WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Skillet Bacon Spread Cured & Uncured (4)

Speed to First Woot:
4m 17.330s
First Sucker:
hawkeystan
Last Wooter to Woot:
lilywhitekitten
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 44% of Wine Woots
Top 47% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 34% of Wine Woots
Top 29% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 4% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 17% < 10 woots
  • 28% < 25 woots
  • 48% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 4% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 11% one year old
  • 83% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 91% bought 1
  • 6% bought 2
  • 3% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

10%
5%
4%
1%
1%
2%
3%
12%
9%
9%
7%
6%
5%
4%
2%
2%
3%
1%
2%
1%
3%
3%
2%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1565 Private Messages Cesare

Skillet Bacon Spread Cured & Uncured 4-Pack
$28.99 $̶3̶9̶.̶9̶9̶ 28% off List Price
Original Flavor, 7oz.
Fennel and Black Pepper, 7oz.
Uncured Original Flavor, 7oz.
Uncured Fennel and Black Pepper, 7oz.

Website

Previous offer:
5/31/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Bacon....!

CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Bacon....!

On Passover, no less!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

CrystalSinger

quality posts: 7 Private Messages CrystalSinger

Bought these once months ago. Not particularly excited by them, and I LOVE bacon.

T

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of good reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) on the Original Uncured flavor over at amazon

Staticbzzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Staticbzzz

Bacon spread? Fo shizzle???

ArcanixSoulstar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ArcanixSoulstar

I bought these the last time it came around on this site, and was less than impressed. One jar had spoiled during shipping. The bacon flavor is really muted and this stuff tastes greasy when cold. I'd just rather have normal bacon, thanks.

tikipunkgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikipunkgirl

In Seattle, Skillet is a food truck known for their "bacon jam." Honestly, once I tried it I really didn't see the big whoop as the bacon just wasn't that prominent. Disappointed with the original and if it's anything close you should probably save your money or make your own. Nuff said.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I have had the cured versions. It's pretty good, though it seems more like a BBQ flavor than bacon.

thespiansmc

quality posts: 20 Private Messages thespiansmc
ArcanixSoulstar wrote:I bought these the last time it came around on this site, and was less than impressed. One jar had spoiled during shipping. The bacon flavor is really muted and this stuff tastes greasy when cold. I'd just rather have normal bacon, thanks.

or make it yourself!

http://bakedbree.com/bacon-jam

sinsemilla

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sinsemilla

"Uncured bacon spread"? That is impossible. Bacon is a cured pork product by definition.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

This product is a sham. I tried it when I was sick and it didn't cure anything!

Karzon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Karzon
sinsemilla wrote:"Uncured bacon spread"? That is impossible. Bacon is a cured pork product by definition.

Uncured anything is a myth. Curing uses nitates. "Uncured" products use celery, which contains nitrates.

So it's exactly the same, but tastes worse.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
Karzon wrote:Uncured anything is a myth. Curing uses nitates. "Uncured" products use celery, which contains nitrates.

So it's exactly the same, but tastes worse.

Thanks, was just going to post something along the same line...
it is essentially a lie calling something uncured when celery juice/powder/concentrate is added.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
andreaserben wrote:Thanks, was just going to post something along the same line...
it is essentially a lie calling something uncured when celery juice/powder/concentrate is added.

So true.In fact Cooks Illustrated had some "uncured: bacon brands tested and they had more nitrates than ordinary bacon!

karruttopp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karruttopp
dave17 wrote:So true.In fact Cooks Illustrated had some "uncured: bacon brands tested and they had more nitrates than ordinary bacon!

Yes but they are naturally occurring nitrates so of course that makes it "better". (Sarcastic voice)

Zippy The Pinhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zippy The Pinhead

I love bacon, especially really good specialty bacon. This stuff, not so much. The bacon flavor is not prominent and it requires heating or it tastes greasy. I have tried it several different ways and am less than happy.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

timp3000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timp3000

I agree with the comments that the bacon flavor is questionable. The pepper and fennel I use SPARINGLY as those flavors are overpowering. I mix this with eggs when I scramble them. Best when used in small amounts with something, not really great on its own, like just spread on toast.

ParadiseDave

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ParadiseDave

"It's a floor wax."

"No, it's a dessert topping!"

Guess I can use it to grease the skids once my viking ship is ready to launch. Eating it just seems... disgusting. AKA "Li'l Lisa Slurry" for you Simpsons fans.

AGreathouse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AGreathouse
ArcanixSoulstar wrote:I bought these the last time it came around on this site, and was less than impressed. One jar had spoiled during shipping. The bacon flavor is really muted and this stuff tastes greasy when cold. I'd just rather have normal bacon, thanks.

I bought these about 6 months ago for my husband since he loves bacon but we ended up having the exact same experience. One jar had opened during shipping and the other jar I ended up throwing away. It had a spoiled smell to it when I opened it up and was so oily that it was unusable.

Amy Greathouse

shellie602

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellie602
dave17 wrote:So true.In fact Cooks Illustrated had some "uncured: bacon brands tested and they had more nitrates than ordinary bacon!

That's because the unnatural nitrates are regulated. So, the manufacturers add celery powder without really knowing how much nitrates (albeit naturally occurring ones) are being added.

Not to tell the whole world and make supply an issue but this stuff rules. You may argue that it isn't bacon because it doesn't have nitrates, nitrites, or sugar but it tastes like bacon to me. Smoked and salted pork belly FTW.

Grok on!

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=1186

IndigoHills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages IndigoHills

I too was underwhelmed by this product. BUT, they’ve added a lot of recipes on their website since I had last been there (a year ago), so it may be worth visiting for inspiration.

Bione

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Bione
thespiansmc wrote:or make it yourself!

http://bakedbree.com/bacon-jam

This stuff looks foul and contains a number of mysterious ingredients that I'm not sure I can replicate: even if "citrus four" means "citrus flour" I'm still not sure what that is.

However, I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to recreate this Frankenstein's monster of a mess. It looks like someone ate something tasty and then regurgitated it for our future "enjoyment."

Wine.Woot!: I know it's non-liquid Thursday, but why aren't there any WINE-filled chocolates on Easter? This is WINE woot, right? Not Bacon woot.

maggiecain

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maggiecain

I have dolloped this onto grilled steak and been pleased.

wooowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooowoot

Eewww. Ground up pig (uncured, no less) spilling out of a can. I really wish you'd left the lid on when you took this picture.

budrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages budrose

When we manage to get low on bacon drippings, we fry more bacon.

kbwoof15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kbwoof15

I got this one the last time it was on woot - the original and fennel combo. The fennel one came broken in the box but the woot folks were kind enough to ship me another.

The flavor of the original one is deceptively sweet. When you get something called "bacon spread" you expect it to taste like the smokey, salty, savory goodness that is bacon. Instead it's like a sugary smokey hamish flavor. There is also an intense layer of lard that accumulates in the jar and can be quite unappetizing.

If you like sweet bacon then get this, but if like me you prefer your bacon salty it's a pass.

pwoznic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pwoznic

Looks like all the hipster foodies in Portland couldn't resist.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

last few days the comments have been hammering woot, what happened to our woot? sad

yekrubhpesoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yekrubhpesoj

Bought it just to try it, now what the heck am I gonna do with it? Any recipes? I'll figure something out, but any suggestions?

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Nutritionists must be rolling their eyes. Someone actually found a way to take bacon and turn it into something worse.

Of course, it's probably very yummy and everyone should buy 3.

ryancorlew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryancorlew

Have fun with the sodium nitrates. Butt cancer, here we come.

billjac2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billjac2000

I got this last time around and enjoyed it spread on toast with orange marmalade or pickles. Don't expect it to be liquid bacon--it's more like smokey rillettes--so you have to treat it like charcuterie, pairing it with cheese, pickles, chutney, etc.

That said, seven bucks a jar is a bit excessive, particularly for four kind of samey flavors.

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

The labels remind me of those memes from someecards.com.

zoppashotgun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoppashotgun

30 dollars? I can make 28 oz. of this for 5. And this is NOT hard to make at home.

btuck895

quality posts: 1 Private Messages btuck895

Rub some bacon on it!

clangle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages clangle

I loves me some bacon but this just looks......blech.

thespiansmc

quality posts: 20 Private Messages thespiansmc
Bione wrote:This stuff looks foul and contains a number of mysterious ingredients that I'm not sure I can replicate: even if "citrus four" means "citrus flour" I'm still not sure what that is.

However, I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to recreate this Frankenstein's monster of a mess. It looks like someone ate something tasty and then regurgitated it for our future "enjoyment."

Bacon Jam is actually really amazing; a local food truck here in Boston made it well, and they gave me the recipe (they moved onto a brick and mortar).

alliemda

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alliemda
pwoznic wrote:Looks like all the hipster foodies in Portland couldn't resist.

Not to mention... New Hampshire. "Live free or die!"

PS Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to frame this joke. Assuming it can even be called a joke. Argh.