MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Crack Toffee is up!!!

Edit: Me!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:Crack Toffee is up!!!

Edit: Me!!

In for toffee and salami, first purchases in a while. I really am out of space for wine :P

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mommadeb1 wrote:I am tired just READING your schedule!!! Here I'm complaining that I am tired..... I have no right!!!

Didn't you know, they never sleep. Busiest wooters in the world!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

So we're gonna look at this monster of a house on Sunday. It's a bank owned and it looks like maybe the previous owners were in the middle of redoing a bathroom and the kitchen, cause it has like almost no kitchen. It's huge though, 3k square finished feet, plus another 1500 in the basement. The thought is, if we can get the house on the cheap and finish the one bathroom we'll just kind of live with the sparse kitchen for a year and redo it next year. it's been on the market for over a year, probably cause it has ONE cabinet in the kitchen ;)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cheron98 wrote:Didn't you know, they never sleep. Busiest wooters in the world!

I'm pretty sure they travel more than Presidential canditates during the election race.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:So we're gonna look at this monster of a house on Sunday. It's a bank owned and it looks like maybe the previous owners were in the middle of redoing a bathroom and the kitchen, cause it has like almost no kitchen. It's huge though, 3k square finished feet, plus another 1500 in the basement. The thought is, if we can get the house on the cheap and finish the one bathroom we'll just kind of live with the sparse kitchen for a year and redo it next year. it's been on the market for over a year, probably cause it has ONE cabinet in the kitchen ;)

sounds awesome to me! And with that much space, you can build a nice wine&sake room in the basement.

bhodilee

North316 wrote:I'm pretty sure they travel more than Presidential canditates during the election race.

I feel the same way about Mother. He's NEVER home according to Facebook!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:sounds awesome to me! And with that much space, you can build a nice wine&sake room in the basement.

The fifth bedroom is 10.5x31. I envision that as the ultimate playroom, which gets all the CRAP out of my living room. My current house looks like ToysRUs exploded. I only make a half hearted effort to put things away anymore. There's no point. And yes, definite wine cellar in the basement. If it's like my basement it's already the right temp/humidity.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
cheron98 wrote:Didn't you know, they never sleep. Busiest wooters in the world!

I agreee!!!

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:So we're gonna look at this monster of a house on Sunday. It's a bank owned and it looks like maybe the previous owners were in the middle of redoing a bathroom and the kitchen, cause it has like almost no kitchen. It's huge though, 3k square finished feet, plus another 1500 in the basement. The thought is, if we can get the house on the cheap and finish the one bathroom we'll just kind of live with the sparse kitchen for a year and redo it next year. it's been on the market for over a year, probably cause it has ONE cabinet in the kitchen ;)

minor details.... if you like the house and area it is in...

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:minor details.... if you like the house and area it is in...

Not so fond of the school system, I could keep my kids where they are (and will with the high schooler), but the little one should probably be in a neighborhood school so she gets to meet neighborhood kids easier. There is a Catholic school a literal stones throw across the Creek, maybe I'll send her there. She's way too smart to be stuck in the crappy Omaha Public School system.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

That's a lotta house! Is it an older place, or relatively new?

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Ooh, sounds like fun!

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:That's a lotta house! Is it an older place, or relatively new?

looks like the foundation went in around october 07, so it's relatively new. The inlaws asked around the neighborhood (it's in their neighborhood) and the guy that owned it was a self employed handyman, so Lord only knows what the inside will be like. I guess I'll find out pretty quick if he was good at his job. Best guess, he got recessioned and lost his ass and his house. Sucks for him, but might work out for me.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
bhodilee wrote:looks like the foundation went in around october 07, so it's relatively new. The inlaws asked around the neighborhood (it's in their neighborhood) and the guy that owned it was a self employed handyman, so Lord only knows what the inside will be like. I guess I'll find out pretty quick if he was good at his job. Best guess, he got recessioned and lost his ass and his house. Sucks for him, but might work out for me.

If you're interested at all, get someone in the business who is NOT a home inspector to check it out. No written report, no certifications, no realtor recommendations, just someone who knows what he's doing. Home inspections are a useless racket, in my opinion. Experience has shown them so.

edit - And yes, that's a lot of house.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:If you're interested at all, get someone in the business who is NOT a home inspector to check it out. No written report, no certifications, no realtor recommendations, just someone who knows what he's doing. Home inspections are a useless racket, in my opinion. Experience has shown them so.

edit - And yes, that's a lot of house.

I know people in engineering, thought I'd ask one of them to send one of their structural folks out to look the place over if we decide to make an offer.

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Not so fond of the school system, I could keep my kids where they are (and will with the high schooler), but the little one should probably be in a neighborhood school so she gets to meet neighborhood kids easier. There is a Catholic school a literal stones throw across the Creek, maybe I'll send her there. She's way too smart to be stuck in the crappy Omaha Public School system.

school with neighborhood kids is important...I if Omaha schools are as crappy as Florida schools are?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

3000 ft^2 seems large until you live in it for a while, then it won't be big enough and you'll be dying to finish the basement!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:3000 ft^2 seems large until you live in it for a while, then it won't be big enough and you'll be dying to finish the basement!

You folks with actual basements are so lucky. All we have here is a slab on soil that moves around with massive numbers of ants below.

CT

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:The fifth bedroom is 10.5x31. I envision that as the ultimate playroom, which gets all the CRAP out of my living room. My current house looks like ToysRUs exploded. I only make a half hearted effort to put things away anymore. There's no point. And yes, definite wine cellar in the basement. If it's like my basement it's already the right temp/humidity.

Kids' playroom or Your playroom?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Night all!

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:school with neighborhood kids is important...I if Omaha schools are as crappy as Florida schools are?

Dunno, but I'm not find of that district. I'm a product of it though. I wonder if a large part of the overall problem is that it its the district that serves the overwhelming majority of the poor areas where kids are not likely to do as well. As advanced as my daughter is, I want her in a better system.

otolith

rjquillin wrote:You folks with actual basements are so lucky. All we have here is a slab on soil that moves around with massive numbers of ants below.

Basements can be a blessing and a curse, as moisture can become an issue. It is a great place, however, to build a wine cellar.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

otolith wrote:Basements can be a blessing and a curse, as moisture can become an issue. It is a great place, however, to build a wine cellar.

And growing up in Indiana sans AC it was a cooler reprieve from the late summer swelter. I'd spend hours down there tinkering with stuff.

CT

otolith

rjquillin wrote:And growing up in Indiana sans AC it was a cooler reprieve from the late summer swelter. I'd spend hours down there tinkering with stuff.

Ah yes, the basement, and shade trees, were great. Now, it's AC, which is probably the only thing I really like about our geothermal system.

--John Muir

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Dunno, but I'm not find of that district. I'm a product of it though. I wonder if a large part of the overall problem is that it its the district that serves the overwhelming majority of the poor areas where kids are not likely to do as well. As advanced as my daughter is, I want her in a better system.

Both of my kids are very advanced...but we never let that get in the way of having a good school experience ie..having friends that were not on the same "intellectual" level... which I think has helped them... We were lucky as our "gifted" program is a joke in elementary school. Their teachers always challenged them. Once they got to middle school they had the advanced and high school classes.. now with one in high school she is able to take AP and college classes....But it was important to them to be with their friends...... so just my thoughts for the day...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Do you guys know how much I hate VDDD?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Do you guys know how much I hate VDDD?

But but...it's been aged with a *rock*! From *SPACE*!!!

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:Do you guys know how much I hate VDDD?

Ahhhhh good old deer penis wine. What would the world do without that?

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Saturday all! Too bad we're back to a regular weekend.

ddeuddeg and I had a really nice few days up in Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake. We stopped at two wineries that are new to us, Cattail Creek Estate Winery and Riverview Cellars Winery. We preferred Riverview.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Happy Saturday all! Too bad we're back to a regular weekend.

ddeuddeg and I had a really nice few days up in Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake. We stopped at two wineries that are new to us, Cattail Creek Estate Winery and Riverview Cellars Winery. We preferred Riverview.

glad you had a good time... I still can't believe all you 2 do!!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

LOL you should post that to the wine cards thread

MarkDaSpark wrote:For Wine Wednesday ...

Just one glass a day!

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:LOL you should post that to the wine cards thread

There's a similar one already, IIRC.

Edit: BTW, is anyone else having problems going to the last post in that thread? It never takes me there.

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:There's a similar one already, IIRC.

True....

MarkDaSpark wrote:Edit: BTW, is anyone else having problems going to the last post in that thread? It never takes me there.

No, I'm not even sure what you mean exactly? Sounds like a possible cache issue.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:BTW, is anyone else having problems going to the last post in that thread? It never takes me there.

Not just that thread. I have that happen a lot, ever since the "Troubles."

EDIT: Actually, it just happened with this post. It got posted, but instead of showing it, I wound up looking at one 4 posts higher on the list.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Ok all of you travelers out there. Just booked some flights on Southwest for my trip to Vegas/New Mexico later in the month. Southwest has an option to pay $15 per seat, per flight for early bird check-in. Is this really necessary as long as I am willing to sign-in when the check-in window opens 24 hours before the flight time?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:Ok all of travelers out there. Just booked some flights on Southwest for my trip to Vegas/New Mexico later in the month. Southwest has an option to pay $15 per seat, per flight for early bird check-in. Is this really necessary as long as I am willing to sign-in when the check-in window opens 24 hours before the flight time?

we usually do the early bird check in... flights have been full and I don't want a crappy seat....

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:Not just that thread. I have that happen a lot, ever since the "Troubles."

EDIT: Actually, it just happened with this post. It got posted, but instead of showing it, I wound up looking at one 4 posts higher on the list.

Now that I have had happen a few times.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Ok all of you travelers out there. Just booked some flights on Southwest for my trip to Vegas/New Mexico later in the month. Southwest has an option to pay $15 per seat, per flight for early bird check-in. Is this really necessary as long as I am willing to sign-in when the check-in window opens 24 hours before the flight time?

I haven't flown SW since they started that but I guess it depends on how many other people pay for the earlybird check-in and of course there's no way of knowing upfront. You might want to pay for it for the return leg if nothing else since it's usually harder to be all over that 24 hr. sign-in when you're at your destination instead of home (at least for me).