Stillman Brown Petite Sirah 2-Pack
$54.99 $̶1̶1̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 50% off List Price
2012 Stillman Petite Sirah, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Didn't call it Deep Purple, eh? Well, I did.

stillmanbrown

Pseudo-numerological riff at http://www.stillmanbrown.blogspot.com/2013/03/deep-purple-stillman-petite-sirah.html

stillmanbrown

I'm talking to myself here? No questions? I'm sure YOU are tired, but I only had twenty people over for brunch today and I barely got a twenty minute nap in. Then again, it's only ten pm here. I'll wake the fup well before dawn and see if anyone's chimed in.

stillmanbrown

The usual questions? Yes, it's less expensive than the last one, but the grapes were slightly less so, and the barrels a lot. It's not inferior, though I'm loathe to join the legions of plonk flacks who insist against reason that the most recent vintage is the best ever, until the next one. It might be, though.
Drinking window: twenty minutes after opening until 2020 at minimum.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Did this wine see any oak? The 2011 probably would have but the 2012 wouldn't have spent much time in barrel.

The price point is a little high for me personally for a totally unknown 2012 red. Hopefully well get some reviews trickling in.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Some may be looking at the new site.

But you are welcome as always. Always enjoy it when you're here.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

Yippee!!

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Did this wine see any oak? The 2011 probably would have but the 2012 wouldn't have spent much time in barrel.

The price point is a little high for me personally for a totally unknown 2012 red. Hopefully well get some reviews trickling in.

Actually, four months in strong new oak can be too much time, though the majority is 2011 and sixteen months is a lot. I'd have to use a pseudo formula to tell you this averages over a year in new oak, because oak varies, but that's about right. I know at least one WW lord has had it already.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Visited Stillman last weekend and got to try (and buy) this. It was nice to get to try the white label and purple label petite sirahs side by side. I really liked both wines, but here is my short memory of notes of both.

White Label PS: smoooooth tannins, light fruit, great texture. Reminded me more of a cooler climate PS and less of something from Paso Robles.

Purple Label PS: More aggressive fruit and acid, less tannin, meatier texture. Talked to Stillman and he said he thought it would pair with food better.

I highly suggest this wine, especially at this price.

stillmanbrown

Either I'm thoroughly known to ww commenters, or everyone's has been mauled by killer rabbits.
This is beginning to resemble the Robert Parker Fan Club the day he sold out to the North Korean government.

stillmanbrown

loveladyelectric wrote:Visited Stillman last weekend and got to try (and buy) this. It was nice to get to try the white label and purple label petite sirahs side by side. I really liked both wines, but here is my short memory of notes of both.

White Label PS: smoooooth tannins, light fruit, great texture. Reminded me more of a cooler climate PS and less of something from Paso Robles.

Purple Label PS: More aggressive fruit and acid, less tannin, meatier texture. Talked to Stillman and he said he thought it would pair with food better.

I highly suggest this wine, especially at this price.

The first Petite with rabbit, the second with wolverine?
Thanks for commenting - the positive's a bonus.
By 3 AM I'll be happy to duel with a troll trying to get my website business . . .

cortot20

stillmanbrown wrote:Either I'm thoroughly known to ww commenters, or everyone's has been mauled by killer rabbits.
This is beginning to resemble the Robert Parker Fan Club the day he sold out to the North Korean government.

Bunnicula rose from the crypt and wiped out the west coast wooters over the weekend. So close on the killer rabbits guess.

CT

loveladyelectric

stillmanbrown wrote:The first Petite with rabbit, the second with wolverine?
Thanks for commenting - the positive's a bonus.
By 3 AM I'll be happy to duel with a troll trying to get my website business . . .

FWIW my friends that had visited a few days before me loved their visit. They also preferred this Purple Label PS over the White Label

stillmanbrown

I wonder if it's clear enough that THIS IS NOT THE SAME PETITE SIRAH AS THE LAST OFFERING. I mean, just because the label's a different color isn't really enough information, is it? The warehouse has already gotten confused in shipping once. I'm just referring to it as Deep Purple without putting it on the label.
The minimal factual label changes (elimination of vintage, change in alcohol percentage) also mean that I don't have to submit it to the Feds.

stillmanbrown

loveladyelectric wrote:FWIW my friends that had visited a few days before me loved their visit. They also preferred this Purple Label PS over the White Label

And yet I have almost none of the Beatles left, and to judge by the flow of questions, I'll have a Lake Geneva of Deep Purple left in 23.4 hours.

stillmanbrown

stillmanbrown wrote:And yet I have almost none of the Beatles left, and to judge by the flow of questions, I'll have a Lake Geneva of Deep Purple left in 23.4 hours.

What is it with people who only know 'Smoke On The Water' anyway?

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive

Im a. Little confused lady says its not as tannic as the white label but your notes say tannins and lotsof them. Also a 2 hr decant? Or would an aerator allow for the pnp?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
stillmanbrown wrote:Either I'm thoroughly known to ww commenters, or everyone's has been mauled by killer rabbits.

Monday after a holiday can be... quiet At least you have the wine and Elvis to keep you company.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

loveladyelectric

sdfreedive wrote:Im a. Little confused lady says its not as tannic as the white label but your notes say tannins and lotsof them. Also a 2 hr decant? Or would an aerator allow for the pnp?

It's still a petite sirah, and it's plenty tannic. The tannins are just not as dominant or smooth as the white label. I guess I should have made it more clear that it was only relative.

Also, I think there's more going on in this wine.

stillmanbrown

sdfreedive wrote:Im a. Little confused lady says its not as tannic as the white label but your notes say tannins and lotsof them. Also a 2 hr decant? Or would an aerator allow for the pnp?

They're fine tannins, not green or coarse. She got more aggressive fruit and acid; it's perception. I'd rather add oxygen slowly without blowing off volatiles, but some people like aerators. Anaerobically it will of course take exponentially more time, if you have the storage!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I don't think the Woot photographer did justice to your label. It is very hard to read in the photos.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

stillmanbrown

Great, so instead of arguing with myself I'm reinterpreting others' remarks.
Maybe I should get some sleep?

loveladyelectric

stillmanbrown wrote:Great, so instead of arguing with myself I'm reinterpreting others' remarks.
Maybe I should get some sleep?

Also, I'm a dude and my name is Kevin. :/

stillmanbrown

loveladyelectric wrote:Also, I'm a dude and my name is Kevin. :/

Best line of the comment thread so far, though given that most were mine you've got an advantage right there!

zora

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zora

Stillman,

Everyone has a belly full of easter dinner and went to bed early! Don't worry, people like your juice and it should sell just fine.

Jim

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

A little off topic, this is about the LAST offering of the Pink Zeppelin, NOT about this offering. Did anybody also have problems with the cork popping out by itself? Not sure if it was a bottling problem that it was not completely in the bottle or secondary fermentation forcing it out? (2 bottles affected)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 24th.

March Madness is in full swing! Why not mourn your busted brackets among your wine drinking brethren? Host a Get-Together in your area!

April
4/6: Colorado #?
4/6: Missouri: Jefferson City
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner
TBD: SoCal Special: Wine from Neil's Trunk Because you can always something special in the back of some dude's vehicle... (Postponed)

May
5/4: NorCal: Vincent Arroyo Open House
TBD: SoCal #25: Pasta Making at zTimBz's place (Lakewood), TBD (April/May) Could move to April

June
6/1: NorCal Bordeaux Tasting

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

stillmanbrown wrote:Actually, four months in strong new oak can be too much time, though the majority is 2011 and sixteen months is a lot. I'd have to use a pseudo formula to tell you this averages over a year in new oak, because oak varies, but that's about right. I know at least one WW lord has had it already.

You need to flog a minion. Someone else must have gotten my bottle!

I expect PetiteSirah will pop in on this in the morning and report his findings.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

loveladyelectric wrote:Also, I'm a dude and my name is Kevin. :/

Wait, you said you were a 13 year old girl called Lolita!!!

cheesed00dle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheesed00dle

In for 1, but what is this "tax" thing I was required to pay?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cheesed00dle wrote:In for 1, but what is this "tax" thing I was required to pay?

Check out the FAQ for the most up-to-date information. on the changes to Wine checkout that started Feb 22, 2012.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

stillmanbrown

andreaserben wrote:A little off topic, this is about the LAST offering of the Pink Zeppelin, NOT about this offering. Did anybody also have problems with the cork popping out by itself? Not sure if it was a bottling problem that it was not completely in the bottle or secondary fermentation forcing it out? (2 bottles affected)

stillmanbrown

stillmanbrown wrote:

Wow, what? I have difficulty re-corking those Amorims when they're relatively new, so they won't seat and go in a third or halfway. They'll come out with a little bit of warming because there's dissolved CO2 that increases pressure very slightly. But corks coming out of a new bottle, foiled or unfoiled, never.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

For us it was squirrels. The rat bastards ate through the plastic eggs and stole all the candy. Next year for Easter they're getting pellets. Also, if Parker sold out to North Korea, I now totally understand their animosity towards us.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
stillmanbrown wrote:What is it with people who only know 'Smoke On The Water' anyway?

I can answer this, Blame Guitar Hero. First song you play, cause you know, it's fairly straightforward. Decent little ditty, but they don't want to throw Over the Hills and Far Away or Achilles Last Stand at you right away.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cortot20

andreaserben wrote:A little off topic, this is about the LAST offering of the Pink Zeppelin, NOT about this offering. Did anybody also have problems with the cork popping out by itself? Not sure if it was a bottling problem that it was not completely in the bottle or secondary fermentation forcing it out? (2 bottles affected)

None of mine had that problem. I stored them in my wine fridge though.

CT

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:Wait, you said you were a 13 year old girl called Lolita!!!

That's his non woot screen name. Lolita13

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:I can answer this, Blame Guitar Hero. First song you play, cause you know, it's fairly straightforward. Decent little ditty, but they don't want to throw Over the Hills and Far Away or Achilles Last Stand at you right away.

That would be Purple Zeppelin. My favorite songs are "Hushed and Confused", "Highway Star to Heaven" and "Space Truckin' to California".