WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Creminelli Fine Meat

Every month, we have a "meat and greet" at our house. You don't do the same? Well, get on it! It's simple: Invite a bunch of people over, then eat a bunch of meat, then when your guests arrive, greet them and tell them stories about the delicious meat you just ate.

Quality Posts

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm almost definitely in on this, but not sure which one. If I recalled correctly, the Tartufo is a favorite among wooters, yet the wild boar sounds very intriguing. I'm a little put-off by the juniper berries and cloves in the boar, as I have had juniper berries in cured meat before and found it to be a little overbearing at times. Are the juniper berries whole, or in chunks, or more well-integrated into the meat?

Also, I know this has been discussed before, but I don't feel like digging through past threads; is the white stuff safe to eat (or pleasant) or should that and the casing be removed before consumption? I recall that being some sort of bacteria used or created during the curing process.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chinchy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinchy

From Creminelli's FAQ:
https://www.creminelli.com/index.php/faq/

Q: What is the white covering on the outside of the salami?
A: The white stuff is a mixture of the natural mold bloom that grows during the curing process, not unlike what happens with aged cheese, and the white rice flour we use to dust the salami before packaging.

Q: Is the casing edible to eat?
A: The casing is organic material and edible, but we recommend peeling it because in some cases it can be tough to chew and it also makes sense to peel salami the same way peeling your fruit does.

Q: What is the best way to remove the mold and rice flour and peel it?
A: It is not necessary to remove the rice flour and mold before peeling the salami. Simply cut the tip off of the salami, then score the salami lengthwise for as much of the salami you plan to consume immediately. Get your fingernails or a knife under the scored portion of the peel and loosen the peel from salami along the full length of the score. Pull that loosed peel slowly trying to keep it intact and it should pull off in a sheet. If it breaks, try the same thing starting with the other side of the score. Depending on the salami, it may come right off without problems or it may take several tries to get the peel off. You only need to remove the top layer of the peel.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Cesare's MIA so I'll step in.

Creminelli Fine Meat

Creminelli Tartufo Handcrafted Uncured Italian Salami and Wild Boar Handcrafted Italian Salami 4-Pack
$36.99 ($60.00) 38% off List Price

Creminelli Tartufo Handcrafted Uncured Italian Salami 4-Pack
$36.99 ($56.00) 34% off List Price

Creminelli Wild Boar Handcrafted Italian Salami 4-Pack
$36.99 ($64.00) 42% off List Price

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

is this what we had during D&D?

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

I love the Creminelli salamis. A couple of the supermarkets in my area usually carries the regular (more popular?) varieties. I have never seen them with these two however.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

creminelli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages creminelli
North316 wrote:I'm almost definitely in on this, but not sure which one. If I recalled correctly, the Tartufo is a favorite among wooters, yet the wild boar sounds very intriguing. I'm a little put-off by the juniper berries and cloves in the boar, as I have had juniper berries in cured meat before and found it to be a little overbearing at times. Are the juniper berries whole, or in chunks, or more well-integrated into the meat?

Also, I know this has been discussed before, but I don't feel like digging through past threads; is the white stuff safe to eat (or pleasant) or should that and the casing be removed before consumption? I recall that being some sort of bacteria used or created during the curing process.

Thanks to chinchy who hit the highlights on the mold. Basically, safe to eat? Yes. Desirable? Not really. Solution? Remove the casing as seen in this video: http://youtu.be/dwIICHSkmUI.

As for clove and juniper berry they are very delicate. Cristiano Creminelli is a meat-centric artisan who focuses on the quality of the meat and curing and only uses spices to accent the natural flavors. The Tartufo has won two national food awards and the WIld Boar one. Despite being our most expensive salamis (for those who aren't lucky enough to find them on Woot) they are still our best sellers!

Enjoy!

-Your friends at Creminelli

creminelli

mommadeb1 wrote:is this what we had during D&D?

D&D? Dungeons and Dragons? Drunk and Disorderly? Done and Dusted? Denial and Deception? Or my personal favorite, Divorced & Desperate?

Help me out here.

cmb825

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmb825

It's shorthand for Dark & Delicious; a Petite Sirah tasting event

creminelli wrote:D&D? Dungeons and Dragons? Drunk and Disorderly? Done and Dusted? Denial and Deception? Or my personal favorite, Divorced & Desperate?

Help me out here.

creminelli

cmb825 wrote:It's shorthand for Dark & Delicious; a Petite Sirah tasting event

Oh!!! ...no clue. Sorry I'm not of help.

North316

creminelli wrote:Thanks to chinchy who hit the highlights on the mold. Basically, safe to eat? Yes. Desirable? Not really. Solution? Remove the casing as seen in this video: http://youtu.be/dwIICHSkmUI.

As for clove and juniper berry they are very delicate. Cristiano Creminelli is a meat-centric artisan who focuses on the quality of the meat and curing and only uses spices to accent the natural flavors. The Tartufo has won two national food awards and the WIld Boar one. Despite being our most expensive salamis (for those who aren't lucky enough to find them on Woot) they are still our best sellers!

Enjoy!

-Your friends at Creminelli

Cristiano seems like a fun guy. One thing I wanted to clarify from the video. It says it can be stored in the fridge for up to a couple of months, but slice salami should be be good for 5-7 days. Does this mean that once I slice into the stick, I have 5-7 days to finish the rest of it, or just 5-7 days to finish the slices I cut off, and the rest of the stick should keep for awhile? I'm guessing the latter, just wanted to clarify.

Thanks.

My CT

spacefox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacefox
North316 wrote:Cristiano seems like a fun guy. One thing I wanted to clarify from the video. It says it can be stored in the fridge for up to a couple of months, but slice salami should be be good for 5-7 days. Does this mean that once I slice into the stick, I have 5-7 days to finish the rest of it, or just 5-7 days to finish the slices I cut off, and the rest of the stick should keep for awhile? I'm guessing the latter, just wanted to clarify.

Thanks.

You are correct to guess the latter as far as I know, and I worked food safety at the county health department for years. Been retired for 2 yrs, maybe something's changed since then, but I doubt it. If you hang on to the non-sliced portion for a while, the cut edge may look a bit dried out over time, just cut off a thin piece and the rest is still great.

creminelli

North316 wrote:Cristiano seems like a fun guy. One thing I wanted to clarify from the video. It says it can be stored in the fridge for up to a couple of months, but slice salami should be be good for 5-7 days. Does this mean that once I slice into the stick, I have 5-7 days to finish the rest of it, or just 5-7 days to finish the slices I cut off, and the rest of the stick should keep for awhile? I'm guessing the latter, just wanted to clarify.

Thanks.

That's right. Salami still in the casing is good for weeks or even months is kept in a plastic baggy or plastic wrap. Exposed salami meat including sliced pieces is the 5-7 day rule, but again, you need to have it air tight sealed to get that time.

- Your friends at Creminelli

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm in for the 2x2 and splitting with my dad-in-law.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

So the Tartufo, no artificial truffle flavor truffle oil truffle crap added? The "natural flavors" are not added truffle flavors? I guess I'm asking is the only truffle flavor from the summer truffle itself? Which should be mild since it is a summer truffle??

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

6 oz each sounds small, physically what to expect in size?
Like a bloated slim-jim, but I know better.
Diameter x length, about?

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:6 oz each sounds small, physically what to expect in size?

Watch the video.

My CT

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Watch the video.

Not on an iPad I can't.

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:Not on an iPad I can't.

That's what you get for being fancy! Since I am at my desk, based on the video, the best comparison I can make is that it is about the size of a stapler.

Expensive? Probably. That's what I said until I tried some nice salami's at a local store. Those ran $6-7 for a similar size stick, and I can tell by looking at these that they will definitely be better. My wife wasn't too keen on this offer simply because of the price, but I may over-rule her anyway.

My CT

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron
North316 wrote:My wife wasn't too keen on this offer simply because of the price, but I may over-rule her anyway.

I love these salamis and they are totally worth the price... but there is truth in the saying "Happy wife, happy life" ;)

creminellivanessa

quality posts: 9 Private Messages creminellivanessa
kaolis wrote:So the Tartufo, no artificial truffle flavor truffle oil truffle crap added? The "natural flavors" are not added truffle flavors? I guess I'm asking is the only truffle flavor from the summer truffle itself? Which should be mild since it is a summer truffle??

hey kaolis,
Yup, the only flavor is the from the black summer truffles - we grind them with the pork to make sure the flavor gets evenly incorporated throughout the meat. If you taste the salami, it's actually quite subtle compared to say a restaurant pasta dish that's been doused with sad sad truffle oil. No truffle oil since the only fat in the salami comes from the all-natural heritage meat pork belly. Pork fat. Pork. Truffles ground with the pork. Delicious.

Hope this helps!

creminellivanessa

rjquillin wrote:6 oz each sounds small, physically what to expect in size?

A stapler is about the correct length. In terms of diameter, it's on average about 1 1/2 inches.

Keep in mind our salami are hand-filled and tied, so it's not a cookie cutter product. There will be some variation, some might be skinnier and longer, some might be more plump and stout. But the taste is the same!

rjquillin

creminellivanessa wrote:A stapler is about the correct length. In terms of diameter, it's on average about 1 1/2 inches.

Keep in mind our salami are hand-filled and tied, so it's not a cookie cutter product. There will be some variation, some might be skinnier and longer, some might be more plump and stout. But the taste is the same!

OK, I'm convinced. Now I need to know by what carrier this will ship so I can select the correct delivery address.

FedEx?

CT

creminellivanessa

rjquillin wrote:OK, I'm convinced. Now I need to know by what carrier this will ship so I can select the correct delivery address.

FedEx?

Yes, FedEx

rjquillin

creminellivanessa wrote:Yes, FedEx

tnx, done.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

This is really good stuff, a little hard to peal sometimes but well worth it

Made some killer pizza's with it.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

alaskan84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaskan84

and once again, a great woot I would love to participate in....but alas, no shipping to Alaska. I receive fedex packages almost every week....1 to 2 day shipping no issues.

Whats the deal Creminelli?

creminellivanessa

alaskan84 wrote:and once again, a great woot I would love to participate in....but alas, no shipping to Alaska. I receive fedex packages almost every week....1 to 2 day shipping no issues.

Whats the deal Creminelli?

We actually do ship to Alaska via FedEx through our own. Not sure if the Alaska shipping issue is through Woot?

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Sounds delicious. Hard to turn down truffled anything, so I'm in for one. Thanks!

alaskan84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaskan84
creminellivanessa wrote:We actually do ship to Alaska via FedEx through our own. Not sure if the Alaska shipping issue is through Woot?

could be...the last couple items I posted about, a woot representative chimed in and blamed the shipping restrictions on the vendor. I'll have to check out your website

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

In for a 2+2. It has been too long since I've enjoyed me some Creminelli!

that was fun while it lasted!

bpr2

rjquillin wrote:Not on an iPad I can't.

.....youtube app......

bpr2

3 words.... oh my goodness!

I've forgotten how extremely excellent these meats are!