Are we going to start calling you TimB, Jr?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:Are we going to start calling you TimB, Jr?

Oh, don't I only wish!
That honor would go to MdS, I'm not even a close 100th. I did watch in awe at Corison, and his recent list of Maderia's. No, not to worry...
But I will grab all the low hanging and dropped fruit I can afford.

CT

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:Which one? The Ped Mother Clone?
Working on some left-over 2007 Four Vines Biker from last weekend.

Yeah this was the Ped Mother Clone Zin...tonight is the Dry Creek Vineyards Zin.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
bsevern wrote:Yeah this was the Ped Mother Clone Zin...tonight is the Dry Creek Vineyards Zin.

Anxious to hear about the DCV Zin. You inspired me to pop a Ped Mother Clone tonight. Excellent juice, ridiculous QPR. Hope the DCV is just as good. I also got a case of each.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
UBlink wrote:Anxious to hear about the DCV Zin. You inspired me to pop a Ped Mother Clone tonight. Excellent juice, ridiculous QPR. Hope the DCV is just as good. I also got a case of each.

These were the 2 Zins I purchased on tour too. All the bottles are gone now though :-(. Grilled sausages and mother clone zin are a ridiculously good pairing that still gets my mouth watering.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Missing my daughter's favorite - Scott Harvey OV Zin. We opened one on Sunday for her last night in the states, and finished it Monday without her.

My wife and I drank a 1998 Corison Kronos on Sunday, but daughter insisted on Zin. Zin, over Kronos!! Just goes to show that she still has tastes to develop.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bsevern

Notes from last nights bottle of 2009 Dry Creek Vineyard Heritage Zin -

The nose showed mainly red fruit and a bit of spice. On the palate it's mostly red fruit, thin, tart cherry, slight hint of pepper, short finish. Not as good as I recall at the winery, but not bad.

I was surprised how different this was from the Pedroncelli which was full of life, spice, cloves, nice fruit, pepper, all the things that make the quintessential good California Zin a Zin! Thus far, the QPR prize, by a long shot, goes to Pedroncelli.

bsevern

polarbear22 wrote:Missing my daughter's favorite - Scott Harvey OV Zin. We opened one on Sunday for her last night in the states, and finished it Monday without her.

My wife and I drank a 1998 Corison Kronos on Sunday, but daughter insisted on Zin. Zin, over Kronos!! Just goes to show that she still has tastes to develop.

All of Scott's Zins are good, even his InZin IMHO

chipgreen

polarbear22 wrote:Missing my daughter's favorite - Scott Harvey OV Zin. We opened one on Sunday for her last night in the states, and finished it Monday without her.

[insert British joke here]

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:Notes from last nights bottle of 2009 Dry Creek Vineyard Heritage Zin -

The nose showed mainly red fruit and a bit of spice. On the palate it's mostly red fruit, thin, tart cherry, slight hint of pepper, short finish. Not as good as I recall at the winery, but not bad.

I was surprised how different this was from the Pedroncelli which was full of life, spice, cloves, nice fruit, pepper, all the things that make the quintessential good California Zin a Zin! Thus far, the QPR prize, by a long shot, goes to Pedroncelli.

It's funny how perceptions about a wine can change when you compare it to other wines.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

In the immortal words of Sly Stone, different strokes for different folks. The Blinks loved the Pedroncelli last night but were blown away tonight by the DCV. Lots of red fruits as noted, but also a velvety mouth feel and finish. Happy with both!

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

bsevern

UBlink wrote:In the immortal words of Sly Stone, different strokes for different folks. The Blinks loved the Pedroncelli last night but were blown away tonight by the DCV. Lots of red fruits as noted, but also a velvety mouth feel and finish. Happy with both!

Although I liked the DCV Zin last night, I really loved it on the WW Tour, makes me wonder if there's a bit of bottle variance?

bsevern

Cracked open the 2006 C.G. di Arie Estate Grown Block 4 Primitivo tonight.

Beautiful nose of earth, spice, candied cherries, and very aromatic red fruit. On the palate, very tasty luscious red fruit, smooth, well balanced with nice acidity, great mouth feel, long lingering finish of raspberry and a bit of chocolate.

I haven't tried many C.G. di Arie wines, but I can definitely see why he's a woot fav, this is seriously good juice!

bsevern

Opened the 2009 Il Papavero Vendemmia Puglia Primitivo IGT last night. Interesting, simple wine. Nose of earth and cherries. On the palate, tart cherries, and....more tart cherries. Finish, wait for it, tart cherries, and just a hint of spice. It wasn't bad, but very simple. I saved some of the bottle to try tonight to see if it improved, and it did smooth out a bit, yet it's taste profile remained much the same as the first night. A dry wine, with grippy tannins.

OK, on to the Yokayo Mendocino County Zin!

bsevern

2010 Yokayo Zinfandel Mendocino County - Lovely nose of dark fruit, raspberries, allspice, and damp earth. On the palate, bright raspberries, dark cherry, spice, and a hint of white pepper. Well balanced, nice acidity, and long finish. Paired nicely with Thai chicken.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bsevern wrote:2010 Yokayo Zinfandel Mendocino County - Lovely nose of dark fruit, raspberries, allspice, and damp earth. On the palate, bright raspberries, dark cherry, spice, and a hint of white pepper. Well balanced, nice acidity, and long finish. Paired nicely with Thai chicken.

This was definitely fun reading, and it provided the inspiration for uncorking an '01 Ped MC this coming Friday night.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:This was definitely fun reading, and it provided the inspiration for uncorking an '01 Ped MC this coming Friday night.

I'm also enjoying this and looking forward to the Black Goose and Chateau Montelena notes.

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:I'm also enjoying this and looking forward to the Black Goose and Chateau Montelena notes.

I'm slacking, but they're coming