Harvest Moon Russian River Valley Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$53.99 $̶9̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2011 Harvest Moon Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

I've been waiting for this! I had two opportunities to taste this recently. First was at the winery during Barrel Tasting weekend. We had the pleasure of Randy's attention and wisdom for a good hour or so, and he had the graciousness to open up a bottle of his first estate Zin. If you want to be convinced that Zins age (although after the SoCal tasting, no more convincing needed) then you should also pick up his Zin.

Anyway, back to this wine, the 2011 RRV Pinot Noir. Randy et al told us this was going to be an upcoming woot, so I got out the notebook to take some notes. Keep in mind this was midway through Sunday of a long weekend of tasting:

The bottle was freshly opened. Nose was slightly smoky, earthy, and a bit of cherry. Flavour was slightly vegetal with some minerality. No tannin to speak of. Some strawberry and cherry to round out the fruity aspect. The wine was very bright and light with a medium finish. It's not the wine to lay down for a decade, but it's lively and will not disappoint.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I tried this a few weeks ago. I'll get my notes together in the morning.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

loveladyelectric wrote:I tried this a few weeks ago. I'll get my notes together in the morning.

But...but... I want them NOW!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

klezman

I mentioned I had two chances to taste this wine. Turns out that I met a friend in the parking lot of Harvest Moon who handed me a bottle of this with a nudge and a wink.

Molarchae and I opened it a week ago and got to spend an evening with it. Although it didn't really last the entire evening.

Pop n pour: brilliant purple, very light in colour, edge of the rim actually trended toward transparent and colourless. The wine was ever so slightly cloudy (fine particulate). Nose was earthy, slightly spicy with a hint of cherry. Palate was nice and balanced - plenty of acid but not too much. Very easy to drink with raspberry and bright cherry flavours and a decently long finish dominated by mushroom.

Pop + 15 minutes: More fruit forward on the palate, but followed up by more mushroom throughout the wine.

Pop + 45 minutes: The spicy notes and acid have moved a bit more to the front and the wine was getting more interesting.

I don't have any notes past this point. Molarchae and I finished the bottle off without any real effort since it's so easy drinking and perfectly balanced. And kudos to Randy for making an excellent RRV Pinot Noir with a) 12.5% alcohol and b) none of that cherry cola flavour that seems to dominate some of the more, um, bombastic examples from the AVA.

Bottom line: hard to imagine not liking this wine. Unless you hate mushrooms. This will be a great drinker this summer and next, maybe even until 2015. But there's no need to wait on this one - it's ready to go right now. Only woot PN I've had that would beat this value was D'Ontspille, and that's Woot Cellars.

I will not be purchasing this one, since I walked out of Harvest Moon that afternoon with a case, while my compatriots bought another 1.5 cases.

Thanks WD, Neil, and Randy for making this woot happen. This should sell out by noon. and thanks, Randy, for spending so much time chatting with us at the winery during a busy barrel tasting.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin

I've got half a dozen different HM's and good notes on both the Gewurtz and Zin I've opened so far.
Also a '09 PN, but yet unopened.
Interested in this but Klez's remarks regarding aging cause pause. Would like some additional info from the winery to help with the decision, and those other promised TN's.
A bit pricier than earlier, but the times change.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:I've got half a dozen different HM's and good notes on both the Gewurtz and Zin I've opened so far.
Interested in this but Klez's remarks regarding aging cause pause. Would like some additional info from the winery to help with the decision, and those other promised TN's.

Do you want/need all your wine to age for decades?

randyzin

quality posts: 24 Private Messages randyzin

Greetings,

Thanks for stopping by. This RRV Pinot Noir deal is probably one of the best deal on woot 2013... This is not a sledgehammer Pinot Noir rather one with finesse and elegance... At 12%, this wine is packed full of perfumy rose pedal and spice. If you like more flowers-style over corporate wine spec style Pinots, this is your summer sipper.

I produced 180 cases more than in the past so I'm serving this one up now... The tannins are not massive, however the natural acidity will carry this wine for a few years. This wine promises NOT to disappoint...

rjquillin wrote:I've got half a dozen different HM's and good notes on both the Gewurtz and Zin I've opened so far.

randyzin

Hello Woot Folk,

I am offering today my small production Estate Russian river Valley Pinot Noir. Harvest Moon is proud to craft elegant, low-acohol wines from our fog-drenched vineyards in the heart of the Russian River Valley. With only moderate sugars, my four-man crew and I are some of the first to harvest Pinot capturing the perfumed, rose and spice that comes with a 12% alcohol Pinot Noir. When reviewing ths wine, think Flowers rather than a NYC corporate Pinot. This is not a Pinot acting like a big bad syrah... Light body and light color are to be expected with this complex and layered style. Worth the taste. I'll buy back any bottles you are not happy with... randy@harvestmoonwinery.com

The 2011 growing season brought about some of the coolest weather patterns in almost 40 years. with the fog lingering till after lunch vs burning off at 9 AM kept the earth cooler than normal. In 2011, our July afternoons peaked out at a mere 72 compared to the typical 85-87 degrees. This very cool, long season allowed the sugars to very slowly ripen and the tartaric and citric acids to soften... couple this with thin skins, the aromas and flavors are delicate yet vibrant and pronounced. This is a pinot meant to be consumed within a few years.. or your first spring BBQ... Enjoy and ask Questions!!!

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

It's great to have Harvest Moon back on woot. Thanks Randy for this offering! I'm surprised that you ended up with 180 cases more in 2011 when most producers suffered losses. As I understand it a lot of folks pruned leaf cover to help grapes ripen, since it was so cool. Then a late heat wave burned the exposed fruit. Since you were going for a lower ABV, did you avoid pruning? Also, did you add vines or just reserve more of this Pinot for your estate bottling?

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

abyra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abyra

Just got back from the Oregon coast and having more than my fair share of Pinot (well, not really). We liked the 2010 local vintages, can anyone tell me how this RRV Pinot would compare?

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Do you want/need all your wine to age for decades?

Ha, no, but I could see how it would seem like that. I am so behind the curve on bottles I need to consume that when adding additional I do hope for a drink-by date of at least a few years out. And I have enjoyed those other HM's.

CT

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

I'm low on Pinot, so this sounds like a great time to stock up. In for two!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

randyzin

Thanks for stopping by. You are talking about the 2010 vintage where it was also a cool growing season but on August 22nd, we had a huge heat spell that caused major sun burn after 75% of us pulled afternoon leaves to get some sun in and mother nature handed our butts to us. That's where we lost tonnage. 2011 was the coolest summer patterns in 40 years. The tonnage was up because I picked up an additional vineyard. The 2011 is an awesome wine.

pcuccaro wrote:It's great to have Harvest Moon back on woot. Thanks Randy for this offering! I'm surprised that you ended up with 180 cases more in 2011 when most producers suffered losses. As I understand it a lot of folks pruned leaf cover to help grapes ripen, since it was so cool. Then a late heat wave burned the exposed fruit. Since you were going for a lower ABV, did you avoid pruning? Also, did you add vines or just reserve more of this Pinot for your estate bottling?

randyzin

Cool sumer weather brought us a very long growing season bringing the sugars to only moderate maturity which for me was excellent. There were many growers and winefolk who got caught with their pants down by not harvesting, looking for the breakneck sugars which they never got as the rain came and stayed... I participated in a documentary where I was driving around with the film maker
as others were harvesting in downpour...

Some consider the 2011 vintage an "off" year... not me. thin skins from cool summer brought light color and light body but very intense perfumes and red apple potporri... This wine is something more akin to sonoma coast pinots... a mere 12% vs the monster pinots that are in my neighborhood.

abyra wrote:Just got back from the Oregon coast and having more than my fair share of Pinot (well, not really). We liked the 2010 local vintages, can anyone tell me how this RRV Pinot would compare?

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Brief review and recommended food pairings with this wine:

http://www.sonomacountygazette.com/cms/pages/categories-rtn-sonoma-col-arg1-columns-arg2-Wine%20Country%20-%20Sonoma%20County%20Style-article-1319.html

GlendaCC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GlendaCC
Cesare wrote:Harvest Moon Russian River Valley Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$53.99 $̶9̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2011 Harvest Moon Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website
  • Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.
  • Sales tax is now calculated and charged at checkout for your location.

• I call BS on that one. I have visited this winery and they have shipped wine to my house in Indiana.

rjquillin

randyzin wrote:The 2011 growing season brought about some of the coolest weather patterns in almost 40 years. with the fog lingering till after lunch vs burning off at 9 AM kept the earth cooler than normal. In 2011, our July afternoons peaked out at a mere 72 compared to the typical 85-87 degrees. This very cool, long season allowed the sugars to very slowly ripen and the tartaric and citric acids to soften... couple this with thin skins, the aromas and flavors are delicate yet vibrant and pronounced. This is a pinot meant to be consumed within a few years.. or your first spring BBQ... Enjoy and ask Questions!!!

Randy,
    some notes from your vintners book would be great here, harvest brix, pH, TA and cooperage perhaps?

CT

randyzin

Harvest was at the end of the first week in September 2011. Brix came in around 22.1, ph was around 3.4 and TA was approximately .62 at crush. No tartaric acid or water was added... There are nearly NO winery producing Pinot Noir who can say they neither acidulate or hydrate their Pinot Noir. cheers

rjquillin wrote:Randy,
    some notes from your vintners book would be great here, harvest brix, pH, TA and cooperage perhaps?

loveladyelectric

This was left under my pillow shortly after a wisdom tooth extraction. Thank you Dwayne Johnson.

I opened this bottle and immediately poured it through my Vinturi into a decanter. First thing I noticed were tiny, effervescent bubbles all along the rim. I waited for these to go away before I tried it, which took about five minutes.

The color was a cherry red, with hints of purple, and was completely diaphanous. This translucence was on par with any rose I've ever had- I could see my fingerprints on the other side of the glass through the widest point in the glass. At this point I'm pretty confused, but intrigued.

The nose was dominated by very CORRECTION: under-ripe fruit and green vegetation. Strawberry stood out the most, with hints of cherry and kiwi. A hint of vegetation that seemed most like raw, ripe brussel sprouts and asparagus. The nose had a hint of spice and smokiness on the end that came out after half an hour, but completely vanished after 2 hours.

Taste was exactly like the smell. Lighter red fruit, mostly strawberry, with a very green, vegetation note. Wine was very light, with good acid and a nice lingering after taste that might have been the only thing to convince me it wasn't a rose. After 2 hours the strawberry had faded and a stronger taste of cherry came out with a small amount of spice. I usually associate the cherry, spice, and acid combination to be the "cola" taste I get in a lot of CA pinot noirs, but this one never got nearly sweet or fruit-forward enough to fall in that category. I will also note that the wine was very easy to drink, but didn't offer anything as far as complexity goes. The spice notes were very faint, and there were seemingly no tannins.
    I poured it back in the bottle, put the cork in, and opened it two days later. Nothing much had changed in the way of flavor, but after about 30 minutes in the glass the wine completely fell apart.

My final thoughts are that this wine was far too CORRECTION under-ripe for my taste. If you like very light pinot noirs, this may be worth a try. I drink a lot if pinot noir and this is by far the lightest red wine I've ever seen. The 2011 vintage was very cold all year, so most people harvested much, much later than normal. From what I've read, Harvest Moon likes to harvest slightly before the sugar saturation gets too high. These two things could have (this is conjecture) lead to the wine being picked too early. Obviously this is subjective and I haven't tried any of their other vintages to compare. Perhaps I'm missing out on a whole world of very light pinot noirs.

abyra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abyra
    randyzin wrote:Cool sumer weather brought us a very long growing season bringing the sugars to only moderate maturity which for me was excellent. There were many growers and winefolk who got caught with their pants down by not harvesting, looking for the breakneck sugars which they never got as the rain came and stayed... I participated in a documentary where I was driving around with the film maker
    as others were harvesting in downpour...

Some consider the 2011 vintage an "off" year... not me. thin skins from cool summer brought light color and light body but very intense perfumes and red apple potporri... This wine is something more akin to sonoma coast pinots... a mere 12% vs the monster pinots that are in my neighborhood.

Thanks Randy!
    I appreciate the response. My mouth is starting to water thinking about a grilled pork roast or artichoke pizza's on the grill and a nice glass. I'm in for at least one

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
    GlendaCC wrote:I call BS on that one. I have visited this winery and they have shipped wine to my house in Indiana.

BS may be a little strong without additional info. The license is year to year, so maybe Randy didn't renew it this year because it wasn't cost effective. It is also possible that the list has an error, which one of the woot folks or Randy can check into. Some states also have qty limits and the winery may have already exceeded their quota. Read up on the licensing laws affecting your individual state.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
    loveladyelectric wrote:
    I opened this bottle and immediately poured it through my Vinturi into a decanter.

In my experience this can really ruin light bodied Pinots, especially if the tannins are fine or if there is sediment. I much prefer the slow ox method of decanting.

loveladyelectric wrote:
    My final thoughts are that this wine was far too ripe for my taste.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around this wine being too "ripe". At 12% abv, 3.4 pH and all the comments about being extremely light bodied... Can you elaborate how this wine was overripe for your taste?

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
    trifecta wrote:BS may be a little strong without additional info. The license is year to year, so maybe Randy didn't renew it this year because it wasn't cost effective. It is also possible that the list has an error, which one of the woot folks or Randy can check into. Some states also have qty limits and the winery may have already exceeded their quota. Read up on the licensing laws affecting your individual state.

Wine.woot never ships to IN, at least not when they're selling wine. Apparently IN allows at least some direct shipments from wineries to consumers but does not allow third party shipments, e.g. wine.woot.
    EDIT: Turns out IN currently has a "previous visit" requirement which is why GlendaCC was able to get wine shipped to her since she visited the winery. Current legislation will remove that requirement but will not go so far as to allow wholesalers or third parties to ship wine to IN.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
    trifecta wrote:BS may be a little strong without additional info. The license is year to year, so maybe Randy didn't renew it this year because it wasn't cost effective. It is also possible that the list has an error, which one of the woot folks or Randy can check into. Some states also have qty limits and the winery may have already exceeded their quota. Read up on the licensing laws affecting your individual state.

Don't forget that they also could have shipped it to him through some other sort of third party distributor.

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
    trifecta wrote:I am having trouble wrapping my head around this wine being too "ripe". At 12% abv, 3.4 pH and all the comments about being extremely light bodied... Can you elaborate how this wine was overripe for your taste?

My guess is that this style of Pinot is not to his liking. Randy mentioned its more like a Sonoma coast Pinot. When I read the description I was thinking carneros. This style is very light and fruity. And while the fruit is very prominent it wouldn't be considered over ripe.

CT

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

I'm with Trifecta. Not a fan of Vinturi or aerators. Can strip away many of the finer nuances in wine.

randyzin

This wine does not need decanting... This is an unmanipulated 12% alc Pinot Noir, not a Pinot acting like a syrah. Ready to go.

kaolis wrote:I'm with Trifecta. Not a fan of Vinturi or aerators. Can strip away many of the finer nuances in wine.

loveladyelectric

randyzin wrote:This wine does not need decanting... This is an unmanipulated 12% alc Pinot Noir, not a Pinot acting like a syrah. Ready to go.

Hmm, maybe I should stop using the vinturi.

I'm no pro when it comes to describing what I'm tasting, so when I say the wine is ripe, I mean the fruit and vegetation I was tasting were more ripe flavored (lighter and less sweet) than what I'm used to. If there is an established meaning for the wording I chose, I apologize.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
    loveladyelectric wrote:Hmm, maybe I should stop using the vinturi.

I'm no pro when it comes to describing what I'm tasting, so when I say the wine is ripe, I mean the fruit and vegetation I was tasting were more ripe flavored (lighter and less sweet) than what I'm used to. If there is an established meaning for the wording I chose, I apologize.

Ripe wrt wine generally means over extracted fruit. Imagine a really ripe banana -- much more sweet and fruity than one that is perhaps just right or even underripe.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
    loveladyelectric wrote:Hmm, maybe I should stop using the vinturi.

I think it's just a matter of words being chosen here, but I would not describe something as ripe if it were lighter and less sweet. Heavier and more extracted is what I would I could associate with being more ripe. Lighter and less sweet would maybe be fresher (as opposed to ripe) and more crisp, maybe?

This is why tasting notes are fun, and frustrating at the same time. Not everyone uses the same words to describe the same things!

Oh, and I wouldn't say I have stopped using my Vinturi, but I certainly don't use it as much anymore, unless in a pinch. I tend to just uncork a bottle a little while before I pour it, and if I know it is going to need more air, then I decant it. Vinturi works better for traveling though and when in need of quick air.

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

loveladyelectric

Noted. Thanks guys! I'll do some more reading on note taking to try and sound more in line with what I'm tasting.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
    loveladyelectric wrote:Noted. Thanks guys! I'll do some more reading on note taking to try and sound more in line with what I'm tasting.

A good place to start:

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=2187870

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
    kaolis wrote:I'm with Trifecta. Not a fan of Vinturi or aerators. Can strip away many of the finer nuances in wine.

I think it depends on the wine. Young wines can benefit from aeration if they're opened before they've been properly aged. Some might say it's better to just pour into a decanter and wait... which is fine, if you have enough time to wait. But there are wines that take hours before they open up, and I don't always have the requisite time.

I use a vinturi for some wines, and not for others. If I'm not sure about a given bottle, I take a couple sips with and without aeration, and decide. I don't think I've ever just poured an entire bottle through a vinturi though -- when I use it, it's usually a glass at a time. Sometimes the first glass goes through the aerator, and then subsequent glasses don't because what's left in the bottle or decanter has opened up on its own.

More specifically, though, I don't think I've ever used an aerator with Pinot. Agree with others that they're typically more delicate -- normal decanting or even just swirling in the glass is usually pretty effective.

randyzin

Describing a wine that's "very ripe" then using the words "green and vegetative" on the same wine contradicts... This wine is probably the first Pinot noir harvested in the Russian River each season. If one is only used to drinking mainstream Pinot, then they would not understand this style. It's not for everyone but its my kinda Pinot. Those who like Burgundian Pinot will like this one. It's one if my personal fav's.

ostid="5398886"user="loveladyelectric"]This was left under my pillow shortly after a wisdom tooth extraction. Thank you Dwayne Johnson.

I opened this bottle and immediately poured it through my Vinturi into a decanter. First thing I noticed were tiny, effervescent bubbles all along the rim. I waited for these to go away before I tried it, which took about five minutes.

The color was a cherry red, with hints of purple, and was completely diaphanous. This translucence was on par with any rose I've ever had- I could see my fingerprints on the other side of the glass through the widest point in the glass. At this point I'm pretty confused, but intrigued.

The nose was dominated by very ripe fruit and ripe, green vegetation. Strawberry stood out the most, with hints of cherry and kiwi. A hint of vegetation that seemed most like raw, ripe brussel sprouts and asparagus. The nose had a hint of spice and smokiness on the end that came out after half an hour, but completely vanished after 2 hours.

Taste was exactly like the smell. Lighter red fruit, mostly strawberry, with a very green, vegetation note. Wine was very light, with good acid and a nice lingering after taste that might have been the only thing to convince me it wasn't a rose. After 2 hours the strawberry had faded and a stronger taste of cherry came out with a small amount of spice. I usually associate the cherry, spice, and acid combination to be the "cola" taste I get in a lot of CA pinot noirs, but this one never got nearly sweet or fruit-forward enough to fall in that category. I will also note that the wine was very easy to drink, but didn't offer anything as far as complexity goes. The spice notes were very faint, and there were seemingly no tannins.
    I poured it back in the bottle, put the cork in, and opened it two days later. Nothing much had changed in the way of flavor, but after about 30 minutes in the glass the wine completely fell apart.

My final thoughts are that this wine was far too ripe for my taste. If you like very light pinot noirs, this may be worth a try. I drink a lot if pinot noir and this is by far the lightest red wine I've ever seen. The 2011 vintage was very cold all year, so most people harvested much, much later than normal. From what I've read, Harvest Moon likes to harvest slightly before the sugar saturation gets too high. These two things could have (this is conjecture) lead to the wine being picked too early. Obviously this is subjective and I haven't tried any of their other vintages to compare. Perhaps I'm missing out on a whole world of very light pinot noirs.[/quote]

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

I'm in. Having said I'm not an aeration fan, and the winery stating ready to rock and roll, I have a plan. Going to drill two holes in the cork. One larger than the the other. The large hole for drinking, the small hole, well, for aeration. Cuz I'm doing the whole darn bottle as a shooter.

KENTUCKYBLUE05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KENTUCKYBLUE05

Visited this winery in 2011 and absolutely loved there Pinot noir. Highly recommended this Woot today!

rjquillin

loveladyelectric wrote:Noted. Thanks guys! I'll do some more reading on note taking to try and sound more in line with what I'm tasting.

A book recommended by rpm I found most enlightening is Wines - Their Sensory Evaluation 1St edition by A, Amerine Maynard; Roessler, Edward B. published by W.H.Freeman... (Jan 1, 1976) . I have the 1976 edition, but it looks like there is a newer one as well. The first half is on tasting/evaluation, the second on statistical procedures. Interesting, but not all the practical for our level of interest excepting some evaluation forms.

CT

jdick17

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdick17

Oh man, I went tasting here YEARS ago--maybe 5 or 6? Was so struck by Randy's dry gewurztraminer. He poured for us that day and was just such a joy to talk to about his wine. I just remember the lovely zins and the gewurst from that trip, but I bet this is great. Wish I could get deliveries at work, else I'd totally be in for one.