WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Judge a wine by its label?
  • 10.1% - Always. Label, first. Taste, second. - 80
  • 46.9% - Somewhat. If it’s between two wines, I go with the better label. 372
  • 43.1% - Never. I’m drinking the wine, not staring at it. 342
794 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

If it is the second or third bottle...
I can't even see the label!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I just judge beer labels since I don't like wine...said some guy who often posts similar things like this.

And yes, I've judged a wine by its label...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:And yes, I've judged a wine by its label...

Marilyn Merlot?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

forumc40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40

It's unfortunate but true that labels play at least some role in the choosing of a wine, albeit usually it's an unconscious influence. If I know a wine is good and it's something I like, the ugliest label in the world won't make a difference, but when it comes down to two wines I don't know anything about, (and buying both isn't an option) it's natural to veer toward the most visually pleasing of the two.

Ain't easy...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
otolith wrote:I just judge beer labels since I don't like wine...said some guy who often posts similar things like this.

That would be the guy who thinks Coors s a premium label.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

heatherleather

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heatherleather

The only info I care about on a wine label is Alcohol Content! :-)