cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I'm schlepping a bottle of 09' schug carneros PN and a 10' Scott Harvey reserve old vine zin over to my grandparents for dinner tonight and maybe a 1/2 bottle of 11' counoise from municipal winemakers. How bout the rest of you?

CT

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

Taking a bottle of Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling and a bottle of the Plush Pinot Noir I picked up here on Woot to the family Easter dinner.

Seems like most of the Wooters that participate on the forum here are west coast, so I don't know how familiar they are with Hermann J. Wiemer. But his Dry Riesling is the best I've had. Friends and family tell me they love his semi-dry as well. (I personally don't like sweetish wines.)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
moondigger wrote:Taking a bottle of Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling and a bottle of the Plush Pinot Noir I picked up here on Woot to the family Easter dinner.

Seems like most of the Wooters that participate on the forum here are west coast, so I don't know how familiar they are with Hermann J. Wiemer. But his Dry Riesling is the best I've had. Friends and family tell me they love his semi-dry as well. (I personally don't like sweetish wines.)

A Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling is a superb choice - I just wish I could find some here in the fly-over states. Having spent half my life in western New York, I am content to let the west coasters be unfamiliar with these wines. That leaves more for the rest of us! When I get back to Rochester this summer, I will be stocking up with Finger Lake wines.

As for today's wine, I'll be opening a 2005 Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Being able to visit the Finger Lakes, I also enjoy Weimer Reisling.

We have two bottles of an Austalian sparkler (Yarrabank) to start with apps, and then some French rose for with the ham. One is a Sancerre rose that I am excited to try.

What other wines do folks enjoy with ham?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:What other wines do folks enjoy with ham?

The Sancerre rosé sounds good, but an Iron Horse bubbly would be another good choice.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
coynedj wrote:When I get back to Rochester this summer, I will be stocking up with Finger Lake wines.

If you're driving, don't forget you have to go through Buffalo, and you have friends there.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

2005 Patrick Lesec Rubis CdP

2007 Wellington Merlot if we go through the CdP

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

The remains of the 04 Turley Haynes vineyard zin that Sparky so generously left for me

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

2008 Kent Rasmussen Pettite Sirah with herb roasted leg of lamb.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
ddeuddeg wrote:If you're driving, don't forget you have to go through Buffalo, and you have friends there.

A most excellent thought. It is a long drive from South Dakota - I'm likely to fly. But, I might manage to find myself in that general part of the state....

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Lamb demands Cabernet or Bordeaux, 10 years old minimum.

We're cheating slightly with a 2003 Dry Creek Cab.

We started with a Hall 2011 T-bar-T Sauvignon Blanc. Which was lovely.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
rpm wrote:Lamb demands Cabernet or Bordeaux, 10 years old minimum.

Around here, a lot of folks (including my family) have lamb on Palm Sunday. Most years we have Cabernet with it, but this year we tried a Petite Sirah and it paired beautifully.

Easter dinner was glazed/baked ham, broiled potatoes with olive oil and rosemary, and lasagna. (Yes, really. It's a family thing.) The Plush Pinot wasn't really up to the challenge of the lasagna. (This is the first bottle of the Plush Pinot I've tried -- I'm thinking maybe it would have worked better just as a sipping wine, not to accompany food.) However the Wiemer Riesling paired pretty well to the glazed ham and was fantastic with the dessert -- an orange peel cake.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2007 Roessler Bluejay Pinot Noir which was quite excellent on the PnP (had to try it before letting it open up for 4 hours or so before dinner).

Also on the docket is 2010 Olivier Leflaive Bourgogne Blanc Les Sétilles.

Dinner is roast turkey breast, smashed yams, and brussel sprouts. Should be tasty.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
moondigger wrote:Around here, a lot of folks (including my family) have lamb on Palm Sunday. Most years we have Cabernet with it, but this year we tried a Petite Sirah and it paired beautifully.

Lamb and Petite Sirah is a match made in heaven.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir