Salexis Wines Napa Valley Merlot 3-Pack
$49.99 $̶1̶1̶2̶.̶0̶0̶ 55% off List Price
2003 Salexis Wines, Snowden Vineyards Napa Valley Merlot
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

Salexis gets the geeky details we like, even the how long can we cellar it.
But John, WW won't let us purchase four!

Well aged Merlot, sounds interesting.
TN's anyone?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

Alcohol seems high but the Brix were as well so it makes sense. Any RS in this one?

CT

salexiswinesjg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages salexiswinesjg

Hey Wooters.

John Gibson of Salexis Wines here. I want to tell you a bit about the wine were are offering today. In 1991, I was fortunate to spend time in Bordeaux and tasted wines at all but one of the First Growths and Chateau Petrus as well. What impressed me the most were the wines from Pomerol. These Merlot based wines were concentrated, focused, and full for fruit character. It was these experiences that motivated us to pursue making a age worthy Merlot.

The wine were are offering today is our 2003 Snowden Vineyards Merlot. The vineyard is located 800 feet off the Napa Valley floor above Rutherford. After crushing, we held the must cold for 72 hours and then inoculated for fermentation. We are steadfast in leaving our red wines on the skins for extended maceration. This wine was on the skins for a total of 35 days. Using only the free run wine, it was then transferred to 2/3 new Chateau style barrels. This bottling is 100% Merlot and is nearly 10 years old and nearing its peak potential.

salexiswinesjg

Picking Merlot before the fruit is fully mature leads to green and herbaceous characters which in many cases has given Merlot a bad reputation. Think of Miles in the movie Sideways. We pick our fruit based on fruit flavors and are not terribly concerned about higher alcohol. The wine is completely dry.

cortot20 wrote:Alcohol seems high but the Brix were as well so it makes sense. Any RS in this one?

Staffist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Staffist

How, exactly, does one get bumped from being the 'First Sucker'? I was both 'First Sucker' and 'Last Wooter to Woot' for about 9 minutes.

Until a moment ago, I would have thought that I couldn't care less about such things.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Staffist wrote:How, exactly, does one get bumped from being the 'First Sucker'? I was both 'First Sucker' and 'Last Wooter to Woot' for about 9 minutes.

Until a moment ago, I would have thought that I couldn't care less about such things.

Interesting...it does look like you got bumped. I'll send in a ticket and find out why..

Sorry bout' that! :D

karlbachman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karlbachman

So where does one find this ranking?

ROGETRAY wrote:Interesting...it does look like you got bumped. I'll send in a ticket and find out why..

Sorry bout' that! :D

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

karlbachman wrote:So where does one find this ranking?

It's under the "Sales Stats" tab on the main page, in between "Winery" and "Top Comments". You can get to the page by clicking the image and going to the actual sale.

karlbachman

Thanks!

ROGETRAY wrote:It's under the "Sales Stats" tab on the main page, in between "Winery" and "Top Comments". You can get to the page by clicking the image and going to the actual sale.

karlbachman

Next to the left handed hammer I presume....

karlbachman wrote:Thanks!

areyoufuckingkiddingme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages areyoufuckingkiddingme

I'm very happy to make this my first wine purchase. If any of you know how great Napa is then I'm sure we will all enjoy this flavor together. It was also the year I graduated

For three of these bottles it would cost $96.00 + shipping/tax ($120.00!)

Mmmmazing

joseph1951

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joseph1951

wine enthusiast review:90 points
Salexis 2003 Merlot (Napa Valley)
Price:$36
Varietal:Merlot
Appellation:Napa Valley, Napa, California, US
Winery:Salexis
Alcohol:15.5%
Production:375 cases
Bottle Size:750 ml
Category:Red
In Magazine:10/1/2008

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

I had a bottle of this not too long ago and have been better at keeping notes. I will share my tasting notes after my run this morning

Edit: I was able to figure out cut n paste on my IPad so notes two posts below!

"The older I get the better I was"

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

I opened a bottle of this on Sunday, since my wine critiquing brother-in-laws would be over. Knowing that merlot pairs well with grilled lamb chops, this seemed like a no-brainer for one of the wines I would open.

Upon PnP'ing, there was not much on the nose. A swirl in the glass and the wide legs inferred high alcohol. Checked the bottle and yes, 15.5%. First taste, no Venturi, and the consensus was pepper, black currant and black cherry. Good mid-palate but the finish was a little strong. Could be the alcohol, but it was dry. I think this wine is similar to a Ty Caton Merlot I've had. Also, should add that a touch of oak was noted.

After about an hour, we continued with the imbibing and found that the fruit was still prevalent but the finish was smoother and still dry. Everyone who tried this wine really liked it...and had no ill feelings towards it being a (oh no) merlot.

After everyone had gone home, I found that there was still about a half a glass left. So, five hours later I finished it off and I found this wine was totally different. No pepper now, but maybe some dark chocolate. The finish was silky.

The consensus between us was that this was a very good merlot that paired well with the chops.

Now that I see Wine Woot's price, I would say this was an excellent value.

losthighwayz

2003 merlot salexis
Shared with lovely wife
guess 40 bottle ok paying 25

PnP
Color: deep brick red/rust 
Nice legs
Nose: Dark Chocolate, vanilla, cherry like chocolate covered cherry cordials
Taste : dark cherry, vanilla, smooth, viscous, soft tannins

1 hour later
Smell: same
Taste: dust and some sediment with long after taste...15-20 seconds

Day 2: wine became disjointed, with most of the fruit gone.

Verdict: at 20/each a great QPR. The wine and bottle are classy and well made. However, I would say open within a year and drink in one sitting b/c it truly is on its last legs (nice ones at that!) Hope this helps!

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

After somewhat of a hiatus, I'm in for this one. I love a winemaker who takes Merlot seriously. Somewhat like Pinot Noir (with Merlot getting less love and attention) I think Merlot has the potential to be really great and this deal sounds intriguing.

salexiswinesjg

Good Morning Wooters!

John Gibson here again. I'll be checking in from time to time, so, if anyone has any questions about today's offering, please add a comment and I'll do my best to answer it. By the way, bad opening day for Bay Area baseball teams, the Giants and Athletics both lost.=, today must be better!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
salexiswinesjg wrote:Good Morning Wooters!

John Gibson here again. I'll be checking in from time to time, so, if anyone has any questions about today's offering, please add a comment and I'll do my best to answer it. By the way, bad opening day for Bay Area baseball teams, the Giants and Athletics both lost.=, today must be better!

Go Mariners! Sorry, but the A's are starting this year off 0-4.

I really enjoyed the Cab offered here a little while ago, and this seems a good deal. Both tasting notes above kind of lean towards this being at the end of it's life. Any thoughts on drinking window in your opinion?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

salexiswinesjg

Hey North316, a Mariners Fan and true believer! We'll see about an 0-4 start for the A's. As for the drinking window, I would say that the wine has 2 to 4 years left in it. We drank a bottle of 1999 Merlot at Christmas and it was on the edge. Have a great day.

North316 wrote:Go Mariners! Sorry, but the A's are starting this year off 0-4.

I really enjoyed the Cab offered here a little while ago, and this seems a good deal. Both tasting notes above kind of lean towards this being at the end of it's life. Any thoughts on drinking window in your opinion?

North316

salexiswinesjg wrote:Hey North316, a Mariners Fan and true believer! We'll see about an 0-4 start for the A's. As for the drinking window, I would say that the wine has 2 to 4 years left in it. We drank a bottle of 1999 Merlot at Christmas and it was on the edge. Have a great day.

We BEL13VE! I'm in Ohio and have been a long time Mariners fan and dedicated watcher (2nd cup of coffee trying to shake off the 1:30am bedtime). I wouldn't have it any other way.

This wines seems right up my alley, but I am trying hard to save money and am flush out of space. I will have to mull over this a bit.

Also, random question, do you guys make any dessert wines?

My CT

salexiswinesjg

I have made Ports for some of my winemaking clients but haven't done one for Salexis. I also made 3 bottlings of a late harvest Riesling while at Stag's Leap Wine Cellars from the Birkmyer vineyard, located high up in Wild Horse Valley above Napa. We tried the 1986 vintage a few years ago and it was fantastic!

North316 wrote:We BEL13VE! I'm in Ohio and have been a long time Mariners fan and dedicated watcher (2nd cup of coffee trying to shake off the 1:30am bedtime). I wouldn't have it any other way.

This wines seems right up my alley, but I am trying hard to save money and am flush out of space. I will have to mull over this a bit.

Also, random question, do you guys make any dessert wines?

Utbengoan82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Utbengoan82

Last Wooter to Woot:Utbengoan82

Can't wait to get them!!! :-)

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi

greetings all
in for 1
Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

Snowden Vineyards make an excellent Cabernet in the premium price range. Their vineyard is on the east side of the valley in the hills off the Silverado Trail.

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

Count me in. Merlot is an underappreciated, but truly expressive varietal when done right. It got a bit of a bad rep because of some mega producers, but can be excellent. With this age and at this price, it's a no brainer!

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS
btphillips wrote:Count me in. Merlot is an underappreciated, but truly expressive varietal when done right. It got a bit of a bad rep because of some mega producers, but can be excellent. With this age and at this price, it's a no brainer!

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I love well made Merlot. Love trying from new producers to see how theirs stacks up.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi
gwpriester wrote:Snowden Vineyards make an excellent Cabernet in the premium price range. Their vineyard is on the east side of the valley in the hills off the Silverado Trail.

someone mention Cabernet?

michilli40

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michilli40

Do I or don't I. I still have 3 orders awaiting shipment......hmmmm......the 90pts thing interest me. Maybe I'll check back later for more notes

michilli40

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michilli40
michilli40 wrote:Do I or don't I. I still have 3 orders awaiting shipment......hmmmm......the 90pts thing interest me. Maybe I'll check back later for more notes

Ah what the heck in for 2....woot gods can you speed up my back logged wine order :-) spring is finally here in Michigan and outside grilling and wine time are here

salexiswinesjg

John Gibson here. I thought I would weigh in regarding the "plight" of Merlot. When the movie Sideways came out in 2004, there was the historic line that Miles said that he wasn't going drink and f*ing Merlot. We saw Merlot sales drop by 50% in less than 3 months. Conversely, the sales of Central Coast Pinot Noir skyrocketed. It was amazing that one line in one movie could have that much effect on people's perceptions. I will be the first to admit that Merlot was over planted in every corner of California and most of the wines made deserved the negative comment. Merlot can be a very vigorous vine and without proper trellising and canopy management, it will produce herbal and veggy wines. Those of us who are committed to producing a fine Merlot were the victims of the Sideways backlash.

pinotfile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinotfile
losthighwayz wrote:2003 merlot salexis
Shared with lovely wife
guess 40 bottle ok paying 25

PnP
Color: deep brick red/rust 
Nice legs
Nose: Dark Chocolate, vanilla, cherry like chocolate covered cherry cordials
Taste : dark cherry, vanilla, smooth, viscous, soft tannins

1 hour later
Smell: same
Taste: dust and some sediment with long after taste...15-20 seconds

Day 2: wine became disjointed, with most of the fruit gone.

Verdict: at 20/each a great QPR. The wine and bottle are classy and well made. However, I would say open within a year and drink in one sitting b/c it truly is on its last legs (nice ones at that!) Hope this helps!

I'm reassured knowing that the bottle was well made as well.

losthighwayz

pinotfile wrote:I'm reassured knowing that the bottle was well made as well.

Hey, it was 5 in the morning and I was half asleep...give me a break LOL What I meant was that I dig the label though I know this has no bearing on what is inside...

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
fredrinaldi wrote:greetings all
in for 1
Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

fredrinaldi and Merlot???....Sounds very strange!

What do you know about this one?

North316

bobrush12866 wrote:fredrinaldi and Merlot???....Sounds very strange!

His wife is the merlot drinker.

My CT

bobrush12866

North316 wrote:His wife is the merlot drinker.

Oh, understand now!...Happy Wife = Happy Life!

losthighwayz

bobrush12866 wrote:fredrinaldi and Merlot???....Sounds very strange!

Fred: you will enjoy this. This is a CA Cab lover's Merlot. At least that's what I was thinking as I drank it.

bobrush12866

losthighwayz wrote:Fred: you will enjoy this. This is a CA Cab lover's Merlot. At least that's what I was thinking as I drank it.

Not a Merlot drinker.... But like aged juice! This comment makes me think maybe I'll try one set. Downside is I could just serve it to my Merlot drinking friends if I don't like it.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
losthighwayz wrote:Fred: you will enjoy this. This is a CA Cab lover's Merlot. At least that's what I was thinking as I drank it.

Have to agree. It reminded us of a cab right out of the bottle. Those who were not told it was a merlot were surprised to learn it was.