5%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

2010 M by Martellotto Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Spring Mountain District 2-Pack
$62.99 $̶1̶4̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 55% off List Price
2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley/Spring Mountain
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

Had this at our wine gathering tonight.

Reviews:
- crisp, non-linear
- dark cherry color, vanilla, smokey-caramel, sweet/spicy at the end
- very complex, multi-dimensional cab with hints of blackberry and currant. the finish should soften nicely with time in the cellar.
- good right out of the bottle, but better with the vinturi. berry is present, yum.
- boozy - both initial aroma and in the finish, overwhelming initial impression; pleasant fruit (blackberry?, currant?) aroma; nice depth of flavor; young, young, would want another 3-5 years to drink

Overall impressions - nice wine, but still very young.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

joelsisk wrote:Had this at our wine gathering tonight. Reviews to come shortly.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu
ThunderThighs wrote:

We are still "discussing" it.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

2010 Spring Mountain cab....such a baby!

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
loreelu wrote:We are still "discussing" it.

Well, now I'm definitely intrigued.. ;)

Can't wait to hear what you guys n gals think.. Thanks in advance oh great woot community!

Dave124

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dave124

I am a big fan of California Reds but I have to say, from 2010 to 2012, these vintages will be far from normal. This is the title of the vintage report put on by the vineyards themselves for 2010, "In the cellar, winemakers are delighted, undeterred by challenges of Mother Nature." The challenges they faced was a cool summer that did not allow the grapes to fully develop to the normal standards. Use caution when purchasing California wines from 2010.

joelsisk

ThunderThighs wrote:

geez. patience much?

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

I think that means they spent the rest of the night polishing off the bottle ( and more) and then were unable to post. : )

Take some aspirin and report back after some sleep !

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

This Colorado group musta really ripped one on at their gathering!

CT

rjquillin

Looking back, Greg's name seems to come up frequently. Two French Bordeaux back in August, some Rosso della Porticcia in November, Martian Ranch and Let The People Decide just recently, as well as other Martellotto offerings. And was that Piro Piro Piccolo from 2011 his as well?
Lives in the bay area, but many listings show Poway, just north of me as the location.

Difficult to sort this all out.
WD, Neil, can you help?

CT

joelsisk

joelsisk wrote:Had this at our wine gathering tonight.

Reviews:
- crisp, non-linear
- dark cherry color, vanilla, smokey-caramel, sweet/spicy at the end
- very complex, multi-dimensional cab with hints of blackberry and currant. the finish should soften nicely with time in the cellar.
- good right out of the bottle, but better with the vinturi. berry is present, yum.
- boozy - both initial aroma and in the finish, overwhelming initial impression; pleasant fruit (blackberry?, currant?) aroma; nice depth of flavor; young, young, would want another 3-5 years to drink

Overall impressions - nice wine, but still very young.

for those who seem to have missed the updated post...

Also, let's put it this way: basically all the bottles we tasted had about 2/3rds left after the initial taste... except the M which had about 1/3 left, as people were trying it 30-60 mins after opening, then through a vinturi, then with food. It was also the first bottle of the evening to be emptied.

That said, we were all a bit shocked by the price when it came up. Good juice, not sure about the QPR.

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
joelsisk wrote:for those who seem to have missed the updated post...

Also, let's put it this way: basically all the bottles we tasted had about 2/3rds left after the initial taste... except the M which had about 1/3 left, as people were trying it 30-60 mins after opening, then through a vinturi, then with food. It was also the first bottle of the evening to be emptied.

That said, we were all a bit shocked by the price when it came up. Good juice, not sure about the QPR.

thanks joelsisk! the review is much appreciated!

will continue to think about this one throughout the rest of the day before deciding...

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Love me some Spring Mountain cab. Familiar with many, but not this. Estate/purchased fruit? Vineyard source/site? Label art and numbered bottles are nice but....

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Looking back, Greg's name seems to come up frequently. Two French Bordeaux back in August, some Rosso della Porticcia in November, Martian Ranch and Let The People Decide just recently, as well as other Martellotto offerings. And was that Piro Piro Piccolo from 2011 his as well?
Lives in the bay area, but many listings show Poway, just north of me as the location.

Difficult to sort this all out.
WD, Neil, can you help?

I don't remember the French or Italian wines you mention but Let the People Decide and Piro Piro Piccolo Pinot Grigio were both Martelloto wines. Martian Ranch however, has nothing to do with him as I pointed out here and here in the Martians & Wolves thread. Apparently neither you nor woot staff saw those posts!

chipgreen

kaolis wrote:Love me some Spring Mountain cab. Familiar with many, but not this. Estate/purchased fruit? Vineyard source/site? Label art and numbered bottles are nice but....

Martelloto seems to be one of those nomad-style winemakers who doesn't have an actual winery or vineyard but produces many wines under different labels, many if not most of which are one-offs.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.... and this actually sounds like some tasty juice based on joel's review. I've even been wanting to try some Spring Mt. cab as I have greatly enjoyed the Howell Mt. and Mt. Veeder Cabs I've tried.

Dan, or anyone going to the Scott Harvey dinner want to split an order?

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Apparently neither you nor woot staff saw those posts!

I'll claim Alzheimer's.
Search for "poway" in the upper right window and you'll find the earlier listings
Still got me some Piro Piro.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:Dan, or anyone going to the Scott Harvey dinner want to split an order?

I'm going to pass on this one, as much I like trying new stuff, there if great, known, QPR out there that can be had for this price.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

North316 wrote:I'm going to pass on this one, as much I like trying new stuff, there if great, known, QPR out there that can be had for this price.

No problemo. I think it's a bit pricey simply because of the Spring Mt. pedigree. If it were 100% Cab Sauv I'd be in for sure but at 82%, I'm still considering.

kaolis

chipgreen wrote:No problemo. I think it's a bit pricey simply because of the Spring Mt. pedigree. If it were 100% Cab Sauv I'd be in for sure but at 82%, I'm still considering.

Thanks for the previous info. Also, can't speak for the quality but as far as Spring Mountain fruit goes this is not so bad a price. I'm thinking just offhand of Spring Mountain Vineyard, Pride, Togni, Keenan, Paloma(granted Merlot), Terra Valentine, Juslyn. So might be worth a try. Thinking about it as well.

chipgreen

kaolis wrote:Thanks for the previous info. Also, can't speak for the quality but as far as Spring Mountain fruit goes this is not so bad a price. I'm thinking just offhand of Spring Mountain Vineyard, Pride, Togni, Keenan, Paloma(granted Merlot), Terra Valentine, Juslyn. So might be worth a try. Thinking about it as well.

I'm sure it is a good price for Spring Mt. fruit, my previous wording was a bit ambiguous. I wasn't trying to say that it was pricey relative to other Spring Mt. wines, rather that it's a bit pricey simply because it comes from Spring Mt. fruit. Like paying for the name (Bose, Schwinn, Sony) but in this case you're paying for the pedigree (Spring Mt.).

kaolis

chipgreen wrote:I'm sure it is a good price for Spring Mt. fruit, my previous wording was a bit ambiguous. I wasn't trying to say that it was pricey relative to other Spring Mt. wines, rather that it's a bit pricey simply because it comes from Spring Mt. fruit. Like paying for the name (Bose, Schwinn, Sony) but in this case you're paying for the pedigree (Spring Mt.).

Yeah, pedigree..Spring Mountain..but an unknown. Makes sense.

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:... I've even been wanting to try some Spring Mt. cab as I have greatly enjoyed the Howell Mt. and Mt. Veeder Cabs I've tried.

Spring Mountain is the king pin of Napa mountain fruit IMHO.

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:Spring Mountain is the king pin of Napa mountain fruit IMHO.

I was thinking more along the lines of there being a Holy Trinity of Howell, Veeder and Spring Mountains.

ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:I don't remember the French or Italian wines you mention but Let the People Decide and Piro Piro Piccolo Pinot Grigio were both Martelloto wines. Martian Ranch however, has nothing to do with him as I pointed out here and here in the Martians & Wolves thread. Apparently neither you nor woot staff saw those posts!

Is the info correct today?

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of there being a Holy Trinity of Howell, Veeder and Spring Mountains.

Perhaps, but Spring Mountain would rule the trinity

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:Is the info correct today?

Yes, everything looks good for today's deal and the Hunt Country plus deal. It was the two previous plus deals that had errors. All good now

antflies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages antflies

Here is what was said on the Napa Valley Vinters site. I think will give this wine a try.
Anyone else have thoughts on letting sit, or drinking. I prefer to enjoy it once it arrives.

In the cellar, winemakers delighted, undeterred by challenges of Mother Nature

In some years winegrowers must feel like baseball players in the batting cage swinging at whatever Mother Nature throws their way, and for vintage 2010 in California’s renowned Napa Valley this was the case. Rainfall returned after three dry years, pushed bud break, flowering and fruit-set back by at least two weeks at the front end of the growing season, and due to the cloud cover, there was no frost damage in 2010. The summer brought cooler than normal temperatures, where constant vigilance and rigorous canopy management averted mildew or pest problems.

The ten-day to two-week lag continued into a later than average veraison. Winegrowers were faced with a two-day heat spike into triple digits for the first time in the season, coinciding with the first day of harvest on August 24. With canopies thinned to adjust for the cooler season, grapes at various sites experienced some sunburn. The damage was variable site-to-site with many vineyards reporting no sunburned clusters at all.

The relatively cool growing season coupled with the unexpected heat spikes in late summer resulted in a late and shortened harvest with lower yields. Vintners were excited about what they were tasting from the vineyards--concentrated flavors that will materialize into elegant, structured wines, almost European in style.

Cooler than average temperatures retuned again in early September, but gave way to a welcome, warm and consistent Indian Summer that was just the ticket, bringing good flavor and color development across the board.

In the midst of the 2010 growing season, and led by the hard work of Napa County Agriculture Commissioner Dave Whitmer, the potentially crop devastating pest known as the European Grapevine Moth or Lobesia looks to be successfully eradicated in Napa County. Industry winegrowers led by the Napa Valley Vintners, the Napa Valley Grapegrowers and the Napa County Farm Bureau along with residential grapes growers, community leaders and environmental groups joined forces in a highly organized and well-orchestrated effort that employed organic compounds, fruit disposal and mating disruption. This effort hit it out of the park and speaks volumes about the collaborative efforts, innovation and leadership of the Napa Valley wine industry.

chipgreen

I haven't had many 2010 Cali reds but I recently had the '10 Scott Harvey Old Vines Zin and it was some really good juice. I'm not scared away by the vintage.

In fact, I think I'm going to roll the dice on this offer with bsevern's Spring Mountain comments, the winemaker's comments on ageability (5-10 more years, via the Vintner Voicemail on the product page) and my desire to "unlock free shipping" for a mixed 6-pack of the Hunt Country wines in the + deal.

Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

For the record, I think vintage generalizations are crap except in rare instances a la 2003 Barolo which was a total washout through and through and 2012 BDX which is so poor, d'Yquem isn't even making wine (much to my dismay).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:For the record, I think vintage generalizations are crap except in rare instances a la 2003 Barolo which was a total washout through and through and 2012 BDX which is so poor, d'Yquem isn't even making wine (much to my dismay).

Another consideration is that in most wine growing regions there are numerous microclimates which interact in unique ways with each grape varietal so that adds to the vintage variation, as does vineyard management and winemaker manipulation.

antflies

Ordered and had to pay tax for the first time.

Anyone else?

ThunderThighs

Staff

antflies wrote:Ordered and had to pay tax for the first time.

Anyone else?

Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information. on the changes to Wine checkout that started Feb 22, 2012.

antflies

Opened first bottle. Seems thin. Flavor of oak is prominant.
texture as thin as Pinot.