WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Martians & Wolves

It's the age-old question, "Who would win in a fight, Martians or Wolves?" My answer, the wolves. Why? Two reasons. One, wolves will eat your face off. Two, martians don't exist. So if I had to pick between REAL sharp and pointy teeth and imaginary ray guns, I'll pick sharp pointy teeth for the win every time.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Martians vs Wolves... sounds like a good idea for a video game.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bsevern


quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I'm confused, the Specs tab for the 2009 Martian Ranch Syrah write-up talks about Grenache....but I'm pretty sure it's Syrah

This is single vineyard Syrah? Looks like a nice deal, I would give the edge to the Martian's based on potential QPR, but would need to taste both to be positive

benyust2


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benyust2
bsevern wrote:I'm confused, the Specs tab for the 2009 Martian Ranch Syrah write-up talks about Grenache....but I'm pretty sure it's Syrah

This is single vineyard Syrah? Looks like a nice deal, I would give the edge to the Martian's based on potential QPR, but would need to taste both to be positive



I know a previous deal was 3 grenache and 3 syrahs so it is probably just the same text. I tried both and would not recommend either. I believe this is the same winery as that conservative red wine ("Let the People Decide") and both that and the Martian were just not very good - not really any flavors - just heat. Definitely wouldn't buy again but not undrinkable. IMO, definitely worse than the Copa Del Rey (or is it "Ray?") and even more expensive. The Martian label was somewhat interesting though.

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Single vineyard Viognier from Wahluke Slope for under $20?? Stats look good, review from Chip sounds good, and my SIWBM is about to fall....

Would love to hear some info about cooperage. Did this see oak? All neutral? Secondary ferm in barrels or steel?

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
benyust2 wrote:I know a previous deal was 3 grenache and 3 syrahs so it is probably just the same text. I tried both and would not recommend either. I believe this is the same winery as that conservative red wine ("Let the People Decide") and both that and the Martian were just not very good - not really any flavors - just heat. Definitely wouldn't buy again but not undrinkable. IMO, definitely worse than the Copa Del Rey (or is it "Ray?") and even more expensive. The Martian label was somewhat interesting though.



AFAIK Martian Ranch&Vineyard has nothing to do with the "Let the people decide" (Martellotto).

I only had the Grenache of the Martians yet, strongest characteristic was smoky - and I read that the Syrah also was perceived smoky.
Not sure I want to call the Grenache bad - it is definitely 'different'.

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I've had the Martian Grenache Blanc, and I remember enjoying it, but I don't have any notes unfortunately.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Syrah specs are fixed... well the text is gone, anyway.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

benyust2


quality posts: 5 Private Messages benyust2
andreaserben wrote:AFAIK Martian Ranch&Vineyard has nothing to do with the "Let the people decide" (Martellotto).

I only had the Grenache of the Martians yet, strongest characteristic was smoky - and I read that the Syrah also was perceived smoky.
Not sure I want to call the Grenache bad - it is definitely 'different'.



According to the winery tab on both of these:
Martian:
One Vine Wines

Founded: 2003 Owner: Greg Martellotto Location: Poway, CA

Let the People Decide:
One Vine Wines

Founded: 2003 Owner: Greg Martellotto Location: Poway, CA

There is other text too below this that I haven't compared word for word but it appears the same. Although, since Woot messed up the Syrah/Grenache, this could be an error too.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Must be a typo. From the Martian Ranch website; "Martian Ranch & Vineyard is the creation of its proprietor Nan Helgeland. Despite rumors to the contrary, Martian is the blending of the names of her sons Martin and Ian. The Martian seen occasionally on the premises is as much a mystery to her as it is to anyone else."
EDIT: It also says that under the Winery tab for the Grenache Blanc offer.

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
benyust2 wrote:According to the winery tab on both of these:
Martian:
One Vine Wines

Founded: 2003 Owner: Greg Martellotto Location: Poway, CA

Let the People Decide:
One Vine Wines

Founded: 2003 Owner: Greg Martellotto Location: Poway, CA

Poway!
That's only about half an hour from me in San Diego, and a far cry from SYV.
What comes from where?

CT

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
andreaserben wrote:AFAIK Martian Ranch&Vineyard has nothing to do with the "Let the people decide" (Martellotto).

I only had the Grenache of the Martians yet, strongest characteristic was smoky - and I read that the Syrah also was perceived smoky.
Not sure I want to call the Grenache bad - it is definitely 'different'.



I liked the grenache blanc quite a bit, actually, it was maybe not as strong and fruit forward as I'd like, but it was definitely better than I expected it to be. I'm not, generally speaking, huge on whites, but this one appealed to me. I remember green apple and pear, don't remember any smoke (but I am a smoker, so maybe I just didn't notice?). I wouldn't call it dry or sweet, somewhere comfortably in between.

If this is a bad Grenache blanc, then I think GB is my new favorite white...

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

2010 Raised by Wolves Malbec
I've had the this wine before and really enjoyed it. It was dark purple with a ruby meniscus; nose of plum, blackberry, pepper with hits of tobacco, leather and a very subtle sweet spice (nutmeg?); a big mid-palate of plum and blackberry with a finish that keeps going and going! There is a lot of tannin in this wine but it maintains a velvety mouth-feel. Excellent acidity.

I found that this wine is best served slightly chilled (~60-62 degrees.) Once it comes to room temperature, it looses some of it's subtle complexities. FWIW, I drank this bottle over a three day period and it didn't change greatly from day 1 to day 3; it was slightly better each day.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Poway!
That's only about half an hour from me in San Diego, and a far cry from SYV.
What comes from where?


The plus deals are starting to become littered with errors. Ignore the Martelloto info. See the Grenache Blanc offer for the correct Martian Ranch info.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
greyday wrote:I liked the grenache blanc quite a bit, actually, it was maybe not as strong and fruit forward as I'd like, but it was definitely better than I expected it to be. I'm not, generally speaking, huge on whites, but this one appealed to me. I remember green apple and pear, don't remember any smoke (but I am a smoker, so maybe I just didn't notice?). I wouldn't call it dry or sweet, somewhere comfortably in between.

If this is a bad Grenache blanc, then I think GB is my new favorite white...


andreaserben was referring to the red Martian Ranch Grenache that was previously offered in combination with the Syrah.

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
chipgreen wrote:andreaserben was referring to the red Martian Ranch Grenache that was previously offered in combination with the Syrah.


thanks for clarifying that did not occur to me that it might confuse people

lamcjunk


quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk
trifecta wrote:Single vineyard Viognier from Wahluke Slope for under $20?? Stats look good, review from Chip sounds good, and my SIWBM is about to fall....

Would love to hear some info about cooperage. Did this see oak? All neutral? Secondary ferm in barrels or steel?



Good review from Chip? Can u point me to it please?

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
lamcjunk wrote:Good review from Chip? Can u point me to it please?


It's under the Cellar Tracker listing for the wine as well as in the discussion thread on wine.woot from the first time the Viognier was offered a couple weeks ago, but I'll paste it here;

Pale gold in the glass with just the slightest initial hint of effervescence. Nose of melons, stone fruits, apple, pear and honeysuckle. Full bodied with viscuous mouthfeel. Peach, apricot, apple and pear on the palate with a nice acidic bite on the longish finish. Very enjoyable and even better as it warmed to near room temperature.

raisedbywolves


quality posts: 34 Private Messages raisedbywolves
trifecta wrote:Single vineyard Viognier from Wahluke Slope for under $20?? Stats look good, review from Chip sounds good, and my SIWBM is about to fall....

Would love to hear some info about cooperage. Did this see oak? All neutral? Secondary ferm in barrels or steel?



Primarily stainless steel fermented with a small of amount of neutral french oak used for a short time (90 days).

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Was thinking about the martian but will save my mula for this Thursday's wine club pick ups at Curtis, Lincourt, and Buttonwood in Santa Ynez. Plus hoping to meet up with Larry at Tercero's tasting room.

"The older I get the better I was"

afurball


quality posts: 16 Private Messages afurball
chipgreen wrote:...as well as in the discussion thread on wine.woot from the first time the Viognier was offered a couple weeks ago...



That review by chipgreen (much appreciated!) is what pushed me over the 'buy' edge previously. Prior sale hasn't shipped yet, right?

cortot20


quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

Went in on the Grenache blanc seemed right my wife's alley.

CT

garrowood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages garrowood
afurball wrote:That review by chipgreen (much appreciated!) is what pushed me over the 'buy' edge previously. Prior sale hasn't shipped yet, right?



I got the RBW Viognier last time it was offered, and I have gotten an 'it shipped' email but it hasn't actually been sent to Fedex yet.

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
garrowood wrote:I got the RBW Viognier last time it was offered, and I have gotten an 'it shipped' email but it hasn't actually been sent to Fedex yet.

Mine appears to now be moving, but it's really frustrating when an offer reappears when the original one hasn't been received to sample 'first' (effing woot filters) no magoo here...
How are we to know if we want more or not..?

CT

lionel47


quality posts: 3 Private Messages lionel47
benyust2 wrote:I know a previous deal was 3 grenache and 3 syrahs so it is probably just the same text. I tried both and would not recommend either. I believe this is the same winery as that conservative red wine ("Let the People Decide") and both that and the Martian were just not very good - not really any flavors - just heat. Definitely wouldn't buy again but not undrinkable. IMO, definitely worse than the Copa Del Rey (or is it "Ray?") and even more expensive. The Martian label was somewhat interesting though.



I have to disagree here. I bought the Syrah and Grenache combo six pack last time it was up. Definitely smoky...would go well with bbq ribs or roasted chicken. But, while not overly fruity, it does have some dark concentrated cherry and maybe a bite of wet leather in there. Now that I think about it, you could say the same for both varieties though the Grenache was not so smoky.

Just my opinion but, if it's still around in a couple of days, I'm in for one.

raisedbywolves


quality posts: 34 Private Messages raisedbywolves
rjquillin wrote:Mine appears to now be moving, but it's really frustrating when an offer reappears when the original one hasn't been received to sample 'first' (effing woot filters) no magoo here...
How are we to know if we want more or not..?



Sorry for the delay on getting Viognier out. My wife and I had our 3rd child a couple of weeks early and been spending quite a bit of time away from the winery. The last was shipped out yesterday.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
raisedbywolves wrote:Sorry for the delay on getting Viognier out. My wife and I had our 3rd child a couple of weeks early and been spending quite a bit of time away from the winery. The last was shipped out yesterday.


Congrats!

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
raisedbywolves wrote:Sorry for the delay on getting Viognier out. My wife and I had our 3rd child a couple of weeks early and been spending quite a bit of time away from the winery. The last was shipped out yesterday.

Congrats, and not to worry regarding the delay.

Overall this is a slightly more global concern; an offer will come up and close, and before the community has a chance to taste the wares, it's up again in a woot-off. Doesn't happen all that frequently, but can be pretty frustrating when it does.

Enjoyed your Vio.

CT