Calstar El Dorado County 2008 Zinfandel 750ml 4-Pack
$64.99 $̶1̶1̶9̶.̶5̶5̶ 46% off List Price
2008 Alta Zin, El Dorado County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

coolchris160

quality posts: 50 Private Messages coolchris160

Hmmm, it is pretty quiet on here tonight. Has anyone had this before and could offer up some notes and/or their opinion about this wine? Thanks in advance.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

There was a CalStar wine.woot plus a few months ago. Hopefully someone chimes in.

calstarcellars

quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars
coolchris160 wrote:Hmmm, it is pretty quiet on here tonight. Has anyone had this before and could offer up some notes and/or their opinion about this wine? Thanks in advance.

okay, since this is one of my "children" I love it. Seriously, slight earthy mushroomy on nose, with dark fruit underneath. Palate is dark fruit and bramble with firm, ripe tannins and balanced acidity. Pair with anything from burgers through paella, with stops at BBQ and pizza.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

I confess, I bought some last time they were on and haven't cracked one open yet.
Has it been that long ?
I did give a bottle away to my brother in law for his BD and he was quite happy.
Maybe later today I will do the deed and report back. But at 530am, it just doesn't seem like the right time. I could be wrong. It might go perfectly well with oatmeal.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
ceagee wrote:I confess, I bought some last time they were on and haven't cracked one open yet.
Has it been that long ?
I did give a bottle away to my brother in law for his BD and he was quite happy.
Maybe later today I will do the deed and report back. But at 530am, it just doesn't seem like the right time. I could be wrong. It might go perfectly well with oatmeal.

"at 5:30, it just doesn't seem like the right time. (?)" You mean when they say it's 5 o'clock somewhere, they were talking about pm?

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
jmdavidson wrote:"at 5:30, it just doesn't seem like the right time. (?)" You mean when they say it's 5 o'clock somewhere, they were talking about pm?

There's always a catch!

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

This article gives brief tasting notes on this vintage as one of several wines paired with food. It was paired with Cabot Cheddar:

http://www.blindspectator.com/?p=413

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I bought this last time and have cracked open a bottle before. Don't have tasting notes but I do like it. However, I don't love it. It feels more new world style. A bit jammier than I'd like. But it is easy drinking. I actually was thinking of opening another bottle tonight with dinner. Maybe then I'll have more detailed notes.

tjhoward

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tjhoward
coolchris160 wrote:Hmmm, it is pretty quiet on here tonight. Has anyone had this before and could offer up some notes and/or their opinion about this wine? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

This is my third purchase of this lovely wine. Goes without saying, that I am very pleased with it. Fantastic wine for everyday drinking. Bottle a day, makes the Dr. go away!!

calstarcellars

tjhoward wrote:Hello,

This is my third purchase of this lovely wine. Goes without saying, that I am very pleased with it. Fantastic wine for everyday drinking. Bottle a day, makes the Dr. go away!!

Thanks for your continued support, love to have you check out some of my other wines.

adammuth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adammuth

aaaannd i like the Jammm.... it's definitely there. That is what I look for and the numbers certainly add up on the Specs. I think this wine would have been even better 2-3 years ago. As with some of the wines I have bought on woot, the older ones seem to be past peak and on their way down the hill.

I bought this wine on the first woot I saw probably 6 months ago and then added another case on the second woot in Jan/Feb. A friend added an order as well. To my knowledge, this will be the third woot for this product. It's a good buy at this price especially if you average in the shipping on a case. I would not buy this at winery retail but it will compete well with any other $18 bottle.

wdrmhbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdrmhbs

No tasting notes or anything on this.
All I remember was that I loved it and drank all 4 of the bottles very quickly. Been waiting for it to come back :D

calstarcellars

[quote postid="5399679" user="adammuth"]aaaannd i like the Jammm.... it's definitely there. That is what I look for and the numbers certainly add up on the Specs. I think this wine would have been even better 2-3 years ago. As with some of the wines I have bought on woot, the older ones seem to be past peak and on their way down the hill.

Sorry you feel that way, my thoughts on it are that is at peak and holding for at least another year. I was a little fresher 2 years ago, but the tannins were more pronounced at the same time.

adammuth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adammuth

Absolutely no apologies are necessary, Sir. Only stating my opinion which certainly doesn't make it right and I would never knock someone with such carnal knowledge as being the maker, on when the wine was at its peak and too much tannins are never a good thing so thanks for waiting! Please keep in mind. I enjoyed it enough to re-purchase a full case on the second go-round!

Thanks for your comment, your service, and making a great wine.

Drinking a bottle tonight, as a matter of fact, because of this posting. Again, very good stuff. Seems best to breathe for a least an hour before drinking (which never hurts most wines) smooths it out even more. Not much sediment at all.

Cheers!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Thanks to Rick for joining us today and making this Zin available on Woot. We've enjoyed all of his Calstar wines (try the Londer Pinot...!)

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

calstarcellars

adammuth wrote:Absolutely no apologies are necessary, Sir. Only stating my opinion which certainly doesn't make it right and I would never knock someone with such carnal knowledge as being the maker, on when the wine was at its peak and too much tannins are never a good thing so thanks for waiting! Please keep in mind. I enjoyed it enough to re-purchase a full case on the second go-round!

Thanks for your comment, your service, and making a great wine.

Drinking a bottle tonight, as a matter of fact, because of this posting. Again, very good stuff. Seems best to breathe for a least an hour before drinking (which never hurts most wines) smooths it out even more. Not much sediment at all.

Cheers!

Thank you and sorry if I seemed touchy, the aeration you mentioned definitely helps it.

tjhoward

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tjhoward

Hi Rick,

Just want you to know that I adore this wine. Me thinks, it is just the best!!

Cheers,

TH

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

@calstarcellars :

Hi Rick,
Last time we discussed that lovely Sauvignon Blanc you make. Any chance of bringing an offering of it to Woot ?