WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever refilled an expensive bottle with an inexpensive wine to impress your guests?
  • 3.6% - Yes 43
  • 83.2% - No 989
  • 13.1% - I'm pleading the fifth 156
1188 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Elleay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Elleay

I've done it just to impress myself!

kyle2ooo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyle2ooo

I heard that they did a study on this and it even fooled top wine experts.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

No! Always refill with Coor's

mk

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

They're the guests, they bring the expensive bottles as a gift if that's what we're drinking.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

But only because we ran out of the special crap and the managers at the reception hall told us to do it to keep the illusion alive. Have also done it with vodka, gin, whiskey, bourbon, and rum. No one has ever noticed any difference... though by that point in the night they would need to have drank a bit to dry out the stock.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

rdermyer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdermyer
kyle2ooo wrote:I heard that they did a study on this and it even fooled top wine experts.

There's a Freakonomics podcast about this subject: http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/12/16/freakonomics-radio-do-more-expensive-wines-taste-better/

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Most of my friends aren't impressed by price. Our wine tasting parties always center on good tasting bargains we have found.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages deckerbrian

I've heard stories about white wine at room temperature colored red and "Experts" not being able to tell. Then you read about "Master Sommeliers" having to ID 7 wines varietal, region, and year.

Luckily my friends only know which end of the bottle to pour from. I would never do that anyway. I do have a Grange, Insignia, and a few other empties laying around.....

moose123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moose123

Strange, I was under the impression you didn't worry about impressing friends. That's why they are friends.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
moose123 wrote:Strange, I was under the impression you didn't worry about impressing friends. That's why they are friends.

Classic. And some of our best friends are wine.woot friends.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

goldiemcg

quality posts: 13 Private Messages goldiemcg
SumDuud wrote:But only because we ran out of the special crap and the managers at the reception hall told us to do it to keep the illusion alive. Have also done it with vodka, gin, whiskey, bourbon, and rum. No one has ever noticed any difference... though by that point in the night they would need to have drank a bit to dry out the stock.

So, this is fraud right? Charge for one thing and switch it with something cheap? I have called out a bar doing this before, they blamed it on their closing bartender marrying the wrong bourbon into the wrong bottle. Called them out on it and I was right. People will notice, and they'll be pissed too, just a heads up. That's just flat out wrong.

powerelite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powerelite
rdermyer wrote:There's a Freakonomics podcast about this subject: http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/12/16/freakonomics-radio-do-more-expensive-wines-taste-better/

I love freakonomics! One of their funnier podcasts.

MJR

ddeuddeg

goldiemcg wrote:So, this is fraud right? Charge for one thing and switch it with something cheap? I have called out a bar doing this before, they blamed it on their closing bartender marrying the wrong bourbon into the wrong bottle. Called them out on it and I was right. People will notice, and they'll be pissed too, just a heads up. That's just flat out wrong.

If that happened in New York State, and the State Liquor Authority found out, it would cost the bar their license.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

noslensj wrote:A very long (136 pages) thread about this at wineberskers.com.

Sheesh! Each page is very long. I only got through one.

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609

If you really want to be mean, get a cheap (but not common) bottle and refill it with good stuff. Brag to all your friends about how you know how to find spectacular wines without paying an arm and a leg. If they happen to find a bottle and say it didn't taste like what you served, shake your head sadly and say, "Must not have been stored properly".