joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

"migrating" from the WoWW tab.

Original thread can be found here

Date: April 6th
Host: joelsisk
Theme: interesting wine
Bring: 1 bottle of wine per drinker and a vegetarian/dairy appetizer or dessert to share.

Attending:
joelsisk (+4-6)
loreelu (+ 2-3)
NonnaWY (+ 1-2)
tamarsmolowitz
cubluffs (+1)

Maybe:
MarkDaSpark

Regrets:
megward

tamarsmolowitz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamarsmolowitz

Ok, I know we're still "theme undetermined" but since we're only a couple days away, I was wondering if we could figure out some logistics.

1)Did we pick a time?
2)Joel, how do you want to go about disclosing location? Publicly, or should we send you a private message to get your address?
3)About a theme, if an all-Pinot Noir night ain't working for people, what about a theme that encourages more variety (pick a wine that starts with the third letter of your last name, a wine you picked up at a place you've vacationed, a wine - regardless of style - that you only bought cause you liked the label but ended up liking, etc...)?

megward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward

Clearly I need to drop into the WW forums more often.

I think we'd be up for it - have to check with the husband. Although -- kids or no kids? The two I had at the last gathering are older now, but not old enough to leave on their own.

joelsisk

tamarsmolowitz wrote:Ok, I know we're still "theme undetermined" but since we're only a couple days away, I was wondering if we could figure out some logistics.

1)Did we pick a time?

Let's say, start between 7/7:30? Give people a chance to grab dinner, and give us a chance to get the kiddos ready for bed.

2)Joel, how do you want to go about disclosing location? Publicly, or should we send you a private message to get your address?

I'll PM the address.

3)About a theme, if an all-Pinot Noir night ain't working for people, what about a theme that encourages more variety (pick a wine that starts with the third letter of your last name, a wine you picked up at a place you've vacationed, a wine - regardless of style - that you only bought cause you liked the label but ended up liking, etc...)?

Yup. I guess it's executive decision time. Since it was originally your idea, you want to take a stab? (or select from those already suggested?)

megward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages megward
megward wrote:Clearly I need to drop into the WW forums more often.

I think we'd be up for it - have to check with the husband. Although -- kids or no kids? The two I had at the last gathering are older now, but not old enough to leave on their own.

Regrettably, it turns out we were booked already. I would be willing to host one later in the summer though.

joelsisk

megward wrote:Regrettably, it turns out we were booked already. I would be willing to host one later in the summer though.

Sorry to miss you Meg!

joelsisk

Let's make this theme thing easy, since we're only 2 days out.

Just bring a bottle that you think others will find interesting. "unusual" bottles (varietal/location/age) are encouraged.

For reference, typical bottles at gatherings range from $15-20. Bonus points for bottles not sold on woot!

As a reminder, please bring a vegetarian/dairy snack/appetizer or desert to share.

PMs sent! Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!

tamarsmolowitz

joelsisk wrote:Let's make this theme thing easy, since we're only 2 days out.

Just bring a bottle that you think others will find interesting. "unusual" bottles (varietal/location/age) are encouraged.

For reference, typical bottles at gatherings range from $15-20. Bonus points for bottles not sold on woot!

As a reminder, please bring a vegetarian/dairy snack/appetizer or desert to share.

PMs sent! Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!

Thanks for all this, Joel! Thanks for hosting. Looks like I will be bringing a friend now.

I have one really unusual bottle, but I'm debating about whether to open it without my husband. It's called Holy Mole, and I picked it up in Santa Fe. It's a red wine with natural almond, chocolate and red chile added -- bought it for a dinner to make a meal to go with both that and New Belgium's Cocoa Mole beer, and then accidentally drank the last of the Cocoa Mole beer.

Also thanks for the clarification about the non-woot bottles preferred. I wasn't sure whether at these woot gatherings you were supposed to bring woot-only or not!

joelsisk

tamarsmolowitz wrote:

I have one really unusual bottle, but I'm debating about whether to open it without my husband. It's called Holy Mole, and I picked it up in Santa Fe.

No need to bring a "special" bottle, unless you have a strong desire to share. It's totally up to you, but you can cruise the aisles at any wine store to try to find something you might find interesting.

I did not mean to say you COULDn't bring a wine.woot bottle. But, given that this is a tasting, I think the possibility that people may have purchased that bottle and tried it before, might make that less interesting. .. That said, if the numbers hold up, it's only a 50/50 split in the wooters to non at best. On top of which the wooters who are coming are probably not buying every offer, Which means that it may be just fine. In the past, when woot had just one offer per week, this was a greater incentive.

And to wrap up my too long post, all I really meant was don't bring a barefoot or yellowtail or the-currently-most-popular-available-anywhere wine. I'm thinking of opening a Souzao (which incidentally WAS from wine.woot 4+ years ago), among other options.

tamarsmolowitz

joelsisk wrote:No need to bring a "special" bottle, unless you have a strong desire to share. It's totally up to you, but you can cruise the aisles at any wine store to try to find something you might find interesting.

Cool. Yeah, having bought this wine for a specific purpose now gone, it's ripe to be opened. Plus it fits the "interesting and different" theme better than anything I've ever seen. I'll see what else is at the store. Thanks for the clarification that we're talking basically not Yellowtail/Barefoot. That does help.

joelsisk wrote:I did not mean to say you COULDn't bring a wine.woot bottle. But, given that this is a tasting, I think the possibility that people may have purchased that bottle and tried it before, might make that less interesting. .. That said, if the numbers hold up, it's only a 50/50 split in the wooters to non at best. On top of which the wooters who are coming are probably not buying every offer, Which means that it may be just fine. In the past, when woot had just one offer per week, this was a greater incentive.

Also thanks for clarifying this for the new folks among us. The only event I've gone to had a theme of Woot cellars, so I wasn't sure if bringing a woot bottle was always an expectation or not. Seemed pretty limiting to me, but wasn't sure if it was traditional for some reason.

See you all tomorrow eve.

joelsisk

We have GoVino cups for the crowd, but if you have a preferred glass feel free to bring it. We have some riedel sommelier varietal-specific glasses that we will use.

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY

I'm a no-go for tonight. I'm judging at the HS District Speech meet and won't be done until late afternoon. Thought I could get free in time to drive down, but they are short judges.

I promise, another time.

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Not to hijack the thread for an event out of my area, but...

Generally I don't at all mind seeing woot! wine offerings at tastings, as I may have the very bottle, unopened, and tasting would help me formulate just when to considering consumption. But I have entirely too many unopened bottles so I'm likely not a typical example either...

CT

joelsisk

Great evening. Lasted way longer than I expected, which was nice.

Wine List:
1. 2010 Meinklang Gruener Veltliner
2. 2010 Infinite Monkey Theorem Chardonnay
3. 2009 Chateau du Vampire Rousanne
4. Ritchie Slater Winery Red Raspberry wine
5. Ritchie Slater Winery "moonlight" (34% red raspberry, 33% logan berry, 33% blackberry) wine
6. 2011 Merkin Vineyard Shinola
7. 2004 Esoterica Souzao
8. 2010 M by Martellotto Cabernet Sauvignon
9. 2007 Chateau du Vampire Cabernet Sauvignon
10. 2001 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon
11. 1997 V. Sattui Cabernet Sauvignon
12. Infinite Monkey Theorem Back Alley Moscato (in a can!)

tamarsmolowitz

Thanks for hosting. We had a great time!