Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Reserve Meritage 2-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶2̶.̶0̶0̶ 46% off List Price
2006 Reserve Alexandre Meritage, Alexander Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

Damn, WD, stop it! You're on a roll with the enticing deals lately. Geyser Peak is generally good stuff, and I'd expect this one to be among their best obviously. The house style runs toward the middle of the road iirc - not a low acid fruit bomb, but not an austere cab either. And kudos for getting all five Bdx grapes in this one.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

What a quiet night?

knotheadusc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages knotheadusc

In for two. Never had this but the description makes it sounds very appealing. Besides, we had quite the wino night at my house last night.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

How large of a production is this wine?
Never mind, found it. 2500 cases.

CT

longstreet9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longstreet9
klezman wrote:Damn, WD, stop it! You're on a roll with the enticing deals lately. Geyser Peak is generally good stuff, and I'd expect this one to be among their best obviously. The house style runs toward the middle of the road iirc - not a low acid fruit bomb, but not an austere cab either. And kudos for getting all five Bdx grapes in this one.

No Carménère?

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

Another tempting wine at a price that isn't bad, but not exactly an autobuy.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
longstreet9 wrote:No Carménère?

True...the current five are represented. Does anybody still grow Carmenere in Bdx?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:True...the current five are represented. Does anybody still grow Carmenere in Bdx?

Not since the phylloxera days.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank

I'll keep an eye out for drinking window on these.
I have really enjoyed the Geyser Peaks I've opened so far. So I think I have to grab 2 offers, try some now maybe save some for later. Will give me a good comparison to the double mag bought in Dec that is resting nicely in my cellar - when I open it in a few years.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Hmmm.... I love a good Bordeaux style Meritage, and I love Alexander Valley juice.

longstreet9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longstreet9
klezman wrote:True...the current five are represented. Does anybody still grow Carmenere in Bdx?

I believe Château Clerc Milon has just a splash.

I do agree that it is very impressive that they have the 5 that they do. I'd love to hear how the wine maker gets the different characteristics to blend together. I'm on the fence with this one today.

bob92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bob92

Anybody know why Woot wants to charge tax to ship this wine to Washington DC? Killed the deal for me.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bob92 wrote:Anybody know why Woot wants to charge tax to ship this wine to Washington DC? Killed the deal for me.

Tax is charged on all orders now. Has been for a while. Would you not buy groceries because tax kills the deal?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

geyserpeakwinery

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geyserpeakwinery
cortot20 wrote:How large of a production is this wine?
Never mind, found it. 2500 cases.

Yes, small production wine. This is the last of the 2006 vintage. It's drinking great right now. Plus gotta make room for the 2007 vintage (which btw, just took 94 Pts AND Editor's Choice with WE-- toot toot!). Our Reserve Alex (as we lovingly refer to it), is one of our best wines, no matter what the vintage. Always top fruit from our vineyards in AV.

geyserpeakwinery

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geyserpeakwinery
longstreet9 wrote:I believe Château Clerc Milon has just a splash.

I do agree that it is very impressive that they have the 5 that they do. I'd love to hear how the wine maker gets the different characteristics to blend together. I'm on the fence with this one today.

Winemaker (Ondine Chattan) notes: In crafting Reserve Alexandre we look to our vineyard sources that consistently produce grapes with abundant fruit and rich structure. Low-yielding vines from high-elevations, hillsides, and bench land sites produce grape berries with excellent concentration, unparalleled finesse and subtlety. Each of the five varietals brings a unique character to the blend. Cabernet Sauvignon is the backbone and framework of the wine, Merlot fleshes out the body and adds to the juicy palate, Malbec brings the floral component and sumptuous spice, Petit Verdot adds a measure of tannin and lovely color, and an aliquot of Cabernet Franc adds brown spice and a sophisticated dried herb note to the final blend. Each component is vinted individually and the varied lots are blended in stages and then matured as a single wine for fourteen months.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

geyserpeakwinery wrote:Yes, small production wine. This is the last of the 2006 vintage. It's drinking great right now. Plus gotta make room for the 2007 vintage (which btw, just took 94 Pts AND Editor's Choice with WE-- toot toot!). Our Reserve Alex (as we lovingly refer to it), is one of our best wines, no matter what the vintage. Always top fruit from our vineyards in AV.

yep, this is a good good price on a great wine. thanks for stopping by.