2010 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard
2011 Upper Bench Merlot, Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard
2010 Ty's Red, Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

just a tad on the pricey side for something I'm going to have to cellar for 5+ years. Pass.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Ty Caton is always a winner at woot's prices. If I wasn't trying to save money I would have pulled the trigger already. (putting 90% of my disposable income into savings has really put a damper on my woot spending )

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
webdev511 wrote:just a tad on the pricey side for something I'm going to have to cellar for 5+ years. Pass.

What you talking about, Willis? These are all drink now, although the Cab and Ty's Red are thru 2017.

While the UB Merlot says to hold til 2015, I think that's wrong. I've always found his UBM ready to drink.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
webdev511 wrote:just a tad on the pricey side for something I'm going to have to cellar for 5+ years. Pass.

I drink these wines every day, they are tasting great now. They will get better over the next few years and hold at least 10 years.

/tycaton/

sailormercury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sailormercury

The Syrah that was offered a couple months ago was delicious. I wanted to lick my glass and sleep with the empty bottle so I could smell it but my boyfriend would have been jealous.

I am pondering just because I'm recovering from an expensive Vegas trip.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
TyCaton wrote:I drink these wines every day, they are tasting great now. They will get better over the next few years and hold at least 10 years.

Best part of being Ty Caton?

Drinking Ty Caton wine whenever you Bing, Bing, BING!ing want!

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

There have been quite a few Woot offerings lately that I have been interested in, but Woot's prices have certainly firmed up. I wish Woot still offered the steals it used to!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Between this and the Amador woot+ I could easily spend $400 I shouldn't to fill space I don't have. Clearly I must keep the SIWBM! (Although if somebody wanted to pass along a bottle of the Noceto or SH Barbera I'd help you out.)

At average $25/bottle + tax this is good but not great value. Ty has been able to raise his prices over the last few years, so we seem to not be getting the screaming deals that we used to. We should be happy to see him here at all!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Tunes4u

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tunes4u

Woot purchase #123 or something like that.....Ty is still a no brainer for me....Auto buy....let it sit, or drink it now....My only regret is that I can't afford more!

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking wine: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Just not seeing the value here compared to Ty's wine offers on other flash sale sites.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

Klezman = My thoughts exactly. I must say, I love Ty but haven't bought his Woot offerings since my last Tytanium purchase (late 2011). SH and Wellington have kept prices a little more competitive and remain my autobuys. I still pause every time I see TY offered, but then I go back and look at all of the great (comparable) wine I've purchased for >$20 and decided to pass. Today I am filling my cart on the Noceto.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Decent wine, poor QPR.

Is it broke or just fractured?

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

I was lucky enough to find the gem of the field blend that was offered here many years ago. Best QPR wine I have ever purchased. Since then I have gotten every Ty's Red and although always good, they haven't been as good as the field blend and always increasingly more expensive. I have thrown in a few of his varietal offerings over the years too.

I have to pass on this, like I have many of more recent Ty offerings. Perhaps I am drifting away from his style, or am more cautious with my spending, but it isn't doing it for me as much as it used to. Good for him he is able to sell his wine at those prices, bad for us.

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:There have been quite a few Woot offerings lately that I have been interested in, but Woot's prices have certainly firmed up. I wish Woot still offered the steals it used to!

Part of that is likely the changing wine market. My impression is that several years ago there was a real glut of good to premium quality wine on the market, which resulted in huge markdowns and discounts. Over the last two years I haven't seen nearly as many of those deals as before, anywhere - not just as woot.

As an example, which doesn't involve woot at all, several years ago it wasn't at all difficult to find sturdy dry Iberian and Italian red wines, aged 6 to 10 years, for under $12/bottle.

I used to see offering such as that monthly at the site I check out. Those deals started drying up about two years ago and I haven't seen them at all in the last year. If you are waiting for those steals that for many of us became the norm, I think that you will find they are few and far between.

I often see people laying blame at the feet of Amazon. To me that a classic example that correlation is not causation. As far as I can tell, this is an industry wide situation, where supply is rebalancing with demand.

jennykao76

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jennykao76

Ty's wines are well worth the price. I've participated in many of his past offerings and have never been disappointed. I'd be in for 3 if money wasn't tight right now.

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome

Love Ty's wines so much, I joined his wine club. Even though cellar is slowly filling with his bottles, I'm still considering jumping into this. Never been disappointed.

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS
noslensj wrote:Part of that is likely the changing wine market. My impression is that several years ago there was a real glut of good to premium quality wine on the market, which resulted in huge markdowns and discounts. Over the last two years I haven't seen nearly as many of those deals as before, anywhere - not just as woot.

As an example, which doesn't involve woot at all, several years ago it wasn't at all difficult to find sturdy dry Iberian and Italian red wines, aged 6 to 10 years, for under $12/bottle.

I used to see offering such as that monthly at the site I check out. Those deals started drying up about two years ago and I haven't seen them at all in the last year. If you are waiting for those steals that for many of us became the norm, I think that you will find they are few and far between.

I often see people laying blame at the feet of Amazon. To me that a classic example that correlation is not causation. As far as I can tell, this is an industry wide situation, where supply is rebalancing with demand.

Thanks for sharing what you've seen in the market. Much like stocks and real estate were on sale a few years ago, wine was pretty cheap too. The market fundamentals have certainly changed and I have noticed that as well. Its just a bummer from the consumer side but its good for the wineries. I am not saying that this wine isn't worth the price, I'm saying that the prices have definitely firmed up. I did notice that the 2010 Winemakers Cuvee was on Woot yesterday for $19.99, so seems like a better QPR to me.

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
RyanANNAPOLIS wrote:I did notice that the 2010 Winemakers Cuvee was on Woot yesterday for $19.99, so seems like a better QPR to me.

If you navigate over to the World of Woot Wine forum and go to the thread on Deals on Wine and Other Accessories, you'll find an extensive discussion of the Caton WTSO offering.

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

I hate wine.woot sometimes... it's like they know when I am trying to save money and that's when they decided to put up a deal I'd love to get 3 of... I guess I'll have to live with 1.

Ty's wines for me are a must buy. Last time my wife and I drank a Ty's Battlefield Syrah it cured my wife's sore throat. True story!

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
avontron wrote:I hate wine.woot sometimes... it's like they know when I am trying to save money and that's when they decided to put up a deal I'd love to get 3 of... I guess I'll have to live with 1.

Ty's wines for me are a must buy. Last time my wife and I drank a Ty's Battlefield Syrah it cured my wife's sore throat. True story!

Wine does amazing things! Can I put this on my testimonials page? FDA approval?

/tycaton/

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Decided to go in on this deal. I probably would have gotten an extra set if it was a little cheaper but regardless of QPR vs. other deals, I know that I cannot get any of these 3 specific wines/vintages for less anywhere else. In the end, I'll care a lot more about how they drink than what I paid for them and I'm confident that I'll enjoy the way they drink.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7
chipgreen wrote:In the end, I'll care a lot more about how they drink than what I paid for them.

You know what woot's slogan is? One deal a day. Price is pretty much by definition an important factor in finding a deal. If it was simply will you enjoy the wine, then I am sure there are countless three-figure Barolos that I would not be disappointed with. Yet, that isn't a deal or why I check woot.

Besides when the winemakers come in and chat, which is why I come here, the discussion has pretty much devolved into those who defend woot and those who are critical, and no one can be in the middle.

Back in the glory days of woot, you could buy a wine and pretend you had a shot at being a lab rat, and part of the discussion. Nowadays, it is the same people who are always privy to the woot gatherings, tours, etc. Or hang out at the tasting room every other weekend. That is great for Californians and others with tons of disposable income, but it doesn't sell us once-in-a-while, but always browsing the forums, people on the wine.

It just seems like a club that I am not part of, and if I dare be critical of a deal, I am given arm-chair economist reasons about how in the glory days we got better wine (which tacitly admits this isn't as good of a deal as it once was while simultaneously saying it is a good deal). What is the response? Go try and find a bottle of this quality at the supermarket.

AGREED! That is why I am here in the first place. That doesn't negate the QPR of the discussion. There are emerging AVAs and wineries that are delivering great wine for a song. Since the consumers on woot are prone to seek out deals and not just go buy plonk at the grocery store. So those responses mean little to people seeking the best value.

I don't want to come off as critical of this offering. I absolutely love Ty Caton, and he has been able to increase his prices due to his, deserved, popularity. But, can we just stop with the same 20 people who were "randomly" labrats before, always can comments on the new wines, and are instantly dismissive on those who don't see the same "value" as you do since we don't know WineDavid by glance, and cannot reference our 3,000 bottle inventory each offering.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
keithnowak7 wrote:You know what woot's slogan is? One deal a day. Price is pretty much by definition an important factor in finding a deal.

I'm going to leave this entire post alone except for this part. By your definition, you should be buying Gallo jugs since it's the cheapest wine available. "Deal" can either be subjective or objective. Objectively, if you can't find these wines for cheaper, then this is a deal. Subjectively, it may not be worth you buying because the price. You're mixing the two and assuming that the subjective definition is universal. It isn't by, well, definition.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:...By your definition, you should be buying Gallo jugs since it's the cheapest wine available. "Deal" can either be subjective or objective.

You can't be serious. Cheapest ≠ deal.
And it's probably a good thing you left the rest alone, because it was pretty close to the mark. And I say that as one of the "in" crowd, who would recognize WD at sight, and vice versa.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mbmiche

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mbmiche
chipgreen wrote:Just not seeing the value here compared to Ty's wine offers on other flash sale sites.

I have to agree. Saw a single bottle of 2011 cabernet "winemakers cuvee for 19.99 just yesterday...

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:You can't be serious. Cheapest ≠ deal.
And it's probably a good thing you left the rest alone, because it was pretty close to the mark. And I say that as one of the "in" crowd, who would recognize WD at sight, and vice versa.

I don't for a second think cheapest = deal. However, I do think that if something is available for cheaper than it is anywhere else, that is a deal. Price only matters when compared to other prices.

The part about the criticisms vs defense is accurate. But it exists because there are those who want to criticize instead of discussing the wine, just as the OP did. "I hate this place. All anyone does is criticize it. And then people defend it. Speaking of, I hate the way it is now and I used to have a chance at blah blah blah."

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mbmiche wrote:I have to agree. Saw a single bottle of 2011 cabernet "winemakers cuvee for 19.99 just yesterday...

Just to clarify, that price was only $19.99 if you purchased 4 bottles. Doesn't deminish the deal, but you explicitly said "single" bottle.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
keithnowak7 wrote:You know what woot's slogan is? One deal a day.

Actually, that is is not their slogan any more, and hasn't been for quite some time. It did, however, used to be their slogan.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:Just to clarify, that price was only $19.99 if you purchased 4 bottles. Doesn't deminish the deal, but you explicitly said "single" bottle.

Just to further clarify, that was a completely different bottle of wine than the three being offered here.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

kylemittskus, just to be sure I understand you correctly:

• "cheaper" ≠ "deal"
    however
  • "cheapest" = "deal"

for example...
Gallo might be cheaper than a bottle of TY Caton, but its not a deal if you aren't drinking the cheapest Gallo availalble...

kylemittskus wrote:I don't for a second think cheapest = deal. However, I do think that if something is available for cheaper than it is anywhere else, that is a deal. Price only matters when compared to other prices...
"

kylemittskus

My point is a deal is an apple is selling for $1-2 everywhere. You find the same apple for $0.75. That's a deal. You may think that't too much for an apple in general, but if it's cheaper than anywhere else, than it's a deal comparatively.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Sooo......We are agreed.

Decent wine; poor QPR.

Next.

Is it broke or just fractured?

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000
keithnowak7 wrote:You know what woot's slogan is? One deal a day. Price is pretty much by definition an important factor in finding a deal. If it was simply will you enjoy the wine, then I am sure there are countless three-figure Barolos that I would not be disappointed with. Yet, that isn't a deal or why I check woot.

Besides when the winemakers come in and chat, which is why I come here, the discussion has pretty much devolved into those who defend woot and those who are critical, and no one can be in the middle.

Back in the glory days of woot, you could buy a wine and pretend you had a shot at being a lab rat, and part of the discussion. Nowadays, it is the same people who are always privy to the woot gatherings, tours, etc. Or hang out at the tasting room every other weekend. That is great for Californians and others with tons of disposable income, but it doesn't sell us once-in-a-while, but always browsing the forums, people on the wine.

It just seems like a club that I am not part of, and if I dare be critical of a deal, I am given arm-chair economist reasons about how in the glory days we got better wine (which tacitly admits this isn't as good of a deal as it once was while simultaneously saying it is a good deal). What is the response? Go try and find a bottle of this quality at the supermarket.

AGREED! That is why I am here in the first place. That doesn't negate the QPR of the discussion. There are emerging AVAs and wineries that are delivering great wine for a song. Since the consumers on woot are prone to seek out deals and not just go buy plonk at the grocery store. So those responses mean little to people seeking the best value.

I don't want to come off as critical of this offering. I absolutely love Ty Caton, and he has been able to increase his prices due to his, deserved, popularity. But, can we just stop with the same 20 people who were "randomly" labrats before, always can comments on the new wines, and are instantly dismissive on those who don't see the same "value" as you do since we don't know WineDavid by glance, and cannot reference our 3,000 bottle inventory each offering.

+1

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

Is it bad that the FedEx man just shows up to drop something off and ask me - what? No wine this time?

kylemittskus

lurcher wrote:Is it bad that the FedEx man just shows up to drop something off and ask me - what? No wine this time?

No; it's awesome.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Please do another offering of just the Ty's Red - PLEASE!

kylemittskus

time2testit wrote:Please do another offering of just the Ty's Red - PLEASE!

I have plenty if you want 1 or 2 at cost.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
kylemittskus wrote:My point is a deal is an apple is selling for $1-2 everywhere. You find the same apple for $0.75. That's a deal. You may think that't too much for an apple in general, but if it's cheaper than anywhere else, than it's a deal comparatively.

And suppose your family doesn't like apples. Suppose they like cigarettes. Is that a crime?