MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Cross Post from Original Thread (by CJ)

cjsiege wrote:Want to get to know the people behind the screen names? Share some wine? Learn the difference between Left Bank and Right Bank while having a great time?

Bring a glass - bring a wine - share with friends! Come to a Wine.Woot Community Get Together in your area!

Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar!

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Good info from Kyle ...

kylemittskus wrote:We get together, eat food, drink lots of wine (normally following a theme), and play guitar hero, rock band, etc.

If you want to get one started, just start a thread in the World of Wine Woot tab.

Here's the template we've been using for a while:

DETAILS
DATE:
TIME:
THEME:
HOST:

Information

ATTENDEES:

MAYBES:

REGRETS:
- anyone else who misses this one!!

And if you want to learn about wine tasting, ThunderThighs created a thread about it ... Wine Tasting for Newbies @ Wine.Woot.

There is a link in a post there to RPM's Cat Died thread. As well as other links helpful for learning about wine tasting.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tate491 wrote:Not necessarily a call for a get together,but I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any New Orleans wine.wooters, or am I the only one?

Create a thread asking. Best way to find others close to you.

And you can use this as well ....

Edit: Also, kylemittskus posted a template we use to keep track of who's coming, theme, etc. on the first page.

Best thing is to look at one of the older gathering threads (Chicago, NoVA/DC, SoCal, (any of the #12 and older) etc.) and see how it starts. Usually incoherently.

MarkDaSpark

bethannem wrote:What are the Wine.Woot get togethers?? What are yall doing there and can you share some tips on getting one happening in the New Orleans area??
Thanks yall!!

Just some suggestions for starting discussion in your gathering thread ....

1) Someone has to bite the bullet and offer to host the gathering by suggesting dates that are open for them.

2) You could find a restaurant with no corkage fee (no charge to open a wine bottle you bring) or one that will offer a 1 to 1 no corkage (you buy one of their wines, and they open one of yours).

3) Or host it at your house or local community room. KKV in NoVA/DC once held it in her building's community room. We all had to chip in for the cleanup fee, but it was minimal.

4) Another suggestion is to schedule it close to a wine function/event that's being held locally. Or a historical event. NoVA/DC mentioned the Manassas/Bull Run re-enactment in July.

5) Or do like we did in Southern Calif .... go to a wine area (Temecula) and tour some wineries.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, I think that's most of the hints from the Get Together threads. Now onto the latest update ...

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 24th.

March Madness is in full swing! Why not mourn your busted brackets among your wine drinking brethren? Host a Get-Together in your area!

March
3/30: SoCal #24: Aged Zins
3/30: Atlanta #1

April
TBD: SoCal Special: Wine from Neil's Trunk Because you can always something special in the back of some dude's vehicle... (Postponed)
4/6: Colorado #?
4/6: Missouri: Jefferson City
4/19: Ohio Wine.Woot Table at the Wine Dinner

May
5/4: NorCal: Vincent Arroyo Open House

June
6/1: NorCal Bordeaux Tasting

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of March 24th.

March Madness is in full swing! Why not mourn your busted brackets among your wine drinking brethren? Host a Get-Together in your area!

April
4/6: Colorado #?
4/6: Missouri: Jefferson City
TBD: SoCal Special: Wine from Neil's Trunk Because you can always something special in the back of some dude's vehicle... (Postponed)

May
TBD: SoCal #25: Pasta Making at zTimBz's place (Lakewood), TBD (April/May) Could move to April

June
6/1: NorCal Bordeaux Tasting

Pending

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab.

Edit: Note that the list link above will take you to the new thread in the Gatherings Tab.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

Mark - you should update all the text in your posts about posting threads. They should all reflect our new Gatherings tab.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Gee whiz! Go away for a week and the whole world changes!

cjsiege

List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 7th

Spring has sprung! The Cherry Blossoms are blooming! Why not pop open some bubbly and share with your wine drinking brethren? Host a Get-Together in your area!

April
TBD: SoCal #25: Pasta-making!

May

June
6/1: NorCal Classified Bordeaux Tasting

Pending

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 7th

Spring has sprung! The Cherry Blossoms are blooming! Why not pop open some bubbly and share with your wine drinking brethren? Host a Get-Together in your area!

April

May

June

Pending

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

Um, the link at the top still goes to the old Gatherings thread, not to the new one in this Tab. And you left out the postponed SoCal Trunk thing!

See, you should have copied my post above!!

cjsiege

MarkDaSpark wrote:Um, the link at the top still goes to the old Gatherings thread, not to the new one in this Tab. And you left out the postponed SoCal Trunk thing!

See, you should have copied my post above!!

I left out the SoCal trunk thing intentionally, since there is no reschedule and it will have to migrate over to this tab anyway.

The other thing... meh. I'll catch it next time around. Quality of work is directly proportional to the amount paid for it.

cjsiege

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 14

Spring has sprung! Time to fire up the grill and open that big-assed red before the weather gets too hot to drink big-tannin wines. Host a Get-Together in your area!

April

May

June

Pending

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 22

Spring has sprung! Time to fire up the grill and open that big-assed red before the weather gets too hot to drink big-tannin wines. Host a Get-Together in your area!

May
5/4: SoCal #25: Pasta-making!

June

Pending

MarkDaSpark

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 29

May
5/4: NorCal #16: Vincent Arroyo Open House
5/4: SoCal #25: Pasta-making!

June
6/1: NorCal #17: Classified Bordeaux Tasting
6/15: NorCal #18: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa

Pending

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

What is the general consensus about Interest threads? Create individual interest threads under the Gatherings tab or wait until there is an actual gathering being planned? Maybe there should be a single generic Interest thread under Gatherings for all potential get-togethers. That way we don't risk the Gatherings tab being littered with abandoned interest threads a couple years from now. Once the gathering is in the actual planning stages, it can be broken out into its own thread.

Thoughts?

EDIT: The "One stop destination" thread for past get-togethers is the kind of thread I am suggesting for the initial "Interest" phase. Those who do not need to gauge initial interest to determine whether or not a gathering will take place can skip right to an individual gathering/planning thread like the current NorCal listings.

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 5

Cinco de Mayo! A perfect theme for your next local Get-Together! Host a Get-Together in your area!

May
5/24: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland

June
6/1: NoVA/DC #29: Second Annual Picnic By The Pool
6/15: DFW #?: Sakhuu Thai Please RSVP by June 7.

Pending

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:What is the general consensus about Interest threads? Create individual interest threads under the Gatherings tab or wait until there is an actual gathering being planned? Maybe there should be a single generic Interest thread under Gatherings for all potential get-togethers. That way we don't risk the Gatherings tab being littered with abandoned interest threads a couple years from now. Once the gathering is in the actual planning stages, it can be broken out into its own thread.

Thoughts?

EDIT: The "One stop destination" thread for past get-togethers is the kind of thread I am suggesting for the initial "Interest" phase. Those who do not need to gauge initial interest to determine whether or not a gathering will take place can skip right to an individual gathering/planning thread like the current NorCal listings.

That sounds like a great plan ... although having to search thru it might be a pain. Perhaps 4 or 5 threads, such as Mid-Atlantic, South, Northeast, Central, etc.?

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 12

Temps are warming up! It's almost time to break out those summery whites!!! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

May

June
TBD: SoCal #26: Wine and Burgers

August
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending

MarkDaSpark

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 19

Temps are warming up! It's almost time to break out those summery whites!!! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

May

June
6/15: SoCal #26: Wine and Burgers

July
TBD: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August

Pending

cjsiege

Thank you, Sparky! Yesterday was a day where I did a lot of things in my head, but not in the real world...

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Thank you, Sparky! Yesterday was a day where I did a lot of things in my head, but not in the real world...

Glad you are okay!

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 26

The Unofficial Start of Summer is here! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

June

July

August

Pending
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

cjsiege

Double the posts -- double the fun!

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Double the posts -- double the fun!

Decided since you posted twice to take this week off?

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 3

The Unofficial Start of Summer is here! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

June

July

August

Pending

cjsiege

MarkDaSpark wrote:Decided since you posted twice to take this week off?

You know me too well!

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:You know me too well!

You didn't post this week!!!!

Edit: Oops, didn't see your post in the Pub!

MarkDaSpark

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 10

June
6/22: NorCal #18 - Francophile Solstice, June 22nd in Santa Clara
TBD (6/14 or 15?):Chicago Gathering at Millennium Park 6/14 or 6/15

July

August
8/3? TBD: NorCal #19: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa

Pending

MarkDaSpark

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 17

June
6/22: NorCal #18 - Francophile Solstice, June 22nd in Santa Clara

July
TBD (7/13?): SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come

Pending
TBD:Chicago Gathering at Millennium Park 6/14 or 6/15

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 23

Happy Solstice, Everyone! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/13: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?

Pending

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 1

Happy Independence Day, Everyone! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/20: NorCal #19: Theme Still Under Discussion

August
8/3: NorCal #?: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa

Pending

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 7

The Dog Days of Summer have arrived. Why not cool down that puppy with a White Wine or Sangria gathering? Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July

August

Pending

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.[/quote]

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 14

The Dog Days of Summer have arrived. Why not cool down that puppy with a White Wine or Sangria gathering? Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/27: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux

August

Pending

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 21

Folks are looking to get together in Houston, Atlanta, and Omaha. Anyone else out there??? Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/27: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux

August

September
9/7: NorCal #19: PS Night

Pending

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area.

New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 05

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

August
8/10: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #27 - If we open them, he will come
8/10: Chicago: Cocktails in the Garden

September
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending

cjsiege

New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 11

As the summer winds, down, it's time to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

August

September
Labor Day Weekend: Visiting Vegas for the Weekend!
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!

October

Pending

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 18
As the summer winds, down, it's time to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August

September
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!
TBD: Atlanta #1

October

Pending

MarkDaSpark

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 25

September
9/8 or TBD: NorCal #21 Halcón Vineyards Tasting or TBD
9/20: Wine & Appetizer - Lamont

October

Pending

cjsiege

Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 1
Summer may be unofficially over, but it's never to late to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

September
9/20: Chicago #?: Wine & Appetizers in Lemont

October

Pending

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 1
Summer may be unofficially over, but it's never to late to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

September
9/20: Chicago #?: Wine & Appetizers in Lemont

October

Pending

About time you showed up!! I can't do your job too, I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.